Anyone ever use Shimano Nexus Hubs?- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

Anyone ever use Shimano Nexus Hubs?

Shimano makes a rear internal shifting hub, 3 and 7 speeds. You can order them with internal drum brakes. I'm considering using the 3-speed hub but wonder about its durability. Anyone use these?

Thanks

jrm
    mtbr member

They cant take it..

Quote Originally Posted by le Coq Rouge
    Shimano makes a rear internal shifting hub, 3 and 7 speeds. You can order them with internal drum brakes. I'm considering using the 3-speed hub but wonder about its durability. Anyone use these?

Thanks
    youll destroy it..riding dirt. Rohloff is the only game ..

Mar 2004
    GT is using the Nexus hub, albeit in the mid section of the bike and not as a rear hub, as a drivetrain for their internal gear'd DH bike.

Nov 2005
    I've used the 7 speed for skatepark riding. Things are tougher than most people give them credit for.

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by le Coq Rouge

Thanks
    I have a 7 speed on my cruiser. It feels like I am pedaling in oatmeal all of the time.
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

highly visible

Sram

My KM is set up with a 3-speed SRAM DualDrive Disc hub. Yes, Disc. Although this hub was designed to be used along with a derailer in a 3x9 system, you can also (as I have done) put a single BMX cog on it with lots of spacers, and run it as a pure 3-speed with no derailer nonsense. I'm in my second winter of commuting on this setup, and it's held up beautifully with zero maintenance other than occasional chain lubes. This hub is expensive, typically $200-250, but to me it's been worth every penny.

It's also turned out to be very efficient (I think SRAM may use a lighter weight oil), easily comparable to a derailer system when the chain is fairly clean -- and much more efficient than a derailer with a dirty chain. Internal gear hubs vary widely in efficiency - the following journal includes an exhaustive study: http://www.ihpva.org/pubs/HP52.pdf. Reportedly the new Shimano 8-speed Nexus hubs are all substantially more efficient than the 7-speed ones (which were awful), and the Red Stripe versions of the 8-speed hubs are more efficient yet.

I know someone who broke a SRAM hub mountain biking, but he's a very aggressive rider who does lots of jumping, and snapped the axle. Otherwise I think it would hold up just fine under recreational mountain biking as long as you are careful not to shift under heavy power. I would highly recommend using an indexed shifter designed for a 3-speed rather than some old friction shifter you might have lying around.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Reviewer/Tester

No good

One of my friends who is from Canada but lives here in AU "crunched" his Shimano 8 speed Nexus hub after a week of dirt and city riding. He is about 6'2 and the hub broke when he was riding it on the road on the way to a trail ride.

Of course Shimano replaced it, but he got rid of the new hub and purchased a Rohloff.

I don't think that the Nexus is up to offroad riding, it can't take the strain. I had the seven speed version for a while on a rigid cross bike, but after a few rides it started to make grinding noises, so I took it back to the shop and they replaced the hub. I sold it immediately.

I would love to see Shimano produce an 8 speed offroad hub that was strong enough to take a bashing like the Rohloff does, but can't see that happening in the near future, unfortunately.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    I've used 4 shimano Nexus, one SRAM DualDrive 3-speed, and several Rohloff's.

1st one was a Nexus 7s - lasted a few months on a mtb before the half-shaft broke.

2nd one was the warrenttee replacement, bike was stolen after 2 months.

3rd one came on a cruiser townie, still working.

Then I got the DualDrive, used off-road and it still lives, but it's sounding pretty gritty.

4th was the new Red-Band Nexus 8s - suposedly stronger, with needle bearings. I was going to test it on trails again as it sounds like it would survive off-road. But when it arrived, my mother-in-law needed a new bike, so it ended up on her new ride. I don't mind, it gets ridden every day. Have not got another one yet, they are not easy to come by in these parts.

My Rohloffs have been fine all along...

mtbr member
    There is also the Freeride Hubs.
    http://www.freeridehubs.com/index.html

Members who have read this thread: 0