Alchemy Arktos 29 - anyone have experience with this bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Alchemy Arktos 29 - anyone have experience with this bike?

Currently shopping a new FS rig and this one is high on the list. Problem is, I don't know of anyone who has one and can provide some thoughts on it.

I live in the Southeast and I'm looking for a bike that can handle chunk, drops, etc. and a few enduro races each year. I'm looking for descending prowess that isn't terrible to earn elevation on. The Arktos looks promising, but haven't found much for reviews on it. Bike Bible reviewed the ST version with a lot of positive things to say, but nothing on the original long travel.

I'm just starting to throw my leg over some prospects. Took out a Ripmo to Baker's/Year Round Get Down for a few hours last week. Impressive bike for sure, and I feel like it's the "least" I want in terms of descending capability. Climbed great and descended well, though I felt it could handle the chatter on the rock garden lines a bit better. I've been told the Hightower feels a bit more solid in this regard even with a bit less travel. I'll be trying the Hightower and megatower back to back this week.

Anyways, I digress, really curious how the Arktos stacks up in it's category. Great looking spec for the coin.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Search a few threads down. There is a raving thread about this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Oh nvm your loookimg standard travel that thread is about short travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here is the post and detail review of Arktos 29 (standard travel 160F/140R) by Zonic Man.

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/2...s-1091963.html

Bikeco.com has a couple of reviews too

mtbr member
    Blister just did a review. Not a bad review...but not completely complimentary either.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...hemy-arktos-29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Blister just did a review. Not a bad review...but not completely complimentary either. https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...hemy-arktos-29
    thanks for posting the review. it is detailed and well written. Maybe a bit “nit-picking” in my opinion. However, the main criticism of the “tall stack” had me wondering if the reviewer chose the right size bike (large) for his height 5'9". With a longer stem and lower stack of the medium, maybe he would have gotten along better with the front end of the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    A buddy of mine here in ATL just bought one and has it in the lower travel setting. He went with the Enve upgrade and X01 Eagle kit. I have only ridden the bike for a few minutes but cannot wait to spend some time on it. I’m 5’9” and his bike is a medium - I wouldn’t want the large based on the few minutes I rode the bike. I will say it pedaled very well but didn’t get a feel for the suspension.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm extremely appreciative for the links and feedback. All of this has been super helpful and exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks, everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mthopton View Post
    A buddy of mine here in ATL just bought one and has it in the lower travel setting. He went with the Enve upgrade and X01 Eagle kit. I have only ridden the bike for a few minutes but cannot wait to spend some time on it. I’m 5’9” and his bike is a medium - I wouldn’t want the large based on the few minutes I rode the bike. I will say it pedaled very well but didn’t get a feel for the suspension.

Good luck!

I enjoyed my buddy’s bike so much, I bought one for myself. Ordered direct from Joel at Alchemy. My choice was an ST built on the vanilla colored Arktos frame with the Enve stem and bar upgrade. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

Now to sell my Pivot.... anyone want a great deal on a Mach 429 Trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I just got my Arktos 29 a few weeks ago. Great build quality, fantastic team to deal with at Alchemy. Can't comment on the ride much yet as winter has arrived. The first spin was very good. Great fit and build. It felt very similar to the Yeti SB 130. I will provide further updates once I ride more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Just bit the hook, or dropped the hammer on one yesterday.

I currently live in the desert but was way overbooked on my
    2012 Firebird. This will be my first time on a non - dw bike
    since 2011, and my first time on a 29er.
    Got 29er fever and drank the Kool-aid, the 26" Firebird,
    even with 165mm travel, still climbs short punchy climbs reasonably well,
    but the outdated geo and the overall bike weight (33.3 lbs.)
    was holding me back more than the smaller wheels.
    So, should be shipping in about a week, all they had left in a large
    frame size was the vanilla color.
    On this particular frame I could have easily went with a med, as my stats
    are 5'10.5" (179cm) with a 31" inseam. The numbers would
    have corresponds exactly with my large Firebird frame.,
    including the seat tube length as well as head tube.
    I went with the large, though, thinking I needed to take advantage
    of the new school geo. I decided to forever an extra 100$
    to switch the crank length to 165mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats on bike, i think you made ride choice with a Large im 5'7 and on a medium with 170mm crank and 150mm dropper. I went from a older Ripley LS and this climbs very well seated near as good as the shorter travel DW link, standing climbing still good and don't have comparison to other longer travel bikes bikes but probably not quite DW efficient. Desending and pedaling over the rough it shines.

IMO the newer geo with steep seat tube angles is so much better on 29 bikes, once I went to steeper seattube angle and HT around 67 degrees it is hard to ride older school geo. Bottom line get ready you are gonna have a blast.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Arktos and 203mm Rotors

I am a complete noob here - but super stoked to find people that are riding Alchemy!

A friend of mine just received his Arktos 29 Shimano build with 180mm rotors and was wondering if anyone has installed 203's theirs? He was able to get the front done with a Shimano post mount adapter - no problems - but the one specified for the rear by Shimano isn't even close! When the caliper is sitting ON the 203 rotor there is a gap between the caliper mounting holes and the adapter approx. 1/2"!

The adapter that Shimano recommends is - but it is a no go!
    SM-MA90-F203P/PM or SM-MA-F203P/PM

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

It's good

I can say now without a doubt
    that after 4 rides and getting this rig properly sorted fire and aft with the suspension, that this is
    bike feels better than any other I've owned or ridden on my local xc desert terrain, with bite of fliwy trail sections interspersed with chunky, ledgy, punchy, mostly short climbs.
    It feels closest to a hover bike,
    it's that good

The only issue I'm having is, on my last ride, after 14 miles in the saddle, and with the ride ending with a 10 minute descent, my wrists were cramping up, and the outside of my hands were starting to get numb.
    My first upgrade will be to get a riser bar.
    At 5'11" and with a 31" inseam, I am a bit longer in my torso, and so there was a question initially whether this bike would feel too short on the reach.
    But I moved the 3 spacers to the top of the stem, and that seemed to fix it, I forgot about it during my rides, until the end of the last one, but I think it's fixable. Otherwise the bike is very close to being perfect for my area

Trail Ninja
    A ride buddy has this bike and had the same issues as you le_buzz.

Advice that seems to work: rotate your brake levers up a bit (somewhere between 45 degrees down-forward and level) and use your palm on the back of the grip to balance the grip of the fingers. This neutralizes the death grip and the associated fatigue. The idea is to take some of the dependence of needing the thumb to be wrapped around the bar, and shift over to have the grip held between fingers and palm.

Also, this bike is capable of doing a lot of the work for you, and is more compatible with a Sam Hill riding style. To take advantage of it, straighten out your arms and legs and "tilt" your hips back and hinge at the hips until you feel like you are balanced, and aren't pushing nor pulling on the bar. Don't push against the bike if it pitches up. "Preload yourself" if you expect the bike to pitch down. Try to let the bike pitch up and down below you without your weight working against it. Basically, keep your hips inline with the pull of gravity over your feet and don't "sag" your body's susp for the purpose of soaking up trail chatter.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."