Anthem 29er or superfly 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Anthem 29er or superfly 100

Which one? I want a trail bike that I can race from time to time. I have narrowed it down to the Gary Fisher (trek) Superfly 100 Elite or the Giant Anthem 29er with a few parts upgrades to bring it up to the level of the GF.

Price is not really an issue as they will be about the same, I just want a fast bike.

I narrowed it down to these two due to the brands that my LBS carry

mtbr member
    Tough Choice! Both great bikes getting rave reviews. The Superfly was experiencing some cracks in carbon on the bottom swing arm earlier this year but I haven't heard any recent rumblings.
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

AZ
    banned
    Gotta ride them both and then choose .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am leaning towards the Gary Fisher just because of their commitment to the cause and experience and this is giants first attempt. Is this valid or do Giant always put out a good product?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I own both a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus as well a Giant Anthem X3 29er. The Hifi Plus at least feels like a much bulkier bike than the AnthemX 29er. The Superfly 100 may use carbon fiber but it's essentially the same design as the Hifi.

The Anthem X also has a much more aggressive riding position the Hifi Plus for better power transfer. The Anthem also feels much racier than the Hifi Plus and is sharper in the turns, it feels more agile than the Hifi Plus.

However the Hifi Plus feels beefier,however that may be due to the 2009 F29 and the insert used for the steerer tube. I've ever run out of suspension on the Hifi. The Hifi is also a true monster on the downhills especially with a set of powerful brakes, I have Shimano Saints on mine.

The Giant also has a better component group. Shimano Dyna sis 10 speed and uses a 15mm T/A fork. The GF uses a regular drivetrain and comes with a 9mm q/r. All the Anthem 29er's are equiped with boost valve in their rear shocks.

Unfortunately my trail experience with the Anthem X3 is far more limited.

As far as reliability issues are concerned they're both less than perfect the Anthem X 29er's have a recall and the Superfly 100 has its issues. If reliability is an issue I would go with Giant,especially over Trek's carbon fiber technology. Trek has some serious breakage problems with their Superfly and Superfly 100. Giant's record with aluminum is far better.

If you're racing go with the Anthem if you're going to be doing more rough cross country or even all mountain riding I would take the Superfly 100.

I also have Giant's XTC 29er, ironically it feels much burlier than my 1X9 Rig.
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 08-26-2010 at 03:22 PM.

lookin' for a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles

As far as reliability issues are concerned they're both less than perfect the Anthem X 29er's have a recall

please, enlighten us...

AZ
    banned
    Anthem X 29er's have a recall

Link ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yep - it's true.. i started a thread about it yesterday:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=646261

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I own a Superfly100 but have been a Giant guy for the last 3 years.I have had zero issues with my Fly100.I actually cracked my 2010 Advanced sl frame after 6 months(replced in 3 days under warranty) that's what prompted me to get a 29er.The only thing that made me nervouse about Fisher was how long it was taking them to get product warrantied.
    I don't think you could go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

If you're racing go with the Anthem if you're going to be doing more rough cross country or even all mountain riding I would take the Superfly 100.
    Could you elaborate a littel more? My friend jsut rented a HiFi to try it out as he is in the market and really desires a 29er. I own a Fuel EX8 and was simply amazed at how awesome the 29er felt going uphill. I quite leterally chewed him up on the more technical items but only because I throw the Fuel around way more than I should due to my riding style is a FR/Am style and beat the crap out of it.

I am in the market now for a 29er because I want a "flow" bike like that 29er provided. However I simply hated the HiFi handlebar setup and the massive "race" sweep at 13degrees.

That could be changed though obviously.I really like the layout and look of the Giant 29er Anthems. The Trek LBS makes a huge deal of the G2 Geometry that the Giant does not have.

Also they both have 100mm of travel were a third contender the Rumblefish boasts 120mm (although as I understand it 100mm is the 29er's sweet spot.)

Finally, I hope I did not hijack the thread but my inquery is the same as the OP in the sens that I am really quite interested in the Giant Anthem X series, any additonal expirience or advice information would be very much appreciated.

Naturally Organic

Smile Maybe it's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by ianinco
    Which one? I want a trail bike that I can race from time to time. Price is not really an issue as they will be about the same, I just want a fast bike.
    IMO, neither bike fits the OP description...I consider these opposite of what is stated...IMO, these are more "race" bikes that can be used on trails...again, maybe it's just me...

I decided on a lightweight race bike that will be used on all sorts of trails and definitely not for it's intended purpose...I am okay with that, and the OP might be also for his own situation...just clarifying that the maintenance, upkeep, care and such might be a bit different than having a "trail" bike that is raced...my LBS and the Trek dealer both tried to talk me out of the bike I chose & the Superfly 100 Elite because of my intended purpose...just FYI...

Quote Originally Posted by ianinco
    I narrowed it down to these two due to the brands that my LBS carry
    Have you checked out the Rumblefish? For your LBS choice, I think of that as a trail bike that could do well in a race...IMO...YMMV...

Outside of your LBS choice, I know people racing Sultans. The Pivot Mach 429 is burly and is used for racing. The Stumpjumper FSR or Camber (designed more for trail, but anything can be raced )...YMMV...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Could you elaborate a littel more? My friend jsut rented a HiFi to try it out as he is in the market and really desires a 29er. I own a Fuel EX8 and was simply amazed at how awesome the 29er felt going uphill. I

Actually I took the Anthem X 29er trail riding right after writing my "review". The Anthem X 29er is a monster in the rock gardens. I was riding in Santiago Oaks and was going down the rock garden that immediately follows "the chutes" and saw a three foot drop, I hit the drop with the Anthem X 29er like it was nothing. Afterwards I found out that my fork was in the fully locked position! This thing is absolutely insane on the downhills!

As far as riding in general is concerned I like the Anthem X 29er's Shimano Dynasis drivetrain, it feels very smooth. This is not to say that Hifi is a bad climber because it's a great climber too. However the Dyna Sys 10 speed system is very smooth. Although I like the Dyna sys drivetrain better it's difficult to say which bike is the better climber.

The Anthem X 29er also feels more agile than the Hifi Plus it's such a manuverable bike, for a 29er. The G2 fork isn't bad but it can be a liability on very steep ascents and cause the bike to move erratically, I've only encountered this situation once.

Riding position on the Anthem is better, you're bent over more and this improves power transfer. I also think this helps if you're going to catch some serious air.

However the Hifi does feel "burlier" . It feels like a bigger and tougher bike than the Anthem . I haven't taken any serious drops with the Hifi so this remains to be seen but it does feel chunkier than the Anthem. I've only taken one "crazy" descent with the Hifi. My friend who was riding a Trance X0 told me his buddy wiped on this particular descent and to be careful, it felt like nothing on the Hifi. I felt like I was just riding down a paved parking lot. My other friend on his Rocky Mountain hardtail 29er had the ride of his life. He told me he that he was scared "s***less" going down that same hill.

Although the the Hifi and Anthem X 29er are both good bikes the Anthem has several key advantages:

1. Standard 15mm T/A
    2. Shimano Dynasys 10 speed drivetrain
    3. More efficient and responsive rider geometry
    4. Better saddle, the X3 comes with a fizik Tundra saddle. The Hifi Plus has a truly awful saddle that will make you want to stop riding after 10 minutes. I replaced both saddles with leather saddles so for me this wasn't an issue.
    5. Brakes. The Anthem X3 comes with Elixir 3's while the Hifi Plus comes with Juicy 3's,giving the Anthem X3 slightly better brakes. I replaced the brakes on both bikes with Shimano Saints so this wasn't an issue for me. Both bikes however deserve far better brakes because of their respective downhill capabilities.

As far as urban or city riding is concerned the Anthem X 29er is definitely far more fun to ride around town with it's agility and manuverability. The Hifi Plus is a good riding bike but too it's not quite as much fun in the urban areas as the Anthem X 29er.

I think Trek did a great job with the 2010 Hifi and created an incredible platform. However Giant simply outdid them with the Anthem X 29er.
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 09-17-2010 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey mefistofeles, where'd you get your Anthem 29? I'm in OC too bought haven't bought a Giant in sometime so who's the good LBS that carry Giant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I usually shop at Elixxir Cycles in Walnut,they have very good service and by far the best labor rates if you need someone to work on your bike. I know that there is a good bike store in Fullerton.

http://www.fullertonbicycle.com/

These guys are Giant dealers supposedly they'll take 10% off of the MSRP.

Members who have read this thread: 0