Aluminum 29er versus Carbon 29er - BDirect- Mtbr.com

Aluminum 29er versus Carbon 29er - BDirect

Hey everyone! So, I'm having a hell of a time deciding between these two bikes on bikesdirect:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Sub 22lbs* Super Light Hardtails Motobecane FLY 29 XO1 Eagle 1x12, SID RACE Forks SRAM EAGLE 1x12, DT SWISS Tubeless Compatible 29er 12x124mm ThruAxle Mountain Bikes

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Kestrel MXZ Team Carbon 29er SRAM GX EAGLE 1x12 , WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible 29er Mountain Bikes

It's interesting that the aluminum bike is slightly lighter than the carbon. Just wondering what you guys think? Both seem like really good deals. One concern with the aluminum bike is the cabling on the down tube. Is that anything to worry about? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Yeah, tough decision. Either way, you'll have a great bike.
    I prefer the feel of carbon frames over aluminum frames. I like the rigid feel and consistent characteristics. Aluminum frames are good too! They are smoother and more forgiving.

Both bikes have SID forks which is great, but I do prefer the XO over GX. Now this is just a personal preference. The XO is lighter in weight and that's how the aluminum frame is just as light.

At those prices, you can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J_Bone; 07-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Both bikes are a good price.

Having owned both aluminum and carbon bikes I can only make this observation:

I thought I'd love carbon but I didn't. It was a bike from a well known brand but I absolutely hated it, the ride felt dead and lifeless. I had the bike for a few months and just had to get rid of it.

Both materials, if used correctly will make exceptional riding frames, and vice versa if they're not engineered properly. As a complete package the aluminum framed bike is more "complete" IMO.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, fellas. Pretty sure I'm going to go for the FLY (aluminum). Again, really appreciate the advice!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    Aluminum will hold it's integrity for a shorter time and soften up. But people feel it's better since it doesn't show that it's broken down. So you end up with a bent, twisted and distorted frame and it all of a sudden handles bad.
    Wait, what?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Aluminum will hold it's integrity for a shorter time and soften up. But people feel it's better since it doesn't show that it's broken down.
    Explain to me using materials science why and how this happens?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Aluminum will hold it's integrity for a shorter time and soften up. But people feel it's better since it doesn't show that it's broken down. So you end up with a bent, twisted and distorted frame and it all of a sudden handles bad.
    Wow. This is a gem. Prize worthy really.

mtbr member
    Take a nice new aluminum beer can from the fridge and try crushing it on your forehead. It hurts. Now take a used one found under the couch and crush that on your forehead. No probs as the used aluminum has softened up.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Take a nice new aluminum beer can from the fridge and try crushing it on your forehead. It hurts. Now take a used one found under the couch and crush that on your forehead. No probs as the used aluminum has softened up.
    So keeping aluminum cold keeps it from softening up? If I only ride my aluminum fat bike when it's below 40 degrees F, will it be OK?

Big Mac
    Wow.

Out spokin'
    This. But hey LR, why crush the old aluminum can against your forehead when you can pour it over your potatoes like gravy? Mmmm!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    You are wrong and spreading bad info.

I prefer aluminum frames over carbon. Carbon feels dead and lifeless to me too.

I prefer steel over all. I wish I could find a decent full suspension steel frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    tough decision!, hard to make a bad choice. If the hubs and wheels are better I think I'd go with the aluminum. For the price difference you could buy a chinese carbon frame (or two) if something happens to the aluminum one, or if you just get tired of it.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well duh, the one from the fridge still has beer in it and the one from under the couch is empty.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Thanks again for all of the info. I think I'll go with the aluminum, and as JimPacNW mentioned, I can always transfer the components to a new frame in the future. Cheers!

Turns right, slides left
    Simple terms, carbon will be more rigid it's whole life until it cracks. Aluminum will hold it's integrity for a shorter time and soften up. But people feel it's better since it doesn't show that it's broken down. So you end up with a bent, twisted and distorted frame and it all of a sudden handles bad. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Aluminum 29er versus Carbon 29er - BDirect-230114_908223010.jpg

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloane07 View Post
    Thanks again for all of the info. I think I'll go with the aluminum, and as JimPacNW mentioned, I can always transfer the components to a new frame in the future. Cheers!
    Glad you've come to a decision about frame material but please don't end this thread while we're still having fun. Thanks.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would have gone for the Kestrel personally. Kestrel have a long history as a pioneer with carbon fiber and since joining the Fuji family that hasn't changed. They are not at the leading edge anymore but they do know their stuff.

The perfessor
    - I have the BD Ti Fly 29er frame that I've used for years, have run it in a few different configurations (currently, it is my singlespeed and will prolly stay that way!!) and it's great.........an observation: comparing aluminum against carbon, I've found that my training partner's 2013 SC Carbon Tallboy tends to go through pivot bearings (3 sets) much faster that my 2012 SC AL Tallboy (1 set) - I've talked to a few other mechanics and they have apparently seen that same thing pop up with carbon frames over the years......this doesn't make carbon bad (just needs a bit more tweaking) but the aluminum seems to hold together well.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 Hybrid Bike

mtbr member
    I was cruising the bike builder sites and came across deals at Lynskey’s loft. I was surprised to see low prices on assembled mountain bikes. Just a FYI.