Am I crazy? Will I hate myself if...- Mtbr.com
    Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Am I crazy? Will I hate myself if...

...I sell my baby??? I recently got engaged and while she's the love of my life, we now have some credit card debt we'd like to pay off. I'm(NOT her idea ) considering selling my frame, Lefty and Lefty wheelset and buying a rigid OnOne, Jabberwocky, or something of the sort. The theory is, sell off the big ticket pieces of the bike and move everything to the cheap frame and get a cheap set of wheels, stick it out for a year or two and then get a dream bike in 2012/2013. I'll will most definitely become a better rider too

I rode my usual trail today with my fork locked out but took it REALLY easy so as not to screw it up from a big hit It didn't beat me up too bad but I was only going at 75%. Also, without the proper sag, my HA was REALLY slack so the handling was weird. The main test was to see if my arms/wrists could take it and I'll think I'll be fine.

Am I crazy? Will I regret it or will going to a "cheap" steel, rigid, geared bike be an eye opener? Here's what I'm riding now:

It's a SWEET ride and I have no complaints whatsoever but riding it while owing a balance with revolving interest seems dumb. It's going to be a $15,000 bike if I don't pay off that card! I don't know... I guesstimate that I can walk away with $500-$1000 and still have a bike to ride. Opinions?

mtbr member
    Sell the truck...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Uhhhh, wouldn't walk away with money if I did that:/ Found Off Road Depreciated... I hear you though. The bike is DEFINITELY not the only thing we're selling. Lots of crap is getting cleared out

Expert Crasher
    I've been debt free for a few years now - it is a great feeling. Heading into a marriage, it's best to be on a solid foundation so don't second guess yourself on the adult decisions necessary to get where you want to be.

Life is good without debt, it's good with a simple rigid singlespeed, and it's good with a great woman.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't do it for less then $1k. You'll spend twice that trying to replace it. Get a second job on the weekends or nights. You'll make that much back in no time.

m_g
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've thought about this....

Getting rid of my four bikes and just keeping my steel SS Mary would reduce maintenance, reduce the cost of replacement parts and clear some (very little) debt. But you know what, I couldn't help myself, and I know it would become the pimpest Mary around...I think selling a depreciating "asset" like this may be a false economy (especially if you have a penchant for high end shiny things-we can see your truck in the pic!!!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah sell it. Humans are still considered to be more important than inanimate objects of status in some places.
    PoisonDogFart

mtbr member
    Use her dowry to cover the debt.

Lost money selling+ cost of new bike= not worth it. Keep the bike and tighten belts elsewhere.

Congrats, BTW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sell it and get out of debt as quickly as possible - that bike will be obsolete in 2 years max (single speed simplicity will last longer, but not forever).
    Also, as someone who has owned at least a half dozen 'dream bikes' over the years, your idea of that dream bike will change. Hopefully, you and your wife-to-be's ideas about each other won't change. We will have our 18th anniversary in about 2 weeks and over that time I have had many jobs and many bikes, but I stick to my original well-thought-out marriage decision. And we are debt free and happy - but not rich.

Plays with tools
    do you really think you are going ot come out far enough ahead to make it worth while? If your going to sell that and buy something else you might free up ~$750 bucks?

mtbr member
    you and i have different ideas of "cheap bike" if your idea = jabberwocky.

hahaha... good luck with your decision.
    it's fun to do bad things

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by broncojd78
    you and i have different ideas of "cheap bike" if your idea = jabberwocky.

hahaha... good luck with your decision.
    LOL I just googled it and they're WAY more than I thought they were I thought they were$300 at most

mtbr member
    I won't comment on debt/finances...but I can add some insight on your bike thoughts. I just "downgraded" from a sweet Niner One 9 to an On One Inbred. I have also owned a Bandersnatch, which is essentially a Jabber. The On One is a great bike. My Niner was the best bike I had been on....light, nimble, and fit me like a glove. I "downgraded" because I tend to build bikes...ride them a month or two, and then sell them when I see another deal on something and build another bike up. In fact, I bought the On One from Inbred that I had seen pictured in this forum. I have it rigid, with a Reba sitting in the garage. I keep saying I will put the Reba on it, but the rigid is a lot of fun to ride. "Point and shoot" as they say. Put a big front tire (I run a 2.4 Ralph) and run it tubeless with low pressure and you will be fine. I can see this being the first bike I keep a while. Like you said, you can be a better rider after it is all said and done and you will appreciate you next bike and no/less debt. Besides, you will ALWAYS have a big sacrifice you can point out to the wife moving fwd, and that is priceless.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckUni
    Sell the truck...

Yeah, sell the monster truck, and the boat and rv you haul around with it. Then you can quit working for a year, buy a smaller, more efficient vehicle(used, no payments), and go ride everywhere you've ever wanted to.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs
    Besides, you will ALWAYS have a big sacrifice you can point out to the wife moving fwd, and that is priceless.
    SOLD! Brownie Points are priceless

Pedaler of dirt
    Keep the bike. You're getting married so all future bike purchases will have to be justified (unless she's also a rider). This could be the last time for quite some time you'll have such a nice bike.

Set up a payment program to pay off the credit card or get a load cost loan from your bank.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Every time I have sold a bike to pay off debt, I have regretted it in the long run...

Simply prioritizing and careful budgeting did the trick for me.

mtbr member

Smile

Sell the truck, even if you take a hit you no longer have a $600+/mo. payment. Plus you've cleared up a ton of debt. At least sell the wheels and put stock back on there. Plus how much more depreciation do you have to live through on that thing.

Sell the truck.
    Sell the truck.
    Sell the truck.

Ride your bike to work.

Sorry, this is partially in jest. I sold a Mitsu Evo that I used as a track car. Best car I've ever owned or driven, but it was a great decision. Biking is cheaper, more fun, and healthier.

mtbr member
    screw it all max the cards, quit your job and go ride every possible day cause rumor has it the world ends in 2012,,,

mtbr member

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat
    screw it all max the cards, quit your job and go ride every possible day cause rumor has it the world ends in 2012,,,
    Yea, 5 days after my birthday! I'm gonna party up on that one

mtbr member
    With all sincerity, get rid of that fossil fool vehicle behind the bike.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    With all sincerity, get rid of that fossil fool vehicle behind the bike.
    Here we go...

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Don't do it - you will regret it.

You don't want to live with regret, trust me.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Keep both, too costly to replace. Work more hours and consolidate your debt if possible. If your judgment proof just stop paying, become distressed and the CC companies will be negotiating with you in no time...all the kids are doing it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    Keep both, too costly to replace. Work more hours and consolidate your debt if possible. If your judgment proof just stop paying, become distressed and the CC companies will be negotiating with you in no time...all the kids are doing it...
    +1
    The bike lost most of its value when you purchased it. Too late for it to help your net-wealth and debt if you plan to buy another/other bikes sometime soon. Just keep it longer.

....I hope you didn't buy a ring? You did didn't you. Is that the CC debt?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If this bike is/was a dream bike and you love it, don't sell it. You will regret it. It may seem like a good way to help get out of debt at the moment, but there are other ways. I've done it in the past, with the same intentions of buying better once my financial situation improved. The finances did get better over time, but I still wish I had my old stuff that Ii loved. Now, my wife won't let me sell stuff because she knows that I will regret it later on.

Just some advice...my wife and I improved our finances greatly by not going out to eat but maybe once a week. The month prior to stopping, we tracked every cent for a month that went to going out for meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). We were shocked by how much we spent.

Jacob 34:19
    What are your other bikes?

What??? That's the only bike you own? You'd be nuts to sell it. The pittance you'd get back from it would be far outweighed by regret. Besides, how much "bike money" do you think you'll get after the vows? Does she ride? No? Hmm, yeah pretty much no bike allowance. Kids in the master plan? Definitely no bike money once the bun is in the oven.

Don't get me wrong, these are great milestones and far more important than the toys in the attic, or garage as it may be. But that's a real gem you've got there and you won't soon replace it. And as great as cheap SS's are (I love my Blackbuck and my Monkey), it's a bit different when it's the only horse in the stable.

There's three times that people will come out of the woodwork to screw you out of every last dime you've got. When you're born (or when your kids are born), when you get married, and when you die. You've gotta deal with at least two of them. You should at least be riding your dream bike while you're at it.

All in jest ...but that is a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As someone who is went from living in debt to being debt free and then went through being laid off for nine months, my advice to you is to keep the bike and find other was to save money.

For the money you are trying to get out of the bike, just make the wedding that much cheaper. Seriously, most people spend 10 times what that bike cost you on weddings. Set a limit of a $1000-$2000 (yes, its very doable) on the wedding even if it means someone doesn't get to live out their princess complex and take the money you will have saved and pay off debts and go on a nice honeymoon. Then come home and ride your sweet bike.

Also, take it from me, when you pay those credit cards off, destroy them and never get another one. It will make your life so much simpler.

mtbr member
    I would say that whatever you have to do to be debt free is worth it. Not carrying those heavy chains is an incredible feeling!

But I would try and tighten up your spending in other places before you sell the bike. Don't go out to eat so often, bike to work(if possible), etc... Once you start putting money against your debt and you see it going away it gets addictive. You get excited and want it to pay off stuff faster. Atleast that has been my experience!

Naturally Organic

jrm
    mtbr member

Youve gotta do what you youve gotta do

Just think that when things improve you'll be that much more ahead if you pay the CC debt off now instead of later.

Congrats..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ducktape posted the 'Once a rider, always a rider?' thread on the passion forum. I mention it for the parallels noted therein. My wife and I had the major crackhead, Crazy Eddie, everything-must-go kind of sale to get out of debt (think Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover). We had zero cc debt, but lots of other types of debt. $25K gone in 8 months, now we have just the mortgage. Selling my race bike was part of it, which was my idea - not my wife's. Ebay and Craigslist were very helpful. I decided to step back for a bit, save up, then buy something decent when ready/able.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Your theory has one MAJOR flaw - The pipe dream that you are going to have the money to build another bike like that AFTER you get married. You'll have less money dumbass !

Seriously though, When you say "we" have some credit card debt to pay off I hope you really mean "we" and not "she". Don't go down that road bro...

Chronic 1st-timer
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Keep the bike. Selling at a loss now and paying more for a "dream bike" later makes no sense.

Get married at home, or a parents home, or a friends home, or outdoors at some killer location. We got married on a hill behind our house with only 3 others there. We started planning a wedding and we saw things quickly getting out of control. Never regretted it.

Don't waste money on an engagement ring or fancy dress or tux.

Get rid of the truck and get a more practical vehicle.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Put me in the camp of wondering how much exactly you will really get out of selling this bike, and buying another. Bikes depreciate pretty darn quickly, and to buy another always ends up costing more than you think, really who here has ever gone out to buy a bike and managed to keep it less than what they were planning to spend without getting lucky? I think you also need to factor in your time in all of this, in the time i take to put your bike up for sale, wait for no offers, hassle and dicker with people about price, give up and decide to part it out, disassemble the bike, put all individual parts up for sale, hassle on prices for those, ship/sell the parts, it can be a very time consuming process. Time that could have been spent doing other things to help alleviate the debt situation. I would look for things you don't actually want or use anymore and try to get rid of those things first, maybe have a garage/yard sale, people will buy all kinds of crap at those, and its almost free money, because presumably it would be things you don't want or have a use for anyway.

Best of luck to you in whatever route you decide to take, getting out of debt is never easy, but it sounds like you are willing to make the effort which is half the battle.

-Bryce

JB1
    mtbr member
    Stop going out to dinner. You'll save some cash. Keep the bike. You'll need the sanity once you get married.
    Besdies, once you become debt free, you'll start all over again.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    SOLD! Brownie Points are priceless
    Be careful. They have a very short half-life.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Seriously... get rid of the truck. Doesn't matter if 'come out ahead'. As the person above said, you'll rid yourself of your monthly payment, plus exorbitant insurance, gas... etc...

Hell, you could even just buy some slicks and ride the Crackenfail to work everyday. Wouldn't even need to get a new car. Or just spring for a cheapo commuter car or bike. Unless of course you live in CA/TX/or AZ, in which case your manhood may be called into question once you don't have the biggest truck on the block.

gravity fighter
    +5 or whatever on sell/trade in the truck. If you are serious about debt control, you have to go after the big stuff first.

The money you get from selling your bike will be a drop in the bucket compared to the money you won't be spending every month on gas and (assumed) loan payment on a depreciating asset.
    If you own the truck outright or have a REALLY low payment, that might change things, but even if you are a little "upside down" on the truck, you might still be better off in the long run trading down.

Plus, that's a badass bike that should keep you happy for at least a few years. You just need to stay away from the forums when you get the upgradeitis bug!

mtbr member
    Echoing what many have already said - get rid of the truck and save the bike. You might think that would be easy for me to say, but I was in a similar situation just 2 years ago. I had a 4 door Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 that averaged about 19 mpg on the highway. After 2 years of driving 80 miles a day for work, I finally got smart and sold it. I bought a new Subaru outback and never looked back. I spend literally half as much in gas as I used to - that's $200 per month on average. Do I miss the truck? Sure, especially when doing projects around the house but the savings on the payment and gas make such a difference I cannot justify having a large vehicle anymore.

I have also found that when I try to cut back and sell things I really enjoy, I usually end up buying something to replace it later on when the finances are better. The problem with that is you just end up spending double in the long run and get no further ahead than if you had just kept the original item to begin with. The key is to just stop spending and enjoy and use the items you have - at least until you can really afford to do otherwise.

[email protected]
    Keep the truck and the bike, damn hippies.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

ballbuster

+ 14,395

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckUni
    Sell the truck...
    You may take a hit, but at least it won't hit you every month until the end of time. A bit of an owie now saves you a thousand little papercut owies in the future. Pull that band-aid off in one big tug!

Heck, fuel, insurance and maintenance on that beast has to set you back a ton.

Get yourself a beater used Honda Civic or Toyota or something that, pay cash for it, it costs very little to run, and little for insurance, and almost nothing for maintenance.

You think the depreciation is a lot now, think of how much more it will depreciate.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-24-2010 at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think that your theory is not correct. First of all you will sell the frame and components for dumb prices. Thrust me i have bougth enough high end frames and components to know that you can write them of for almost 30- 50% after a few months. Then you go invest some of the money into something "cheaper". The little money you got over you can pay for your debts.

You can better go for a night shift or do some extra work and keep that god damn bike.

Good luck.

Cars Are Evil
    Move out of the 'burbs and closer to work.

Sell the truck.

Work less and ride your bike more.

mtbr member
    Get rid of the truck. You get pregnant then you won't be able to have the truck or buy that future bike. I rode bikes before getting marred and I still ride 15 years later. Started out riding junk and now ride and nice bike. She knows that riding is better than doing the other stupid stuff that some guys do.

Rider and Wrench
    Ideals Thought Process:
    Sell current high end bike for a whole lot of cash and buy a really cheap bike that I will like a bit less that will improve my skilz and all the proceeds go to pay off credit card debt....

Reality:
    Sell current bike frame, fork, wheels, drivetrain etc... while keeping some small bits for new build... end up with lots of frusteration trying to sell awesome /dream parts for pennies on the dollar and purchase lower quality stuff for 70-80% of what you sold the great stuff for. End up with a few hundred dollars to pay stuff down, and in the end you spend double that making whatever "cheap" bike you buy cooler/better/dreamier....

I have "dumbed" down a few bikes in the past to pull some cash out of them, every time I have done this I end up regreting it in the end- the cost difference in selling the high end parts VS buying the medium/lowend stuff never ends up very much of a win-

Before you do anything too rash do a side by side comparison of what you can ACTUALLY sell your bike for and what the replacement bike will cost (including any needed upgrades like tires, grips, seat etc... etc...) and if it will truely make any sense to get rid of your bike-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    My wife and I got in debt quick after getting married. Best thing to do is loose the car payments and cut back on the stuff you don't "need". The only debt I have anymore is my mortgage. My car is a 12 year old accord and my wife's is only slightly better. After we got over "needing" nice cars, and clothes etc... We were able to have a child and survive on one income so that our son doesn't need to go to daycare. Best decision we ever made. Thanks to our other sacrifices I'm able to keep and maintain 2 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes. You're crazy and would hate yourself.

If you're serious about needing the cash sell the bike and look around on craigslist until you find a 3rd hand monocog for under $200.

Bottom line is you never make money selling anything used unless it's too worn out to be of use to you anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not sure what cracks me up the most....the fact that the OP went to a mountain bike forum for financial advise or the responses that are submitted....keep the bike, sell the bike, sell the truck, save the environment, this one is my favorite...sold my used truck and bought a brand new car to save money on gas....

Bottom line.....debt is bad! You figure out how to make it work. Your bike is not nearly worth what you think it is...

Peace & Love
    marriage is ghey

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U
    I'm not sure what cracks me up the most....the fact that the OP went to a mountain bike forum for financial advise or the responses that are submitted....keep the bike, sell the bike, sell the truck, save the environment, this one is my favorite...sold my used truck and bought a brand new car to save money on gas....

Bottom line.....debt is bad! You figure out how to make it work. Your bike is not nearly worth what you think it is...
    I also think it's "interesting" that I'm getting financial advice, save the environment, etc. when all I wanted to know is if I could be as happy on a simple bike versus a nice bike. There's already a financial plan in place to pay off the debt, I simply want to shave some time off said plan. I appreciate all the input but a lot of it has been based on assumptions. My fiance is selling one of her road bikes, so yes, she rides and will allow me to have another NICE bike someday We both make good money so getting out of debt isn't a problem, we simply want to be out in a year versus a few years and are liquidating a bunch of our crap. We aren't going to have children so the financial future is bright Someone also pointed out that my bike will be obsolete pretty soon. Actually, REALLY soon since the new line of Scott 29ers is in the works The truck was a LOT less $$$ than people think it was. It's 5 years old! I also posted at one point that I NEED a powerful truck for other hobbies so people need to stop telling me to sell it and buy a micro machine unless you think you can tow 10,000lbs with a Camry?

I appreciate the different outlooks/opinions and I think I've decided to sell the frame/fork/wheels and go cheaper. I realize they've depreciated to an extent but I bought everything for a deal so won't lose as much as everyone thinks. I'm an avid Ebayer so I know about what everything I have is worth and I can get about 75% of what I paid. Granted, I will eventually re-buy everything in a year or two but I think prolonging the credit card debt for an extra year while keeping the bike would cost much more in the end.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    marriage is ghey
    I concur! Stupid tradition...

mtbr member
    What everyone is trying to tell you is you are crazy!

Why sell what you have now at a loss (I don't care how good of a deal you got) and then in a year spend even more money. You won't be happy with a simple bike because you obviously like nicer things, you are in debt aren't you?

It doesn't matter if you both make good money or not you obviously live outside your means if you have a pile of debt and are looking to maybe pocket $500 bucks from selling your sweet ass bike.

Its starting to be pretty clear why you are in debt in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Personally, I just have a truck payment that's not even 5% of my monthly income, rent and utilities. I do just fine financially. My fiance didn't always make as much as she does now but she landed a good job and now WE want to pay off OUR new debt.

Thanks for assuming, again.

This thread's so far off topic...

Naturally Organic

New question here. Answer

all I wanted to know is if I could be as happy on a simple bike versus a nice bike....
    ...I appreciate the different outlooks/opinions and I think I've decided to sell the frame/fork/wheels and go cheaper.
    None of us can answer how you would feel. There is only one answer to know how you would feel...sell the bike and you will find out (in a week, month, year, decade...). If you choose to keep the bike, you will never know how you would have felt...

You are your own answer...why post?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch
    You won't be happy with a simple bike because you obviously like nicer things,
    simple bikes are ghey

Naturally Organic

Back Story

You provided the back story.

A simple, "Happiness: Rigid SS 29er vs. Sweet 29er HT"

I would have answered nice HT. IMO keep it. I personally do not find pleasure in riding a rigid. Up until recently, I wouldn't have considered HT (but not as my only bike). FWIW, IMO, AFAIK, AFAIC, YMMV...FTW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    keep the bike and have the wife get a second job. problem solved

MoJo Moto
    Quote Originally Posted by ibtravis
    keep the bike and have the wife get a second job. problem solved

that woulde be a "BINGO"
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut
    You'll spend twice that trying to replace it. Get a second job on the weekends or nights. You'll make that much back in no time.
    Get a part time job to help reduce the debt. Get rid of all non-essentials, if that includes bicycles, sell it. If bicycle is essential part of your life-style and that is your only good bike, keep the bike.
    '09 Giant Anthem X, 26er; '14 Lynskey Ridgeline-650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Also agree on getting rid of that big ass truck that probably gets poor gas mileage. Get yourself a more economical used car, less payment, toss that money at the debt, keep the bike, be happy.

mtbr member

lol... have you posted on this forum before? this forum is full of blow hards and know it alls.
    it's fun to do bad things

mtbr member
    Maybe try and ride your bike more and use the truck less. I save over $20 a week in gas using my bike for small trips. Thats a $1000 a year. Try and save money other ways. Drink less beer (a horrible thought I know) buy less coffee and soda etc. It all adds up and pay the credit card off as quickly as you can. Don't sell the bike just to just buy another "lesser" bike.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    lol... have you posted on this forum before? this forum is full of blow hards and know it alls.
    Yup and yup...

And I don't drink beer, coffee, or pop Mostly water or Gatorade.

mtbr member
    Personally, I just have a truck payment that's not even 5% of my monthly income, rent and utilities. I do just fine financially. My fiance didn't always make as much as she does now but she landed a good job and now WE want to pay off OUR new debt.
    It is still HER debt and SHE needs to pay it off. That is part of growing up. Taking on responsibility for what you did and so....

mtbr member

Thanks for assuming, again.

OK, about selling the bike.

Selling the bike (or part of it) makes no sense.
    Not if you plan to buy back another.

Should have bought a singlespeed Inbred in the first place
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

small member
    Jun 2006
    Sell it...
    cheap, heavy, simple bikes are still bikes, and they're still fun to ride.

you know that scene in Rocky II or III ,when Rocky is getting self-satisfied and lazy? he then gets destroyed by Mister T, and he starts training again...

mtbr member

Wow, what a genius.

cvs
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    sounds like you want to try the hard tail ridged single speed thing and yes you will become a better/stronger/aware rider. sell your bike, your wife's bike and get two single speed hardtails and follow her bod all over the mt getting super buff. win win situation from my perspective keeps ya in good shape with low maintenance. just did this and the rides are toooo much fun with the gf. oh and ride the 73 peugeot to work to save extra cash.

Peace & Love
    this forum is full of blow hards and know it alls.
    I agree with broncojd78...those people should get a life

ballbuster

Well... are you getting married or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist
    It is still HER debt and SHE needs to pay it off. That is part of growing up. Taking on responsibility for what you did and so....
    Cause as soon as you start dividing that stuff, you're not.

I'm not sure what cracks me up the most....the fact that the OP went to a mountain bike forum for financial advise or the responses that are submitted...
    Heh.. especially the 29er forum. This place is full of zealots, hippies and weirdos. I should know, cause I'm a hippie weirdo zealot.

To the OP... I suggest going raw vegan. Save lots of dough there.

Rider and Wrench
    I figured this thread needed some almost meaningless pictures to go along with the rest it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy? Will I hate myself if...-overloaded-car-cambodia.jpg  

Am I crazy? Will I hate myself if...-styrolady1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Pedaler of dirt
    [QUOTE=cvs]sounds like you want to try the hard tail ridged single speed thing and yes you will become a better/stronger/aware rider. QUOTE]

Why does this bull***** myth persist? The only thing riding a rigid single speed will teach you is how ***** it is to be stuck with a rigid single speed. Welcome to mtbing from the '70s.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You people are all stupid. The question is what hobby do you have that requires you tow 10,000 lbs??? That is not a dirt bike!

Good luck with what you decide, debt is a huge weight that can be lifted off. With all that weight off, you will be so fast on your steel SS nothing can stop you!!!!
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Keep your bike and keep your truck. Pack your lunch when you can and try not to go out to dinner a lot. Try and see what you can do with out for a while, but selling your bikes to regret it will kill you and you will end up spending more in the long run. Pay your debit off as you can don't kill your selves and enjoy life.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Don't sell the bike, especially if you plan on buying a new, expensive one again in the near future.

ballbuster

yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    Don't sell the bike, especially if you plan on buying a new, expensive one again in the near future.
    I mean, go ahead and sell it if you already have another bike that serves the same function. In reality, turning a perfectly good bike into $1000 isn't going to exactly give you a retirement fund or let your light your Cuban Cigars with $100 bills.

As far as the rigid bike issue goes, I personally love rigid bikes, but I would never want one as my only bike. Riding rigid is fun on buff to moderate trails. I still want my fullsussertwoniner for epic Sierra rides like Downieville or TRT.

... but that's me. I know folks who only ride rigid, and they rock that shiz hard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's just a bike. Sell it.
    Idaho

Gigantic Hawk
    As we say here in Maine, 'bikes before b*tches.'

mtbr member
    Go and put a bullet in your head now and get it over with! You will eventually come to hate yourself for both the engagement and bike sale till the day you die.
    One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So you have debt, and a crazy expensive huge truck.
    That's pretty dumb dude. Sell the truck. If you don't have the money to cover the loan (slaps head) sell the bike.
    Get out of debt. THE TRUCK COUNTS AS DEBT.

Stop paying people to lend you money. It's infinitely stupid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

One Picture is worth a thousand words!

Or in this case thousands of words!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy? Will I hate myself if...-housatonic-railroad-train-wreck-crash.jpg  

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    That's ironic because I'm a locomotive engineer

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I figured this thread needed some almost meaningless pictures to go along with the rest it...
    are you trying to say bikes and cars will cause you grief, but definitely keep the 4*4 for beach driving? I find it a compelling arguement myself.

Rider and Wrench
    That's ironic because I'm a locomotive engineer
    You don't text while your driving the locomotives right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Cause as soon as you start dividing that stuff, you're not.
    Nonsense....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

And you are proud of being a locomotive engineer?

At least you can impress the little kids!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy? Will I hate myself if...-train.jpg  

banned
    To the OP - dude, it's your choice. If you like your truck and you think it's a justified expenditure, don't let these jackholes convince you to sell it. If you want to sell you bike and get back to basics for the purpose of getting out of debt, I say do it and don't look back. Once your bike is gone it will be gone, but if you think you can make the adjustment then I don't see where you can go wrong.

I'm in sort of the same boat with wanting to divest my $5k Yeti 575 because quite frankly I don't ride it, but I know I will be lucky to get 2000-2500 for it and that hurts. BUT it only depreciates more as it hangs in the garage and if I wait 6 more months it may only be worth 1500, and taking what I could get for it today and doing something positive with it (like paying down some debt) would give me some satisfaction in a different way. But again I have friends like the ones on this forum that gasp in horror that I would ever consider selling my bike (that I don't ride) for no reason other than I don't need it.

Sorry to ramble. And really, asking if you should sell your bike on a biking forum is like asking if an Ibis is better than a Turner on the Turner forum...you pretty much can guess what the majority of answers will be from the e-riding mafioso.

banned
    Sep 2007
    My Dad always said... If it's got tits or wheels, it's gonna give you financial trouble.

ballbuster

withdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist
    Nonsense....
    nm... not worth it.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-26-2010 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Are you going to make anywhere near enough to even bother tryin to sell the parts? I doubt it.

V-Shaped Rut
    Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize! I've gone through this myself and believe me when I say eliminating small pleasures and living like a monk while you've got a MASSIVE monkey on your back is the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

Most people's largest bills are:

Rent/Mortgage
    Car + insurance
    Food
    Credit cards

Something like that. So first think about "Can I live in a smaller/cheaper place?" Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Next up, "Do I need a massive truck with $600 a month payments that gets 14mpg and costs 100+ a month in insurance?" The answer is usually no. Others have pointed this out.

Next, "Do I need to eat out as much as I do? Do I need to buy pre-packaged, overpriced junk or can I buy in bulk and cook a day or two at a time?" Answer is usually less.

Going from $1500 a month rent to $1200 and from $600 on car/insurance to $400, and $100 in food is $600 a month. Would $600 a month knock out that debt in a year? Those numbers are completely arbitrary, but you get the idea. Keep your bike, enjoy it. Its probably already depreciated. Look towards your biggest expenses first, worry about the little stuff later if at all.

FWIW- This isn't idle preaching. I went from 2k a month house to 1k a month condo. 10k motorcycle to paid for older motorcycle. 1k a month food to $800. Strangely enough the debt disappeared quickly and now money is accumulating. And I didn't have to sell a bike.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Yup and yup...

And I don't drink beer, coffee, or pop Mostly water or Gatorade.
    You'd have better luck asking your local drug dealer or pimp for financial advice than asking a bunch of rabid mtn biking adrenaline junkies here on eMpTy BeeR

V-Shaped Rut
    ****, didn't read the rest of the thread before posting. Hahahaha! What a mess.

Naturally Organic
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    nm... not worth it.
    I understand what you are saying (with both posts). FWIW, I agree with the essence of what you posted...OMMV...

My wife might say, "What's mine is mine & what's yours is...mine!" But, she would be joking...I think...hopefully...a definite maybe?

Got a suspension fork
    I'm glad to see you thinking of 'getting your financial **** together', but I don't think selling your bike and downgrading will make all that big of a difference. Look for the low hanging fruit. Live on a budget for a while, move into a cheaper place if you can, get rid of any cars with payments and downgrade, if you eat out go to less expensive places, cook at home more, etc.. etc...

Good luck.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No, he's posting on here.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Ummm, no! I don't need to land in Federal prison for the rest of my life

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Since this thread has degenerated into several different discussions at this point, I'll start another one. How does one become a locomotive engineer ? Do you start out driving the miniature train at disney land and work your way up ? Sorry, just kidding. I'm honestly curious. I'm sure its no joke piloting a machine that can take out anything in its path.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    You go to the National Academy of Railroad Sciences in Overland Park, Kansas. Then you get hired as a conductor and after a few years, when your seniority is good enough, you go into the engineer training program for six months and if you fail you lose your job It's definitely a hard job to get and it's WAY more computerized and modern than most people think! Everyone assumes I wear a silly striped hat and overalls but it's not like that at all. I have 3 computer screens with a good 15 gauges to monitor and about 50 buttons/levers/switches. It's easy once you're trained and it becomes second nature but the first time you get behind the controls of a consist of 5 locomotives with 22,000 horsepower and 19,000 tons of coal it's a little bit nerve racking

ballbuster

That's pretty cool

You go to the National Academy of Railroad Sciences in Overland Park, Kansas. Then you get hired as a conductor and after a few years, when your seniority is good enough, you go into the engineer training program for six months and if you fail you lose your job It's definitely a hard job to get and it's WAY more computerized and modern than most people think! Everyone assumes I wear a silly striped hat and overalls but it's not like that at all. I have 3 computer screens with a good 15 gauges to monitor and about 50 buttons/levers/switches. It's easy once you're trained and it becomes second nature but the first time you get behind the controls of a consist of 5 locomotives with 22,000 horsepower and 19,000 tons of coal it's a little bit nerve racking
    I sometimes work over near a switching yard by Dow Chem in Pittsburgh, CA. As I do my work, those guys are switching together and breaking apart chem tank cars all day long. I sometimes shoot video of them for my 3 year old.

ballbuster

Well...

Ummm, no! I don't need to land in Federal prison for the rest of my life
    that would be once place to reduce debt. The shankings are a beeowch, tho.

banned
    Sep 2007

Is it still 25 cars per engine? 22,000 HP on diesel.... bet you get a hell of a deal per gallon on fill ups for off road red dye diesel, buying by the tankerful. Maybe that's why you can afford to keep the diesel truck, eh?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Is it still 25 cars per engine? 22,000 HP on diesel.... bet you get a hell of a deal per gallon on fill ups for off road red dye diesel, buying by the tankerful. Maybe that's why you can afford to keep the diesel truck, eh?
    LOL *No comment*

Each COAL motor is 4400hp and it only takes 2 motors to move the train. If we are supplied with more than 2 motors, there's regulations that dictate how many we can use on certain territories depending on grade and such. On my run you're allowed 3 motors for up to 135 cars and 4 motors for anything over 135 due to a couple really steep climbs. The longest train I've pulled was 167 cars and was 9200 feet long and had 9 motors They very rarely run trains like that because they won't even fit in the yard and need to be cut up in multiple tracks just to park If I remember right, that train was actually 2 trains put together because one of them was involved in an incident so they put an extra 40ish cars on top of an existing train.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    LOL *No comment*

Each COAL motor is 4400hp and it only takes 2 motors to move the train. If we are supplied with more than 2 motors, there's regulations that dictate how many we can use on certain territories depending on grade and such. On my run you're allowed 3 motors for up to 135 cars and 4 motors for anything over 135 due to a couple really steep climbs. The longest train I've pulled was 167 cars and was 9200 feet long and had 9 motors They very rarely run trains like that because they won't even fit in the yard and need to be cut up in multiple tracks just to park If I remember right, that train was actually 2 trains put together because one of them was involved in an incident so they put an extra 40ish cars on top of an existing train.
    Now that is interesting stuff. No matter how old you are, guys just like speed, power, food and guns.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The best idea would be to call of the engagement first as its obviously causing the debt problems. If you own a house or rent then move out and put a camper on the back of the truck. Just eat Pasta with tomatoe sauce. Sell the bike it looks like it has a fork missing and buy a steel rigid which will be much stronger and the fork wont break. Also you should get a job on the passenger trains pushing the trollys selling drinks as they get pretty good tips and dont pay cash on them, I reckon youd get tipped well with your train stories/knowledge.

is buachail foighneach me
    Have you ever gotten to pull a train up or down one of those 'corkscrew' tunnels in the mountains? I think I read that they're in the Rockies somewhere.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Nope. I've only run from KC to Lincoln and KC to Springfield...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    DO IT!!!! You will be thrilled with the cheaper rides you are considering. In the end you will relize that ou traded up. She is happy with you contributing $$$ to the cause especially sacrificing your previous lover and you are happy on your new ride. WIN WIN. It will pay off dividends!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Back to the financial advice.
    Tune into Glen Beck everyday,buy lots of gold, food insurance, guns and seeds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's a fun exercise everyone should do. Add up all your debt and figure out what you're paying in interest each month. That goes for cars, credit cards, student loans, lines of credit, whatever.

I did this 10 years ago and immediately changed everything. The thought of a car payment now makes me cringe in pain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InlawBiker
    Here's a fun exercise everyone should do. Add up all your debt and figure out what you're paying in interest each month. That goes for cars, credit cards, student loans, lines of credit, whatever.

I did this 10 years ago and immediately changed everything. The thought of a car payment now makes me cringe in pain.
    Don't do this!
    If everyone thought and reacted like this, the economy as we know it would be going down the toilet faster than it already is!

Members who have read this thread: 0