Anybody Run a Level Hub?- Mtbr.com
    Really I am that slow

Anybody Run a Level Hub?

I am looking for some reviews.... I a very tired of stripping cogs and this seems to be the cat's meow for an offroad fixie wheel... I am going to prob get the 36 hole and lace it 3cross to a 700c rhinno-lite...to make a super beefcake fixie 29er wheel

I might go with phil too...

Anybody have there .02 with thease hubs?

http://www.levelcomponents.com/
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    I am looking for some reviews.... I a very tired of stripping cogs and this seems to be the cat's meow for an offroad fixie wheel... I am going to prob get the 36 hole and lace it 3cross to a 700c rhinno-lite...to make a super beefcake fixie 29er wheel

I had one on my old Soma Rush, which I sold about a year ago. I thought it was great. Totally bomber. Would make a great off-road fixie hub. Mine was a very early one with a steel axle, so was not light. Mr. Level, who is great to deal with but I can't remember his name off the top of my head, gave me a (ligher) aluminum axle too, though I never got around to swapping it. The hub was really well made, and the cog/hub interface seemed very secure. The finish was nothing fancy, certainly not a nice Phil polish, but fine for a bike that was was ridden primarily as a bad-weather commuter. You can get cogs made in any size or width (3/32 or 1/8), since he'll make you one custom if he doesn't have one made already. Not cheap either, on par with Phil, IIRC. Go for it.

I seem to remember jh on the cape knows him, so if he doesn't chime in here, ping him direct, he may have some feedback too.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

Call the number on his website. I talked to him on another matter, but we ended up talking about his hubs, and he is testing out freewheels and disc attachments that are all modular, so you can easily use one hub and swap out the parts without rebuilding your wheels.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member

I'm currently running a Phil double fixed and love it, but couldn't resist building up a wheelset with Levels.

I got a set of hubs from Rob at Bikeophile http://www.bikeophile.com/store/ (use them, they'll save you quite a bit) and also worked through Scott at Level who drop-shipped the hubs to me. Level prefers to work through their dealers, which is why I went with Bikeophile.

I also used 36 that I laced (well, I've built the front so far) to a set of Mavic T520 Ceramics. The problem you'll have is that right now they don't have any 36, and won't for a month or two. I was able to locate a prototype rear 36 at a store in VA who sent it back to Level who sent it to me with a front.

The prototype rear had the spoke holes drilled so close to the edge of the flange I was afraid to use it and sent the hub back. Make a long story short, Scott said it should be fine as he's been running one for a couple of years, so he's sending me back the prototype which I'll build and use, and when he gets a new run of hubs in he'll send me a new one that I'll have as a backup if/when the prototype fails.

The hubs are a great piece of gear, the cogs, even the 3/32, are really heavy duty, the 3/32 are 10-20 thousandths thicker than EAI and Phil but still fit the chain fine. Even though I haven't used the hubs yet, I'm 100% behind them, a lot of which has to do with the great customer service from Scott.

Get a set!...RC

Feb 2005
    I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident, but the guy who tested the hubs for Dirt-rag had the axle break on him a few months after the test periods was over.

He didn't notice when it happened, as the axle bolt was threaded in past the crack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

His name's Scott...

...and he's a really good guy. I used to work with him at a shop in DC. He was always trying to figure out ways to make bike stuff "better," sketching new ideas, etc. He's got a really good thing with these hubs; simple, smart and strong design. I don't own one myself, but I know folks that do and they have nothing but stellar comments about them, mainly couriers who peruse these unwieldy cobbled streets for a living. He was a courier here as well and at 6'6", I'm sure he was a good test market for what does or doesn't work or will last in extreme conditions. Did a lot of fixed off-road as well.

www.badgercycles.com
    I have around 2K miles on my level hubs and I am ready to make a bold statement. Best fixie hub ever! Period! Before you flame me for this please see the below list of threaded fixie hubs I have stripped riding offroad fixie. No mater how nice, light, or butter smooth they are useless to me stripped out.

Phil Wood Loved them but I stripped out not one but two of them so they are now in my junk pile
    Paul One stripped and in my junk pile.
    White one eno in the junk pile and one regular.
    Surly Two in junk pile
    and one wonderful old track hub stripped while riding my fixie road bike on mtb trails. (not smart)

Cant break the Levels plus Scott and Reed are great to work with.

Fahrrad fahren

Soon

I just got one of the last 36 hole rears from the last batch. I hope to be lacing it up this weekend, if my spokes come in. Scott was great to work with directly, answering numerous questions. I'll have a real report once I get the wheel on the bike and have used it for a while.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Steel and teeth.
    Here is a review worth reading.

http://singlespeedoutlaw.com/archive...-08202005.html

bb

MAP
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Hit It Up

I am a messenger in DC and know both scott and reed, know alot of people who rock them and NO complaints, and you can get different spacers(the thing that threads on next to the bearings I don't know what that is called) so you can use them on different spaced dropouts. Pretty cool.

Really I am that slow

Gonna order one

Just picked up a 32 hole mavic t520 from a buddy.... Anyhow i'll be ordering the 32 hole level.
    I'll be putting one though the acid test on the GDR this year...

Thanks for the input guys.
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Ozark Native

not a wheel builder

with 36 hole high flang hubs 4cross is the way to go ( something about less angle one the nipples?) Hey Slower than Snot is there any level cassettes out there yet or are ya doin the GDR fixie? Also there is a review at the fixed gear gallery its from the steet fixie point of view but still a review.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    I have around 2K miles on my level hubs and I am ready to make a bold statement. Best fixie hub ever! Period! Before you flame me for this please see the below list of threaded fixie hubs I have stripped riding offroad fixie. No mater how nice, light, or butter smooth they are useless to me stripped out.

Phil Wood Loved them but I stripped out not one but two of them so they are now in my junk pile
    Paul One stripped and in my junk pile.
    White one eno in the junk pile and one regular.
    Surly Two in junk pile
    and one wonderful old track hub stripped while riding my fixie road bike on mtb trails. (not smart)

Cant break the Levels plus Scott and Reed are great to work with.

Wow Rob!

I've been beating the crap out of a suicide fixed Surly hub (fixie cog on freewheel hub w/ BB lockring and locktite) on and off road for about 2 years now and have had no problems.

What kind of cogs are you (I guess I should say were you) using?

Those level hubs do sound sweet...

LP

www.badgercycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Wow Rob!

I've been beating the crap out of a suicide fixed Surly hub (fixie cog on freewheel hub w/ BB lockring and locktite) on and off road for about 2 years now and have had no problems.

What kind of cogs are you (I guess I should say were you) using?

Those level hubs do sound sweet...

LP
    It happens when I'm really ripping it and I bunny hop something. All the force from the landing starts a little slop in the threads then a few drivetrain "hits" later it just rips it free and everything goes to hell. I did it once going over a log at the top of a rocky hill with no front brake. I remember aiming for the soft part of the tree.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    I had one on my old Soma Rush, which I sold about a year ago. I thought it was great. Totally bomber. Would make a great off-road fixie hub. Mine was a very early one with a steel axle, so was not light. Mr. Level, who is great to deal with but I can't remember his name off the top of my head, gave me a (ligher) aluminum axle too, though I never got around to swapping it. The hub was really well made, and the cog/hub interface seemed very secure. The finish was nothing fancy, certainly not a nice Phil polish, but fine for a bike that was was ridden primarily as a bad-weather commuter. You can get cogs made in any size or width (3/32 or 1/8), since he'll make you one custom if he doesn't have one made already. Not cheap either, on par with Phil, IIRC. Go for it.

I seem to remember jh on the cape knows him, so if he doesn't chime in here, ping him direct, he may have some feedback too.
    hey
    not checking the forums much these days...
    but I know scott, we ride together. It's cool riding behind a fixed gear bike, seeing the hops and stuff. We did 24 hrs of Allamuchy together. He rode that course fixed, if you are familiar with it. I rode SS.

I totally envy Scott in the fact that he had an idea for a better bike component, thought about it for a long time, refinining it, and finally went for it and made it and sells them. Have you ever had an idea for a bike component? Did you do anything with that idea????? He has his heart and soul into these things.

These hubs are made in my zip code!

I don't ride fixed gear offroad, so don't have a Level Hub. I have fondled them extensively though! Fondle-factor is high.

You are super gung-ho to ride the GDR! That's a bike part you will not worry about. Good luck and may the force be with you.

It's sunny in Kauai right now. Too much computer.
    Only boring people get bored.

Members who have read this thread: 0