anybody got rode a Tomac Flint 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

anybody got rode a Tomac Flint 29er?

Hello
    Has anybody got to ride one of these yet? They look well built. 499$ for a 3.4 aluminum with bb30 ecentric bottom bracket. I want one but haven't herd anybody talk about them.
    Please let me know if you have any info on one.
    thanks

http://www.tomac.com/bikes/flint-29.php
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CB2
    Jam Econo
    That would make a great race bike. Top tubes are on the long side. I don't think the medium would fit anyone under 5'9".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm on the short side, which is why I am shying away from this bike. I was really set on getting one though as they seem real nice. One thing, I heard from my LBS that mediums are hard to come by and aren't available until next month. Large frames seem to be around though. If you get one let us know how it rides.

In FTF We Trust
    Wow, this was under the radar. I remember when Bradbury was experimenting with 29" wheels quite a few years ago; sorta figured that they'd show up with a racey-type full suspension frame eventually.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    May 2007

Flint 29er

[*]Everyone who's ridding a Flint as commented on how wonderful it is...German Bike magazine voted it the best they have ridden. They guys at Mountain Bike mag in the US say it and the Specialized are the best 29" ss capable bikes they've ridden.
    [*]The general public hasn't ridden them because they haven't been available yet...Delivery in the US is scheduled for 2nd week in April. 2 larges and 3 XL's are still up for grabs; have you local bike shop order one now or they will be gone.
    [*]Bradburry doesn't have anything to do with Tomac any more...FYI
    [*]The bb is not BB30, just eccentric.

mtbr member
    I think Johnny T's bike company would move a lot more units if he'd loose all the gun labels on his frames. Personally, I'm a gun owner and don't really have a problem with it but I have trouble making the connection between bicycles and firearms I think this may be a turn-off for other potential buyers.

is buachail foighneach me
    Flint is a rock. Is there another gun connection I'm not seeing??

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Old muzzle loaders were flint locks. Flint creates the spark that lights the gun powder.

mtbr member
    Previous models were called: Six Shooter, Revolver and so on.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29
    I think Johnny T's bike company would move a lot more units if he'd loose all the gun labels on his frames.
    Snyper 140

That sounds like a Wal-Mart bike. Very WT.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Old muzzle loaders were flint locks. Flint creates the spark that lights the gun powder.

I knew that, but it's not called the Flint Lock. I just don't think that would cause much of a problem. At least it never struck me before. I think having the name Tomac on the bikes pretty much overshadows any individual product name he could give them. Pretty sure he could name the 8 models in his lineup Poostick 1, Poostick 2, Poostick 3 etc and they would still be legitimate because of him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I knew that, but it's not called the Flint Lock. I just don't think that would cause much of a problem. At least it never struck me before. I think having the name Tomac on the bikes pretty much overshadows any individual product name he could give them. Pretty sure he could name the 8 models in his lineup Poostick 1, Poostick 2, Poostick 3 etc and they would still be legitimate because of him.
    I suspect Tomac could make his frames out of poo and people would still rate them.

tl1
    Bicyclist

He was born in Owosso

Which is fairly close to Flint Michigan, one of the former "arsenals of democracy".

turtles make me hot
    I want a bike called Poostick!!
    I like turtles

saddlemeat
    Only context they ever heard flint used in. Citty. They are. Probbly. Very young to boot?
    Last edited by bsieb; 03-19-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    I ride with the best dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    Only context they ever heard flint used in. Citty. They are. Probbly. Very young to boot?

English. What is? First language. Doggie bag.

??

saddlemeat
    English. What is? First language. Doggie bag.

??
    Poet. New FOR/word flow approach. It is. Understand, you did?

(save this post as it is proof, the first, I was)

Bag your dog you did, or did you wretch?
    I ride with the best dogs.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    I think Johnny T's bike company would move a lot more units if he'd loose all the gun labels on his frames. Personally, I'm a gun owner and don't really have a problem with it but I have trouble making the connection between bicycles and firearms I think this may be a turn-off for other potential buyers.

sounds like you havent check Tomac's bike line this year.. nothing with a pistol name
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I should be getting that frame in the middle of next week. I'm new to HT 29er so my reports will be with a grain of salt having never spent much time on other 29's.

I'm super stocked...wondering how it'll fit me, I'm 5'8 1/2". Its going to be my 2010 Season race bike.

Curious what it will weigh built up. My rough calculations put it around 23-24 lbs. with everything.

My buddy who's getting the same frame told my it won a shoot out in Bike Mag (German) How does a HT frame win a shootout???

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It won compared to other mid-level priced 29ers from Orbea, Giant, Scott, etc.
    Best frame, the German distributor also offers very reasonably priced kits with Thomson parts, Shimano XT and Easton Wheels.
    It was by far the lightest bike with the best handling. The frame is a brilliant deal for this price.
    I'm also currently thinking about getting a 29er and the Tomac also struck my mind. Too bad though that the Fox forks are extremely expensive throughout Europe...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can I ask where you are buying from? Also interested but none in UK yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The German distributor is Zweirad Stadler, they have none listed online, but have some in store though.
    If you're in the UK just mail Chainreactioncycles, they are the UK distributor.
    They haven't listed the Flint (and the 2010 Automatic) yet, but should be able to get some...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for that. I thought UK distributor was Hotlines? Currently waiting to hear back from them. Any German shops stocking them online - looking without much success.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Stadler is the only German distributor, no other store stocks them.
    It is a chain of about 6-10 stores.

Regarding Hotline, I always thought CRC and Hotline and somehowe linked?
    CRC carries all Hotline sitributed brands, the prices are the same and both have the same shop layout.

tl1
    Bicyclist

If it was a rigid singlespeed...

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    I want a bike called Poostick!!
    ...you could call it the acoustic Poostick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Post some pics when you get it built. Love to see it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1977
    It won compared to other mid-level priced 29ers from Orbea, Giant, Scott, etc.
    Best frame, the German distributor also offers very reasonably priced kits with Thomson parts, Shimano XT and Easton Wheels.
    It was by far the lightest bike with the best handling. The frame is a brilliant deal for this price.
    I'm also currently thinking about getting a 29er and the Tomac also struck my mind. Too bad though that the Fox forks are extremely expensive throughout Europe...
    sounds like the same kits available here too.
    I haven't weighed all my parts yet. But I'm building this on a tight budget and am still expecting my bike to weight around 23lbs or so. I'm planning to start with an 80mm fork, possibly bump it to 100mm depending on how it handles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supersquad3
    Post some pics when you get it built. Love to see it.
    I'd love to see it too! We set up a pro-deal with Johnny-T himself, but these bikes are hard to come by. We did our order for our "race team" around November... apparently all of the Tomac 2010 inventory is spoken for?? (not sure to the complete truth of that.)
    I did the Coyote Classic in El Paso this weekend and was stuck riding my 2003 Epic...just sitting there jonesing for my new rig.

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem like it's hurt Intense any.

BTW: Joel Smith is the man behind Tomac now. Looks like a great line he's building. I hope he has success.

NedwannaB

Daaayamah.......

Quote Originally Posted by supersquad3
    Hello
    Has anybody got to ride one of these yet? They look well built. 499$ for a 3.4 aluminum with bb30 ecentric bottom bracket. I want one but haven't herd anybody talk about them.
    Please let me know if you have any info on one.
    thanks

http://www.tomac.com/bikes/flint-29.php
    ......no smalls!
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yeah, I got a medium and I'm 5' 8"..hoping it fits. (IF IT EVER SHOWS UP!!!!)

NedwannaB

Shy 5-7

Quote Originally Posted by gcavy1
    yeah, I got a medium and I'm 5' 8"..hoping it fits. (IF IT EVER SHOWS UP!!!!)
    No way I'd fit. Too bad. Looks like a good rig though.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My buddy has one and he loves the ride? I threw a leg over it and it was awesome. It did take a few months to come in though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I'll chime in... I purchased my Tomac Flint a couple months ago, and have put some serious hours on it, and I absolutely love it!!!
    I bought a Large, and it fits perfect. I'm only 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I found some other reviews that suggested their sizing is a little funky, and being in between two sizes, I went with the bigger, and I'm glad I did. I have it set up with an 80mm stem, and some straight bars. It's truly the most comfortable bike I've ridden. Just did a 66 mile race on it 3 weeks ago, and then finished The Leadville 100 on it this past Saturday. Absolutely no complaints. I love the Eccentric bottom bracket. I originally built it up as single speed(23 lbs with no carbon at all) and rode that for a couple weeks and absolutely fell in love. Then at the Tahoe Trail 100k I finished 5th in my age group(on the SS setup), and thereby qualified for Leadville, so I bought some new wheels, and SRAM X.9 2x10 Groupset and put that on(gained about 2 lbs) for Leadville. I love the versatility of this bike!
    SS Setup:

Geared Setup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I still smile when I ride mine. Now at 100mm on my Reba and a 2.4 RR on the front, 2.25 RR on the rear. Its a great race bike, climbs like a goat. Very comfortable...for a HT.
    I just let a friend of mine try it today and she told me she "LOVED it." She doesn't ride alot and is thinking about trying to get into it more. I think that says something about its versatility.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've got a frame on order, should be arriving mid October (in the UK). Swapping all the bits over from my Felt Nine Solo, so it will be rigid SS. Getting excited already, can't wait!

And He was Not
    I got about 4 months on mine. The Bike pedals well. No complaints.

The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

???

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    So you're saying that you want to ride something called a "Poopstick?"
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had mine for about 3 months now. Running it as a 1x9. Awesome bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am rockin a rocky mountain hammer 29 and it's time to upgrade!!! I just ordered a medium from LBS. It will be here mid november. $500

Members who have read this thread: 0