Anyone purchase a frame from Canada ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone purchase a frame from Canada ?

I am in the US and am looking to purchase a used frame from a private seller in Canada. Shipping cost isn't an issue but I have not been able to figure out taxes, duties, fee's etc ? I have contacted the seller and he isn't 100% sure if I will be hit with fee's or not. How does it all work Thanks.

Ariolimax columbianus
    declare the item as a gift and don't mention the selling price. i've shipped a few things to canada through ebay sales.

Off the back...
    When the guy goes to the post office/UPS/FedEx/whatever, he just declares the value on the form. Lower value >> lower duty. If you go to the US customs website, I'm sure they'll have a list of fees, whatever. The package can also be declared as a gift as mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    When the guy goes to the post office/UPS/FedEx/whatever, he just declares the value on the form. Lower value >> lower duty. If you go to the US customs website, I'm sure they'll have a list of fees, whatever. The package can also be declared as a gift as mentioned above.
    So what about insurance ? If a 2k dollar frame is insured for that amount how do you set the value lower. I have googled customs, taxes, duties etc. and it is confusing to say the least. I was just wondering if someone purchased a frame / bike from canada and directly experienced the process / fee's. I purchased an auto part years ago from Canada - paid thru Paypal and a week after I receive a letter / bill for fee's for an item w/ a value over $400

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    So what about insurance ? If a 2k dollar frame is insured for that amount how do you set the value lower.
    You can't. If it's declared as a $50 value that's what you'd get for insurance if it's damaged.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    You can't. If it's declared as a $50 value that's what you'd get for insurance if it's damaged.
    Exactly, which is one reason I won't sell items on ebay to anybody outside the US unless they fully understand I declare full value for items so that they package can be insured at full value as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Who turned out the lights
    I have shipped to and received from Canada on Ebay sales. This is not really "new product" sales type shipping, at least in my mind. I simply put that I was shipping some of their property to them (and vice versa). Declare the actual value, b/c if it gets damaged (and you're more prone to damage on the international) or you'll get screwed if it's damaged.

I view the whole duties/tax thing like I do on Ebay/Craigslist/Garage Sale sales here in the US - you don't charge tax b/c it's not new. It's just used goods. If it's new, you'd be buying from a shop, and they would know the rulings on it. You're just buying from some person, so in my opinion, it should not be up for duties/taxes. I simply find that shipping to another country is a pain in the a$$ b/c you have to fill out the customs paperwork and you pretty much either have to go to the post office or FedEx. FedEx is a little easier than USPS, but they are a little more expensive. It's still more hassle than it's ususally worth for me, so I try to exclude anything outside CONUS.

Old-newbie
    I bought a bike from Canada about a year and a half ago. I got hit for almost 10% in tariffs when the bike was delivered. I never could figure out the fee schedule, so I chalked it up to experience. Then about 2 months later I got a check and a letter saying that I had been overcharged and it was picked up in an audit. I believe that the shipper declared it as a used bike made in Taiwan. I think that I got lucky.

I would not under-declare the value. Bikes are too easy to damage in shipping.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have an issue w/ international ebay sales because I won't sell outside of the US. I have made a few international ebay small dollar purchases - nothing over $50. Anyways, my op wasn't about ebay or sales, it seems like international shipping is vague and confusing for many people - lots of red tape. Another side note Paypal doesn't seem to give the same purchase protection if a purchase are made outside of ebay. If I were making a small purchase of small value or lack of insurance would be ok.
    Last edited by keen; 01-18-2011 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    If you use USPS or Canada Post, the customs charges are not outrageous, straight forward and something you can live with. However if you use UPS, they will charge you up the ass with not only customs charges but also custom brokerage fees and a whack of other made up fees that make your experience suck in the end. I have no problems with buying and selling to US/Canada using USPS or Canada Post. Not sure about other shipping companies like FedEx but UPS definitely a rip off company and I hope they go under.

Members who have read this thread: 0