Airborne vs. Vitus- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Airborne vs. Vitus

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to buy a dual suspension bike that is more fit for DH than XC, I like the specs on the Airborne Hobgoblin, but I am also looking at the Vitus Gravir 29 suspension bike. I can't find any reviews on the Vitus, so does anyone know anything about it? It seems to have good components but I wanna make sure. By the way my spending limit is $1800 and I am a beginning DH rider, but very familiar with riding.

AZ
    banned
    Neither one of them is a down hill bike, they are aimed at the XC segment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_farry View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to buy a dual suspension bike that is more fit for DH than XC, I like the specs on the Airborne Hobgoblin, but I am also looking at the Vitus Gravir 29 suspension bike. I can't find any reviews on the Vitus, so does anyone know anything about it? It seems to have good components but I wanna make sure. By the way my spending limit is $1800 and I am a beginning DH rider, but very familiar with riding.
    I'll be upfront here and say that while the HobGoblin is a great bike, it's an XC bike. Definitely not a DH bike.

For DH you're going to want at least a 6" travel All-Mountain bike, but possibly a 7" or 8" gravity bike depending on where you will be riding.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for replying, and what i meant by a DH bike is that i will be riding XC, but i want to know which bike is better suited for fast downhill descents, or if there is another bike that is better for under 2k but still a full suspension 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks for replying, and what i meant by a DH bike is that i will be riding XC, but i want to know which bike is better suited for fast downhill descents, or if there is another bike that is better for under 2k but still a full suspension 29er
    Fuel EX 7 29 You can ride this up hill and down but it is not a DH bike.

Also look at Giant Trance, Reign and Remedy. Choose a model to suit your needs. You can ride cross country on a Trance and they ride down hills well too.

Giant Trance X 29Er 2 MTN Bike 2013

Giant Trance X 29Er 1 MTN Bike 2013

With a 2k budget 26 inch bikes offer a lot of options at the moment. (some good deals around atm)
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The Escarpe 29 is what you REALLY need...

Of the two you asked about, the Gravir will be more "downhill" capable. Look at bikes like the Yeti SB95, Banshee Prime, Transition Bandit, Kona Satori, etc. Try to find geometry that's close to them because they're at the pinnacle of hardcore trail 29ers at the moment. You DEFINITELY want a head angle around the 67-68 degree range to give you more confidence when bombing thru rough sections of trail.

I'm not aware of anything else in your price range other than the Vitus(which I didn't even know existed until 5 minutes ago) that has "downhill/AM" like geometry along with rear suspension. The Vitus still isn't ideal since it only has 120/100mm of travel, but it might be the best you're going to get at that price range. I'd say save up a bit and go for the Escarpe if you truly want an aggressive trail bike