Alchemy Arktos 29ST- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Alchemy Arktos 29ST

As there is no Alchemy bikes manufacturers thread I figured I'd get something rolling here.

I'm looking around, deciding what my next ride will be and the Arktos 29ST has caught my eye.

https://alchemybicycles.com/product/arktos-29-st_gray/

https://alchemybicycles.com/product/arktos-29st-blue/

The issue so far, as they are still quite new there is not a lot of information about such as ride reports or reviews etc.

Bike Mag just released their 'Mid travel 29er - 2019 Bible of Bikes Tests' and they seemed to like the 29ST (note: the rear travel is actually 120mm and not 130mm, confirmed by Joel @ Alchemy).

https://www.bikemag.com/2019-bible-t...emy-arktos-29/

So...

- Who's actually got one?
    - Who's ridden one and what did you think, how did it compare to other bikes you know?
    - Who's seen one up close and personal?
    - Who's got some photos and what do the two colour options look like in the flesh?

Edit: I was asked in a PM if I have any connection with Alchemy bikes? No (but if they want to do me a deal ) the Arktos just seems like a bike I'd like to ride.
    Last edited by BikeThreads; 06-16-2019 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Talking with Alchemy:

- The Arktos 29ST is 120mm rear, 140mm front (and not 130mm as the Bike Mag review mentions)
    - Frames weigh 6.83lbs
    - A complete XO1 build comes in at 28.5lbs

mtbr member
    As an interesting side note i think the “sine” suspension is a variation of the original “switch” suspension Yeti used before moving to “switch infinity”. I believe yeti only had a three year exclusive on the original technology.

Anyone know for sure? David Earle is designer of both suspension systems and if true i am surprised its not more widely discussed.

mtbr member
    There have a few Alchemy threads over the past few years. Not many posts overall. You might try to find them and link to them in this thread.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am also interested in this bike----I have trouble with really long reaches and this is 454 in a large which could be good. Also the pricing is really good and you get a Factory Fox 36 and DPX2---for a similar non factory build to Pivot and you save about $1000.

aka bOb
    The stack height is really high for some reason??

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Remember I believe this is the same frame as their long travel 29er-----tlook at the specs and you will see this----so the stack if more mountain oriented.

But for those of us with really long legs we tend to need more stack or a higher rise-our seats are way up so with low stack we are leaned over more than I want---part of why I am interested in the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've been looking at the longer travel version too, the long seat tube on the XL and the superboost is a bit of a bummer as I would need to build another wheel but apart from that it looks good.

No XL frames in stock at the minute, still waiting on them getting back to me for an expected delivery date.

Strange how the low end build comes with a 150 dropper and the three higher models come with only a 125.

This bike and the new Hightower are front runners for me (whenever the latter is released)

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Remember I believe this is the same frame as their long travel 29er-----tlook at the specs and you will see this----so the stack if more mountain oriented.

But for those of us with really long legs we tend to need more stack or a higher rise-our seats are way up so with low stack we are leaned over more than I want---part of why I am interested in the bike.
    Agreed and after looking at it again the stack on their medium is pretty close to my Offering in the same size but their large get's further apart which is good for you longer legged chaps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered one w/ the XO1 build this morning. This will be my first 29er.

mtbr member
    Which color did you end up going with?

Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered one w/ the XO1 build this morning. This will be my first 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    Which color did you end up going with?
    I ended up going with gray, which looks more like a off white with blue lettering.

mtbr member
    Any updates? Initial impressions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Got to take out this weekend on a mixture of terrain, flowy single track, technical rock short downhills, and smooth/rocky uphills. The bike excelled in all areas and couldn't be happier.

I mostly ride park/downhill... my previous trail bike is 2014 Commencal Meta AM v3 (150mm front/rear & 275 wheels).

This was my first 29er. I was surprised how nimble the bike is. I feel it's more playful than the commencals I was on. The bike pedals extremely well, never had to lockout the rear suspension, kept it in open the entire time. Couldn't really feel any bobbing on uphills or flats (27% sag setting), rear track well too. I never rode VPP or DW-Link bikes, so I cannot compare how it performs against them. The 75.5 STA is nice, compared to my previous bike. It couldn't even tell how slack front end was when climbing, compare with my other bike, weighting the front was always problem on steep climbs. The bike defiantly shines going doing hill and wants to be pushed. Rear suspension felt really good.. I need to be careful, because geos let's you attack like you are on a bigger bike w/ more suspension vs 120mm bike. The bike does feel like you are sitting higher when seated, I assuming that is because of the 75.5 STA... I thought had more clearance between the cranks and ground, so I had few pedal strikes climbing and/or coming out of turning when pedaling in rocky sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Got to take out this weekend on a mixture of terrain, flowy single track, technical rock short downhills, and smooth/rocky uphills. The bike excelled in all areas and couldn't be happier.

I mostly ride park/downhill... my previous trail bike is 2014 Commencal Meta AM v3 (150mm front/rear & 275 wheels).

This was my first 29er. I was surprise how nimble the bike is. I feel it more playful than the commencals I was on. The bike pedals extremely well, never had to lockout the rear suspension, kept in open the entire time. Couldn't really feel any bobbing on uphills or flats (27% sag setting), rear track well too. I never rode VPP or DW-Link bikes, so I cannot compare how it performs against them. The 75.5 STA is nice, compare to my previous bike. It couldn't even tell how slack front end was when climbing, compare with my other bike, weighting the front was always problem on steep climbs. The bike defiantly shines going doing hill and wants to be push. Rear suspension felt really good.. I need to be care, because geos let's you attack like you are on a bigger bike w/ more suspension vs 120mm bike. The bike does feel like you are sitting higher when seated, I assuming that is because of the 75.5 STA... I thought had more clearance between the cranks and ground, so I had few pedal strikes climbing and/or coming out of turning when pedaling in rocky sections.
    Cool! Keep posting updates!

mtbr member

The bike does feel like you are sitting higher when seated, I assuming that is because of the 75.5 STA... I thought had more clearance between the cranks and ground, so I had few pedal strikes climbing and/or coming out of turning when pedaling in rocky sections.
    The BB height is listed at 13.23" - standard fare in today's bikes - I would prefer 13.5" Is there any chance you could switch out to 170 mm cranks and see if you get an improvement?

Bike looks fantastic - enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member
    Thanks dc40! This bike looks like it is everything I am looking for in a short travel daily go to bike. I am seriously contemplating it!

Jed Peters
    Naya....I LOVE my alchemy. Big fan.. The bike rides incredibly; and in comparison to many other bikes of the same exact type, it's the best I've owned/ridden.

I highly recommend it.

mtbrer
    I’ve been emailing Joe at Arktos to set up a demo on home trails. My schedule and Alchemy’s won’t come together for a month or so. I’m itching to ride one of these!

Here’s a thought. The ST uses the same front and rear triangle as the 140mm Arktos, right? Different shock and, presumably at least one different link... so it I were to buy an ST, which I’m thinking would be the right bike for my home trails, what would I need to convert it to a 160/140 full Arktos for, say, a trip to Moab?

Does the Fox 36 still use spacers for travel adjustment, or would it need an air shaft?

Has anyone looked in to the differences in links/ shock?
    Enquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I’ve been emailing Joe at Arktos to set up a demo on home trails. My schedule and Alchemy’s won’t come together for a month or so. I’m itching to ride one of these!

Here’s a thought. The ST uses the same front and rear triangle as the 140mm Arktos, right? Different shock and, presumably at least one different link... so it I were to buy an ST, which I’m thinking would be the right bike for my home trails, what would I need to convert it to a 160/140 full Arktos for, say, a trip to Moab?

Does the Fox 36 still use spacers for travel adjustment, or would it need an air shaft?

Has anyone looked in to the differences in links/ shock?
    Enquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I asked the similar questions, but didn't go as deep. Frame and swingarm same, they indicated linkage and shock would need to be changed, because the ST rear shock is tuned for 120mm. I didn't ask about the front fork. Bikeco.com is another good POC, as they have specific custom shock tunes for Arktos and I believe are Cody Kelly sponsor.

IMO, how capable the ST, you probably don't need to upgrade to 160/140.

Jed Peters
    The BikeCo tune for the rear shock is CRAZY good. Makes the rear end work really well. It's a pretty sweet setup....

mtbrer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man View Post
    The BikeCo tune for the rear shock is CRAZY good. Makes the rear end work really well. It's a pretty sweet setup....
    Have you ridden the bike with stock tune?
    --Reamer

Jed Peters
    Have you ridden the bike with stock tune?
    I have ridden it with the stock tune. While good; it's at the limits of what they can do for a shock that is for "everyone" if you catch my drift.

I filled out a long form, had an interview, and I have to say--they nailed the tune. I don't know how, but they did.

mtbrer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man View Post
    I have ridden it with the stock tune. While good; it's at the limits of what they can do for a shock that is for "everyone" if you catch my drift.

I filled out a long form, had an interview, and I have to say--they nailed the tune. I don't know how, but they did.
    Thanks. Good to know.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    I ended up copying you. I should have it next week.

I ended up going with gray, which looks more like a off white with blue lettering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ended up copying you. I should have it next week.
    Nice, what build did you ended up going with. I see now they have the XT 12 speed as an option.

mtbr member
    I don't really have anything to compare it to, I bought a large Arktos ST with the XT build in July as a return to mountain biking after a 3.5 year hiatus.

That being said, it beats the hell out of what I remember 29ers and mountain bikes in general being like. I was easily riding things I wouldn't have considered on my old SC superlight 29. I like that you get factory level suspension on all builds, but would've preferred a 150mm dropper. I think the reason they spec a 125 is due to the longer seat tube mast above the top tube. I have a 34" inseam with a short torso and could easily make a 150mm work, but someone who's the same height with a different build might not be able to get the seat low enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    I am doing a self build. Going with full XTR except XT SB cranks, Pike Ultimate, Bike Yoke Dropper and 1530g DT 240 carbon wheelset.

Light grey frame, silver Pike and XTR shouldn’t be hard on the eyes. Certainly different than all the murdered out bikes out there. I am hoping for a lightweight versatile build that I can switch out tires depending on the situation.

mtbr member
    Let’s see it! This thread needs pics. The alchemy builds are a step above most other companies for sure. Factory DPX2 and 36 fork and a non disposable wheelset at a solid price

Quote Originally Posted by BikinAggie View Post
    I don't really have anything to compare it to, I bought a large Arktos ST with the XT build in July as a return to mountain biking after a 3.5 year hiatus.

That being said, it beats the hell out of what I remember 29ers and mountain bikes in general being like. I was easily riding things I wouldn't have considered on my old SC superlight 29. I like that you get factory level suspension on all builds, but would've preferred a 150mm dropper. I think the reason they spec a 125 is due to the longer seat tube mast above the top tube. I have a 34" inseam with a short torso and could easily make a 150mm work, but someone who's the same height with a different build might not be able to get the seat low enough.

mtbr member
    I don't stop to take photos too often, so I only have a few:

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-2gguujel.jpg

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-arkmb0ol.jpg

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-kojwirtl.jpg

I haven't done anything to it yet expect buy some clear film to put over most of the frame. I've tried a few different grips in search of a solution for my hands hurting on long, rough downhills, but haven't found anything satisfactory yet.

I don't think I'll change anything beyond the seat and maybe spring for a one up carbon bar if ESI chunky silicone grips don't solve the hand problems. I might get a 54T ratchet for the rear hub.
    Last edited by BikinAggie; 09-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Shartacular Spectacular
    I don't stop to take photos too often, so I only have a few:

I haven't done anything to it yet expect buy some clear film to put over most of the frame. I've tried a few different grips in search of a solution for my hands hurting on long, rough downhills, but haven't found anything satisfactory yet.

I don't think I'll change anything beyond the seat and maybe spring for a one up carbon bar if ESI chunky silicone grips don't solve the hand problems. I might get a 54T ratchet for the rear hub.
    Mght just be me, but pics aren’t showing up.
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    I used [img] tags like I'm used to on most forums, seems MTBR likes it more when I attach it with a direct link. Should be all good now.

Just to keep adding to the thread, I bought in straight from Alchemy HQ, which is about 15 minutes from my house. They set the brakes up moto style for me and were running a nice discount on 11spd XT bikes.

mtbrer
    Can anyone that has, or had ridden, a 29ST compare to other bikes for points of reference?

BikinAggie, I know you said you’re coming off a Superlight 29. The Arktos is “better” across the board?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

mtbr member
    Can anyone that has, or had ridden, a 29ST compare to other bikes for points of reference?

BikinAggie, I know you said you’re coming off a Superlight 29. The Arktos is “better” across the board?
    The superlight was better at really tight turns, that's about it. I can climb better with the Arktos because I have more traction due to tires and the suspension, it just rolls forward and grips. Descending isn't even a fair comparison, 3* slacker head angle, a 50mm vs 100mm stem, more and better damped suspension travel, chunkier tires on wider rims, a much stiffer frame and wheelset. The arktos is just way more fun to ride. I think my 1st or 2nd ride I was going over features I wouldn't have even tried on the Superlight because I'd have been OTB, and now that I'm used to it, I can climb things on the Arktos that would've intimidated me on the superlight. I bet I'd be having similar fun on a yeti SB130, revel rascal, GG trail pistol, SC hightower, etc. There are tons of really fun, beefy mid travel 29ers out there right now!

I ended up on the Arktos because the Bike mag review brought it to my attention, it was specced the way I wanted with little to no compromises for the money, and I can go to Alchemy over lunch from my office. The biggest problem I have now is do I want to go for a mountain bike ride on great trails, or go for a motorcycle ride on great roads.

mtbrer

Alchemy Arktos 29ST

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I’m pretty interested in purchasing one of these bikes. But there’s a little voice nagging at me about buying a bike sight unseen and without a chance to demo.

Then I realized... I’ve been MTBing since 1988 and I’ve never demoed a bike before buying. Crazy, right?

My first Stumpjumper, in 1988 ,I acquired used as payment for rent.
    1997 a new SC Heckler as I liked the simple design. Followed by a Superlight when the Heckler was stolen... brief time on a Ventana before going with a SC Tallboy LT in 2012. I did demo a Tallboy in 2010 or 11 when they came out, bought the Tallboy LT sight unseen.

Over 30 years of MTBing - never a demo before buying... Since then I’ve demoed a few bikes for fun; the last couple, a Trail 429 & a Ripmo, opened my eyes a little to modern bike geo. Maybe planted the new-bikeitis seed.

Now wanting this 29ST... please feel free to talk me out of it.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Never demo before with my last 4 bike purchases and all where unseen via online. All purchases have been based on reviews. I never had an issue or regrets.

The bike is super capable and fun to ride. You cannot beat the suspension specs, lifetime warranty, and Alchemy 's customer support and their responsiveness is superb from my experience.

pull the trigger!

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-img_0652.jpg

mtbr member
    Alchemy Arktos 29ST-img_3220.jpg

Received this today. 1st ride review:

"Climbs like a goat"
    "Climbs better than me"
    "Corners on rails"
    "Accelerates like a scalded monkey"
    "Velco-like traction on technical climbs"
    "poppy"
    "likes to get rowdy"
    "incredible mid-stroke support"
    "feels like a hover bike"
    "its quiet"
    "feels like it has more travel than it does"

Now I need unbox my new frame and get the build started.....

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	1277103

"Climbs like a goat"
    "Climbs better than me"
    "Corners on rails"
    "poppy"
    "likes to get rowdy"
    "its quiet"

You forgot "pedals for you".

Haha good stuff...Anyone ever see an Arktos running RockShox?

mtbr member
    Dammit, missed one. If I had a better memory I could leverage the best terms from Mountain Bike Action from 1994 - Present.

mtbrer

Alchemy Arktos 29ST

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	1277103

"Climbs like a goat"
    "Climbs better than me"
    "Corners on rails"
    "poppy"
    "likes to get rowdy"
    "its quiet"

Man! That is a sweet lookin’ box! It looks fast just sitting still. I’ll bet it’s vertically stiff and literally compliant!

I totally love that classic cardboard color, and the graphics are over the top.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I cant wait to hear your feedback.... just sold my ripmo and have an hard Time to choose between new ripley and this arktos ST

mtbr member
    I was in the same position as you looking at the Artkos, Ripley, Tallboy and Rascal.

I am still waiting for my fork but I currently have my XL Arktos build up with a placeholder longer travel coil fork. Without riding the bike I can say the following:

My XL frame weighed in at 7.1lbs. .25lbs of the weight is due to the Arktos coming with a real shock (DPX2) vs the DPS that come on the Ripley and Tallboy. The little extra frame weight compared to my old Ripley LS is welcomed as the Alchemy feels pretty robust in a way that it will better withstand a little abuse. Ibis's are really light weight but from my personal experience shows that a carbon layup that light sacrifices a little in brute durability. Sounds like the Arktos doesn't give up anything on the climbs but is more capable going down. If this ends up being the case I think I will end up being very happy.

My Artktos with mostly XTR+Pike Ultimate build will be right at 28lbs.

I watched the Bible of Bike test on the Ripley, Arktos and Rascal many times and am hopeful I made the right decision.

Other things, Alchemy's complete bike pricing seems much better than their competitors. Plus I think they are offering a Evoc bike case for free with complete builds right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Can not wait to hear your fisrt ride review as my last 3 Bike was a ripley LS an evil folowing and a Ripmo. My main concern are about to loose playfulnest and popiness and get a slower Bike for going up.

mtbr member

Glamor Shots

A few Glamor Shots. Fresh off the stand, have not really even sat on the thing yet. Came out at 28.3lbs fully built, 27.6lbs without the pedals.

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-side.jpg
    Alchemy Arktos 29ST-brake.jpg
    Alchemy Arktos 29ST-rear.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alchemy Arktos 29ST-rear.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Oshittt sick Bike!!! I’m in love 😍

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice!!!

mtbrer
    Sweet!
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    May 2016
    The Rascal is unreal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Bummer there isn't a water bottle mount on the top of the down tube.

So Cal Slayin'
    I would be all over this bike if it wasn't super boost... Really don't feel like buying a new hub and rebuilding a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Just got mine last week. Haven’t gotten a chance to ride it yet, as I was lucky enough to have the World Cup races near me this past weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alchemy Arktos 29ST-alchemy-arktos-29-st.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    I would be all over this bike if it wasn't super boost... Really don't feel like buying a new hub and rebuilding a wheelset.
    Problem solved w/ superboost adapter: https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...-_rear_-_j1167

So Cal Slayin'
    ^^ Not into that idea..

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by speedi77racer View Post
    Can not wait to hear your fisrt ride review as my last 3 Bike was a ripley LS an evil folowing and a Ripmo. My main concern are about to loose playfulnest and popiness and get a slower Bike for going up.
    The bike is very playful. It felt good in the air on a couple medium size hits. It pedals extermely well climbing... I couldn't feel any energy loss/transfer and wheel tracks well in technical rocky climbs. Bible of Bike Test said it was one best climbers of all bikes tested.

mtbr member
    I was lucky to already have a Super Boost wheel but I cast a large net when shopping for my next bike. I was ready to go back to boost if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post

mtbr member
    I did a shakedown ride around my neighboorhood to make sure my build wasn't infected by any shoddy craftsmanship. About 1,500' up and down.

First thing, I love the geometry and how the thing handles. It climbs in a crazy efficient manner. My last bike felt like it wanted to go straight, this one feels like it wants to carve. I also don't see myself ever using the switch on the rear shock. I have the LSC open and may leave it there, we will see. If Alchemy had the market budget that Santa Cruz and Ibis's does everybody would be riding one. It is that good.

The XTR drivetrain is out of this world. I went from XT Di2 and have ridden a lot of Eagle on rental bikes and the XTR is unreal. Too bad more new bike builds are going with GX Eagle vs. XT 12sp...

The Pike Ultimate is the first air sprung fork I have not hated. I was planning to do the Push HC97 upgrade because I expected it to suck but I will hold off for now until I put it through some bigger rides. I still have a lot of experimenting with HSC, LSC, PSI and tokens, etc, etc.

I have not test ridden my last 17 bike purchases since 1998. I have made some mistakes along the way but not on this one. A++

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks Bigdrunk! Feel free to add you comments after your next ride. I love this kind of review! cheers

mtbr member
    "bigdrunk": is the 13.2" BB a non-issue (pedal strikes)? did you go with 170mm cranks? thanks!

mtbr member
    With how low all the BB’s are now days pedal strikes are going to be an issue where I ride. Going with 170mm cranks will help with this frame for sure, but I will still need to pay attention to what I am doing to minimize strikes.

Nothing will be worse than my 2016 Ripley LS 325mm BB w/175mm cranks.

IMHO 13.5” BB is best for where I ride

Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    "bigdrunk": is the 13.2" BB a non-issue (pedal strikes)? did you go with 170mm cranks? thanks!

mtbrer
    I’ve got an XL on order!
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Which one did you go with?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    On my side i will pull the trigger on a medium one !!!!! Cheers!

mtbr member
    You guys going complete builds or frame only?

mtbrer

Alchemy Arktos 29ST

Which one did you go with?
    Kinda hard to say. Ordered it from The Bike Company. There are no XL 29 STs available, so Alchemy offered to swap shock and links from a grey and red 29 frame. So it will be a grey/red 29 ST. (Would have loved the vanilla, but also not available.)

Mostly GX build, XTR brakes, X01 cranks w/30t ring.
    Deleted/credited for cassette, seat post, seat, grips. Will use eThirteen 9-50 cassette, 9point8 dropper, Selle Italia SLR saddle, and ESI grips - parts I already have and am happy to put on the new ride.

I foresee updating bar and stem for fit and weight, and an I9 Hydra & carbon rim wheel set is in its future.

XO AXS derailleur and shifter if I can find a set for a reasonable (??) price down the road. At which point only the chain would be GX.
    --Reamer

mtbrer
    You guys going complete builds or frame only?
    Complete with subs/deletions. I looked at frame only and it would have been much more $$ to arrive at what I wanted.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    On my side ....i just sold a kidney to order a vanilla Arktos 29 with the ST link and shock and i expect to build with xx1 axs and Enve wheelset and cockpit

mtbr member
    Just had mine out again. I LOVE it. It does everything so freaking well. The Arktos is a sleeper. All I can say is if you think the geometry works for you, don't sweat ordering one without riding.

mtbr member
    Gonna be nice! I really like the vanilla color. I wonder how much the links cost to convert to 140mm

On my side ....i just sold a kidney to order a vanilla Arktos 29 with the ST link and shock and i expect to build with xx1 axs and Enve wheelset and cockpit

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hummm i would guess about 150-200$.

mtbrer

Alchemy Arktos 29ST

Gonna be nice! I really like the vanilla color. I wonder how much the links cost to convert to 140mm
    I believe it’s links and shock.

But wondering if possible to raise the BB a ¼” with different link or shock stroke.
    --Reamer

mtbrer
    Yeah — that vanilla and brown is really sweet. If that had been available I’d have been all over it.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    That could be worth a phone call to Alchemy. The low BB’s on all the new bikes isn’t the best thing for the riding in my area. Same i-2-i measurement on both the 140mm and 120mm so it should just be a matter of new link(s).

I believe it’s links and shock.

But wondering if possible to raise the BB a ¼” with different link or shock stroke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That could be worth a phone call to Alchemy. The low BB’s on all the new bikes isn’t the best thing for the riding in my area. Same i-2-i measurement on both the 140mm and 120mm so it should just be a matter of new link(s).
    The travel comes from the stroke. Both run common strokes so I doubt there is a spacer you can just remove.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    They have specific shock tunes for 140 vs 120. After having some seat time on the bike, pedal strikes have not been an issue for me anymore riding in PA.

mtbrer
    After having some seat time on the bike, pedal strikes have not been an issue for me anymore riding in PA.
    Good to know!
    --Reamer

mtbrer
    Can anyone tell me what rear thru-axle these bikes come with? Is it the DT Swiss?

Also, thoughts on real-world rear tire clearance? How much extra room back there with the 2.4? Room for a bigger tire? I've been running Maxxis and/or Bontrager 29x2.6 on my current bike... Fairly dry/clean climate.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    I don't know the brand of the rear thru axle, you just tighten it with a 5mm allen key.

There is plenty of room on each side of the 2.4" dhr. I think a 2.6" would fit. I can hit it with some calipers tomorrow.

I rode mine at Apex Park in Golden, CO this past weekend. The upper part of the trail was super blown out with tons of holes and braking bumps, and the lower portion is very chunky with rocks everywhere.

No issues making it down anything with total confidence, it's nuts how easy it feels to ride things I wouldn't have attempted in the past on older bikes.

mtbrer
    I don't know the brand of the rear thru axle, you just tighten it with a 5mm allen key.

There is plenty of room on each side of the 2.4" dhr. I think a 2.6" would fit. I can hit it with some calipers tomorrow.

I rode mine at Apex Park in Golden, CO this past weekend. The upper part of the trail was super blown out with tons of holes and braking bumps, and the lower portion is very chunky with rocks everywhere.

No issues making it down anything with total confidence, it's nuts how easy it feels to ride things I wouldn't have attempted in the past on older bikes.
    Thanks for the info.

My current bike has the DT Swiss axle which sticks out a bit more than than I like. Sounds like the Arktos rear axle is basically flush.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hey all! I am typically a lurker here. I think this is my second time posting, but I just had to chime in.

I received the Arktos 29 about a week ago. I have about 3 rides on it so far. If you are on the fence about buying this bike, I say go for it! I have been riding/racing for about 25 years and this is by far the best bike I have ever ridden! And I have had more bikes than I care to admit to.

Anyway, at this point in my life, I was looking for a full suspension rig that would be kind to my older, beat up body and the Arktos hit the nail on the head for me. Most of my riding is in the South Carolina/North Carolina area. Some trails are technical and some are not that technical. I have to tell you, this bike is even good as a cross country machine. It does everything so well.

Thanks for listening...one happy Alchemy Arktos owner!

mtbr member
    Your thoughts match mine. The rear suspension is amazing but the thing I am most impressed by is the geometry and handing. If there was one thing I wished it could do better I couldn't come up with anything. Climbing, descending, fast, slow, straight, twisty, flat, rough, it does it all flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2bike62 View Post
    Hey all! I am typically a lurker here. I think this is my second time posting, but I just had to chime in.

I received the Arktos 29 about a week ago. I have about 3 rides on it so far. If you are on the fence about buying this bike, I say go for it! I have been riding/racing for about 25 years and this is by far the best bike I have ever ridden! And I have had more bikes than I care to admit to.

Anyway, at this point in my life, I was looking for a full suspension rig that would be kind to my older, beat up body and the Arktos hit the nail on the head for me. Most of my riding is in the South Carolina/North Carolina area. Some trails are technical and some are not that technical. I have to tell you, this bike is even good as a cross country machine. It does everything so well.

Thanks for listening...one happy Alchemy Arktos owner!

mtbr member
    Finally got out on mine today for the first time. I am super impressed! Great all around! This bike replaced my Yeti SB4.5. I also have a Yeti SB6 that I use for bigger all mountain rides, enduro races, and bike park visits. I’m now thinking about replacing the SB6 with a DH bike and using the Arktos ST for everything from XC to Enduro. I’ll update as I get more miles on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I wanted to try and love this bike but there is no way in CA----even thought of taking a Denver short vacation but in the end did not work out----I hope they find someway to provide demo's for those of us simply not comfortable buying w/o at least a short ride. This company has made road bikes for many years and the local dealers here all had demo bikes so they have experience with this----hopefully they find some solution--really tough here in Norcal where Santa Cruz/IBIS/Specialized/Trek/Giant/Transistion/Yeti/Norco all make this easy

mtbrer
    I wanted to try and love this bike but there is no way in CA----even thought of taking a Denver short vacation but in the end did not work out----I hope they find someway to provide demo's for those of us simply not comfortable buying w/o at least a short ride. This company has made road bikes for many years and the local dealers here all had demo bikes so they have experience with this----hopefully they find some solution--really tough here in Norcal where Santa Cruz/IBIS/Specialized/Trek/Giant/Transistion/Yeti/Norco all make this easy
    They do have a demo center in California. I know SoCal is still a trek depending g on where you are.

They will ship you a bike to your for demo - but it costs (less than a trip to Denver.)
    --Reamer

mtbrer

Alchemy Arktos 29ST

... after planning a demo at home (schedule didn’t work out) I finally just ordered one sight unseen.

I’ll post up in a couple weeks after I’ve gotten a few rides whether I feel I’ve made a good decision.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ... after planning a demo at home (schedule didn’t work out) I finally just ordered one sight unseen.

I’ll post up in a couple weeks after I’ve gotten a few rides whether I feel I’ve made a good decision.

Hello Reamer

How does it work to setting up an home demo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Interesting when I twice spoke with them they did not say anything about a SOCAL demo place. Have any detail ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Big find-----they have partnered with demoworx here in CA and have a rolling fleet with several demo days and offices in San Diego and Folsom----which is just 2 hours from here----excited again
    And the demo for a day is FREE---

mtbrer
    Hello Reamer

How does it work to setting up an home demo?
    Email or call them to get the ball rolling. They ship the bike out and after the demo you ship it back.

There’s also an online chat function on their website.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Demoworx don't have any Arktos ST available for demo. Just the regular Arktos. I also checked with The Bike Company in Lake Forest who are the So CA Alchemy demo center. Same story they only have the regular Arktos available for demo.

mtbrer
    Interesting when I twice spoke with them they did not say anything about a SOCAL demo place. Have any detail ?
    https://bikeco.com/

It is listed on Alchemy’s website under Demo - it was last I checked, anyway.
    --Reamer

mtbrer
    My Arktos ST was delivered today. Just hours after I left home for a 3-day work trip.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Now that is a major bummer.

mtbrer
    Got home from work last night and it was hard to ignore the bike box waiting for me in the garage.... This morning I unboxed and assembled 'her'. The Bike Company had done a nice job of building, disassembling and packing. Bike want together easily and quickly. A few parts, cassette and dropper, were not included as I already had the parts I wanted to use.

I got a quick ride this afternoon. Nice! Definitely different from the 2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT I've been riding for the past 7.5 years. No PRs, nor was I trying. I just wanted to get a feel for the bike and and get comfortable on it. Beautiful afternoon for a ride!

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-img_9281.jpg

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-img_9286.jpg

Alchemy Arktos 29ST-img_9287.jpg

Fork -- Fox 36 29 Factory Kashima 140mm Boost 15mm Pro Tune
    Shock -- Fox DPX2 Factory Kashima EVOL LV 3-Position Adjust Pro Tune
    Handlebar -- Race Face Aeffect R 35×780 20mm Rise
    Stem Race -- Face Aeffect R 50mm 0 Degree 40mm
    Seat Post -- *9Point 8 Fall Line
    Grips -- *ESI Chunky
    Headset -- Cane Creek 40-Series
    Saddle -- *Selle Itialla SLR
    Shifters -- SRAM GX Eagle
    Rear Derailleur -- SRAM GX Eagle
    Cassette -- *eThirteen 9-50
    Cranks -- #SRAM X01 EAGLE BLK 3ot
    Bottom Bracket -- SRAM BB DUB BSA MTB73 SB+
    Chain -- SRAM GX Eagle 12 SPD
    Brakes -- #XTR 9100
    Rotors -- Shimano 180/160mm Center Lock Ice Tech Rotor
    Front Wheel -- DT Swiss M 1700 SPLINE 29 – 30 mm CL 15/110mm
    Rear Wheel -- DT Swiss M 1700 SPLINE 29 – 30 mm CL 12/157 mm TA
    Tires -- *Bontrager EX4 29x2.60 Team Issue

* = I supplied these parts.
    # = The Bike Co substituted from Alchemy GX build.

In the not to distant future I can see some carbon rims on I9 hubs, and a carbon bar.
    --Reamer

mtbrer
    The above bike IS and Arktos 29 ST. Alchemy didn't have the STs in stock so they swapped links and shock and sent it out.

The XR4 2.6 tire fits out back with no problem. Lots of room.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    The above bike IS and Arktos 29 ST. Alchemy didn't have the STs in stock so they swapped links and shock and sent it out. The XR4 2.6 tire fits out back with no problem. Lots of room.
    did you have any problems with the brake and derailleur cables exiting the downtube and transition onto the chainstays hitting the rear tire? this was a minor problem that a reviewer pointed out - thanks! bike lots great!! looking forward to your comparison review to the SC

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    did you have any problems with the brake and derailleur cables exiting the downtube and transition onto the chainstays hitting the rear tire?
    The two work arounds:
    - adding a zip tie where they exit the tube.

- How alchemy installs the cables, they cross when they exit the down tube. I believe if you had them not cross... Then have the intend cable coming out the same side would have better alignment with the chain stay to the brakes or derailleur. I had considered trying because cables where initially rubbing w/ 2.5. I was able to play with the cables, so they won't rub.

mtbrer
    did you have any problems with the brake and derailleur cables exiting the downtube and transition onto the chainstays hitting the rear tire? this was a minor problem that a reviewer pointed out - thanks! bike lots great!! looking forward to your comparison review to the SC
    Initially I had a little tire-derailleur cable rub when the suspension compressed. I pulled some cable from the to make a bigger bend there to clear the tire.

I think I may zip tie ithe cable to the chainstay to ensure it stays clear of the tire.
    Not thrilled with the routing there.
    I believe the cable holes in the main triangle are angled for the cross over so rerouting to avoid the crossover might not work without some minor mod. Not something I want to do on a new frame.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    I didn’t cross the cables on my build but could see where it might help. Without crossing I am not getting any rub with a 2.4” XR4.

Initially I had a little tire-derailleur cable rub when the suspension compressed. I pulled some cable from the to make a bigger bend there to clear the tire.

I think I may zip tie ithe cable to the chainstay to ensure it stays clear of the tire.
    Not thrilled with the routing there.
    I believe the cable holes in the main triangle are angled for the cross over so rerouting to avoid the crossover might not work without some minor mod. Not something I want to do on a new frame.

mtbr member
    Sweet setup. I think you will be breaking all your PR’s pretty quick.

Got home from work last night and it was hard to ignore the bike box waiting for me in the garage.... This morning I unboxed and assembled 'her'. The Bike Company had done a nice job of building, disassembling and packing. Bike want together easily and quickly. A few parts, cassette and dropper, were not included as I already had the parts I wanted to use.

I got a quick ride this afternoon. Nice! Definitely different from the 2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT I've been riding for the past 7.5 years. No PRs, nor was I trying. I just wanted to get a feel for the bike and and get comfortable on it. Beautiful afternoon for a ride!

Name:	IMG_9281.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	556.2 KB 
ID:	1287511

Name:	IMG_9286.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	565.7 KB 
ID:	1287513

Name:	IMG_9287.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	1287515

Fork -- Fox 36 29 Factory Kashima 140mm Boost 15mm Pro Tune
    Shock -- Fox DPX2 Factory Kashima EVOL LV 3-Position Adjust Pro Tune
    Handlebar -- Race Face Aeffect R 35×780 20mm Rise
    Stem Race -- Face Aeffect R 50mm 0 Degree 40mm
    Seat Post -- *9Point 8 Fall Line
    Grips -- *ESI Chunky
    Headset -- Cane Creek 40-Series
    Saddle -- *Selle Itialla SLR
    Shifters -- SRAM GX Eagle
    Rear Derailleur -- SRAM GX Eagle
    Cassette -- *eThirteen 9-50
    Cranks -- #SRAM X01 EAGLE BLK 3ot
    Bottom Bracket -- SRAM BB DUB BSA MTB73 SB+
    Chain -- SRAM GX Eagle 12 SPD
    Brakes -- #XTR 9100
    Rotors -- Shimano 180/160mm Center Lock Ice Tech Rotor
    Front Wheel -- DT Swiss M 1700 SPLINE 29 – 30 mm CL 15/110mm
    Rear Wheel -- DT Swiss M 1700 SPLINE 29 – 30 mm CL 12/157 mm TA
    Tires -- *Bontrager EX4 29x2.60 Team Issue

* = I supplied these parts.
    # = The Bike Co substituted from Alchemy GX build.

In the not to distant future I can see some carbon rims on I9 hubs, and a carbon bar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    reamer41 I also have a Tallboy LT which I'm looking at replacing very soon. How does it climb and what is the weight?

mtbrer
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    reamer41 I also have a Tallboy LT which I'm looking at replacing very soon. How does it climb and what is the weight?
    I don’t know about the weight. Somehow I can afford the bikes but not a scale?

I think in the current set up the Arktos is a little heavier than the TBLTc. I was on a large SC, and I’d gone to a Fox 36 in 2015, and a CCinline shock, King hubs and carbon rims. The tires on the SC are lighter than the XR4s on the Arktos, and the bar and stem are also a bit heavier on the new bike.

I think newer bikes are a bit heavier due to bigger frames. The Tallboy 4 frame is heavier than my old TBLTc. The Arktos has great shocks and those are a little heavier too.

The bike climbs well. My short ride on the Alchemy was the day after getting home late from an overseas trip so I wouldn’t say I was anything but fatigued to start.

I did notice some bob in the rear shock. I flipped the lever to the middle position and that stopped it.
    Last edited by reamer41; 1 Day Ago at 07:01 PM.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Whew. I guess I will keep my ST. Pinkbike likes it.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...tos-29-st.html

high pivot witchcraft
    Whew. I guess I will keep my ST. Pinkbike likes it.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...tos-29-st.html
    Interestingly (or controversially, or maybe even not surprisingly, for those who hate the PB crowd), this bike (and the level of quality of the review) was not discussed favourably in the comment section below. Not sure what that was all about, but the review seemed to generate a lot of similar responses.
    2020 Kona Unit (in progress...)
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Yeah I saw that. Lots of “seat post too long”, “seat tube angle .5d too slack”, “not as good of a value as a Fezzari”, blah, blah, blah. Typical sh!t people talk about things they have not ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Interestingly, this bike (and the level of quality of the review) was almost universally ripped to shreds in the comment section below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yeah I saw that. Lots of “seat post too long”, “seat tube angle .5d too slack”, “not as good of a value as a Fezzari”, blah, blah, blah. Typical sh!t people talk about things they have not ridden.
    So on the money!
    Anyone can pick apart any bike. There is no such thing as a perfect bike. Do your research, test ride if you can, buy the bike, then get out there and have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So wait, if the same seat tube length was too long on a previous bike, people need to ride this one to know it's still too long?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The seat tube is among the longest of any of the new bikes I've seen and the reach is one of the shortest. Besides that, there doesn't seem to be anything outstanding about the bike. 66.1 HTA is on the more conservative side, 436mm chainstays are very average, 75.5 STA is nothing special etc.

The review sounded more like an ad with tons of marketing terms. Really just left a bad taste in my mouth. Then the whole chainstay debate - I really don't know what's happening anymore. I've got a Canfield Riot with 414mm chainstays, people complain about the short chainstays pushing more weight to the back and lifting the front wheel on climbs. RC argues that short chainstays help improve climbing traction - something I personally don't believe in. While the Riot climbs steep stuff well, I would attribute that more to its 77 degree STA than the chainstays.

Short chainstays used to be the marketing point, with the "extra maneuverability" they offered, now it's back to long chainstays for "more stability". Is it going to tip back to short chainstays again? Who knows?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    The seat tube is among the longest of any of the new bikes I've seen
    it's like then never thought of the 5'11'' person with a 32'' inseam.

That 19'' seat tube makes it a no go for me, unless I want a 100mm dropper. While I don't need anything close to 200mm dropper- I want more than 100mm.

Funny how the people the numbers work for, spew the "Typical sh!t" about people that know what numbers do or don't work for them.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbrer
    The seat tube length works for me. I already had a 125mm dropper and that works fine in my XL. But I will say I don't get Alchemy's reasoning for the design. Unless the frame was designed before dropper posts were popular and they just don't want to change the mold for the frame...?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The seat tube length works for me. I already had a 125mm dropper and that works fine in my XL. But I will say I don't get Alchemy's reasoning for the design. Unless the frame was designed before dropper posts were popular and they just don't want to change the mold for the frame...?
    For today's bikes, I would say that being limited to a 125mm dropper on any reasonable size is a major flaw. Dropper posts have been around for many years and 150mm droppers have been the standard for a while now. Every new bike should be able to at least give one the option to run a long stroke dropper.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    it's like then never thought of the 5'11'' person with a 32'' inseam.
    That person is unusual. What's even more unusual is that they have those long legs and don't have matching long arms. It's something about how all long bone growth is influenced by the same hormone. I forget the details, but in my 3 years as a fitter i never saw anyone who really deviated from average fit, once you had all their measurements. It was disappointing, actually. All i did was direct the unusually short/tall to bikes that were scaled correctly. And a lot of help with working around injuries or unfitness.

I see forcing all the riders on to the same chainstay length (and suspension linkage geometry) as a much more real problem.

Regardless, they're not trying to fit every weirdo, they're trying to make a design that can work for as many people as possible for the lowest cost. If a decision results in 3% less profit but it saves 5% of their costs... win! Heck, it might serve their interests to scare off the folk who want to slam the post and get rowdy.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    That person is unusual. What's even more unusual is that they have those long legs and don't have matching long arms. It's something about how all long bone growth is influenced by the same hormone. I forget the details, but in my 3 years as a fitter i never saw anyone who really deviated from average fit, once you had all their measurements. It was disappointing, actually. All i did was direct the unusually short/tall to bikes that were scaled correctly. And a lot of help with working around injuries or unfitness.

I see forcing all the riders on to the same chainstay length (and suspension linkage geometry) as a much more real problem.

Regardless, they're not trying to fit every weirdo, they're trying to make a design that can work for as many people as possible for the lowest cost. If a decision results in 3% less profit but it saves 5% of their costs... win! Heck, it might serve their interests to scare off the folk who want to slam the post and get rowdy.
    So what does making a long seat tube on purpose accomplish exactly? There's a lot of nothing in your post. If they were trying to make a design work for as many as possible for the least costs- well then a shorter seat tube falls right in line with that.

Less material and fits a wider range of riders.
    Ripley LS v3

mbtr member
    So what does making a long seat tube on purpose accomplish exactly? There's a lot of nothing in your post. If they were trying to make a design work for as many as possible for the least costs- well then a shorter seat tube falls right in line with that.

Less material and fits a wider range of riders.
    The long seat tube is offputting to radboys like TwoTone, who wants to slam that shit and shred. They'd just be disappointed by the lame leverage ratio and odd geo, and will probably break more frames. Good riddance.

Or maybe alchemy just took too long to bring this to market. Who knows?

Alchemy made the decisions based on their own interpretation of the market. It doesn't appeal to me either, but i wanna be rad like you.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The long seat tube is offputting to radboys like TwoTone, who wants to slam that shit and shred. They'd just be disappointed by the lame leverage ratio and odd geo, and will probably break more frames. Good riddance.

Alchemy made the decisions based on their own interpretation of the market. It doesn't appeal to me either, but i wanna be rad like you.
    LOL so wanting a 125mm dropper is being a Rad boy? Funny, 100mm dropper kind of goes against everything else on the bike- DPX2, Fox 36 etc..
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    No. Not my point.

My only two gripes with the ST are no bottle mount on the inside of the frame and the long seat tube. For the seat tube I knew my almost new 185mm bikeyoke was not going to to work so I had to buy a 160mm which didn’t make me happy. The 185mm was ~13mm from working (I’m 6’1”, 75cm seat height on an XL).

Is the seat tube on the Alchemy longer than it needs to be? Sure it is. It’s the same as my old XL Ripley LS.

So wait, if the same seat tube length was too long on a previous bike, people need to ride this one to know it's still too long?

mtbr member
    Alchemy is using the same frame as the long travel Arktos which is a solid 3 years old now. Molds are $$$$$ and With Alchemy being such a small company they prob couldn’t justify the funds for new molds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No. Not my point.

My only two gripes with the ST are no bottle mount on the inside of the frame and the long seat tube. For the seat tube I knew my almost new 185mm bikeyoke was not going to to work so I had to buy a 160mm which didn’t make me happy. The 185mm was ~13mm from working (I’m 6’1”, 75cm seat height on an XL).

Is the seat tube on the Alchemy longer than it needs to be? Sure it is. It’s the same as my old XL Ripley LS.
    Mentoring the Ripley LS is interesting. When you compare them it makes the Alchemy numbers even stranger.

For the LS The M= 16.5 L= 18.5 and the XL = 20.5 but the Alchemy is M= 17.71 L=19.01 XL=20.39
    Ripley LS v3

mbtr member
    Alchemy is using the same frame as the long travel Arktos which is a solid 3 years old now. Molds are $$$$$ and With Alchemy being such a small company they prob couldn’t justify the funds for new molds.
    Ahh that makes sense! Thanks.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov