All Enablers Enter Here- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

All Enablers Enter Here

I currently ride a salsa El Mariachi with the rigid fork and SS. I really like the bike except for the ebb. It creaks like crazy. I am considering dumping the bike because of the constant fiddling that I have to do on the ebb. Here are some of my thoughts on a new frame. I want vertical sliding dropouts, steel or titanium, I'm 225lbs, I want to be able to ride 2.4 RR in the rear, SS 29er, and a rigid fork. I would like a good quality frame, this is my only bike and I'm a little overweight, so I don't want it to break.

Here are some of the frames I've considered:

Monocog Flight-Hard to find frameset and rear looks tight with a 2.4RR

Voodoo Dumbala-don't know about tire clearance and frame quality

Lynskey Ridgeline-don't know about clearance and it is a lot of money

Blackbuck-I know its not a slider but I'd be willing to try based on the promise of the ebb not creaking. I also like that it is different.

Missfit Dissent: Expensive for steel looks like quality

Custom- Alot of money for steel, could have a lynskey.

Let me know if you have any experience with the above bikes and from your experience what would be the pro's and con's of each? Also other suggestions are welcome. I think I've looked at every bike available.
    Last edited by BCool; 09-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Vassago Jabberwocky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    On One Inbred 29er or Surly Karate Monkey? Both good quality, cheap, sliding dropout, and the Surly will surely swallow any tire you throw at it.

Life is Go0d!
    Check my thread "Redline Flight action shots" (single speed forum)for my take. I weigh about the same. The 2.4 would be too tight in the rear, unless, you did not ride in wet conditions. Maybe sacrifice a little on the width in the rear? Going down one size on the rear is not gonna be that noticeable. Great sliders and a lifetime warranty. My picture thread should tell you a lot.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was really tempted by the Jabberwocky yesterday, but it doesn't have the verticle sliding dropouts.

Life is Go0d!
    The Flights are sold through SBS (Seattle Bike Supply) any LBS, should be able to get you the frame, which comes with the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Check my thread "Redline Flight action shots" (single speed forum)for my take. I weigh about the same. The 2.4 would be too tight in the rear, unless, you did not ride in wet conditions. Maybe sacrifice a little on the width in the rear? Going down one size on the rear is not gonna be that noticeable. Great sliders and a lifetime warranty. My picture thread should tell you a lot.
    you don't know a place to just get the frameset by chance do you?

you answered my question above, has any body seen one of the green ones still available?

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCool
    you don't know a place to just get the frameset by chance do you?
    Greenfish adventure sports (online) and a few others, I will do some diggin.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I've got a Blackbuck. It's a heavy frame, but it's a ton of fun and one of the best deals out there, even before you consider it's uniqueness.

Also, obviously, my EBB is silent, but I've only got about 4 months on the frame, always in good conditions. I've seen a picture with a 2.4 RR in the rear, it looked tight, but it fit, according to the owner, without any issues.

Life is Go0d!
    Beyondbikes.com Sold the frame only, they did last year I know.

Old, stale, negative
    If you plan on riding for years to come, go Ti. Lasts forever and you can sell it for big value if you want to move on. Just got my first Ti rig and will never look back. Way worth it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    I've got a Blackbuck. It's a heavy frame, but it's a ton of fun and one of the best deals out there, even before you consider it's uniqueness.

Also, obviously, my EBB is silent, but I've only got about 4 months on the frame, always in good conditions. I've seen a picture with a 2.4 RR in the rear, it looked tight, but it fit, according to the owner, without any issues.
    So what is the weight on the blackbuck frame? I can't seem to find a #, just comments that it is "heavy." Thanks

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I didn't weigh mine before building it up, but I'm fairly certain I saw "just under 5 lbs" as the quoted number. I'll do some checking and come back if I find anything more concrete.

Rider and Wrench
    I currently ride an El Mariachi (along with a friend with 2) While I don't love the EBB I do love the rest of the bike, it offers a ride that few other 29er frames I have tried don't (not that I have ridden everything by any means...) it climbs well and offers a forgiving ride without too much slop- I understand your frustration but there are a lot of El Mariachi riders who don't have any issues-

Any way what have you tried to make the EBB stop creaking? Is is a reoccurring thing right after you clean it and put it back together? Just curious because I have had one instance in a 4-5 month period, once I cleaned it it has been quiet for a while. So maybe you can at least get the BB silent while you search for a new ride... if you have not already try searching for installing an ECC BB there are some unique ideas for sure-

Good luck either way you go.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Here's the post I was thinking about.

Apparently it's over 5 pounds.
    Last edited by ShadowsCast; 09-09-2009 at 08:21 PM.

poser Administrator
    fwiw after I packed the EBB on my El Mar, pumping it in to all the holes like they were grease fittings I have gone at least a year without a creak and I am at your weight and ride it rigid and SS. Give it a try before you abandon it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

DG5
    mtbr member
    I have put a summers worth of miles on a Voodoo Dambala and I think it is a great frame that fits all your requirements. The biggest tire I have tried was a 2.2 , but it had tons of room and I think it could clear a 2.4 . I hav not yet run it SS , but I have ridden it with a rigid fork and with a suspension fork. I am only 185 lbs , but it feels very stiff to me. MUCH stiffer than the Gunnar I had prior to this ( I loved that frame though). I think you would like it. FWIW
    I love my bike.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BCool
    I currently ride a salsa El Mariachi with the rigid fork and SS. I really like the bike except for the ebb. It creaks like crazy. I am considering dumping the bike because of the constant fiddling that I have to do on the ebb.
    Don't spend any money you don't have to. Make do with what you have.

Sand the inside of the EBB a bit and get some tin snips and cut yourself a piece of aluminum from a soda can (beer only comes in longnecks) and wrap it around the EBB before sliding it in.

Voila.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    How bout a Siren John Henry?

Domestic-made, light for its type, with paragon sliders and comes in tons of sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    Don't spend any money you don't have to. Make do with what you have.

Sand the inside of the EBB a bit and get some tin snips and cut yourself a piece of aluminum from a soda can (beer only comes in longnecks) and wrap it around the EBB before sliding it in.

Voila.
    apparently you have never had a dales

op: try some fixes before you abandon that frame. it should be fixable.

Sep 2009
    if you like the geo of your bike, work it out, sometimes good advice is found here.

i've a blackbuck that's silent and a karate monkey with sliders, they both roll up and down hills with or without me just fine too.

my blackbuck was about 5.5 pounds, i've still managed to build it light though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Vassago! You can get a tensioner for the geared version too if that is your fancy.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yzinger
    if you like the geo of your bike, work it out, sometimes good advice is found here.

i've a blackbuck that's silent and a karate monkey with sliders, they both roll up and down hills with or without me just fine too.

my blackbuck was about 5.5 pounds, i've still managed to build it light though.
    OT, but how light? And what fork have you got on there?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am very willing to also try any ebb creak stopping ideas, if anybody has some please let me know. Thanks for your help everyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    +1 on the John Henry

Members who have read this thread: 0