anyone have a ride report on the maxxis ignitors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

anyone have a ride report on the maxxis ignitors?

or are they not available yet?

Witty McWitterson
    SSmike was riding protos not too long back. I think he liked them so far. Mike, you on?
    Just a regular guy.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Still on Back Order
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Jul 2004

Good job! ride report maxxis ignitors

I have been riding them in the bay area with dry and wet muddy conditions and have found them to track really well, they shed mud pretty well would like them to have a bit more air volume but to date this has been my favorite tread pattern. They are kevlar bead and i use them on zipp 505 with tubes.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    SSmike was riding protos not too long back. I think he liked them so far. Mike, you on?
    Aye. Big "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" thumbs up. Been riding them for about 4 months.

mtbr member

Good job! Ignitor feed back

I have been riding these for four months now and they do work very well!
    From day one they felt very confidence inspiring. I was told these protos were 62 durometer , At first I did not think they were that soft ,but now, riding more in the wet I think they might be. Any how, after using them for a while, and then going back to the Kendas ,Bontys,Wtbs,Schwalbes and Ircs,I realize these really do kick ass in most conditions, especialy wet weather.

My favorite set up is nano rear, ignitor front [the ignitor works great on the back I just like the speed of the nano].

Oh yeah I have been talking to the Schwalbe guys about a possible soft compound 2.35" fast fred? High volume, soft rubber, slightly faster knobs?.
    I will keep you posted.

Have a great New Year!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon jello
    I have been riding these for four months now and they do work very well!
    From day one they felt very confidence inspiring. I was told these protos were 62 durometer , At first I did not think they were that soft ,but now, riding more in the wet I think they might be. Any how, after using them for a while, and then going back to the Kendas ,Bontys,Wtbs,Schwalbes and Ircs,I realize these really do kick ass in most conditions, especialy wet weather.

My favorite set up is nano rear, ignitor front [the ignitor works great on the back I just like the speed of the nano].

Oh yeah I have been talking to the Schwalbe guys about a possible soft compound 2.35" fast fred? High volume, soft rubber, slightly faster knobs?.
    I will keep you posted.

Have a great New Year!
    Have you run them tubeless?

Recovering couch patato
    If you get Schwalbe to do a Qualifier Compound non-snake skin, non/ORC, 2.35" Fast Fred, I'll make you man of the year and cancel the award show!

I said this years ago, but that tire if just amazing in 26" already. I have samples that had 56/57mm carcass, and were 495g. 550g/29" is doable.
    The 26x2.35" just hoovers over sand, and cornering speeds in dry forest are just unlimited, the thing has suction to the soil or somthing. I rode up sanddunes with that tire. Only to be believed when seen in person. In a beachrace, I overtook a whole starting field from the back, by not dismounting for the loosest of sand to reach the shore line. Rolling resistance in 26" already is WAY less than a Nano in 29", a 29" Fat Fred (they'll have to use that name, and size denomination) will just smoke all rolling resistance tests.
    Absolutely killer tire with rigid forks, one race season I only used the Freds and an alu rigid fork, I really felt invincible with that combo. My buddy that still rides the 26" Freds, totally outrolls me on any coaster downhill, and he's the same weight.
    My girlfriend won't ride anything else than 2.35" Freds when it's dry, any other tire seems like a waste of energy to her.

Again, PLEASE : No Snakeskin, No ORC, just the 29" version of the 2.35" tire they first introduced, THAT was the best version of the tire. They've made them narrower and heavier since.
    Just very maybe Evolution carcass, as long as the Qualifier Compound is used. I'll pay good money for that, and come up with the race results to justify it.
    With 29x2.35" Freds that are actually under 600g, I don't see myself using other tires for dry weather much. Maybe when things get really rocky.

Do your thing, I've tried all I could with Schwalbe, and have been hitting nothing but walls. Even my nicest emails were never replied to.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

tire choice for new england...

first of all,if i thought the fast fred was coming out i wouldn't be asking this question...but...i'm in the market for a new set of tires since i just moved from co to boston... dry to wet basically. I've been thinking the little albert sounded like a pretty good choice, or the kenda's.(i've been running mythos, the move gives me an excuse for new tires), first of all, do you know when the ignitors will be available, and should i wait for themor go with something else.? I talked to the maxxis guys in october at veloswap and they indicated about a week, but i've called almost every week and there is no answer...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Recovering couch patato
    I've always felt like Mr. Scrooche when it came to tires. Till I realized how little they cost compared to my regular bike expenditure, for a bike part that is all-deciding for speed, comfort, grip and traction. A supermarket bike with good tires can provide a decent ride (converted to SS), but a SS bike with the wrong tires for the condition can be a real pain. I did a ride once where my front Nano would clog up one revolution after touching the front brake, on slippery descends. Not fun.
    The Ignitors seem like a good addition to my tire pile, I'll get them for sure, if I can. I don't ride the wet too much (try to avoid that), not sure I have application for the LA's just now. You, just get them and when the Maxxis' hit, consider whether the LA"s leave something to long for or not. The width difference being so substantial between the two gives you some nice options for each trail.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

who has them for sale?

I can not find them anywhere?

Anyone got a source in the USA

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Jello
    I will keep you posted.
    Man, as soon as I read that I just knew Cloxxki would end up with a wet monitor.... :-)

Definitely good news though, that would be an AWESOME tyre.

Sam
    Last edited by Kolo; 01-07-2005 at 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Recovering couch patato
    It's hard to convince Schwalbe to do the right thing sometimes, but the things they come up with by themselves are not seldom spectacular. I'll even love the tire if they call it 28x2.35". How to convince them not to make it a heavy narrow tire, hmmm...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If you get Schwalbe to do a Qualifier Compound non-snake skin, non/ORC, 2.35" Fast Fred, I'll make you man of the year and cancel the award show!

I said this years ago, but that tire if just amazing in 26" already. I have samples that had 56/57mm carcass, and were 495g. 550g/29" is doable.
    The 26x2.35" just hoovers over sand, and cornering speeds in dry forest are just unlimited, the thing has suction to the soil or somthing. I rode up sanddunes with that tire. Only to be believed when seen in person. In a beachrace, I overtook a whole starting field from the back, by not dismounting for the loosest of sand to reach the shore line. Rolling resistance in 26" already is WAY less than a Nano in 29", a 29" Fat Fred (they'll have to use that name, and size denomination) will just smoke all rolling resistance tests.
    Absolutely killer tire with rigid forks, one race season I only used the Freds and an alu rigid fork, I really felt invincible with that combo. My buddy that still rides the 26" Freds, totally outrolls me on any coaster downhill, and he's the same weight.
    My girlfriend won't ride anything else than 2.35" Freds when it's dry, any other tire seems like a waste of energy to her.

Again, PLEASE : No Snakeskin, No ORC, just the 29" version of the 2.35" tire they first introduced, THAT was the best version of the tire. They've made them narrower and heavier since.
    Just very maybe Evolution carcass, as long as the Qualifier Compound is used. I'll pay good money for that, and come up with the race results to justify it.
    With 29x2.35" Freds that are actually under 600g, I don't see myself using other tires for dry weather much. Maybe when things get really rocky.

Do your thing, I've tried all I could with Schwalbe, and have been hitting nothing but walls. Even my nicest emails were never replied to.
    Do you like the tread pattern on the big Fast Fred more than the one on the big Racing Ralph? And what about the rolling resistance of the FF compared to the RR.

Recovering couch patato
    I have little experience with the RR, just the 2.1", more than a year ago, for 20-25mins in the maximum pace final of a group training. Very impressive. Rolled almost as fast as a FF, but I might base that more on German rolling test (~1W on 20) than on real feel, it was hard to call. Grip of the RR pattern is clearly superiour in anything not bone dry or loose sand, at least compared the FF. The RR is very much a race tire.
    Well, today I happen to also shortly have swapped bikes with a buddy I recall. Tacky but lame trails, 2.4" RR rear. Despite highish pressure, very good damping, especially for a 26" bike. Buddy will have to swap the tire to the front to check out handling with it, as all rear tires are essentially good enough for our trails.

My longing for the FF 29x2.35" started because of my love for the 26" version, but for the movement it maight be better to have a Racing Ralph 500-520g 29x2.1" or 29x550-570g 2.25" as those would be only slightly slower, but work for more types of riding/racing. The FF would only beat the RR on deep sand and rare high-rolling resistance dry trails. I'd love to have both tires in 29", in various widths, but the RR 2.1" would stand the best chance to convince pro's to for once throw a leg over a 29" bike and give it a go, and ultimately win a world cup with it.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Thanks, that was quite informative.

Recovering couch patato
    Don't you dare use that info for, *cough*, 26" purposes! ;-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Don't you dare use that info for, *cough*, 26" purposes! ;-)
    I wouldn't dream of it