Alu Solo-One ?

Printable View

• 09-01-2009
    Armchair Spaceman
    Alu Solo-One ?
    Hey all,
    Noob here about to dip into the 29er world (almost did about a year ago but ended up with a ripper little commuter/cross fixie instead :D ).

My LBS has almost twisted my arm into a KHS solo-one complete (not an SE, one of the alu frames). Anyone have a view on these frames? The dropout arrangement looks and feels a lot more robust than the SE and the stays offer a bit more tyre clearance than the steel version.

Rigid SS or 1x9 is what I have in mind, it'll get a bit of beach work and some not-too-serious XC singletrack fun and maybe toss a set of Big Apples on for rollin' around on sundays with the kids.

I also have a line on a pre-loved Tucson, for which SS would mean a tensioner or an ENO. There's also an SE frameset but the dropout arrangement doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, I'm a 230 pounder and the sliding dropouts on the steelie look pretty bloody flimsy to me,

Not sure which way to jump...??? Any opinions welcome.
  • 09-01-2009
    bobbotron
    A friend of mine has one of those aluminum bikes. It's a decent frame. Simple, really sturdy. I like the fact it does V brakes as well as discs. The parts on his bike aren't holding up that well, but that's hardly the frames fault (rear hub came loose, issues with the crank.)
  • 09-02-2009
    Armchair Spaceman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbotron
    A friend of mine has one of those aluminum bikes. It's a decent frame. Simple, really sturdy. I like the fact it does V brakes as well as discs. The parts on his bike aren't holding up that well, but that's hardly the frames fault (rear hub came loose, issues with the crank.)

Thanks Bobbo, rode the solo again and pulled the trigger on the Tucson with Tora. Now to start trawlin' the 'bay :thumbsup: