Advice!!! Specialized Crave Expert or Trek Fuel EX 7- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Advice!!! Specialized Crave Expert or Trek Fuel EX 7

Hi Guys,

I am trying to buy a new bike and have had a had time deciding.

After a lot of reading and browsing, I have decided for a Specialized Crave Expert 2014 because of its value, brand and equipment. Today the local Trek dealer started receiving 2014 models and I had the chance to see the Fuel EX 7 and mi head started turning again.

I know that one is hard tail and the other is full susp., maybe hard to compare, but the price here is very close in both. I have always wanted a Specialized but I also know that full suspensions have improved a lot over the years (10 years since last ride) and I am 39 years so have to think in comfort and making the ride a little better and comfortable.

The trail is a very technical one, with close corners and fast and short downhill and lots of climbs, soho shorter and soho others a little longer.

Your advices are welcome.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    EX7 29er?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes, both are 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Crave still has the 71.5* steep head tube angle that can be twitchy. Look at Trek Superfly, Stache 8 and Scott Scale models for light hard tails with more current geo. Test ride in and out of ditches and on the grass for a bit more trail feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    People will go back and forth forever on whether a hardtail or FS makes more sense. At the price point you are looking at and assuming you are not planning on racing XC, I would go with the FS trail bike with out a doubt. Both bikes are good, but for trail riding and the description of your trail as very technical, I would much, much prefer the Fuel 29er in that circumstance. It is a much more capable and forgiving bike for technical terrain and an inexperienced rider, and I think is more fun and you will re-learn faster on it than a hardtail because it is much more capable.

mtbr member
    I am a bit biased, but I would go for the Crave. The HA makes the bike roar on the single track. You will get used to the "twitchy" feeling on the street and it will smooth its self out. I like the Crave due to the Tapered seat tube to add stiffness. This is a new feature that my Carve is lacking. I would ride the Fuel to see if the bobs while pedaling. My Carve is very fast on the trails and climbs great. It is a nice package. FS bikes are better in the 3K and up range and if you are in the $1800 range it would have low end parts.

BTW the Fuel EX7 is $2300 and a 26er. $500 on the Crave would push it in your favor and have the 29" tires.

Trek Bicycle

Mark

Here is my CarveAdvice!!! Specialized Crave Expert or Trek Fuel EX 7-img_20130826_190326.jpgAdvice!!! Specialized Crave Expert or Trek Fuel EX 7-img_20130826_190232.jpg
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The EX7 still has decent brakes and decent components.

I agree with a post above stating a fs bike may be better for you if you are not looking to compete. If you have rough and technical terrain you most likely will have better control with a fs bike. Someone above also talked about a Superfly....have you looked at a superfly 100? I have demoed one and thought it to be a nice bike and very capable bike....just add some beefier tires.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC