anyone using an x2 stem on their- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    I like endos
    Reputation: ParkerFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I suggest to first ride the bike, and only then invest 20% of it's value in a stem upgrade :-)
    Very funny clox. I see you're now against my "upgrade the redline" ideal as well. I stick my tongue out at you in defiance.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

  2. #2
    I like endos
    Reputation: ParkerFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    493

    anyone using an x2 stem on their

    rigid 29er? Strong enough? I'm wondering if the 17 rise would help level the bar with a flat bar on the redline. Even with a riser their 17" pic looks like saddle is higher than the bar with a 10 degree stem.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

  3. #3
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    There's nothing unique about the RL geometry. Regular BB height, and actually a longer-than-most 474mm fork. Frame size says very little about seat height.
    I suggest to first ride the bike, and only then invest 20% of it's value in a stem upgrade :-)

  4. #4
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    Very funny clox. I see you're now against my "upgrade the redline" ideal as well. I stick my tongue out at you in defiance.
    Actually, because I'm living life on a negative bike budget, I know it's not worth to throw money at a bike before you know it makes sense. To order an extreme stem because a prototype looked a certain way in a picture... Perhaps you're best served to run the specs through BikeCAD or Clary's Excel sheets to see where the handlebar will end up.
    And when it comes to esthetics (I'm hardly an expert there), I'd say that IF you need your handlebars way up in the air, it looks better to use an affordable stem and nice big-riser bar than a flipped 17º bling roady stem with so-so handlebar.
    Not sure, but the pics shown of the Monocog may have been with a shorter-than-production fork. It will be 474mm. 6mm longer than a KM, as a reference. BB height will be higher by around the same amound, so I guess you end up with around the same bar setup as you'd run on a Medium KM, in case you ever tried one. Or Dos Niner, or...

  5. #5
    I like endos
    Reputation: ParkerFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Actually, because I'm living life on a negative bike budget, I know it's not worth to throw money at a bike before you know it makes sense. To order an extreme stem because a prototype looked a certain way in a picture... Perhaps you're best served to run the specs through BikeCAD or Clary's Excel sheets to see where the handlebar will end up.
    And when it comes to esthetics (I'm hardly an expert there), I'd say that IF you need your handlebars way up in the air, it looks better to use an affordable stem and nice big-riser bar than a flipped 17º bling roady stem with so-so handlebar.
    Not sure, but the pics shown of the Monocog may have been with a shorter-than-production fork. It will be 474mm. 6mm longer than a KM, as a reference. BB height will be higher by around the same amound, so I guess you end up with around the same bar setup as you'd run on a Medium KM, in case you ever tried one. Or Dos Niner, or...
    Yeah, actually my "bling the monocog" ideal has taken some hits from a little thing called "reason" since my post last night. I sort of decided that I was getting too hyped about blingy parts from reading these boards and instead if I'm going to replace parts on the monocog I should stick to nice parts that are reasonably priced, and maybe spend a little more cash on things like disc brakes (which despite my recent posts trying to convince myself otherwise- I really like) and on some 180 cranks and less on things like Thomson stuff, which really doesn't matter anyway. I actually have a Syncros 330x26.8 hardcore post lying around I should try to make work before I go buying another $70 seatpost. That $70 could be better spend on some used Turbine 180 crankarms. And when you get down to it, FSA stems are much cheaper and lighter than thomson and you can get them even cheaper on Ebay. It's just that damn thomson looks so good! But I am building this bike to ride, not look at, and sometimes it takes a while for me to get over the "new bike" lustiness and remember that Thomson stuff won't make me faster.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    355
    I'm a Thomson distributor, so if anybody should be excited about you buying an X2 it should be me.

    That having been established, I'd recommend that you take a few deep breaths and come back to earth. Cloxxi is right.

  7. #7
    I like endos
    Reputation: ParkerFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    I'm a Thomson distributor, so if anybody should be excited about you buying an X2 it should be me.

    That having been established, I'd recommend that you take a few deep breaths and come back to earth. Cloxxi is right.
    I'm pretty sure what I just said was basically "Last night I took a few deep breaths and decided not to buy any thomson stuff. Disc brakes and longer cranks are more important"
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,599
    I think the X2 would be cool. Doesn't Thomson's site say that it clamps stronger then the old Elite? I say you should do it. You should also ignore anyone who says you shouldn't be spending lots of $$$ on a cheap frame. It's your frame, and your money, do what you like and have fun too.

  9. #9
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    I have riden an X2 off-road on my Dean and on my cross bike (it has been swapped back and forth) and I have found that it was more than up to the task. Very strong, I wouldn't worry about it.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.