Allegripis Trails @ Raystown Lake Video- Mtbr.com
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Allegripis Trails @ Raystown Lake Video

Last weekend, a bunch of friends and I hit the Allegripis Trails at Raystown Lake in Huntingdon, PA. It's a roller coaster of a ride, except there are no seatbelts... and you can hit a tree

<object width="400" height="300">

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12603190&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fu llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></object>

from ricky d on Vimeo.

29er content? I'm riding my Matt Chester Mutinyman.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Trail looks like a lot of fun. Were you able to get 3 days of riding without repeating trails or were you repeating a lot? Not sure how many miles are available. Some friends and I have been debating heading out there from NJ but not sure how long we need to ride all the trails.

mtbr member
    Wow those trails are smooth! That looks like a great ride.

Bruh
    I don't think it'd be hard to do all of Raystown in one day - however, it's a ton of fun, and you'll definitely want to get out for at least another day. I think all the trails add up to about 30 miles or so.

The trails there are so much unlike anything else in this region, though - smooth, flowy, and FAST.

MTBing Ninja Assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson
    Wow those trails are smooth! That looks like a great ride.

WERD!

breathing helium
    Nice! Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    raystown is a nice light warmup for state college. i found it boring after a little bit.

go there for a day andf then head up to state college.

i would NOT make raystown the destination from NJ if you have choices. you can do way better. its amazing what some marketing can do for a mediocre place.

jmw
    mtbr member
    is your weiner wearing a camera?
    future nature

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    raystown is a nice light warmup for state college. i found it boring after a little bit.

go there for a day andf then head up to state college.

i would NOT make raystown the destination from NJ if you have choices. you can do way better. its amazing what some marketing can do for a mediocre place.
    Wow, a little rough. I like Raystown and State College and a whole range of places in between. Sometimes a nice flowy place that lets you hop around to your heart's desire is a nice change from wrestlin' rocks all the time.

Raystown trails are unique and fun way to spend a couple of days riding.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Those trails look like a blast. I completely agree with you, sometimes riding a smooth trail that lets you haul ass the whole way is just what you need.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Look's good, Ricky!

It look's so green and lush back there. Such a stark contrast to the sun baked, martian-like surface we have out here.

This looks a lot like the trails I remember
    from my childhood summers, in Pittsburgh.

Nice flow-age!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    def a bit rough. i left underwhelmed and like fast swoopy places as much as the next person but its overrated if people are poining to raystown as a "destination" ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    fast, smmoth, and HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS! how many people have jumped off the trail or wiped into a tree there on that fine grained trail texture. hard to explain.... i found it dangerous at high speed. white knuckle stuff if you push too fast.

Witty McWitterson
    I like the forward facing seatpost mount best. Looks like a fun diversion from your normal rock infested rides.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    fast, smmoth, and HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS! how many people have jumped off the trail or wiped into a tree there on that fine grained trail texture. hard to explain.... i found it dangerous at high speed. white knuckle stuff if you push too fast.
    That's a stupid thing to say. That's why people like going fast, 'cause it's a little scary, risky, and *gasp!* you might fall down!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Nice

Very nice camera. I live close, State College area and hope to ride there soon. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you clearly missed the underlying message of my comment. ill leave you to guess.

Rider and Wrench
    I have only been to Raystown once so far - can't quite say I hit every loop but probably 80-90% of it. I can see where jomissa are comming from as far as it getting "boring" after a bit as quite a bit of it is bench cut machine wide swoopy stuff cut into the sides of a valley- with this said it really is different than most stuff around and the whoops and g-outs can be alot of fun if you get the flow going right it is more about speed and keeping your bike on the trail than attacking rocks roots or extended climbs. A few guys I rode with last night were talking about the same thing- if you closed your eyes and were dropped on one of the Raystown trails you would have a hard time knowing which one it was- fun but not a ton of variety.

For those that have not been there don't discount it as "boring" it is a blast and worth a day or two for most riders- if you want it just like most of the rocky knar around the area then this may not be the place-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Apr 2007
    That dingleberry was hanging on for dear life.

Nice video.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Wow, those look great! I need to get there this summer for sure. Great video!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Recovering
    Love Raystown. Very different from the typical trails we ride around here. It's like one big pump track, and if you're not afraid of getting some air it is just non-stop fun.

My vid from last year is here:

I wouldn't classify it as any more dangerous than any other trail, but if you push the speed you better be comfortable in the air as those "dips" can launch you pretty nicely. If you like plodding along on slow, rocky trails and picking your way through rock gardens, it'll be pretty boring. I spend plenty of time riding slow, rocky trails, and really loved opening it up and hauling through Raystown. Definitely worth the trip from NYC.

Doug mentioned that Ben Cruz from WTB made a pass in the Transylvania Epic at Raystown by gapping some of the trail doubles. Pretty awesome to ride XC trails that lend themselves to that kind of fun...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Members who have read this thread: 0