Air Carbon - First Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Air Carbon - First Ride

Thanks to Niner and Golden Bikes I was able to take the new Air Carbon out for a ride. I was excited to compare the hype of the Air Carbon to my current bikes the Niner Air9 (geared) and Kelly Ro-Sham-Bo (rigid singlespeed). The bike was setup as a singlespeed with the Niner carbon fork. It weighed in around 19lbs. This bike exceeded my expectations-very responsive, great handling and a smooth road feel (even on the rockiest terrain as a rigid hardtail). Sitting, standing, up hills, down fast single track, or through technical sections the bike was a blast to ride. I am looking forward to building up one for myself. Look for Mike riding this bike at SSUSA in Tucson this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    How do you feel it compared o the Scandium Air 9 for comfort?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    More comfortable than the Air9 and I find the Air9 as comfortable as my steel bikes.

simple
    Where did you ride it?

What wheels are those?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode North Table Mountain in Golden, CO. Those are Easton wheels. Unfortunately I don't know the details on those wheels.

simple
    Yeah I wondered about those "technical sections". Take that carbon fing fang over to Dakota Ridge and drop it a few times, then let us know how it holds up.

They look like Easton Havon wheels but converted to singlespeed. Nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Any more details? Did it feel stiffer compared to your current air9 in the necessary places? Did it blow you away compared to your current air9 in any way? Anything you didn't like? Do you feel it's worth the extra $1k in addition to the scandium air9's price.. why/why not?

mtbr member
    This is the same bike I rode Tues. night and posted a review. The wheels are Easton Havens (geared) converted to SS. The wheels are set up tubeless with Geax Saguaro TNT tires. Heavy suckers...you could drop a full pound just by switching to something else.

The wheels were very stiff - no wobble, no side to side play, no flex, no spoke wind up. Keep in mind that I'm 145, not really hard on wheels. I hear they were easy to set up tubeless, but I didn't do it.

I rode North Table Mtn. then up Chimney Gulch, then down the frontage road as it was dark and the trail was snow/ice, then a few loops around Green Mtn.

Good luck, Mike!!!!!
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Point well taken...I currently run a rigid Pace carbon fork on my singlespeed. It has held up to many years of riding rock gardens like Dakota Ridge, White & Hall Ranch, etc.. To be honest I prefer my RIP on Dakota Ridge.

I hope to take the Air Carbon out to Dakota Ridge next week and will post my feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The responsiveness when I stood on the pedals is the first thing I noticed. It had a more solid feel than my Air9. Additionally, the carbon does not transfer as much vibration to the rider. If you can spend the extra cash buy the Air Carbon. I think the weight savings, ride quality, and handling would worth the extra cost for endurance racers. The Air9 is a great frame and I plan to keep it as my primary geared bike.

I am interested to see how the bike holds up over the longer term. I converted from a titanium to carbon road frame 2 years ago and am very pleased with the carbon road frame.

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by castlej
    The responsiveness when I stood on the pedals is the first think I noticed. It had a more solid feel than my Air9. Additionally, the carbon does not transfer as much vibration to the rider. If you can spend the extra cash buy the Air Carbon. I think the weight savings, ride quality, and handling would worth the extra cost for endurance racers. The Air9 is a great frame and I plan to keep it as my primary geared bike.

I am interested to see how the bike holds up over the longer term. I converted from a titanium to carbon road frame 2 years ago and am very pleased with the carbon road frame.
    Castlej, Very interested in your feedback on this frame!! I ride a Niner One 9 full rigid with the niner fork and LOVE IT!! I want to build another single speed and am on the fence to go with the Niner Air Carbon 9 or Lynskey Ridgeline. Congrats on a sweet lookin' bike!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Congrats need to go to Mike and Adam at Golden Bikes! They built the bike and gave me the opportunity to ride it this week. I cannot compare the two bikes since I have not ridden the Lynskey. I have owned and ridden many 29er's (steel, ti, aluminum, and scandium). The Air carbon is clearly the best ridding bike in the hard tail category. There are other carbon 29er's that are sweet rides. Niner has a few items that make it stand out: BB options, single speed or geared setup, internal cable routing, weight, supports tapered head tube, and Niner's incredible customer service.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Damn good looking. I wish it had some Black ourys on it because the Red looks out of place on this bike.
    I can't wait to try one... but its going to be awhile since there isnt even a dealer in my state NH. You CO guys are lucky! Have fun on that rocket ship.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i have an air9 carbon on order with adam @ golden bike shop as well. great guys. can't wait to get my frame ...

have you tried a GF superfly before and if so how does it compare?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The GF Superfly has similar ride feel, but I like the handling charecterisitcs and fit of the Air Carbon. The Air Carbon geometry fits me better than the GF.

mtbr member
    Looks nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0