Anyone with a bad lower back ride a 29er hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Anyone with a bad lower back ride a 29er hardtail?

Anyone with lower back problems or who have had lower back surgery riding a 29er aluminum hardtail? If so, good or bad experience? Im thinking of adding a 29 hardtail to my stable but dont want it to cause lower back problems. I had outpatient lower back surgery years ago but haven't had any problems since. Thanks

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    There is no way to tell. Every back injury and surgery is totally different. Anyone who tells you different is ill-informed
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    I am a noob, but I have nerve problems down one leg from a prev. lower back injury and ride a 29er hardtail. I just have to get my @ss off the seat more to ensure my legs take the brunt of the shock instead of my lower back and take it easy when warranted. I agree with the post above, too. Couldn't hurt to follow-up with the MD that worked on you, too. I work in the medical field and it sucks when someone has to go back into the OR a 2nd time because the first stabilization (or lami/diskectomy,etc.) failed later on. Best of luck!
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

It's not enough to bash in heads
    , you've got to bash in minds. - Captain Hammer

tg
    mtbr member
    Dont do it! you are messing with fire.....stick with the cush and have fun.

Broken Hipster
    I broke my L4 and L5 4 years ago in a wreck and they're fused now.(also knee, 8 rib fractures, ankle, concussion, scapula, etc. It was a good one...)
    I had to take the season off from riding but picked it up again the following spring on my 26" hard tail. It was touch and go until I got back in shape and most of the issue I had was the knee injury. My back never "really" gave me much trouble as far as riding anyway.
    I picked up a 29er hard tail this season and installed carbon forks so I'm riding full rigid now with no problems other than getting rattled out of the saddle and off the pedals on some rough spots.
    We adapt. My style has changed a bit due to the injuries and I'll probably put the suspension back on the front end at some point but that's just for the local terrain.

mtbr member
    I find my riding position and core strength (or lack of it) have more to do with back pain than what type of bike I'm riding.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    +1

I had back surgery 10 years ago. I regularly ride a rigid Jones and only have issues when on rides over 3 hours in duration. The best remedy I have found is a combination of yoga and pilates augmented with core strengthening exercises. I'm only 60 years old so you may react differently.

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I find my riding position and core strength (or lack of it) have more to do with back pain than what type of bike I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Many factors at play here. Everything from tire choice and psi bike fit etc...

bjo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a herniated disc in my lower back and I ride a hardtail Marin 29er. I have gotten used to the numb pain but I workout and stretch alot. There are somedays I take a few advil to help with the pain though.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    This and the first response. Really it is hard to tell without much more information and a consult from the DR. Basically you need to be sure to only do what your body tells you it can do and rest when you need it. Mine is very relevant to my core strength and my general fitness (normally hurts a bit more at the beginning of the season) but after long rides (20+ miles) it does start to bother me more and that just means that I need to take an extended break and stretch some.

But I am coming from a steel HT 29r, so the steel is a bit more compliant than the aluminum.

mtbr member
    Ruptured disc and bone spurs on my spine...I ride a full rigid ss 29er. No issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    if you had you had surgery years ago, and are okay now, I don't see any problem
    if you are doing normal riding in which you would use a hardtail.

On hard tail you tend to get off the seat on rough terrain and let your legs do more work, requires a bit more effort that a soft tail, but still enjoyable
    making sure you have a good riding position on any bike will be important for your back

I have both hardtail 29er and dually 26, I use either bike depending on the tracks I am going out to ride on

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had L5 removed about 10 years ago and despite being in very good (overall) physical condition now, due mainly to 7-8 hrs / wk XC, I can't go back to HT, at least not a carbon HT on rooty trails…..experimented and it did not work for me. But, as others have mentioned everyone is different and bike/trail/riding style all need to be factored in…..rent or borrow and see what you think.

mtbr member
    If it hurts, don't do it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Anyone with a bad lower back ride a 29er hardtail?

Single speed will force you to stand and strengthen your core which could make the problem much better. But get a steel frame to hedge your bets.

mtbr member
    i don't know what the wheel size has to do with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've always had back issue's my entire life and find my HT may cause more fatigue but with many years of riding never has it caused an injury. Just be smart

Right now I'm battling pinched C7......computer and bad posture.