Any thought on the Kelly 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Any thought on the Kelly 29er?

Any thought on the Kelly 29er? Anybody ridden one or know any pluses or negatives about them? Just curious after the magazine article on them. The bike looks nice. Thanks...

I am the owl
    I've got one. Really like the geometry, seems well thought out. Handles smooth, pretty light, no negatives that I can think of. Although tire clearance may be a little tight when some bigger meat comes out (2.3/2.4). I'm pretty sure I'll be fine though, my axle is in the middle of the drops now, if it was moved forward it might get tight.

Pic of my setup
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    ... when some bigger meat comes out (2.3/2.4).
    Keep dreaming. I've been reading the 29er forum for the last couple of years. First, there's a commotion about a new wide tire coming out, followed by "so, when?" a few weeks later, then the "bad news" post a few weeks after that.

Fat tires seem to be vaporware in the 29er world, but then again, do you really need them? Wouldn't it be ridiculously heavy, or too thin-skinned to have a decent life in the pointy rocks of our area?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Fat tires seem to be vaporware in the 29er world, but then again, do you really need them? Wouldn't it be ridiculously heavy, or too thin-skinned to have a decent life in the pointy rocks of our area?
    - Yes I need them
    - I'm not too worried about weight
    - I seem to survive the pointy rocks OK now on some tires that other seem to have issue with, maybe I'm just lucky!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    Any thought on the Kelly 29er? Anybody ridden one or know any pluses or negatives about them? Just curious after the magazine article on them. The bike looks nice. Thanks...
    I have the gear bike. Good looks, light weight, good availability and a long top tube with low standover. My only trouble has been the Ritchey derailler hanger - either I've been really unlucky lately or it bends more easily than a Breezer. Like most 29ers, tire clearance is tight at the chainstays. It will fit a Klaw comfortably, but a Motoraptor requires the rear wheel to be true. I trimmed the outer knobs on one to give some room for runout.

I wouldn't worry too much about clearance if you're using gears though. As Walt explained in another thread, front derailler/chain clearance is the limiting factor on tire width with the drivetrains available. I reckon a reason for the manufacturing delay on a 2.3 (2.5?) is that only singlespeeders can use them in back, and front tires take forever to wear out...A niche product for a niche product. I hope to see it though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the info. I'll probably run a smallish tires to keep the rotational weight down a little.
    I'm most likely to go geared as well. Are you running a rigid fork or suspension? It looks like a good bike for the money. I've consided an IF, a Wily and the Kelly as far as steel goes. Wilys are a tad cheaper and really sharp. A little longer wait though. The IF is high dolllar and and about half the weight and the Keely falls between the two and is available now. I thought a little about an Asylum but don't really want to carry the extra weight around. What suspension fork would you go with?

giddy up!
    Thanks for the info. I'll probably run a smallish tires to keep the rotational weight down a little.
    I'm most likely to go geared as well. Are you running a rigid fork or suspension? It looks like a good bike for the money. I've consided an IF, a Wily and the Kelly as far as steel goes. Wilys are a tad cheaper and really sharp. A little longer wait though. The IF is high dolllar and and about half the weight and the Keely falls between the two and is available now. I thought a little about an Asylum but don't really want to carry the extra weight around. What suspension fork would you go with?
    I'd stick with the rigid fork.....I believe Chris Kelly builds his 29er frames around a 440mm fork.....a sussy fork on there may chopper it a bit.

You might ask Chris about that next time you chat with him.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I'd stick with the rigid fork.....I believe Chris Kelly builds his 29er frames around a 440mm fork.....a sussy fork on there may chopper it a bit.

You might ask Chris about that next time you chat with him.

B

Yea, I talked to him yesterday and he heavily leaned me towards a rigid fork. I'll have to ask him about that though. They are at a great price anyway. May get one either way considering the price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If I already had a 29 and could wait, I'd get a Wily with Breezer dropouts. Otherwise it's a toss up.

I have a monkey fork on my Kelly. It's longer so it gives a little more ground clearance (the bike is kinda low, like a Specialized) and shifts my position back a bit. I had a Marathon SL on it for a while. It worked fine, but I usually prefer the rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

In Classifieds

Depending on what size you want, Kam, who posts here has one for sale in the mtbr classifieds. PM him he is a great source on all things Kelly. In fact I believe he spec'd his new Ti bike on the measurements of the Kelly!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i was riding a kelly ro sham bo for the past few month beofre i went custom ti. my frame was the ss/v-brake flavor. as vcyclist said, it's in the classys.

i built my bike up with the vicious cycles canti fork, but also had a kelly disc on for abit. both are the same length, but i personally feel the vicous feels better.

kelly will tell you that the frame is designed for a sussy fork...it ain't. the bb height they have on their website (i believe 11.5") is what i got with both the vicious and kelly forks (both 435mm in height). i am pretty sure the ro sham bo was designed around these forks.

the KM fork and sussy forks in the 80mm range are about 465mm. this is going to change the geometry of the bike quite abit. but, if yu are looking at the vicious or kelly, the bike will be awesome....stable, quick and predictable.

overall ride quality, great!!! finish...good. chris kelly is great to chat with on the phone...he'll help you with fit. i am 6'2" with a 35" inseam and was riding the large ro sham bo with a 100mm stem.

got questions, just reply.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, Chris is great to talk to. He seems as interested as someone who just discovered biking. He is real enthused about 29ers and thinksthis is the year they really blossom. He really pushes the rigid which I would do, especially with the price. I'm 100 % positive I'll go with suspension. I was about to place my order today until I read this. The suspension fork compatability is my only hold back at this point. I'm 6'0" with a 34.6" inseam and long arms. Chris sugested the medium which hsa the 24.5" top tube. I feel good about that. Do 29ers typically do better with a longer top tube than a 26er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_pickens
    If I already had a 29 and could wait, I'd get a Wily with Breezer dropouts. Otherwise it's a toss up.

I have a monkey fork on my Kelly. It's longer so it gives a little more ground clearance (the bike is kinda low, like a Specialized) and shifts my position back a bit. I had a Marathon SL on it for a while. It worked fine, but I usually prefer the rigid fork.
    I'm bikeless right now and have everything I need to build a complete 26er. I'll need to pick up frame, fork and posibly wheels (I have a set of Speed Citys). I'm dying to try something new and everything I've read about the 29ers would suit me and help in the areas that I have problems with. I would really like to try the Wily, especially the fact that I could have the custom build for sus fork, etc. I guess I could find something to ride in the meantime.
    Does the KM fork or the SL hose up the ride on your Kelly?

Thanks for the help.

paintbucket
    6 foot and a 24.5" TT. Dang. If it wasn't for that, and since you're looking for something sooner rather than later (and taking into account your sussy preferences), I was going to suggest the Voodoo. There's a recent thread just down the page about them.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Does the KM fork or the SL hose up the ride on your Kelly?
    Not at all, and neither did the Marzocchi. They both feel great to me.

BTW, I'm 6'2" and ride the medium with either a 90 or 120mm stem. 24.5" is a good TT length for me, but the short seat tube needs a 440mm post.