Anyone build a dropbar bikepack/gravel rig based on BD Gravity 29er frame?- Mtbr.com
    VENI VEDI BIKI

Anyone build a dropbar bikepack/gravel rig based on BD Gravity 29er frame?

Title sums it up. I have a lot of old obsolete 9 spd parts laying around and looking to throw them on something that can take a 2.1 tire and is suitable for drop bars. Intend to use mostly for winter beater/gravel/maybe some bikepacking. Bikeisland has some unbranded 29 point 1 frames for really cheap.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Man I wish I could help. I have been to the point of almost pulling the trigger on that frame twice to do exactly what you want to do. Based on the geo (if I am remembering correctly)I think that I would make a good conversation bike.

Short-Change-Hero
    See I am the opposite, have a frame and everything that I would like to switch to dropbar but need the handlebars, stem, shifters, brake levers, to work with my stuff and just have never pulled the trigger. Currently just a flatbar, rigid XC machine that does double duty as a commuter with slightly bigger tires.

Bikesexual
    I'm putting drop bars on my SS. I think is the same frame.

Its weird, it has braze ons for a rack in the drop outs but nothing at the bottom to attach it.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Short-Change-Hero
    Most pannier racks only have a couple points of attachment. Mine for instance, has a point just above the skewer on the dropouts and then another up near the seatpost (which looks like yours might). If I can find a recent pic of my Inbred I will post up what I mean.

Short-Change-Hero
    Here ya go... you can see the bar that comes across to the seat post area and then there is a bracket (single bolt attachment) down by the dropouts).

mtbr member
    Pick a frame with a shorter top tube than what you would use for a flat-bar. The shifters/levers and forward bend of the drop bar will add a bit of length to your cockpit. For example, the effective top tube on most flat-bar mountain bikes that fit me is at least 60mm longer than a drop bar bike that fits me.

What 9 speed parts do you have? Are these road-oriented components?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Pick a frame with a shorter top tube than what you would use for a flat-bar.
    That BD frame is already shorter in the TT than most modern XC frames...and depending on his frame size, any shorter could result in toe-wheel overlap. If he hasn't cut his steerer tube down to the minimum length, he can probably pull it off with a 30mm-40mm stem and some spacers to move the bars up.

Here's my Ritchey P29er with a 20mm On/Off Stoic stem:Anyone build a dropbar bikepack/gravel rig based on BD Gravity 29er frame?-img_20190201_152735633.jpg
    My position on the hoods is at the same reach, but slightly higher than with my flat-bar; the position on the drops is slightly lower and behind where it would be with the flat-bar.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Slx rapid rise RD; XT FD; Cheapo 29er wheels from bicycle wheel warehouse; cowchippers; Durace Ace bar end shifters. Race Face Evolve cranket & matching BB or the nice sugino 3 speed crankset; cane creek long pull drop levers; bb5 calipers.

I am a short dude--5'8"

Also looking at the cheapy Venzo Raptor on amazon.

Edit: for the fork, I have an old Origin 8 carbon fork that is the same pattern as the bontrager, nukproof, and a dozen other early carbon 29er forks.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Those parts sound like they would work, but in my six years working full-time in a bike shop, I've never gotten BB5s to work well enough that I felt good about riding them. Any chance you can get some cheap "road" BB7s or mtn BB7s with short-pull levers?

For sizing, just err on the side of "small" so you don't end up with a weird position.