mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Alright hope some people are on here need opinions ASAP on new Stache 5

I now have a full suspension 2013 Trek superfly 100AL Elite. (Iím like second or 3rd owner) had the bike bout a year all stock and it works fine. I have a bug for a plus bike. Bike shop I can get a good deal and trade in my old bike for the 2019 Stache 5. Should I keep old FS or will Stache 5 be better? I am riding Ohio trails not too many mountains here lol. There are flat lands, roots, some rock gardens and a few smaller drops. Like 2 foot or less drops What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputydavid301 View Post
    I now have a full suspension 2013 Trek superfly 100AL Elite. (Iím like second or 3rd owner) had the bike bout a year all stock and it works fine. I have a bug for a plus bike. Bike shop I can get a good deal and trade in my old bike for the 2019 Stache 5. Should I keep old FS or will Stache 5 be better? I am riding Ohio trails not too many mountains here lol. There are flat lands, roots, some rock gardens and a few smaller drops. Like 2 foot or less drops What do you guys think?

Fantastic and fun bike. Weak points might be the hubs down the road so keep an eye on your bearing service. Other than that, itís super fun.

Just did an marathon race where the top 3 finisher was on a stache. 81 miles on an extremely rocky course, that destroys most men. The guy used to build bikes for a boutique company and he said he is amazed how this bike ďjust worksĒ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I am thinking of getting the stache and getting rid of full suspension

Moderator Moderator
    If my back wasn't messed up and I needed a full squishy I'd be on a 'Stache.

Its such a fun bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    If my back wasn't messed up and I needed a full squishy I'd be on a 'Stache.

Its such a fun bike to ride.
    So you would vote trade it in? I would think even the stock parts on the stache would be an upgrade from the SLX and xt parts from 2013

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I vote no, trading a full suspension for a hardtail, even if the old bike has just 100mm, is still gonna ride softer than a plus tire bike.

Get a full suspension bike with modern geo and more travel.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I vote no, trading a full suspension for a hardtail, even if the old bike has just 100mm, is still gonna ride softer than a plus tire bike.

Get a full suspension bike with modern geo and more travel.
    Would love the full stashe just an extra grand I donít really wanna spend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have you ridden plus? I'd say keep the old one- you can sell it later if you end up liking plus. If you don't then you have to sell the Stache and buy a FS bike.

They honestly can't be giving you that much on trade in. I bet you could have negotiated that much off without the trade in.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Have you ridden plus? I'd say keep the old one- you can sell it later if you end up liking plus. If you don't then you have to sell the Stache and buy a FS bike.

They honestly can't be giving you that much on trade in. I bet you could have negotiated that much off without the trade in.
    They are giving me 700 for my trade in. I only paid 750 for it last year

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trade it now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Trade it now.
    Lol. Thatís what I was thinking. Around here itís easier to get a cheap FS bike used then a plus bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    They are giving me 700 for my trade in. I only paid 750 for it last year

Yes, I would totally do this. A 13 aluminum FS. Thatís all itís worth around here.

I would totally rock a stache as my only bike.

How rocky is your terrain. Ours is extremely rocky at times - 6 mile rock garden. I have also had one at a buff trail with roots as the only ďtechĒ and it was fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lol. Thatís what I was thinking. Around here itís easier to get a cheap FS bike used then a plus bike

Your taking advice from the forum plus size troll. No matter where, what or how you ride- plus is the cure for it according to him.

Seriously you'd better ride one first- I hated plus tires.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Your taking advice from the forum plus size troll. No matter where, what or how you ride- plus is the cure for it according to him.

Seriously you'd better ride one first- I hated plus tires.
    I rode before, just curious on opinions on only bike just in general

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Stache is a nice bike, just a shame to pay full price when there are so many used on Pinkbike. Trade ins are rarely worthwhile for the buyer, dealers gotta make money coming and going.

Used fs plus bikes exist, Marshall/Hendrix is a good one, $1500 used.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ah I never pay full price lol. The offer 100 off the top. Additional 200 off for Black Friday ( which offer extends for a month) 700 trade in allowance. Plus 30% off anything in the store for a year, free tune up plus any adjustments needed ever.

Moderator Moderator
    So you would vote trade it in? I would think even the stock parts on the stache would be an upgrade from the SLX and xt parts from 2013

sorry for the late reply... Yes I would. Personally, needing a FS bike I'm sold on a Fuel EX, and have been for years but doing test rides and demos the "Stache has been the only bike that I've been tempted to get in it's place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The Stache 5 is an amazing bike. Advantages over FS are less weight, less maintenance, and itís faster over the terrain youíre riding in the midwest. My two cents is get the Stache 7 because if youíre racing or riding a ton youíll want the upgraded brakes and drivetrain. Bike climbs great but the 30T up front will help on those flats. Plus a better fork is gravy. I know itís hard to justify the extra cost up front but I bought a 2018 Stache 5 and finding out those upgrades will cost me at least twice as much now versus just buying what I wanted up front. But Iím new to this so lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ah I never pay full price lol. The offer 100 off the top. Additional 200 off for Black Friday ( which offer extends for a month) 700 trade in allowance. Plus 30% off anything in the store for a year, free tune up plus any adjustments needed ever.

Go! It's time for a new toy!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I've got a Aluminum 2016 Stache 5 (nothing stock anymore) and a carbon 2017 Tallboy. Love both bikes but would easily choose the Stache if I had to keep only 1.

The Stache is seriously fast if you get the tire pressures right (Most of my PRs are on the Stache). It does beat you up on long rides, but most of mine are under 2 hrs.

My terrain is very rocky and mostly short ups and downs. No long climbs or descents around here. I generally limit myself to 3ish foot drops on the Stache. You can do more but the margin for error on a plus tire isn't huge.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk