Any thoughts on this 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Any thoughts on this 29er?

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/avalanche-comp-1416

I recently bought a 2018 GT Avalanche Comp (it was on sale for 599) to go back to cycling after a 2 year hiatus and i love it, but i can't seem to find any reviews about this bike, and is it worth it if i want to upgrade things in the future such as the fork and crank sets?

mtbr member
    ride it until something causes an issue for you.

upgrading will get expensive fast, but I would consider in this order:
    pedals- stock pedals are usually rubbish. look up reviews on platform pedals if you want to stick to that.

handlbar/ grips/ saddle. contact points are key. a saddle that fits the shape of your sit bones will be comfortable, not necessarily a couchy saddle with tons of padding. a wider bar and a proportionally shorter stem would probably improve handling, but that's very personal.

fork- that's a cheesey fork. this is the point where you have to decide if you want to keep riding that bike or upgrade to something more sophisticated.

tubeless tires- converting the stock rims to a tubeless setup might be more trouble than it's worth, and buying new wheels, tires, etc might not be cost-effective.

drivetrain- 3x9 could be swapped to 1x9 with a new chainring, I think. that might not provide enough range for you without getting a new wider cassette, which will require a shifter, derailleur, and chain. that's new bike stuff.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by stefacep View Post
    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/avalanche-comp-1416

I recently bought a 2018 GT Avalanche Comp (it was on sale for 599) to go back to cycling after a 2 year hiatus and i love it, but i can't seem to find any reviews about this bike, and is it worth it if i want to upgrade things in the future such as the fork and crank sets?
    You've got a good bike there. As for reviews, don't worry about what other people think -- ride the hell out of it and find out for yourself if it fits you and your needs.

As Mack inferred, don't catch upgradeitis, that's an expensive disease. When something goes wrong, fix or replace it and the cost of doing so will determine whether it's worth it to you or if it's time to invest in a different machine. By the time stuff starts wearing out or you've outgrown the bike's capabilities, assuming you've been riding a lot, you'll likely know without needing advice from these forums.

Ride, ride, ride & enjoy!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree with sParty. Don't upgrade on this bike. Ride it till it breaks, maybe put $100-$200 in keeping it alive, then put it up for sale, get what you can, and buy that sweet rig you've been saving up for in the meantime.

I did the same thing, bought a cheap $600 bike on a great deal, rode 1,200 miles on it and then parted out what was left ($200 bucks or so). I built up a sweet rig after that and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Good looking bike, maybe get new pedals and a seat. Convert the tires to tubeless yourself there are plenty of How-To's on YouTube. Most of all, RIDE IT!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 455mm chainstays and 42 fork offset could make this handle slowly.
    I wouldn't upgrade because of the chainstays. You could change the fork to one with a 51 offset.
    But the chainstays will still be there.