Anybody running a bigger rotor (180mm) on rigid carbon forks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anybody running a bigger rotor (180mm) on rigid carbon forks?

Have a White Brothers Rock Solid (465mm a-c) on its way to me and will be building up a new 29er SS (my first big wheel rig). I'm trying to build this largely from the parts bin and have I.S. calipers (the WB Carbon fork is post mount). I can get an adaptor, but it requires me to run a 180mm rotor. The WB folks say 160mm max. Is anybody running a bigger rotor than 160mm on this fork? What's your experience?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    im running a 180 SLX on my origin8 carbon fork, ive had no issues with it.

Harmonius Wrench
    I have run several carbon forks on different bikes with 180mm rotors on most. The Rock Solid I rode for several months had a 160mm rotor.

Bigger rotors seem to set up brake shudder easier, The fork blades can oscillate pretty severely on some set ups. I imagine this is what they are trying to have you avoid doing.

The best fork with 180mm rotors I have used is On One's Carbon Superlight fork. The Rock Solid is a fine fork, but even I could get brake shudder with a 160mm rotor. I wouldn't think a 180mm would make that better.

I would swap out the rotor and get an adapter for the 160mm rotor myself, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if you used a 180mm rotor with that fork. You just might experience a pretty bad shudder on really hard braking, so be careful with that.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good advice. I get occasional shudder on my cross bike. Annoying as hell, but not the end of the world. Might start with the 180 and change it out later. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The shudder on your cross bike is typically due to the steerer mounted hanger instead of a fork mounted hanger.

On One's fork has no rotor size limit. I have that and the Niner fork. I'll be getting a higher quality disc brake and using a 160 for the Niner fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sell it and buy the on-one carbon rigid fork, I ran 203mm rotor in mine with no issues

Tulsa
    windcutter 180 on a rock solid for over a year with no problems at all.
    wherever you go, there you are

Meat Clever
    Avid Juicy 180s on WB Rock Solid. I do get chatter under hard braking.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I run a 180mm rotor with bb7's on an "Exotic" carbon fork which seems to be the same fork as the White Bros and Origin8 - no chatter/shudder, no issues. Run it - you can always change it out later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm running a 180mm Formula rotor on my Niner Carbon fork despite the 160mm limitation and I haven't experienced any issues and the 180's help quite a bit when I go downhill (215 lb. rider).
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    180MM on a Pace RC31- No problems, no chatter- Fork flexed backwards with a 160 and a 180- Stops better now - 190+ lbs.

T Smee
    Oct 2007
    BB7's with a 180 rotor on a Origin 8 fork, it flexes a bit but i have never experienced it "shudder" other than brake rotor noise occasionally

Members who have read this thread: 0