Anyone on a big mama yet?- Mtbr.com
    HTFU and Ride

Anyone on a big mama yet?

I just got a mailer from webcyclery and opened it up and got slapped in the face by a full 2 page ad for this beautiful bike! $4k built up with XT and a F29, $1500 for the frame and shock. Personally I would buy the frame and build it up 1x9 with SRAM and a new REBA for close to the same price with, IMO, a better build. Too bad I don't have 1k for a new bike let a lone 4K! I love my singlespeed 29er but man-oh-man would I love to add a Big Mama or RIP or Sultan etc to my garage (and take some trips out west).

Back to my original topic....anyone riding one yet? Can't wait to see your pics/builds! (doesn't hurt to dream )
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Not yet - In production now

Quote Originally Posted by coachjon
    I just got a mailer from webcyclery and opened it up and got slapped in the face by a full 2 page ad for this beautiful bike! $4k built up with XT and a F29, $1500 for the frame and shock. Personally I would buy the frame and build it up 1x9 with SRAM and a new REBA for close to the same price with, IMO, a better build. Too bad I don't have 1k for a new bike let a lone 4K! I love my singlespeed 29er but man-oh-man would I love to add a Big Mama or RIP or Sultan etc to my garage (and take some trips out west).

Back to my original topic....anyone riding one yet? Can't wait to see your pics/builds! (doesn't hurt to dream )
    There are a few posters here whom have ridden one at the Sol Sessions and potentially out on the trail with someone from Salsa.

Why do I know this? Well, they are in production now. Due to be finished in September.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

Harmonius Wrench

I'm one o them thar guys....

I've ridden a Big Mama, albeit a final prototype version that differed in some minor details. I can say that this bike flat out rips! I got the same WebCyclery advert you did today and I just get taken right back to that day that I got to ride that proto. It was a really fun bike to ride and I think it will be a big hit with a lot of folks.

There are those who will not dig it, I am sure, but I think it blurs the line between what a trail bike and an XC bike can do......in a good way. My impression was that it accelerated and climbed more like an efficient XC rig, but it still had that bottomless feeling and control on descents that something like a RIP 9 has. I could wheelie it at will, (admittedly, a set up that lends itself to this always helps), but it didn't have that penalty that such a set up usually does on climbs.

I can't wait to see the reactions folks have of this rig when they get to ride it. My prediction is this bike will be very successful and well liked. That's my take, but then again, I don't mind saying that I really like the Big Mama and will be getting one in the stable when they become available. (Working out a wheel build for it already) So yeah, maybe I'm a bit biased!

(Thanks to GnatBikes for the ride back in June!)
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I've ridden a Big Mama, albeit a final prototype version that differed in some minor details.

(Thanks to GnatBikes for the ride back in June!)
    Yep. Here's the proof. What a great day that was.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

HTFU and Ride
    Ya, I read your report GT, good stuff. I was just wondering if they were out for general consumption yet Thanks for the info fellas!
    Winter is coming.

Witty McWitterson
    I know that corner!

Can't wait for this to come out too! I finally live in an area where something like this may come in handy now and again.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Bump!

As my interest in this frame has reached a fast pulse, I thought I would bring the thread back up the board

So, anyone on one? Build reports, pics...?

All the Sol Sessions reports were of high excitement and expectation of a great selling popular bike. Only Speedgoat's slight knock on bob in the big ring has been any kind of negative, which must be a very minor issue

Someone must have one by now

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    As my interest in this frame has reached a fast pulse, I thought I would bring the thread back up the board

So, anyone on one? Build reports, pics...?

All the Sol Sessions reports were of high excitement and expectation of a great selling popular bike. Only Speedgoat's slight knock on bob in the big ring has been any kind of negative, which must be a very minor issue

Someone must have one by now
    Still in production (or maybe on the boat). I rode a couple of them at interbike and my name is on the list to get one.

Bob in the big ring is a non-issue. My bike will not even have one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Just got an email from Salsa. December for frames, Feb for complete bikes

i heart singletrack

... just got mine today.

Quote Originally Posted by coachjon

I just pulled mine out of the box. Am building it now. More pics to-come.

Cheers,
    MG
    I like bikes

Not really that big!
    Feb 2004
    Congrats MG. You're gonna like it a lot! That's all you need... to be fast and comfy...
    Just Ridin' Along

recognize the slowness
    nice color..
    not orange but not red really either...or is this stupid monitor to blame...

I hate old tech..
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    whoa!!! Muy caliente! Can't wait to see it fully-built

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Great looking bike - did you get a weight before you started hanging parts on it? Sounds like it'll make for a great all-rounder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    I just pulled mine out of the box. Am building it now. More pics to-come.

Cheers,
    MG
    Do you know when they are general release?

Bones

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Some...

Check Speedgoat.com, Bikeman.com or your closest Salsa dealer/shop. They're on the way I believe. And M.G. get that thing built up!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Just came across this

I just came across this - detail photos of an X.9 complete bike:

http://www.speedgoat.com/blog.asp?p=1675

Out spokin'

Dang

Looks like I'm destined to own another bicycle in a color I don't like. Oh well, it's the frame I want and color won't change how it feels while flying.

I'm on board, orange or whatever.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Looks like I'm destined to own another bicycle in a color I don't like. Oh well, it's the frame I want and color won't change how it feels while flying.

I'm on board, orange or whatever.

--Sparty
    What color do you want?

Send the frame off to be morphed into the color you do want for a couple hundred.

BB

Out spokin'

Hadn't even thought about it yet

All I know is I'm not crazy about orange. But it's not worth a couple Franklins to change it -- I can get used to orange easily enough. Besides, what's funny about bike color is that every color has its fans as well as its detractors, so in the end a bike's color really doesn't matter. It'll just appeal to different people.

Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    What color do you want?

Send the frame off to be morphed into the color you do want for a couple hundred.

BB
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Great looking bike - did you get a weight before you started hanging parts on it? Sounds like it'll make for a great all-rounder.
    Sorry man, I didn't get the weight before I started nailing parts to it... But the good news is that it's done and it rides every bit as well as I expected it would. I'll post more pics and a review in another post, but my initial impression is very, very favorable.
    I like bikes

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Sorry man, I didn't get the weight before I started nailing parts to it... But the good news is that it's done and it rides every bit as well as I expected it would. I'll post more pics and a review in another post, but my initial impression is very, very favorable.
    Well, it better be one of those pictures of you about 5 - 10' in the air with your front wheel cocked slightly to the side like those Dos Niner shots you are famous for in this forum. Anything less will be.......disappointing.

BB

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Well, it better be one of those pictures of you about 5 - 10' in the air with your front wheel cocked slightly to the side like those Dos Niner shots you are famous for in this forum. Anything less will be.......disappointing.

BB
    LOL... No pressure though, right?! HA!!!

I know the bike is capable of it... but is the rider still capable? That is the question.

Thanks Bruce,
    MG
    I like bikes

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Big29
    Congrats MG. You're gonna like it a lot! That's all you need... to be fast and comfy...
    Thanks brother... You are so right. It's an incredible bike. I'm just starting to tap into it's potential. I posted a video review of my built-up Big Mama on my blog last night, so some of you might want to check that out. Sorry in-advance about the blasting Lenny Kravitz... I'm still experimenting with that new Flip video camera.

Cheers,
    MG
    I like bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0