Any thoughts on running Rekon 29x2.6 60tpi front and rear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Any thoughts on running Rekon 29x2.6 60tpi front and rear?

I'm looking for a good budget tire here in Arizona and was thinking the 60tpi might fit the bill. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    I'm looking for a good budget tire here in Arizona and was thinking the 60tpi might fit the bill. Thoughts?
    I wouldn't call it a budget tire but its a light tire. I ran forekaster up front and rekon in the rear as the Rekon is not a good front tire.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm in Phoenix and there's no way I'd run a Rekon as a front tire. Have really good dental insurance if you do.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Really? A couple of threads I've read had the Rekon as a decent front tire. Course, I'm not sure where in the country they were. What do you run on the front? And thanks for the replies.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Minion DHF is the standard. I run a Conti Trail King on my shorter-travel bike and am pleased with that as well.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm running this tire front and rear on my Trance 29 - it was a better starting point for me than Minions, which I don't care what anyone says, roll too slow for me. So far I really haven't got any complaints.

I am Walt
    Iíve run both front and rear, which was too slow-rolling for me, and front-only on my Primer, which was OK, but just OK. I prefer a faster 2.35-2.4 tire, and am going with a Rekon 2.4 WT front and rear on my SB100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I've been running the Rekon up front in 27.5x2.8 for months, with no issues at all. I'm in the Ozarks, mostly rocky, hardpack, leaves, some loose conditions. Never felt sketchy up front to me. Mine is 120 tpi and despite some pointy rock gardens and shale they've survived it all and outlasted some other tires I've run. I also ordered a 2.6/29 to try at some point on my 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks again for the comments.

@waltaz, does the front wash out for you? Do you use the 120 or 60tpi? Right now I have Vee Crown Gems f/r (27.5x3.0, stock durocs/fex8), @16-17psi, I find that the front is washing out on the Vees and i want better cornering from the front, especially with the marbles over hard that we have here in Tucson

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Also to further clarify, I'm switching to 29er wheels due to a rim breaking (my own fault) and being tired of pedal strikes.

mtbr member

@waltaz, does the front wash out for you? Do you use the 120 or 60tpi? Right now I have Vee Crown Gems f/r (27.5x3.0, stock durocs/fex8), @16-17psi, I find that the front is washing out on the Vees and i want better cornering from the front, especially with the marbles over hard that we have here in Tucson
    There is no possible thread count that will compensate for the Rekon tread design in "marbles over hard" as a front tire.

Edit: I only mean it in that application.

I have a pair of 29x2.6 (Alphabet) Rekons that I'm looking forward to trying, once the buff, XC style trails in Park City have dried out.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 06-15-2019 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    There is no possible thread count that will compensate for the Rekon tread design in "marbles over hard" as a front tire.
    This is probably true.... in those conditions you're safer on something with more traction. I can't promise it's performance in Arizona but I had great results with an XR4 in 29/2.6, until I punched a hole in the tread. Faster rolling (I assume) than a dhf.

since 4/10/2009
    especially with the marbles over hard that we have here in Tucson
    I know people who like and use the Rekon in the front. But this is not the sort of trail condition they're using it on. It works in the front on hardpack. It doesn't bite enough for any loose-over-hard except for maybe a thin layer of sand or dust over hard. Fine gravel will be iffy and marbles over hard will be too much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Also to further clarify, I'm switching to 29er wheels due to a rim breaking (my own fault) and being tired of pedal strikes.
    I have lots of time on Rekon 27.5x2.8 and theyíre fine....I think theyíre worse in other sizes/formats.

Switching to 29ers on my FEX8 was the best move though, and I run DHFs front and rear (2.5f 2.3r on i34 rims.) Less rolling resistance, better traction and stability, proper BB height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a nice day!
    I run a Rekon 2.6 on both of my bikes in the front here in the southern Appalachians. I find it works really well in our conditions so far. As the summer goes on, we'll see how it does when things dry out a little.

I am Walt

120 TPI, and while I didnít have serious problems with it, it was prone to being loose in front. Depending on the bike and application, the best 2.6 tire Iíve found is the XR2 2.6 Team. Not overly burly-looking, but light, fast rolling and suprisingly durable. Hooks up very well until the tread wears down, then all of a sudden, it doesnít.

Ride more; post less...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You'll note that most of the folks who find it to be an acceptable front tire are not riding in a desert environment. This is the danger of taking tire input from folks who don't share your particular conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    @Blatant, agreed and I've paid attention to that.

@Waltaz, thanks for the response. Is it the XR2s or XR4s that are basically renamed Chupas? The Chupas on my stock 27.5 rims mirrors your experience with the XR2. I guess I'm looking for something different....

My priorities would be cornering, climbing ability then speed.

mtbr member

@Waltaz, thanks for the response. Is it the XR2s or XR4s that are basically renamed Chupas? The Chupas on my stock 27.5 rims mirrors your experience with the XR2. I guess I'm looking for something different....

XR2 = Chupa. XR4 is knobbier and grippier.. it's good up front, I ran it with an XR2 rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wanna go fast on loose over firm, get a deeply tread tire like a DHF.

Pick your tire based on conditions unkess you XC race and care more about whatís fast in a straight line; and youíre willing to take your chances in the corners.

If thereís enough hard rock or the loose gets worked off the trail, a Rekon will work fine in desert conditions, it just doesnít cut trough the loose so it can be skittery.

They are durable tires, Iím running 29 x 2.6 front and a 2.6 Ikon rear, which work great for XC. I had a set of 27.5 x 2.8 on my trail bike and wore them smooth, never flatted, but the sidewalls were a seepy mess.

Iím partial to the 60tpi for abrasion and pinch flat resistance.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

I am Walt

XR2 3.0ís are the renamed Chupas; I donít believe the 2.6 version shares that name. If youíre running a 29-35mm ID rim, the XR2 would give you cornering, climbing and speed. I wouldnít say itís a great tire for National, T100-area chunk or Sedona, but it handles loose over hard very well, IMO.

And as I said, check out the Rekon 2.4 WT.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Maybe I'll go Rekon 29x2.6 60tpi rear and XR4 up front. I can get the Rekon for cheap.

Moodle
    Jul 2018
    the Rekon is an eceptionelly fast tire - faster than the NN 2.6 for example, light and it's also quite tall (which I think is good) but the thread pattern limits its capability as a front tire - ok for hard pack and some loose stuff, a wash out candidate for wetter conditions. It's similar to the ardent I think. I think it's super for the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm going to go DHF up front. Rekon is purchased and will be going on the back when it shows up. Thanks for the recommendations.

mtbr member
    I love the 29x2.6 Rekon front and 29x2.6 Ikon rear for all mountain riding.

mtbr member
    I have run a 27.5 2.6 Rekon rear and 27.5 2.6 forekaster front on my 5010. Both tires work well for the gnar and chunk I do. However my rekon is not the most durable tire I have run. Torn off lugs and almost cut a side wall. The Forekaster front seems pretty solid however.

For my XC bikes I really like 29x2.6 XR2. Light and fast and plenty of grip.

The one thing you are missing in your post is what to want do with the bike and how you want to ride it. That determines the tire just as much as anything.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.