Alchemy Arktos 29 - anyone have experience with this bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Alchemy Arktos 29 - anyone have experience with this bike?

Currently shopping a new FS rig and this one is high on the list. Problem is, I don't know of anyone who has one and can provide some thoughts on it.

I live in the Southeast and I'm looking for a bike that can handle chunk, drops, etc. and a few enduro races each year. I'm looking for descending prowess that isn't terrible to earn elevation on. The Arktos looks promising, but haven't found much for reviews on it. Bike Bible reviewed the ST version with a lot of positive things to say, but nothing on the original long travel.

I'm just starting to throw my leg over some prospects. Took out a Ripmo to Baker's/Year Round Get Down for a few hours last week. Impressive bike for sure, and I feel like it's the "least" I want in terms of descending capability. Climbed great and descended well, though I felt it could handle the chatter on the rock garden lines a bit better. I've been told the Hightower feels a bit more solid in this regard even with a bit less travel. I'll be trying the Hightower and megatower back to back this week.

Anyways, I digress, really curious how the Arktos stacks up in it's category. Great looking spec for the coin.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Search a few threads down. There is a raving thread about this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Oh nvm your loookimg standard travel that thread is about short travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here is the post and detail review of Arktos 29 (standard travel 160F/140R) by Zonic Man.

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/2...s-1091963.html

Bikeco.com has a couple of reviews too

mtbr member
    Blister just did a review. Not a bad review...but not completely complimentary either.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...hemy-arktos-29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Blister just did a review. Not a bad review...but not completely complimentary either. https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...hemy-arktos-29
    thanks for posting the review. it is detailed and well written. Maybe a bit “nit-picking” in my opinion. However, the main criticism of the “tall stack” had me wondering if the reviewer chose the right size bike (large) for his height 5'9". With a longer stem and lower stack of the medium, maybe he would have gotten along better with the front end of the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    A buddy of mine here in ATL just bought one and has it in the lower travel setting. He went with the Enve upgrade and X01 Eagle kit. I have only ridden the bike for a few minutes but cannot wait to spend some time on it. I’m 5’9” and his bike is a medium - I wouldn’t want the large based on the few minutes I rode the bike. I will say it pedaled very well but didn’t get a feel for the suspension.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm extremely appreciative for the links and feedback. All of this has been super helpful and exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks, everyone!