Any experience on a Soma Wolverine?- Mtbr.com
    RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Any experience on a Soma Wolverine?

Looking for a bike I can take on the road and gravel, along with throwing in some touring both on and off road. This looks like it has those bases covered, but would like to hear from those that have ridden one and what you would compare it to (also looking at Macho Disc and Salsa Vaya for same purposes). Thanks!

mtbr member
    You might want to try searching the Bikepacking, Commuting or Cyclocross forums. People that hang out in those places might have more experience with that style of bike.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Posted in the cx forum. No bites in 5 days so I figured I would check here. Ill keep fishing!

mtbr member
    It's a sweet bike. Looks like you'll have to get one and report back to the forum!

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So I'm going to be the Soma guinea pig....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    So I'm going to be the Soma guinea pig....
    I can at least vouch for Soma in general, although not the Wolverine specifically. I have a Double Cross that has logged many miles all over the world, and the frame has been solid. I think Soma hits the price/performance value target better than almost anyone. The framesets are only slightly more expensive than Surly, but the tubing quality and build quality are arguably equal (or better) than Salsa.

The Vaya is a nice bike, but they aren't available new as framesets (if that is important to you), the tire clearance is substantially less than a Wolverine, and you lose the tensioning/belt-split option of the Wolverine dropouts.

A Specialized AWOL frameset is $100 higher than the Wolverine and commits you to a long TT / short stem geo. The Fargo commits you to a dirt-drop type of geometry that, imho, isn't appealing on the road. Personally I prefer the more conventional geo of the Vaya or Wolverine.

My sole complaint about the Wolverine: the sizing. Despite having 5 sizes, the increments in reach/stack dimensions are so small that the 5 sizes only cover the middle range of people sizes. Its also a bit short for my tastes: the stack of the largest (58cm) Wolverine is less than the stack of a 55cm Vaya and less than the XS size Fargo!

So as much as I love the Wolverine design, at 6'4" its unfortunately a categorical no for me.

A God Without A Name
    ^Did you know that with their newer runs of the Wolverine they intend to expand their sizing by a lot? the Wolverine was a home-run in sales for them. They intend to make a lot more of them!

mtbr member
    Have you guys though about going 650 on them?

I was thinking about buying the wolverine and some Sun Ringle black flags for the wheel option. Then plumping the tire size to offset the clearance. Also this comes with removable dropouts which states you can go tru-axle. Maybe 27.5 with fat tires and 12x142 >

Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro SL 27.5 Wheelset w/ Stan's Accessories | Sun Ringle

Also some Velo Orange Pestino bars with XT hydraulic brakes and a single shifter on the i-beam bracket thus running 1x10.

But....hey....a man can wish.

A God Without A Name
    I'd rather 27.5 a Straggler than my Wolverine. The ride is peppier on Wolvie, but it's also more forgiving. between the Cambium, The Frame and my 38x700c tires it already feels like it's floating, I genuinely wan't to go even skinnier on my tires.

The Straggler on the other hand has a harsher ride from its thicker tubes. Something High Volume tires would offset nicely.

Surly actually offers 650b Stragglers now. as the conversion was a huge hit the first year they came out.

If you do go 650 on a Wolverine, It will probably be marshmallowy soft. Which could be exactly what you're looking for.

A God Without A Name
    PS. I ran like... 2 inch slicks on my Straggler, they rubbed the frame when turning at speeds (due mostly to a cheap rear wheel) but it was probably the best that bike ever rode.

mtbr member
    Sorry, i cannot stand the feel of surly tubing. I've ridden some of the touring and while albeit sturdy they are tanks compared to the Tange offering. I would just do the Wolverine in 650 with some XC MTB tires or slick style touring tires from Soma.

I imagine it would be "soft" but with the added options of a thicker rear axle would it just even out?? Also a 31.8 sized bar to stiffen up the front end.

A God Without A Name
    I feel you. I like their tubing on MTB's and for like, the steamroller. but for anything with long saddle times, I just have never been happy.

It's why I got rid of my Straggler.

The wolverine is still going to fit some pretty fat tires in 700c. If you want to be the one to try out 650b, by all means get back to us.

The Wolverine is stiffer in the right ways, when compared to other Somas I've ridden. It's not soggy in the stays at all. I imagine a thru-axle is going to make it even snappier. I've considered doing it, since my rear hub can convert to that with a kit. But I haven't yet. I ride this bike as a super commuter/fat guy road bike. so I'm more interested in speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    this bike feels great, but the sliding dropouts are a joke. biggest headache of any bike ive ever owned... and the "caring" customer service is quite a joke to go with it. im sure there will be a crop of large tire cross style frames coming in the near future... if i could go back in time i would buy something else. hope this helps anyone who's on the fence.