any "new" 29ers coming out soon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

any "new" 29ers coming out soon?

Anyone heard any rumors or have any inside info on new 29ers coming out?

Like maybe something from Giant or GT? Or any company out there. Wondering if I should wait a bit and see whats coming down the pipe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anthem X...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jet9

"Its All Good"
    Nicolai Helius AC 29er
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Knolly Endo 29
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

banned
    Titus RockStar

mtbr member
    On another thread here: Intense Tracer.

I'm more curious of these new 142x12mm rear axles...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    I'm more curious of these new 142x12mm rear axles...
    They're 7mm wider.

You're welcome.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    They're 7mm wider.

You're welcome.
    Yes, I can do the math, but I understand the way the frame is machined out to accept the axle end is different than a 10mm thru-bolt. The 135x10 thru-bolt works with current frames. Besides the width, there is something different about the 142mm. I didn't understand the description in the current BIKE magazine.

mtbr member
    Giant will have a CF hard tail 29er next year, DW says someone will release a cross country race oriented DW Link rig (not Turner), and Siren may be ready with something new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    Yes, I can do the math, but I understand the way the frame is machined out to accept the axle end is different than a 10mm thru-bolt. The 135x10 thru-bolt works with current frames. Besides the width, there is something different about the 142mm. I didn't understand the description in the current BIKE magazine.
    I guess I'm so far unconvinced that we need a better rear axle retention system. Maybe the gravity riders do. The additional axle width should allow less dish, and there is a benefit to that, but the chainline also gets worse.

It's annoying to see too many different standards. Right now for front wheels we've got QR, 15, 20, and 24mm TA. Fortunately, there are a few convertible hubs.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Turner RFX 29er

Cars Are Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by kentkreitler
    Anthem X...
    More info?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kentkreitler
    Anthem X...

Yes , rep told me its coming . Wont say when , just smiles .

Expect the XTC 29er Advanced in June .

Axles of Evil

GT Sensor 29

I was told by two reps and a inside tech guy about this. The demo at Interbike was rushed thru and nobody (GT) was really happy with it. Evidently being re-tooled. Release mid-year, hopefully?

mtbr member
    Banshee Claymore

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by pushinpixels
    Banshee Claymore
    Is that the bike Crazy Fred was hinting at? Spy shots anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Banshee Claymore is the one Crazy Fred was hinting at. You could ask Builtoride if he wants to leak any spy shots...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Claymore is still some way off yet!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    -- removed to protect the innocent --

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Dad
    I was told by two reps and a inside tech guy about this. The demo at Interbike was rushed thru and nobody (GT) was really happy with it. Evidently being re-tooled. Release mid-year, hopefully?

I rode one back in November. GT had their demo bikes at an event I went to. I was able to ride the Sensor 29r. Very nice bike. Differences being made was with the rear chain stays and the tire clearance that it didn't have. You can barely fit a Kenda SB8 in the 2.1 size in there. So nothing with any type of knob or even a 2.35 or larger. This was noticed on the last Marathon 29r that the Sensor is replacing.

Production models should start hitting the showrooms around April. Or at least that is what the last information that I got from the GT guys.

Also Foes has a 29r Full squish bike, and the Titanium Salsa El Mariachi.

aka baycat
    I saw an Ibis Mojo 29er a few weekends back at Groom Lake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    man, great info in here

wish I knew when that anthem 29er was coming out. I'd like to see how good that thing is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    That would have been my guess at the dw 29er.

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    That would have been my guess at the dw 29er.
    Yup, another one of those "we will never do a 29er" companies.
    DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    Turner RFX 29er
    Bring it, and a Fox TALAS 36 RLC to go with.

mtbr member
    I wish we had some more 29er shocks coming out. We need a talas or a revelation in a 29".

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Knolly Endo 29

Pretty funny Lynx. I talk with Knolly nearly 1x per week and this ain't happening. I've been hounding them for years. So much so that it makes me want to take matters into my own hands.

Later.
    CJB

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Pretty funny Lynx. I talk with Knolly nearly 1x per week and this ain't happening. I've been hounding them for years. So much so that it makes me want to take matters into my own hands.

Later.
    CJB
    From what we have seen from truefab you can do it
    DT

Thumbs Up!
    ti EWR I'm shaking as I type.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I second the 150mm/160mm fork!

WB can't be the only 6" on the market, fork companies are holding the AM segment back from exploding. Come on RS and FOX, lets see something at Sea Otter for the 6" travel 29er segment!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    WTF? That would be badass!
    Though it is too bad Ibis thinks an XL toptube should be 24.4"
    They should rethink their geometry IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

In my best D.C. voice.....

We now need some 29" Nomad Carbon with Fox Carbon 40-29 forx. 100 spoke, Stan's Floatilla rims and Tubeless Gazzalodi's are for sure a must we have. Now.

- All I know is I have my Tallboy finally and she weighed 5 lbs with the headset. Can't wait to get it built!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride
    The Claymore is still some way off yet!
    Sad but true, spoke with Jay today........GOOD things come to those who wait, even more so if builttoride has anything to do with it..(of which he has EVERYTHING to do with it..) CF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I guess I'm so far unconvinced that we need a better rear axle retention system. Maybe the gravity riders do. The additional axle width should allow less dish, and there is a benefit to that, but the chainline also gets worse.

It's annoying to see too many different standards. Right now for front wheels we've got QR, 15, 20, and 24mm TA. Fortunately, there are a few convertible hubs.
    Actually chainline should be improved when used with a newer outboard bearing cranksets that have 50mm chainlines (XT/XTR etc).

mtbr member
    EWR East Coast full suspension OWB 29er.

Well I can dream cant I

mtbr member
    BlkMrkt DJ/DS/4x 29er?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Knolly Endo 29
    Is this true? When? Damn ... I want a knolly bad but the thing that was keeping my wallet safe was the lack of a 29er...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    WB can't be the only 6" on the market, fork companies are holding the AM segment back from exploding. Come on RS and FOX, lets see something at Sea Otter for the 6" travel 29er segment!
    Marzocchi has a 140mm shock out for 2010.

Feb 2010

maybe a new ALMA 29er is on the way

Check out the BikeRumor link below. The article is giving hints about Orbea's new and possibly very different/better Rallon. At the end of the article, the guy hints about Orbea's new 29er in the pipeline. Check it out

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/01/29/...-coming-to-us/

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by letsride29
    Check out the BikeRumor link below. The article is giving hints about Orbea's new and possibly very different/better Rallon. At the end of the article, the guy hints about Orbea's new 29er in the pipeline. Check it out

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/01/29/...-coming-to-us/
    Not maybe. It is on the way. Three sizes, two colors. It'll show up at Sea Otter at the earliest but is supposed to be available by June. Also- there will be a hydro-formed aluminum model and possibly a FS design to come afterwards.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Sad but true, spoke with Jay today........GOOD things come to those who wait, even more so if builttoride has anything to do with it..(of which he has EVERYTHING to do with it..) CF.
    Nothing likely for this summer season then CF?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by jager7
    Actually chainline should be improved when used with a newer outboard bearing cranksets that have 50mm chainlines (XT/XTR etc).
    Yep, it would improve.
    142mm seems to me to be the perfect match for the 29er. Better chainline, stronger wheel and still not too wide like the 150mm.
    It would seem that the mountain bike component/frame designers are still figuring it out that mountain biking is nothing like road riding and that we need very specific parts that don't need to match a road bike.

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    VooDoo Soukri
    Siren Sierrita
    Siren FS 29er
    Soul Cycles Vegass 29er

mtbr member
    LOL Sadly no not true AFAIK, just wanted to put out a little bait and you're the only one who took it. I like the Endo and think it would make an excellent 29er as well, here's hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG
    Is this true? When? Damn ... I want a knolly bad but the thing that was keeping my wallet safe was the lack of a 29er...
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    LOL Sadly no not true AFAIK, just wanted to put out a little bait and you're the only one who took it. I like the Endo and think it would make an excellent 29er as well, here's hoping.
    I was hoping even the new Endo XC would take a 650b but all I was told is that it "might" fit but won't be designed for it. The 650b won't fit on the current Endo so I am not getting my hopes up.

I just bought a RIP 9 so that will have to do me for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Yep, it would improve.
    142mm seems to me to be the perfect match for the 29er. Better chainline, stronger wheel and still not too wide like the 150mm.
    It would seem that the mountain bike component/frame designers are still figuring it out that mountain biking is nothing like road riding and that we need very specific parts that don't need to match a road bike.
    I'm afraid that the 142mm spacing does not alter chainline at all. It just has 3.5mm spacers on each side that help you slot it into the frame. It does not alter the alignment of the cassette at all.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I'm afraid that the 142mm spacing does not alter chainline at all. It just has 3.5mm spacers on each side that help you slot it into the frame. It does not alter the alignment of the cassette at all.
    So, no increase in hub flange spacing, or shifting of the hub to the right, either? I'm not sure I see the point, then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So, no increase in hub flange spacing, or shifting of the hub to the right, either? I'm not sure I see the point, then.
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Check it out. The way it fits in is designed to make aligning the hub easier (a bit like how a lot of 20mm forks are aligned). It does this job well, and maybe offers a bit more support... but no change th flange spacing, or chain alignment.

Yet another standard for the bike industry... and surprise surprise it is not really necessary, just creates more options and confusion.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Enjoyin' life....
    Man, my list of existing 29'ers that I need to either own, ride or investigate is so darned long...now I have to add to that with the new stuff?

So many bikes.....
    Wally

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Man, my list of existing 29'ers that I need to either own, ride or investigate is so darned long...now I have to add to that with the new stuff?

So many bikes.....
    As a long time member here. this makes me smile.

Heck, I remember when the only option was a Gary Fisher or......or......custom.

Well, you could get a Nishiki from across the pond, but that wasn't very practical.

Just shows you how far along this whole 29"er thing has come along in 10-11 years.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Enjoyin' life....
    I've been riding bicycles since about 1989 regularly but my intensity into the obsession has varied over the ensuing years. I have many hobbies and obsessions so they all take the lead at differing times
    I rotated bicycling back to big dog status last year, hit the trails and found my tired 1990 GT Timberline wanting. Found a local shop staffed with some off road riding young "dudes" and they turned me on to 29's. I should go drop off a case of beer of some sort at that shop. I wound up wanting the Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29 and they had none in stock but I found one at another shop. Since then my friends are on 29's, I picked up the Fargo and I'm looking seriously at a Karate Monkey SS. Another shop I was visiting yesterday offered me a great deal on it.
    Yeah, the madness grows. I think its basically just bikes in general but I've personally come to just love 29" bikes. Lots of reasons why and for now they just occupy my interest.

And none of you people or this forum is helping treat this sickness. Thanks.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Exactomundo Why in the hell do we need another standard, isn't 135, 150 and 165 enough? What this accomplishes really is nothing, the Maxle System seems to work as easy if not easier and you don't have to have an allen key to tighten it down - from what I gather from their drawings. It's similar to the Manitou 20mm front and I absolutely HATE that fvcking design, you have to be so careful not to overtighten it or risk fvcking up/breaking the lowers and if it's not 100% to spec and you do tighten it properly it can still break

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Check it out. The way it fits in is designed to make aligning the hub easier (a bit like how a lot of 20mm forks are aligned). It does this job well, and maybe offers a bit more support... but no change th flange spacing, or chain alignment.

Yet another standard for the bike industry... and surprise surprise it is not really necessary, just creates more options and confusion.
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-04-2010 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member

Wink

29er like SC Talboy LT with 120-130mm rear wheel travel with 120mm fork would rock and rule.

mtbr member
    cannondale prophet dual suspension 29er with a lefty that would be something...

Mines 29
    Just got the email.....Vassago ChupaCabra
    "We are in the final stages of tweaks for the ChupaCabra aluminum 29er frame that we announced over a year ago.

We have received enough requests for some shots of the final prototypes that we finally gave in. So here you go.

While there may still be some minor changes to the production model, the tube set and profiles are nailed down. We will post some complete bike shots as well as more details in the weeks to come.

The ChupaCabra is scheduled for release later this year."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Stig
    "We are in the final stages of tweaks for the ChupaCabra aluminum 29er frame that we announced over a year ago.

We have received enough requests for some shots of the final prototypes that we finally gave in. So here you go.

While there may still be some minor changes to the production model, the tube set and profiles are nailed down. We will post some complete bike shots as well as more details in the weeks to come.

Thats hot! I like it alot. Hopefully the early part of the later part of this year

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Yeah-the Chupacabra! I heard 100mm plus travel geo. and Hammershmidt tabs with a burly dropout area-hardcore stuff! I want an affordable Hammershmidt frame-i think this one is gonna be da bomb!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Stig

Awe dang! I want it just for the name, but it has Hammershmidt tabs too?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Whoa Orbea Rallon looks like a dead on successor to a Cannondale Prophet 29.

but...since I can't afford a full suspension 29er right now, and I don't really the need for one...the Vassago ChupaCabra may very well be my next bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0