any extra tall guys gone custom out there?? (X-post in clyd's)- Mtbr.com
    Bigger is better!
    May 2005

any extra tall guys gone custom out there?? (X-post in clyd's)

custom or monkey for 6"9' rider??
    ------------------------------------------------

as you all probably can understand from seeing my current bike (23" kiddie-wheel with a 420mm seatpost and 120mm stem), i believe i could use a larger frame.

i think my current bike is OK, but since i've never ridden a bike bigger than mine, i've got nothing to compare it with..

SO: any extra tall guys (i'm 6"9' with a 41" inseam) out there who have experienced a considerable increase in "frame fit" by going to a bigger-than-standard custom frame(typically XXL'ish)?

i'm definitively going (steel) 29er hardtail, but i'm not sure how much better a custom frame will fit me when compared to a XL monkey(which is only slightly larger than my current). i'm guessing a custom (walt/spicer/etc) will cost me about twice as much as a monkey here in norway..

so many questions, so few answers...

May 2005
    Ouch.

I can relate- sorta. I'm a girlish 6'5" w/ size 15 (50 euro) feet. Sidi is the only company out there that makes stuff to fit my flippers. Before I could afford Sidis, I just suffered.

I had a Rock Lobster built for me with 26" wheels. It fits nice, but I wish I'd been wise to 29" wheels at the time.

I also used to own an XL KM. I think you'd better go custom. The KM would be tons more comfy than what you've got now, but why waste money on it when perfection is around the corner. Save up your $ so you can get something that fits right. You won't regret it.

Recovering couch patato
    Lower that seatpost, make another picture, and sell the bike. That will help you have a proper custom built for you. Being in Europe, you could see if there's a local Duratec distributor who would be willing to help you out. Might not cost the world.
    I had the very first Duratec 29" bike built for a customer back in the day, he's 2m03/6'8" with ~40" inseam. It made night an day difference over bikes similar to yours. He also got the frame prepared for 195mm custom cranks.
    I hope more superclydes chime in!

Cassoulet forever !
    I'm 6'2 and ride an XL KM.
    With your size go for a custom !

How is riding in norway ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

featherweight clydesdale
    Go custom and don't look back.

Beer it does a body good!

6-7 on a XL

My road bike is a custom, 67 2/3 cm. I got lucky with the KM it just fits but I am the reverse of you long body kinda short legs 35 inch" pants leg 37.25 inch leg. I am at the limit for this frame. I would suggest emailing Walt, I think he would love to build one for you. He will build one for me when I get done paying all my kids sports camps, leauges equipment etc.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Recently built a full suspension 29er for a friend. He is 6'8", 275 lbs and has a 39 inseam. Used a Zinn Cycles XXL full susp frame with WB .10 fork. He is as happy as a clam at high tide. First bike he has ever had that he wasn't scrounged over the handlebars. Go to Zinncycles website and check them out. Lennard is 6'7" himself so he knows the problems.

Jan 2004

I feel your pain

I am 6'-7'' and understand what you you go through trying to find a frame to fit. I have a custom Waltworks being shipped now and am fired up. I have had several custom 26ers built ( Ventana FSers) and they are nice but I am ready for the big wheels. I remember riding all the xl off the shelf bikes and thinking they were ok but once you get your first custom frame built to fit you will wonder how you ever rode those circus bikes. Nothing like a frame that fits you right.
    Go for a custom steel frame.
    Happy trails, Doug

Recovering Weight Weenie
    6'6 with size 15 foot too. 39" inseam.

I had a custom steel SS built.
    I had a custom full-suspension built, the Lenz Leviathan, in size XXL. I'd say you'd need a XXXL though.

Your current bike is sad! Your fun meter will peg when you get rollin' on a custom fit and sized 29er!

Here's mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

BigPanda
    Jul 2005

I like the doorknob and lightswitch as height references points

I don't know much about custom bikes, but I looked into the Zinn customs as suggested by my LBS owner and friend. Our local GF dealer got a hold of me and told me how the other big fella in town was loving his XL Sugar 292. I was skeptical. This other guy is 6'8" 300 lbs. I'm a measly 6'5" 225lbs. The problem has been the long legs, short arm syndrome. No bike was working. So this year I fought for this Sugar and got one of the las 13 made. I am stoked. I even think it could fit a larger rider very comfortably. It feels too big for me some days, especially with the short arms, but I find the 29 wheels and the geometry feel like a bike should. Just thought I'd throw in my experience as it saved me half the money of a custom build.

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    Look here: http://cyclecomponents.com they should have everything you need !!! (Surly & Dos Niner)

I'm watining eagerly to come to norway because I'll spend next 4 months there ..
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

Jul 2004

Big Fella

Suggest you check my post Asylum XL - Dusty and Dirty!

I'm 6'6" and this thing is almost too big for me. All you would need is a 130mm stem and another inch of seatpost and you'd be in business.

All without the hassle of custom.

Bigtc

Recovering couch patato
    One thing I've been missing in all large 29"er, apart from one custom, is proportionae chainstays. Big fellows want a proportionate bike, yet get chainstays the same a foot shorter rider would happily use?
    With a 41" inseam, even with 210mm as belong to that, you'll sit so far behind the BB, that you get close to the rear axle. Tall folks pull unvoluntary wheelies on bridges, and it's only because chainstays are unproportionately short. Sure, with 480mm chainstays you'll have a hard time keeping up with the 26"/5'8" rider on 425mm on tight singletrack between the trees, but even with supashort chainstays that would be a fact.
    The fun thing for tall riders is that with proportionate chainstays and the same 29" wheels, they can get more rear wheel travel out of their suspension bike. afterall, the 29" wheels are relatively small for them already, more room left to move around it in the frame.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    WOW! thanks for all the input everyone!

looks like i will have to cash out for a custom frame once i get the money..

i was recently made aware of this UK company that builds veeery cheap custom Ti-frames. anyone heard of them?

thanks again!!

Recovering couch patato
    Amazingly low prices...

Do ask around about Duratec, and what you'd pay for a frame made of their burliest tubing (it's all alu). My customer came out very cheaply, but it's some years ago already. Contact a distributor directly. I'd gladly help out making a BikeCAD drawing to show to the Czechs. start with an affordable frame, make it ready for longer cranks, get the bike rolling with affordable superstrong wheels and start upgrading from there, custom 200mm cranks, slightly more advanced wheels, etc. Also consider getting wider bars, your present ones seem to be standard XC-width, 3? Brrrr!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi Langen,

Wie gehts ?
    I am just about the same size and had a Karate Monkey XL built up as tall as possible by Path Bike in CA...... it should be arriving here tomorrow.
    I'll post some pics and advise " the fit " after some testing..
    From all that I have read, the KM XL seems to be the best stock frame to try. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll consider a custom from Wiley or Walt.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPanda
    I don't know much about custom bikes, but I looked into the Zinn customs as suggested by my LBS owner and friend. .
    Lenz is the builder for Zinn's custom full-suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Ventana El Capitan

Has anyone tried the 29er Ventana El Capitan?

They have this FS model in a 25" frame with 26.1" ETT. That is huge.

I have been riding a measley XL Cannondale for some years. I need a serious upgrade.

I am 6-8" and 225#.

I am also considering a Turner 5 spot in size Sasquatch. Only problem is 26" wheels.

Jan 2004

I would defin. look at Ventana

I am 6'-7" (225lbs+/-) and have had 2 Ventana custom built 26ers ( El Saltamontes & X-5) and have been extremely pleased with both bikes. Ventanas are hard to beat for the stiffness I think and they are a very quality co. I am just now venturing into the 29er world with a Waltworks steel hardtail and if I decide to go with a FS 29er it will defin. be a Ventana as of now. The quad bearings on the X-5 I have make for a super laterally stiff bike and it still not that heavy at all. They have built alot of large bikes for big guys and seem to have good exp. at it.
    Hope this helps some, Doug

Jul 2005

Smile 6'7'' and 240 here

Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    I am 6'-7" (225lbs+/-) and have had 2 Ventana custom built 26ers ( El Saltamontes & X-5) and have been extremely pleased with both bikes. Ventanas are hard to beat for the stiffness I think and they are a very quality co. I am just now venturing into the 29er world with a Waltworks steel hardtail and if I decide to go with a FS 29er it will defin. be a Ventana as of now. The quad bearings on the X-5 I have make for a super laterally stiff bike and it still not that heavy at all. They have built alot of large bikes for big guys and seem to have good exp. at it.
    Hope this helps some, Doug
    I've been riding dinky little bikes (a couple of stumpjumpers) with 400mm seatposts just like that for fifteen years.I've never ridden a 29ner but I pulled the trigger and I'm on the waitlist for a waltworks custom frame.I don't think I've ever ridden a bike that fit me, so I'm patiently waiting another couple of months.It's very cool to read a thread by other long legged mountain bikers.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    seems like i'm not the only one in this situation

but i guess there are many "sasquatch-sized" guys who will never have the opportunity to get a custom frame made just for them, and will therefore never experience bike-nirvana. which is too bad really..

i really hope i'll come to bike-nirvana some time this autumn

doncoyote and surfdog93: be sure to give a "fit-report" of your new WW and KM when they arrive!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Langen,

I really think the KM XL will work for you.

I have only been able to go for a short 30min ride, but I can tell you it fits me so much better than my 26er and it just feels so much better.....
    After this weekend I will post some pics and advise further findings.