anyone here ride at ray's?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

anyone here ride at ray's?

http://www.raysmtb.com/

Can't believe it's only a mile from my house.

mtbr member
    Just saw about that in the new MBA at the store. A valid concept, and looks like a good way to get comfortable on stunts. I would have to say though that it would probably not be as efficient on a 29"er, dependent on the rider of course. But for sure if I was going through there on a rainy day I would like to ride there and check it out.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Recovering couch patato
    If I had money, I'd open one of those here!
    Do they have a climbing trail? Over here in snowboard halls they have like walking lanes that go up, so you can ride them down. Would be cool for slalom action, too.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Let me ask my wife

Not yet...

but I hope to get up there soon. I live in Wooster, home of the "Vulture's Knob," and it's only a short trip from here. If you get over there let me know what you think. I wonder how fun it'll be on SS Slingshot 29er?
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F. Kennedy

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If I had money, I'd open one of those here!
    I wonder how much money it'd actually take? I bet you could find plenty of local riders to volunteer labor during construction in exchange for food and drink (that's what Ray's did). After that you're left with lease of the warehouse, insurance, building materials...what else? It might not be all that expensive.

Recovering couch patato
    Plenty kids to build it, but a place that size costs a fortune here in Western Europe. I've got some cool ideas for such a thing that would just beat the heck out of wind trainers.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Dec 2004

cost

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I wonder how much money it'd actually take? I bet you could find plenty of local riders to volunteer labor during construction in exchange for food and drink (that's what Ray's did). After that you're left with lease of the warehouse, insurance, building materials...what else? It might not be all that expensive.
    I've talked informally with Ray about this, and it's actually a lot of money and time. He's just hoping to get his money back and make it sustainable. He's in the home remodeling business so he already had the tools and the know how. I think the building was around $2 per square foot and most of the labor was in exchange for lifetime memberships. But after all of that you still have to pay someone to manage it, heat it, light it, etc.

I'm riding an xl x-cal and some of the turns seem a little tight for me. That's OK since they put shortcuts in to bypass those sections, just so long as you don't find riding something 4" wide 3 feet off the ground disturbing. I can clear all of the sport section but some parts scare me everytime. The expert section requires a lowered seat and platform pedals and more skill that I'm currently not willing to learn.