Anyone Buy A Bike From Speedgoat?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone Buy A Bike From Speedgoat?

I demoed a Pivot Mach4 29er over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. Talked to a couple of LBS's and they quoted me $4500/ $4800, and I'll hafta add on tax. I can get the same bike from Speedgoat for $3800...but I'm a little leery about buying a bike from a shop thousands of miles away.

Anyone here buy a bike from them? If so, how was your experience?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They are legit. I prefer using a couple of the forum dealers but they are not Pivot dealers. You can simply offer your LBS $3,800 OTD or get it from Speedgoat.

mtbr member

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    They are legit. I prefer using a couple of the forum dealers but they are not Pivot dealers. You can simply offer your LBS $3,800 OTD or get it from Speedgoat.
    What he said.
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

mtbr member
    I've bought a lot things from Speedgoat and I have never had any problems. They are as "legit" as they come.

(was) Big in Japan
    Speedgoat is awesome.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I asked my LBS what it would cost to build the bike I demoed, they originally quoted $4800, and when I said I was looking to spend around $3800-$3900 they came down $300 on their price. But that doesn't include tax, which would add another 8%. They can build a nice Specialized for what I have to spend, but I really like the Pivot. Glad to hear that Speedgoat is legit, looks like I'll be calling them in the morning.

Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would negotiate with your LBS.
    1) It's end of season, they want the sale.
    2) Spending Local tax dollars is not a bad thing...at least on bikes and shops you will want in a pinch
    3) If you have any fit issues or adjustments your LBS (if good) will support you in a more convenient manner.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    SInce all the Pivot bikes are going tapered head tube for next year it seams you should be able to get a reasonable deal on a current frame. Perhaps your LBS is not aware of current pricing from Pivot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Got my Jet9 from speedgoat. They are great. Worked with me on fit, upgraded some parts to fit my size and style at no extra charge and when it came in damged from UPS they had the replacement part to me on tusday, I did not report the damage until saturday morning. It was the disk break pin keeper. BTW the box was mangled by ups with not a scratch on the bike just the broken pin keeper that I could have ridden without if needed. I have since purchased many parts from speedgoat without issue. I highly recomend them .

mtbr member
    here's another recommendation for speedgoat.

mtbr member

Speedgoat Rocks

Great shop and you should have no worries about buying a bike from them. Their sell a lot of prebuilt bikes at very competitive prices and it you go custom you can make all the changes you want until you get exactly what you are interested in.

I had a great sales rep who made some great suggestions on my custom build and was able to get me better parts and prices than the items I was looking at so they are very upfront and want to make sure you are happy.

They will also stand behind all everything they sell. I had a issue with a part and it was replaced immediately.

Great customer service, great prices & awesome pack and ship. I'm not a store employee, I'm just a guy who bought a bike from them.

mtbr member
    Got my Big Mama from them this spring. No problems. Easy to assemble and get out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    got a custom emd build from speedgoat, there was many days where we would have 15 - 20 emails back and forth in one day. they are very prompt and customer service is amazing, go for it, you will not regret it.

cbark

Where's Toto?
    Speedgoat -- a great bunch of folks with unbeatable product knowledge -- support before and after the sale. Highly recommended.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Speedgoat has pics on their site of all of the custom builds they've done, check it out. There's a lot of them. That tells you how many people trust them for the job and it may give you some build ideas.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the 'goat. Never bought a bike from them, but a fair amount of stuff over the years. Recommended.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Delirious Tuck
    They're my faux-LBS as they can get me stuff before my LBS can from QBP. They're awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    One thing to consider is that your LBS spent the money to have a 429 on hand as a trail demo. Without that investment you wouldn't have been able to test ride the bike. Speedgoat didn't have to eat the depreciation cost of that demo bike, and build it into the price of the other bikes they sell. It might not be worth the entire difference in the price between the LBS and Speedgoat, but it's worth something. How much it's worth is up to you.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    They also build very nice wheels too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully
    One thing to consider is that your LBS spent the money to have a 429 on hand as a trail demo. Without that investment you wouldn't have been able to test ride the bike. Speedgoat didn't have to eat the depreciation cost of that demo bike, and build it into the price of the other bikes they sell. It might not be worth the entire difference in the price between the LBS and Speedgoat, but it's worth something. How much it's worth is up to you.
    If they let me demo the bike for free that would be fine, but they didn't. And from the looks of the bike a *****e load of people have been riding it this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would much rather deal with speedgoat than any other shop even my LBS. They are faster and cheaper. I odered a custom built Lynskey a couple years back and they seriously earned their credit. I had to change frames as the Salsa Selmas were taking too long so that meant I had to change several other parts through the process. I cannot say enough good about them. My local shop is really cool but they don't carry a lot of stock for custom builds, I can usually get it faster and cheaper through speedgoat unless it is something i want them to build like wheels and parts i need their help installing.

After a few months of riding some play developed in the rear slider and speedgoat sent me a return label and got Lynskey to give me a brushed finish and blue decals for dirt cheap. perfect frame showed up a week later. I love those guys, a little teary eyed now. I wish I lived closer.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I drive past the Speedgoat store 3 days a week to and from work... I have not bought a complete bike for them, as I'm just getting into the sport and was shellshocked at the prices of their custom bikes. I have bought other smaller things from them.

For anyone else that is close, their building windows have been covered with brown paper and signs saying 'Renovation: store closed' have been up since Winter, does anyone know if they are ever opening their store up as a retail shop and not just online order?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgie
    If they let me demo the bike for free that would be fine, but they didn't. And from the looks of the bike a *****e load of people have been riding it this year.
    Interesting...most shops charge for demos, but apply that entire cost of demos to the costs of the new bike if you buy from them...ultimately making the demo free. I believe some shops have a limit...like only $400 of demos can be applied, whereas some shops it's everything...which could make your bike free if you demo enough.

This is how it's done most places around here (denver)...from bikes, to kayaks, to whatever else that is a similar type of sport/gear purchase.

I try to stay with the LBS (only because I have an awesome one), but I order online when prices are a huge difference...so don't feel bad either way...and don't let other people make you feel bad for online ordering.

mtbr member
    There are no bike shops where I live so Speedgoat is my bike shop for everything,
    I never got a whole bike or frame from them but a lot of different parts.
    They are easy to deal with, flexible, and quick.

I guess this what a good bike shop should be

mtbr member
    +1 for speedgoat

i bought a salsa el santo dual suspension frame [yeah i know, a 26", but it was before i saw the light!] and they spent some time to package it up properly to send it over to new zealand to avoid damage and to reduce shipping charges ...

have also bought a few unobtainable parts through them over the years too ...

they are good to deal with, although biggest killer for me is the exchange rate and overseas shipping rates ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    no worries w/the goat . id offer your lbs ,the oppertunity to sell a bike at the goats price .or within 100.00 orbuy the frame from the goat and build it up yourself .thats very satisfying,any bloke can say heres my $ give me a bike ,but when you pick the parts its truly one off .
    trlridr

mtbr member
    I have bought several frames and lots of parts, and have been very happy. If there's something I need and can't find it, I give them a call and have always been amazed at there service and shipping times. I would not hesitate to buy from them

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got my Mach 429 from them also. Chris was great to work with!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully
    One thing to consider is that your LBS spent the money to have a 429 on hand as a trail demo.
    Thats great and all but they didn't pay retail for it and they're going to sell it later. Plus they may be renting it as well.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Maybe I'm just a Commy or something but aren't you supposed to declare your purchases from the internet on your state income tax statement so your state can collect lost taxes?

I know, I hate roads and popo and drinking water and schools and sewage treatment just as much as the next guy who rides a 29er but...

oh, maybe that's just the law in Massachusetts (pretty much as Commy' as a state as it gets).

As for the LBS vs. Internets question... as others have said, just tell the lbs straight up that you are going to either the buy the from them or Speedgoat and that you would prefer to buy it local, but $X difference is just too much. See what they'll do with full knowledge. Also, talk to the manager or owner. One last thing... make sure if you buy a demo, that they will treat it as a new bike with a full warrantee. Otherwise it's a no brainer. Just pay your tax. Please.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    Maybe I'm just a Commy or something but aren't you supposed to declare your purchases from the internet on your state income tax statement so your state can collect lost taxes?
    I'm going to file suit against the entire state of delaware on behalf of Pennsylvania schools, water, roads, bridges, sewers and wildlife. The bastards have signs at all the state line crossings touting the "tax free" shopping. Who do they think they are ?

Actually, lawsuits are slow. I'm just going to set up a citizens road block on the state line and inspect all the cars with PA plates for foreign (delaware) purchases. I'll collect the tax for PA on the spot.

Thanks for the inspriation commie brother !

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Thats great and all but they didn't pay retail for it and they're going to sell it later. Plus they may be renting it as well.
    ....Uh, yah!, that's how any business stays in business .... buy at wholesale and sell at retail (whatever that is). But what does your comment have to do with trying the bike at a local shop and then buying it elsewhere? Whether it's shoes, or bikes or basketballs - you're using one persons investment to help you spend your money elsewhere. Shops don't buy those bikes just for giggles - they buy them to help them sell bikes. They don't buy them to help some other shop sell a bike.

Speedgoat is a good business, but they are not your local business for most folks. If you want a bike shop to remain in your area - buy things there. If you don't care - don't buy things there.

Don't be a 'user'.

Scott
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade, CO - Ride the Rim Trail!
    Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Love Speedgoat. Top shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yeah, I'm in a very similar position. I demo'd a Niner MCR 9 at my LBS and loved it.

However, they want $2,800 (which does include about $150 of sales tax at 6%) whereas Speedgoat is coming in at $2,100....

So its not even close....I asked my LBS to price match and they said they might be able to get within a few hundred...well....that's a lot of money....

With the great reviews, service, free shipping.....it seems like a no brainer.

As far as the sales tax goes, technically you are supposed to report it, but most people don't, and its rarely a problem....

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gretababy
    yeah, I'm in a very similar position. I demo'd a Niner MCR 9 at my LBS and loved it.

However, they want $2,800 (which does include about $150 of sales tax at 6%) whereas Speedgoat is coming in at $2,100....

So its not even close....I asked my LBS to price match and they said they might be able to get within a few hundred...well....that's a lot of money....

With the great reviews, service, free shipping.....it seems like a no brainer.

As far as the sales tax goes, technically you are supposed to report it, but most people don't, and its rarely a problem....

OK, so next time you want to demo something ... go to Speedgoat.
    RapidCreekCycles

Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Winans
    OK, so next time you want to demo something ... go to Speedgoat.
    I understand your point, but are you seriously contending that I should buy from my local LBS even though the exact same bike is $430 more expensive?

Please keep in mind that I paid $45 to demo the bike, so its not like the shop is out anything.

That is the easiest $45 they made all year....

I gave them every opportunity to come within $200 of price matching and they couldn't....

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    No, at least not in that simplistic of a sense.

You paid $45 to ride the bike. Maybe that feels fine to you, and I understand that. But it's not a money maker for the shop in the larger sense. They will sell that bike as used at some point which may or may not cover the cost of the bike. In that time that they have it they may rent or demo it several times. I can tell you that the scenario is not a money making proposition overall. IF they sell a bike from the process, then it may become a money making proposition.

We, as retailers, need to know that we compete against online retailers who don't meet face to face with their customers, offer bikes to sit on, etc. Their costs are lower. Your shop might have their heads in the clouds, or they may simply have no way to sell you a bike at that same price. I don't know which it is.

What I do know, is if you want to ride a bike first, you go to a shop. It costs someone real money to make that bike available to you. You are using their good will, their entreprenurial venture, to reward someone else with a sale. It's tough on the flip side of that interraction.

I dunno - in the end it's a steady march towards the walmartification of our home towns. Yes these competition situations keep businesses honest, but man, they also knock the heck out of a lot of good effort too on many days.

Ride in Peace.
    RapidCreekCycles

Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

mtbr member
    I gave my LBS every chance to build the bike, I even offered $200 more than I can get the bike at Speedgoat. They could build a bike for $4,000, but I'd be getting components that I'd have no interest in running. On top of that, add on the sales tax.....we're talking a $1,000 difference when it all shakes out. Could I have had a salesman that was trying to make as much as possible? Absolutely!, that's his job. But I can't justify spending that much more, and I'm betting that a big chunk of that change I saved will be spent at tthe LBS over the next few months.

My last bike I had another LBS build it, and I paid top dollar for it. My thinking was that in the long run, the relationship we'll build will make it worth it. For the first year I'd get a discount here or there on parts. But by the second year.....forget it. All the salesman had left and the new guys didn't owe me anything. Ownership had changed a few times, and the last experience I had with that shop left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'll never go back.....and I live a mile away.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Winans
    Your shop might have their heads in the clouds, or they may simply have no way to sell you a bike at that same price. I don't know which it is.
    Thats exactly the point. They CAN, they choose not to. Pivot doesn't let speedgoat undercut other dealers on the price of the frames, and the parts all come from the same places (qbp, bti...). So its just cutting off their nose to spite their face IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Thats exactly the point. They CAN, they choose not to. Pivot doesn't let speedgoat undercut other dealers on the price of the frames, and the parts all come from the same places (qbp, bti...). So its just cutting off their nose to spite their face IMO.
    to add to Winans statement that you skipped over: "or they may simply have no way to sell you a bike at that same price and still make any profit". We can't know for sure what overhead your LBS has, but it is possible or even likely that your shop incurs more costs in running their business than Speedgoat does. Sure they technically can sell at the same price, but they may be losing money doing that, hence the refusal to go lower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    well I think a lot of valid points are raised here...and there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer.

I suspect this shop (as most shops) sell all they can get their hands on as far as popular bikes go....Niners tend to be in short supply....if they don't want to price match, I truly hope they can sell the same bike to some other person for $500 more than I paid....

That's fine, i can't blame them for refusing to discount when they can sell every bike at MSRP....

Maybe I'll regret not buying from the LBS....but when the consumer is looking at paying $500-$1,000 more for the exact same product, its awfully hard to justify that.

I can't imagine that is all overhead, and if it is, so what, why should I pay for the shop's overhead?

Some are willing to pay for that and some aren't.

mtbr member
    Something to consider is that not all shops pay the same price for parts from their supplier. A company such as Speedgoat may spend 30k a month with a supplier while your LBS spends only 5k. Who do you think gets a better price?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretababy
    I can't imagine that is all overhead, and if it is, so what, why should I pay for the shop's overhead?

Some are willing to pay for that and some aren't.
    you don't have to want to pay for that, but their overhead is what keeps them in business in your community... it's the rent, salaries, bike on the floor, etc. It can add up to a lot, especially in expensive areas. Speedgoat in comparison does not have a ton of employees (afaik), is not located in an expensive area, and is not paying for prime commercial space

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting discussion thread - made me think for a bit regarding my own spending habits. I have super peculiar part requirements, so an off the shelf LBS bike is right out. So, that leaves 2 areas for me to patronize them: 1) service and 2) parts.

I'm on a first name basis with everyone at my LBS and they do all the complicated labor that's above my skill level. So that takes care of the service.

The parts is another story where I have mixed feelings. My compromise works as follows - if Jenson/Pricepoint/etc sells the part for 50, I'll pay 55-60 at my LBS to make the sale. That generally evens out the shipping cost so it costs me nothing and gives money to the LBS. But if the LBS markup on parts is greater than 15-20%, I'm definitely looking elsewhere.

Regarding parts and Speedgoat, I was getting ready to buy a frame from my LBS except that two things happened: 1) they didn't carry a Voodoo Canzo 29er bike that I could demo 2) Speedgoat was blowing out their Big Mama frames at ridiculous prices. I'm totally cheap and the wife had budget restrictions, so the choice was made for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I work at a shop inside a store with a bunch of other departments and the whole store has a price matching deal, so if you find it online, in stock, we will match the price plus shipping. It sucks our bottom line but its the only way to keep customers.

It never hurts to ask if your shop will price match an online deal.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

Members who have read this thread: 0