Any 5'4-5'5" riders on Rocky Mountain Element 29ers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any 5'4-5'5" riders on Rocky Mountain Element 29ers?

Looking at getting my wife a new bike. She is 5'4-5'5" tall. We have a chance to get a steal on an Element 930 29er, but don't have the luxury of test fitting it. I am worried about the standover height of 771mm for the Small size. As a comparison, the 26er has a standover of 736 (don't have a chance to test that one either) . She has pretty average proportions regarding leg/torso lengths.

Does anybody know any similarly sized riders riding that bike or who have tried the bike only to find the top tube way too high.
    Looks like the medium has the same standover, so short-legged long-torso riders on a medium may have feedback too?

I'm also curious to know exactly where they measure the standover. I looked up my own Rip9 and the official measurement is all fine and dandy, but the reality is that if I am actually standing over the bike forward enough that the seat isn't trying to give me a rectal exam, the standover is higher (less crotch clearance) than the numbers would suggest.

Any personal experience with the element 930 or 950 would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Send a message to Erica via this website:

Erica Tingey

She is sponsored by Rocky Mountain and is very involved in getting Women involved in MTBing. She runs many clinics for women here in the mountain west.

She would know. Super awesome chick BTW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have XL element 950, much bigger bike I know. Standover is not even close to being an issue. I can tell you that it is a fantastic bike that loves to go fast.

It is the perfect blend between a xcountry and trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I have XL element 950, much bigger bike I know. Standover is not even close to being an issue. I can tell you that it is a fantastic bike that loves to go fast.

It is the perfect blend between a xcountry and trail bike.
    LOL! Thanks - good to hear that it is a fantastic bike.

Problem, is, that Rocky Mountain does something I have never seen before and that is the standover height is the same across all sizes for a particular model. Therefore, your XL has the exact same 771m standover as the Small!! Most other brands/models have stnadover heights that increase with larger frame sizes. I'm guessing you must be 6ft tall or above, so I'm glad to hear that you feel that the standover height is not an issue!

Do you have any short(ish) friends that can step over your bike and see whether it would be an issue for them since the height is the same as a small?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sure let me get my wife on it, she is 5'4''.

Are you sure that is true? She has 29 inch legs and there is no way she could dismount the bike

without ramming it on her female parts.

Did a quick not very precise measurent from lowest to mid to high point

28,5-33-38 inch.
    Last edited by Learux; 08-18-2012 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Sure let me get my wife on it, she is 5'4''.

Are you sure that is true? She has 29 inch legs and there is no way she could dismount the bike

without ramming it on her female parts.

Did a quick not very precise measurement from lowest to mid to high point

28,5-33-38 inch.
    THANK YOU very much for getting your wife to try it out.

Yes, according to their website and the geometry chart, the standover height does not change with the size of the frame. That is true for both the 29er and 26er versions of the Element (difference being that the 26er standover is significantly lower of course).

Edit: Cool - thanks. I did not see that you added those measurements. The standover height they report it 771mm which eqals 30.3 inches, so about halfway between the lowest and mid points that you measured. I think that realistically someone needs a 31-32 inch inseem to safely ride that bike if they want to ever consider unplanned dismounts without having to worry about their crotch. I guess we'll go for the 26er version or try to find a deal on a different 29er. Thanks again.

Here is the geometry from the Rocky Mountain website:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That makes sense as the location of where they would measure the standover height.

I think it is safe to say that 29er is out of the question.

Members who have read this thread: 0