Anyone running Tubulars (aka sew-ups) ?- Mtbr.com
    Sweep the leg!

Anyone running Tubulars (aka sew-ups) ?

I saw the Dutch rule post and thought "oh sh!t, there goes my plans if they have that apply to po-dunk WORS"

I just picked up a set of inexpensive disc hubs I'll build up on Campy Victory Crono/Strada rims and use my extra set of Vittoria Tigre cyclocross tubulars. I was planning to use them on the smoother courses on the Rig.

Anyone else done this?

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    I saw the Dutch rule post and thought "oh sh!t, there goes my plans if they have that apply to po-dunk WORS"

I just picked up a set of inexpensive disc hubs I'll build up on Campy Victory Crono/Strada rims and use my extra set of Vittoria Tigre cyclocross tubulars. I was planning to use them on the smoother courses on the Rig.

Anyone else done this?

I will be running Tufo tubular clinchers this next fall for cross, to expensive to use them until then. Not on my mtb though.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Feb 2006

I wish I was Frischy

Thomas Frischknecht (sp?) has some custom tubulars made for his carbon wheelset for racing MTB. That would be a sick ride.

I ran Tufo tubulars on my cross bike this year, they were amazing. On dry mtb courses that are fairly smooth I would consider running them, especially if you're cool with running a narrower tire. The problem is I don't have a disc tubular wheelset built. There's been tlak of a UCI rule change to allow disc in 'cross, if that happens I would build some and run the wheels on my cross and mountain bikes depending on course conditions.

You should see if dugast would build a bigger custom tubular. They do some sweet custom tires. That's an expensive flat though.

Recovering couch patato
    Frischknecht does run Dugast with his sponsor's tread on it, in 650c. Heavy, but he seems to think it's worth the traction and possibly rolling resistance. He even went disc rather than V, against his principals, to be able to run these tubulars, on carbon rims.

Rumor has it Dugast took orders for a couple 29" tubulars each in 2004, just in case, from some worldclass riders. The website does list that you can order up to 45mm casings. You could have a Kenda Karma or NoTubes Crow tread stuck to it. Then, both those tires are not exactly bad, and can be run latex-tubuless, on superlight Stan's rims, that are even V-ready. Why bother with the tubulars? I'd love to try such frankentires once, but the COST... I think you'd also need wider tubular rims, standard 20mm once are not going to suffice for the super-low pressure and wide casing.

I've ridden fast 26" tires ca 2002 on latex-tubeless on a few occasions, I sincerely doubt whether custom tubulars will ever be worth it for mere mortals. Just the idea that a 29" setup with 2002 technolgy would roll EVEN faster than that is mind-blowing to me.
    Tires have come a long way, and are faster still than in 2002. It can't take long until we get more tires like the Karma, and sealent-based tubeless is here to stay as well.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    My Kingdom for trade!!
    33-tooth and 44-tooth 110mm/5-arm chainrings
    Cloxxki,

You may want to check out http://www.gebhardt.cz they will do chainrings in whatever confuguration you like, and at a very reasonable price.

Sam

mtbr member
    I run Tufo T34s everywhere, they're good on the road and fine on the trail. I've banged them through rocks and roots from the desert to the forest, and have been running the front for almost a year, riding at least 5x per week.

The tires are ~400g, and I'm using Reflex rims at ~375g, so there are some serious weight saving to be had as well...RC

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm buiding a pair of wheels using mavic paris roubaix(spell check) rims and 34mm tufos for doing long dirt road rides, cross racing and acceptable xc courses.

Members who have read this thread: 0