• 08-08-2010
    CasualFan
    Anyone familiar with Novara?
    REI carries a house brand of bike called Novara. They've got a 29er that looks pretty sweet that's on clearance for only $763 (orig $900). Comes with a RockShox Dart 3, SRAM X-7 drivetrain, Avid BB5's, and WTB FX rims. To me, this sounds like a pretty damn good bike for the money. Can't seem to find many reviews on it. I guess just because of the lesser known brand. REI claims they can put better components on for less money due to eliminating the middle man. Seems to make sense. Any thoughts pro or con?
  • 08-08-2010
    4slomo
    There's a few reviews in the reviews section: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/n...7_1548crx.aspx
  • 08-09-2010
    eliflap
    Novara is a little town , 40km far from home , here in Italy
  • 08-09-2010
    GreenLightGo
    We've had a Novara 26" (Piedra) in the bike pool for 3+ years. Solid build, good construction, nice finish. It's a little heavier than the 26" counterparts from Specialized, but better parts spec (IMO) at the same price level.
  • 08-09-2010
    BryanR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CasualFan
    REI carries a house brand of bike called Novara. They've got a 29er that looks pretty sweet that's on clearance for only $763 (orig $900). Comes with a RockShox Dart 3, SRAM X-7 drivetrain, Avid BB5's, and WTB FX rims. To me, this sounds like a pretty damn good bike for the money. Can't seem to find many reviews on it. I guess just because of the lesser known brand. REI claims they can put better components on for less money due to eliminating the middle man. Seems to make sense. Any thoughts pro or con?

I actually just bought the Novara Ponderosa 29er a little over a month ago. So far its been a great bike and I haven't had any problems with it. Here in the near future I'm planning on going ahead and upgrading the brakes to the BB7's which Novara use to put on the ponderosa in previous years but for some reason decided to downgrade this year to the BB5's. Besides that everything else is of nice enough quality where I'm just going to upgrade as something breaks. Hope this helps.
  • 08-09-2010
    sslos
    FWIW, Novara is REI's house brand bike stuff.

Los
  • 08-09-2010
    big_papa_nuts
    I'd say I'm pretty familiar with Novara, I'm actually an REI "master tech".

Not a lot of bad things I can say about the bike. Brakes are a bit weak, hubs kinda suck if you ride in the wet a lot, and it's a little heavy but other then that it's a very solid bike. I rode an older 26" version till a few days ago and never had any real issues. And I ride with a guy (one of the supervisors from the store) who has the 29er, he has put a lot of miles on it and I actually think it's still bone stock, no problems yet.
  • 08-09-2010
    CasualFan
    Sounds good. Based on what you get for the money, it seems like a really good deal. I just might have to pick one up. Thanks for the replies.
  • 08-09-2010
    Zen_Turtle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eliflap
    Novara is a little town , 40km far from home , here in Italy

:) Riso, nebbia e zanzare...