Any thoughts on a 29er build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Any thoughts on a 29er build?

I know this is going to be all over! Everyone has an opinion....but here we go anyway!

I'm TALL, 6'6". So frame size is a big deal. Looking to build a frame up hardtail. Some ideas on frames? Bird Bikes in the UK, Chromag Surface, Shand Shug and maybe Guerrilla Gravity pedalhead. I have a compare file and they are all about the same geometry, here and there and all will fit.

But I'm looking to do something unique. different. Any other frames I can look at in the $1500 and under range? Further under the better

Just build a SOMA Wolverine gravel/cross/commuter jones hbar bike that's wicked! Want to do the same for an MTB

Thanks in advance
    www.graveldeathproject.com My current monster build! 2019 SOMA Wolverine Monstercross bike

Short-Change-Hero
    Where are you located?
    What is your budget for the Frame?
    What is full bike budget?
    What kind of terrain do you ride?
    What is your riding style?

Lots of good bikes out there... Seems like you are looking at steel bikes so I will throw in Production Privee Shan, Nukeproof Scout and Cotic SoulMAX as a couple other contenders for the steel market. Outside that, aluminum is going to be a much much larger market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey! Thanks for the input.

I think the budget is AROUND $3000? My last bike was about $3400, with discount a bit less...so about the same. rather do a nice frame, but a bit less costly and focus on proper components.

I live in Ohio....so not much in the way of heavy duty trails, but want a bike that I can do some gnarly stuff with if the chance arises...but I am not hardcore, so just some fun trail riding is all I like to mess with. Mostly fast, smoother stuff. no jumps really. just quick downhill kind of things.

I am headed to wales to ride the Dragon's back in snowdonia this oct...we'll see if I'm alive when I'm done
    www.graveldeathproject.com My current monster build! 2019 SOMA Wolverine Monstercross bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Steel hardtail (since sounds like that is what you want), 120 to 130 fork, relaxed head angle (66 to 68ish), short stays but not super short sliders would be nice.

Do you have a mountain bike now that you might re use parts from? Don't rule out used frame and upper end components.

Also if not picky about frame brand seen some good deals on niner SIR (probably get a 3 star in your range I think it comes with Factory 34 and GX eagle, if i didnt already have asteel HT and just bought a gravel bike I would pull trigger on it).
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I had a Cannondale Trail4 that I sold earlier this year, had it from new for about 5 mos? Trails around here have been closed since last OCT! LOL...not really kidding. Anyway...it was my first foray into offroad and I loved it! And after building the SOMA www.graveldeathproject.com I want to do something as cool, unique and just damn fun to ride!

I am just very picky and specific on parts. Not necessarily high end...but best for the money!

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so no real reason to necessarily stick with UK made or anything like that. Probably going to be easier for you to get your hands on a Rootdown or Pedalhead than anything simply because most of the other steel bikes are going to have to be shipped into the US. I can vouch for GG and their customer service and product. Currently riding a 2019 Smash, have ridden the 2019 Shreddog, 2018 Smash and 2018 Pedalhead and all were phenomenal bikes.

Personally for a steel trail hardtail I would be looking no further than those two. From there I would probably build up with the newer Shimano SLX 12spd drive train, SR Suntour Auron, Hayes Dominion A4 or A2 brakes, PNW Components Bachelor dropper and a good set of i29 wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs. If you wanted to save a bit of money you could go with an older set of Shimano SLX brakes (Dominions are new and somewhat pricey) and maybe drop to 11spd to reduce costs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess the question is how much travel do you really want/need on Steel 29 HT? And how much does weight of the build matter to you?

I am riding an Aluminum Stache right now with 130mm Fox Factory and 30mm inner rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs with 29x2.6. Love it. I can never see a situation where I would want more than that on a HT, your situation may defer though.

Bottom Line what you have laid out and these suggestions are all good however if it is is your only mountain bike based on the type of riding you laid out I would lean toward more of all rounder.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!