advice for a noob buying a used 2017 ibis ripley ls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

advice for a noob buying a used 2017 ibis ripley ls

Hi all

I'm coming back to mountain biking now that my 11 year old son is really getting into it. I've pulled my ancient (1999?) Specialized Rockhopper out of the garage to ride the local trails with him (climbing and descending in the Oakland Hills on trails like Joaquin Miller). It's been fun, but I didn't realize how far behind my bike was until last month, when we went to Winter Park Colorado and rented some demo bikes. I think I fell in love with a 29" Trek Slash 9.7, but I don't know if I'm quite ready to plunk down $5K (although I'm willing to spend a few grand).

I'm now looking at a 2017 Ibis Ripley LS V2 for sale nearby listed at $2400. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm not familiar with the Ibis brand, but the bike seems to get pretty good reviews. I don't feel like I know enough to be able to determine if this particular build is reasonable or not. I took a look at the bike today - there are a number of small chips and divots in the carbon frame, but nothing that looks deep or compromising (but I don't really know what I'm talking about here).

Any feedback you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think the geo is a bit dated compared to the super long bikes of today...but...I also still think its a good bike today. I recently picked up a 2018 LS V3...I think the only difference is that the V3 can take a wider tire out back. Despite the geo not being up to date...it is still an excellent bike...even compared to the sled length bikes of today. The bike pedals extremely well, good climber, and a competent descender.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Is the bike the right size for you?

It may seem like an obvious question but I've seen over and over here people trying to justify buying a bike that's either too small or too big because it's a "great price".

mtbr member
    I demo'd the bike when it came out and liked it...always loved their suspension designs...I thought it was better going down than going up, but still a competent climber. If it fits and feels good, I don't see how you could go wrong. I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe tires, but found the 29x2.6 Nobby Nics to be somewhat uninspired and would replace them for my application.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    New geo is overrated. Iíll take my slack seat tube and 67 head angle

mtbr member

advice for a noob buying a used 2017 ibis ripley ls

A few things you may want to consider.
    I absolutely disagree with Dirt road about geo. Modern geo has been a complete game changer for me. My 2019 Finally feels how I always thought a mountain bike should feel. Fit, stability at speed, climbing, and overall confidence have all been substantially improved. The ad claims a reach of 411mm but elsewhere It has it at 403mm for the medium, either way thatís crazy short. Most medium frames are in the 430-450mm range nowadays helping give that good ďinĒ the bike feeling instead of feeling like your center of gravity is too high which was always an issue for me until now.

Also, if it is at all in your budget I would demo some bikes and consider buying new. My buddy was just looking at a brand new 2019 Cannondale habit 3 for about 3K on discount. You may pay a little more upfront but youíre not inheriting somebody elseís possible maintenance problems and getting a full warranty plus having shop support does go a long way if needed.
    Last edited by Shredmonkey; 08-24-2019 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    A few things you may want to consider.
    I absolutely disagree with Dirt road about geo. Modern geo has been a complete game changer for me. My 2019 Finally feels how I always thought a mountain bike should feel. Fit, stability at speed, climbing, and overall confidence have all been substantially improved. The ad claims a reach of 411mm but elsewhere It has it at 403mm for the medium, either way thatís crazy short. Most medium frames are in the 430-450mm range nowadays helping give that good ďinĒ the bike feeling instead of feeling like your center of gravity is too high which was always an issue for me until now.

Also, if it is at all in your budget I would demo some bikes and consider buying new. My buddy was just looking at a brand new 2019 Cannondale habit 3 for about 3K on discount. You may pay a little more upfront but youíre not inheriting somebody elseís possible maintenance problems and getting a full warranty and having shop support does go along way if needed.
    I'm inclined to agree. When I demo'd the Ripley V3 and several other 29ers, I was in the market for a new bike and ended up with an SB5c 27.5. Don't get me wrong, if you can get a great deal on a Ripley V3, it's a fine bike. None of them at the time really did it for me. It was last year, on the newer 29ers that I was sold. I ended up with a Giant Trance 29 Pro 1. The difference between the new 29ers and those of 2016 was dramatic enough for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    New geo is overrated. Iíll take my slack seat tube and 67 head angle
    The only '20 bikes that come close to the geo I prefer are the new crop of XC bikes. '20 trail bikes would have been enduro bikes last year. e.g. The new Tallboy 4 is over the top.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thank you so much for all the great feedback.

I agree that the geo might be dated, but since I'm currently riding a 1999 antique, anything I ride is going to be a huge improvement. And there were some great suggestions about alternatives (SB5c, Giant Trance Pro, Tallboy 4, etc), does anyone think I can find something comparable at this price point ($2400)? (I just found a local shop that has the Giant Trance 29 2 for $2800, but I guess that's not the Pro?)

Also, is it worth my time to ask the seller to take it to our local bike shop for a frame inspection or is that a waste of time?

Thank you!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ggcrackers View Post

Also, is it worth my time to ask the seller to take it to our local bike shop for a frame inspection or is that a waste of time?

Thank you!
    Probably a waste of time. Their means of testing adn yours are the same: Is it spongy to touch? Are there cracks or fracture lines? If I lightly tap the area with a coin does the sound change?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Starting today Trek begins blowing out the 19s left in stock at their dealers and in their warehouses. A cash offer of 30% off plus tax to a manager only could work if you talk to enough different shop managers. 60% no refund down if they have to get the bike from a warehouse. The bikes will go. It happens every year at this time. Good hunting. Don't ask for the % off. Figure the price including tax and ask if the manager can work with this amount to get a deal done. New is lifetime warranty on the frame for carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure what your budget is, but either maybe step up to new blow out or use this to negotiate.
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...NjQ2F0MTAwMTYw

New LS V3 GX for $3660

I agree with others, depends on where you ride but the new geo went too far in my mind. Bought a V4 Ripley- sold it and bought a blow out V3 frame. Not everyone enjoys riding a monster truck with a steep seat tube
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hmm... I called the local Trek store and they only wanted to go down 20% on 2019s. But they had a 2018 Fuel EX 8 (new) that they would sell me for $1600. That sounded like a really great deal, although I know very little about the bike. Anyone have any experience with the 2018 FEX 8?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    But they had a 2018 Fuel EX 8 (new) that they would sell me for $1600. That sounded like a really great deal, although I know very little about the bike. Anyone have any experience with the 2018 FEX 8?
    Eagle GX, decent brakes, and 30mm wide rims... Fun geo and some flip chip adjustability. Fork was just ok. Brand new. Hard to beat all that for $1600 especially if it's a good fit...
    Check out some YouTube reviews...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not every manager will deal. They each have discretion. Andonly a manager will negotiate. A sales guy spouts the standard terms. Like "this is all we can do", etc. They are trained for that discussion. A manager can do what he wants. Maybe 2 out of 6 different stores will have one who will work with a buyer. But it's tougher if you don't yet know what you want. Having one bike in one size that you know is in the warehouse(a shop can check) puts you in the stronger negotiating position. The Fuel is a good deal.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Since you're just getting back in the game, anything is going to be significantly better than what you're riding.

The FEX is a really, really good deal, though I'm not personally a fan of that bike.

The new Trance is rad and if it's a leftover 2019, I'm betting you can get it for a much better deal. Fantastic bike.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Fuel EX is a far better choice as an all around trail bike than an older Ripley.

The new Ripley ainít bad, but itís the only version of the Ripley thatíd make the cut as an all mountain bike.

Are you sure you want a 29er.

Itís worth looking at 27.5 if youíre gonna being doing some playing.

Hmm... I called the local Trek store and they only wanted to go down 20% on 2019s. But they had a 2018 Fuel EX 8 (new) that they would sell me for $1600. That sounded like a really great deal, although I know very little about the bike. Anyone have any experience with the 2018 FEX 8?
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by playing (jumps?), but I'm an old guy now (almost 50), so I think my playing days might be behind me. I've really liked the stability I've felt on the 29s, but maybe I ought to get on a 27.5 just to see.
    Most of my riding is going to be in the SF Bay Area hills (maybe 1 trip to the Sierras a year), if that makes any difference.

@Blatant, what makes the Trance so rad? (and which model were you referring to)
    (man, there are a lot of options out there. Really hard to pick one)

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by playing (jumps?), but I'm an old guy now (almost 50), so I think my playing days might be behind me.
    Playing...pop off trail features, go fast, rip turns. Don't throw in the towel yet bro, your not even 50!.

Think of it like a car, do you want a sporty Cadillac, BMW M3, Ford Raptor, Rezvani Tank, Suburu Forrester??

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I had a 2019 Trance 29-2, the only alloy model they offer. It's not the greatest build on the planet, but perfectly acceptable at that price point. Dialed geometry, pedals well, pretty plush and aggressive despite the limited travel.

I paid $3k out the door when it was still early in the model cycle. At this point, if you can find a leftover 2019 in your size, you should be able to get a nice price.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thats a GREAT deal on a great bike. I would highly recommend buying that bike if its the correct size. Ride it for a year or two, and if you decide you want something else you can probably sell it for about that much. Trek wouldn't be selling thousands of those bikes if they didn't perform.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Well, it turns out it was a bait and switch. Despite what the Trek store guy told me on the phone, it was actually a demo bike (not new) for $1600. And then he went it sold it out from under me without calling me like he promised. (And if you sniped it from me by reading about it here, congrats to you)

So the manager felt bad and is willing to sell me a 2018-9 Fuel EX 8 for $2764 (doesn't include pedals, includes 2 services of the bike in 1 yr). I took it for a spin (in both 27.5 and 29 - didn't feel a huge difference on city streets, but maybe liked the 27.5 more?) and liked the bike. But obviously there's a big difference between $1600 and ~$2800 (and the $2400 for the used Ibis that started this thread).

@eb1888 is this the kind of discount you were referring to?
    @TraxFactory - I guess I'm a BMW kind of guy? I'm not a showboat. I need something all mountain for the kinds of elevation changes we have here in California. I'm too timid to do big tricks.

You guys are all awesome. Thanks for all the great discussion.

mtbr member
    The V2 or V3 Ripley is a great bike. Will it be as poppy or playful as one of the newer 29rs? Maybe not but the difference isn't that dramatic especially for a rider that may not push the envelope. As for the newer geometry all the rage you might find the Ripley a bit nicer on XC-ish terrain or gradual climbs.

I've had both the V1 and V2 LS and where it shines is pedaling. My suggestion would be to change the cranks to 170s to counteract the low bottom bracket. Pedal strikes are my main complaint with the LS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    i was in a similar situation. Out of mountain biking for over 10 years. My bike was a 1999 Manitou FS with 100mm travel front and rear. researched a bit, rode a few bikes and bought a 2018 Ibis Ripley LS in February. Its a great bike and does everything better than I can. Climbs very well, pedals on the flats well and descends well, from my local Florida tight, twisty and chunky stuff to long up and downs in Pisgah NC which are known for their chunkiness. Rode a 2018 Ibis Ripmo in Pisgah last July which convinced me I didnt need different geometry, although it too was a nice bike. My friend, who has been biking for 40 years rode my Ripley and has just bought a 2019 Ripley V4. Im 66 years old, he will turn 70 this year.

If I was going to rip downhill or enter enduro races, I'd probably get the Ripmo or V4, but for me now, the Ripley LS is perfect. I am running a 150mm DVO Diamond fork and Fox DPX2 shock.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The V2 or V3 Ripley is a great bike. Will it be as poppy or playful as one of the newer 29rs? Maybe not but the difference isn't that dramatic especially for a rider that may not push the envelope. As for the newer geometry all the rage you might find the Ripley a bit nicer on XC-ish terrain or gradual climbs.

I've had both the V1 and V2 LS and where it shines is pedaling. My suggestion would be to change the cranks to 170s to counteract the low bottom bracket. Pedal strikes are my main complaint with the LS.
    With where some of these guys are coming from, a 2017 bike would be great, people saying the bike one year or version later is "twice as good" are simply lying, they are marginal improvements and a good bike setup from 2017 would be excellent. Unless there's some flaw that makes the bike break or unridable, go for it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    With where some of these guys are coming from, a 2017 bike would be great, people saying the bike one year or version later is "twice as good" are simply lying, they are marginal improvements and a good bike setup from 2017 would be excellent. Unless there's some flaw that makes the bike break or unridable, go for it.

Yeah, what he said. The Ripley is a great bike and will be a major step up from a 1999 Rockhopper.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As long as the suspension is not ragged out the 2017 or even better the new V3 2018 closeout mentioned above will serve you well, I have a Ripley LS and still love that bike no real burning desire to go to a V4.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm 6-4 so certain things stick out to me. I'm by no means an expert or a pro level rider either....and I'm constantly chasing kids too. Caveats aside, the Ripley was a bit of an odd bike even back in 2017. It was an odd sizing thing. Even then, their medium was equivalent to someone elses small often. The XL was a joke for a taller guy (I was interested in one).

So I think that Ripley v2 is/was great for some people...but I would def try out some other 2017 bikes that aren't so short. Fwiw I think Ibis adjusted nicely without going overboard too on some of their newer bikes. Ripmo is a hell of a nice ride when I've ridden it.

As a tall guy I also think that many of these new bikes are getting too long. We already have giant minion tires, amazing suspension, slack HTA and 29er wheels...all of that equals loads of stability. I don't think we need more stability via these super long wheelbases and extra reach on top of that...it comes with some downsides for sure.

That v2 Ripley is a nice bike but its used so odds are, your going to need to work on it a bit and the wear items will need replacing sometime soon I'm guessing. Suspension overhaul (does that mean a full service including damper or just changing the oil?) is nice tho. Again, I'm not an expert mechanic but stuff wears out, BB need replacing etc. Not always huge cash but its something to consider. Dinged up/used carbon worries me a bit too.

FWIW, for the money, I'd personally go for something like the new Marin Rift Zone (yeah one of those new longer bikes, I know). The new 12sp shimano SLX drive train looks awesome and shimano's cheaper brakes are really nice too. 2600$ and you get a new bike, with a pretty sweet component stack, warranty and geometry. It'll be more forgiving on the downs too making it a bit more versatile, IMO at least. Its not going to climb as well as that Ripley. Nothings perfect but its a nice option.

You might jump on the small and the medium demo them to see which you like best. It's a fairly long bike as well so definitely could like the small better.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...-shredder.html

mtbr member
    I'm overhauling the suspension on my Ripley right now. Pretty cool how the eccentrics work. Bearing swap is easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'm overhauling the suspension on my Ripley right now. Pretty cool how the eccentrics work. Bearing swap is easy.
    Honestly that's part of the appeal for me with the Pre V4 Ripleys as well. Great riding bikes and the design of the eccentrics makes it a one of a kind in the form department.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son