• 02-08-2006
    volpepazza
    Any Flyte 29er reviews out there?
    I was browsing the Flyte website today and was excited to find they offer a 29er, the Celcius 9. A search reveals no ride feedback. Does anyone have any experience with this bike? They seem like a good company. Just curious, as I'm thinking of building up a superlight racing hardtail 29er.
  • 02-09-2006
    kinkcrazy
    Flyte is what was formerly Airborne
    and their 29er model was the B-29, I know of 1 rider who loves his. I'm not exactly sure if they are the same frame though.

    Matt
  • 02-09-2006
    Endomaniac
    I know someone who won a road frame from them not long ago. I have to say it was the worst constructed frame I have ever seen. You could go to Wall-mart and get a better looking product. The tubes had waves in them everywhere, the welds looked like they where done by children with metallic glue guns. From 20 feet away it was a great looking bike though. I would be wary of their current product line. I know several folks with Airborne bikes and all of them are top notch so more than a name change must be going on.
  • 02-09-2006
    LetsGoOutside
    There was some extensive talk about this a while back, the Flyte supposedly hasn't gotten the rave reviews that it's Airborne predecessor did. I think there was some clearance issues mentioned with the Reba poploc, and something funky with the geometry maybe? Maybe Flyte has done some more r&d and fixed it's mediocre frame by now though, don't know.
  • 02-09-2006
    juice0276
    I have one
    I just bought a frame and it is great. I haven't got it built yet, but I can't wait. The frame looks great and is nice and light. The guys at Flyte are so easy to work with. You won't be dissappointed.
  • 02-09-2006
    Geo Dude
    Show some pics...
    and shut up the critics.

    Can you post a picture of it? Maybe some close ups of the welds around the BB area, and maybe the top of the seat tube area?
  • 02-09-2006
    juice0276
    Ok
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Geo Dude
    and shut up the critics.

    Can you post a picture of it? Maybe some close ups of the welds around the BB area, and maybe the top of the seat tube area?

    I wil get some pics. I wanted to wait until it was built, but since you asked.
  • 02-09-2006
    juice0276
    Reviews
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by volpepazza
    I was browsing the Flyte website today and was excited to find they offer a 29er, the Celcius 9. A search reveals no ride feedback. Does anyone have any experience with this bike? They seem like a good company. Just curious, as I'm thinking of building up a superlight racing hardtail 29er.

    There are also some reviews from other Flyte owners on the Flyte website.
  • 02-13-2006
    Geo Dude
    Where they at?
    Those pics?

    I am thinking about possibly buying a flyte, but now? I know the flyte site posts reviews, but surely not objective ones like found here. ;)
  • 02-13-2006
    juice0276
    3 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Geo Dude
    Those pics?

    I am thinking about possibly buying a flyte, but now? I know the flyte site posts reviews, but surely not objective ones like found here. ;)

    Sorry about the dust on the one picture.
  • 02-13-2006
    juice0276
    Sevice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Geo Dude
    Those pics?

    I am thinking about possibly buying a flyte, but now? I know the flyte site posts reviews, but surely not objective ones like found here. ;)

    Also dealing with Jason and Dan at Flyte has definitely been a plus. They have helped out in every way imaginable. Responses to all questions have been quick and they have taken care of everything that I have need so far.
  • 02-13-2006
    juice0276
    Service
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Geo Dude
    and shut up the critics.

    Can you post a picture of it? Maybe some close ups of the welds around the BB area, and maybe the top of the seat tube area?

    I would buy a Huffy if they had service like Flyte has given me so far.
  • 02-13-2006
    Geo Dude
    Thanks for the pics...
    those look like nice welds to me. I like it when they don't dress, (grind / putty) the welds personally. That way you can really see what the fabricator did.

    Thanks again J.
  • 02-13-2006
    Endomaniac
    That looks worlds better than the Flyte bike I had seen. That frame looks quite nice.
    Maybe my buddy that won the contest got a “blem” frame as a prize from Flyte..
  • 02-13-2006
    Fattirewilly
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by volpepazza
    I was browsing the Flyte website today and was excited to find they offer a 29er, the Celcius 9. A search reveals no ride feedback. Does anyone have any experience with this bike? They seem like a good company. Just curious, as I'm thinking of building up a superlight racing hardtail 29er.


    If one of their limited size run works for you and aluminum is your choice, then go for it. I've had a great experience with Airborne's products, and I assume Flyte has similar service.

    More interesting is that Flyte has a road bike now which is basically the old Ti Zepplin. Could another B-29 be around the corner??
  • 02-13-2006
    jrxl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by juice0276
    Sorry about the dust on the one picture.


    Hey Juice, what kind of fork are planning on throwing on that frame? I have a Reba w/ poplock sitting here waiting for a frame... I heard there might be a clearance issue?

    Should I be worried about the integrated headset? Never had a bike with one before...

    Otherwise, that frame looks pretty sweet.
  • 02-14-2006
    RandyA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    ... [snip]... Could another B-29 be around the corner??

    I thought of that too. I asked them that question back when the initial "name" switch occured and got this response:

    http://forum.flyte1.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=53&PN=3
  • 02-14-2006
    juice0276
    Same
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jrxl
    Hey Juice, what kind of fork are planning on throwing on that frame? I have a Reba w/ poplock sitting here waiting for a frame... I heard there might be a clearance issue?

    Should I be worried about the integrated headset? Never had a bike with one before...

    Otherwise, that frame looks pretty sweet.

    I have the same fork, but I think I am going to put it on my SS and just run my other Reba on my Flyte, I can let you know if there are any issues.
  • 02-14-2006
    juice0276
    Loving it
    Everyone that has come by to see the frame has loved it. It has a different look that really looks good. I can't wait to have some complete pics for y'all.
  • 02-16-2006
    juice0276
    1 Attachment(s)
    In the works
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jrxl
    Hey Juice, what kind of fork are planning on throwing on that frame? I have a Reba w/ poplock sitting here waiting for a frame... I heard there might be a clearance issue?

    Should I be worried about the integrated headset? Never had a bike with one before...

    Otherwise, that frame looks pretty sweet.

    In the works
  • 02-16-2006
    MMcG
    Does the fork clear the downtube?
  • 02-16-2006
    juice0276
    Working on it
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MMcG
    Does the fork clear the downtube?

    The fork does not clear the downtube, it is about 1/4 high, Flyte is looking at that now, to see about possibly changing that on the newer bikes.

    It doesn't pose any problem right now though.
  • 02-16-2006
    frankenbike
    There are spacers made to fit inside the zero stack headtube, allowing the installation of a convential 1 1/8th headset. This would give you more clearance since the bottom cup would then protrude outside of the headtube.

    I used such spacers for my Giant bikes that had the zero stack headset.
  • 02-17-2006
    juice0276
    Thanks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frankenbike
    There are spacers made to fit inside the zero stack headtube, allowing the installation of a convential 1 1/8th headset. This would give you more clearance since the bottom cup would then protrude outside of the headtube.

    I used such spacers for my Giant bikes that had the zero stack headset.

    Thanks for the tip, I will check 'em out.
  • 02-17-2006
    BWG
    I have a Flyte Celsius 6 that I'm very happy with. It's a beautifully built frame that gets alot of attention every ride. My riding buddies are very impressed with it. The Flyte customer service is top-notch - I have no reservations about dealing with this company.
  • 02-23-2006
    juice0276
    Almost
    I should have some pics to put up soon.
  • 02-23-2006
    juice0276
    Another one
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by volpepazza
    I was browsing the Flyte website today and was excited to find they offer a 29er, the Celcius 9. A search reveals no ride feedback. Does anyone have any experience with this bike? They seem like a good company. Just curious, as I'm thinking of building up a superlight racing hardtail 29er.

    I think I am actually going to get another one and make it my racing singlespeed. :D
  • 02-23-2006
    holycromoly
    Any new pics of this nice bike now that it's built?
  • 02-24-2006
    juice0276
    This weekend
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by holycromoly
    Any new pics of this nice bike now that it's built?

    I should have some this weekend.
  • 02-24-2006
    WillyT
    thanks for the reviews
    flyte is the is the sponser for our cycling club and with that we get 40% of all bikes and build kits. so i've been looking very hard at this for a while and was wanting to build a 29 up. So be sure to post pics once the build is complete. I've wondered why they still offer the maz 29 sl for the fork on the site now i know.


    t
  • 02-24-2006
    juice0276
    Definitely
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WillyT
    flyte is the is the sponser for our cycling club and with that we get 40% of all bikes and build kits. so i've been looking very hard at this for a while and was wanting to build a 29 up. So be sure to post pics once the build is complete. I've wondered why they still offer the maz 29 sl for the fork on the site now i know.


    t

    I will definitely put up a ton of pictures, and for anyone in the SE, I will be racing all over the SE and will be glad to show it off! :D

    Let me know.
  • 02-24-2006
    MMcG
    Any photos of the complete bike yet?
  • 02-27-2006
    juice0276
    First ride
    I got to ride it for the first time this weekend. The bike was spectacular. I am soory I don't have the pics today, I can't find the cable to download to the computer.

    The bike was flawless and the ride was definitely needed. I put in 52 miles at Tsali this weekend, I wanted to keep going, just ran out of time. I was having such a good ride that I didn't notice my hands and feet going numb from the cold. I feel like a kid with a new bike that I just got for Christmas, all I can think about is going to ride again!

    I an damn happy with this bike.
  • 02-28-2006
    juice0276
    Here is the review
    I posted the review for the bike.

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/29er/product_125320.shtml
  • 02-28-2006
    juice0276
    Pictures coming
    Till I get pictures up:

    Try to imagine

    Celsius 9 frame, Reba Sl fork, American Classic 29" disc wheels, Maxxis Ignitor 29" tires, Truvativ Team Stylo cranks with external BB, Sram XO medium cage carbon rear derailleur, SRAM X-gen front der, SRAM XO grip shifters, Hayes El-Camino Hydraulic disc brakes, Crank Brothers double ti egg beater pedals, Bontrager seatpost, stem, and race-lite riser handlebars, seat is Bontrager for now, but will be switched out for a carbon Selle San Marco night train seatwith a titanium Flyte setback seatpost.

    Bling-Bling
  • 02-28-2006
    toddre
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by juice0276


    Yeah, but where are those pics?
  • 02-28-2006
    juice0276
    1 Attachment(s)
    #2
    Picture #2
  • 02-28-2006
    juice0276
    4 Attachment(s)
    #3
    Some more
  • 02-28-2006
    juice0276
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here you go
    Here is the first picture.
  • 02-28-2006
    juice0276
    Small changes
    I will be adding a lighter stem, titanium Flyte seatpost, and a Carbon Selle San Marco saddle.

    It is just over 24 lbs. right now. I have also got some stupid heavy tubes in it.
  • 02-28-2006
    MMcG
    So will you be changing to a different headset to get more fork crown clearance?
  • 03-01-2006
    juice0276
    Probably not
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MMcG
    So will you be changing to a different headset to get more fork crown clearance?

    I don't think so, I might when this one gets old, but the current set-up works. There are 0 issues when I am riding.
  • 03-01-2006
    donkey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by juice0276
    I don't think so, I might when this one gets old, but the current set-up works. There are 0 issues when I am riding.

    The fork crown issue is definitely one you want to take care of. If the fork hits the down tube in a crash it will likely dent. A dented aluminum down tube is not a good thing!

    I would look into possible solutions like those listed above....external headset, spacer under the crown race...this type of thing.

    Otherwise the bike looks great.

    B
  • 03-01-2006
    holycromoly
    Sweet looking bike.

    I agree with Donkey. There are zero issues when riding, but you never know when you'll crash and a dent will occur. Even the mundane might get ya, like say a shop handling your bike and not knowing to avoid the downtube.

    I am riding a Cane Creek Plus5 headset and it's nice and smooth.
  • 03-02-2006
    juice0276
    Where you can get one of those?
  • 03-02-2006
    juice0276
    Nevermind
    Nevermind, that was a stupid question, brain was asleep.

    Do you think a carbon spacer would hold up, or do I need to go with Al?
  • 03-02-2006
    holycromoly
    Personally, I'd go with an aluminum spacer.

    For a more finished solution, you can bypass the zero stack headset and install these spacers below that will allow a conventional 1 1/8th headset to be installed that will sit outside (no inside like zero stack), giving you a taller bottom cup effect since it now sits outside.

  • 03-10-2006
    bikeny
    Ebb?
    That looks an EBB in the above pictures! The pictures on the Flyte web site show a normal bottom bracket. Was the EBB a custome option, or do they all come with that now? If it is standard, this looks a very good option for a SS 29er, and more versatile than the Rig, as you could run it geared as well if you want. BTW, what kind of EBB is it, looks like a set screw style? Can't quiet tell from the pictures. Any updates on the ride? Thanks for the info.

    Mark
  • 03-10-2006
    juice0276
    How it is
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bikeny
    That looks an EBB in the above pictures! The pictures on the Flyte web site show a normal bottom bracket. Was the EBB a custome option, or do they all come with that now? If it is standard, this looks a very good option for a SS 29er, and more versatile than the Rig, as you could run it geared as well if you want. BTW, what kind of EBB is it, looks like a set screw style? Can't quiet tell from the pictures. Any updates on the ride? Thanks for the info.

    Mark

    All the new bikes will be coming with the EBB, I am going to order another one to do just that.
  • 03-10-2006
    GlowBoy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bikeny
    That looks an EBB in the above pictures! The pictures on the Flyte web site show a normal bottom bracket. Was the EBB a custome option, or do they all come with that now? If it is standard, this looks a very good option for a SS 29er, and more versatile than the Rig, as you could run it geared as well if you want. BTW, what kind of EBB is it, looks like a set screw style? Can't quiet tell from the pictures. Any updates on the ride? Thanks for the info.

    Mark

    Not sure, but I believe the Celsius 9 now comes with an EBB, and the website pics were from a pre-production prototype with a conventional BB shell. That would be consistent with their stated weights of just over 4 lbs, which would be pretty heavy for an aluminum frame without EBB, but not bad for an aluminum frame with EBB. Probably just a tad lighter than the Rig, and beside being more versatile the Flyte's geometry should make for a much quicker-handling bike than the Rig. Not a bad deal for $400. I'm actually tossing around the idea of a Celsius 9 for a lightweight townie/rigid MTB/beach bike.

    Of course the One Niner is an EBB aluminum frame that weighs another half-pound or so less, and probably rides and handles even better, but it costs almost twice as much.
  • 03-10-2006
    holycromoly
    Quote:

    ...I'm actually tossing around the idea of a Celsius 9 for a lightweight townie/rigid MTB/beach bike
    That's what I told myself when I bought my Inbred. It was supposed to be my single speed rigid commuter. One mouth later, it's my gear'd hardtail mountain bike. ;)
  • 03-13-2006
    juice0276
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bikeny
    That looks an EBB in the above pictures! The pictures on the Flyte web site show a normal bottom bracket. Was the EBB a custome option, or do they all come with that now? If it is standard, this looks a very good option for a SS 29er, and more versatile than the Rig, as you could run it geared as well if you want. BTW, what kind of EBB is it, looks like a set screw style? Can't quiet tell from the pictures. Any updates on the ride? Thanks for the info.

    Mark

    The ride is spectacular, and yes that is a set screw style EBB.
  • 03-13-2006
    juice0276
    1 Attachment(s)
    At the races
    Here's the bike at the races, rode awesome. Had a run in with some brown ice, another rider, and a broken der hanger.
  • 03-14-2006
    juice0276
    4 Attachment(s)
    New pics
    Here are some new pictures, with some upgraded parts:
  • 03-14-2006
    holycromoly
    Is that the Flyte Ti seatpost?
  • 03-14-2006
    juice0276
    Yes
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by holycromoly
    Is that the Flyte Ti seatpost?

    Yes it is.
  • 03-14-2006
    MMcG
    the more I look at your Flyte the more I'm liking it - especially at $399.00 for a frame.

    did you change the headset to allow for better fork clearance - or are you just going to keep it as is and hope for the best in any crash that might happen?
  • 03-14-2006
    juice0276
    No, I am going to get a spacer, it's just that the Reba is a little larger at the bottom. I have to get a spacer that will fit.
  • 03-14-2006
    MMcG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by holycromoly
    Personally, I'd go with an aluminum spacer.

    For a more finished solution, you can bypass the zero stack headset and install these spacers below that will allow a conventional 1 1/8th headset to be installed that will sit outside (no inside like zero stack), giving you a taller bottom cup effect since it now sits outside.


    Where do you find those type of spacers to allow for the use of a traditional headset on a headtube such as the Flyte?
  • 03-14-2006
    juice0276
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frankenbike
    There are spacers made to fit inside the zero stack headtube, allowing the installation of a convential 1 1/8th headset. This would give you more clearance since the bottom cup would then protrude outside of the headtube.

    I used such spacers for my Giant bikes that had the zero stack headset.

    Where are these available?

    Who makes 'em?
  • 03-14-2006
    juice0276
    Not sure, but someone reading this will know.
  • 04-10-2006
    holycromoly
    How do you like the American Classic 350 wheelset?

    I am interested in getting a set. I know they a couple of bad marks over in the review section.