Advice for a new MTB in Australia?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Advice for a new MTB in Australia?

Hey guys, not sure if you've got same bikes in the USA. My budged s around $AUD 900.

Have this choice at the moment:
    Merida big nine 150 Large
    Merida big nine 100 XL
    CUBE Aim SL XL 29"
    CUBE Analog XL 29".

Which one is the most famous from those? Also, I'm 186cm tall, merida states that I can use either, Large (goes up to 187cm) or Large, starts at 180cm and goes past 190's. Tried them both, couldn't notice any difference. But it was only for a 5 minutes drive around the shop. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    6'1" and you need to measure your actual inseam. Long legs means shorter torso and you can size down. Or the opposite with short legs.
    Take the bike outside and go into ditches and on the grass for your test ride.
    The reach on the Meridas is too short. You'd need a stupid long stem. You need an XXL 150. It has a better fork with rebound damping and metal bushings inside. But not air.

The Cubes also have stupid short reach plus long chainstays that make the bike turn slow.

I'd keep looking for more current slack head tube angle geo with longer reach and shorter chainstays.
    Like this one. Also has an air fork. And wide 29mm inner dimension rim wheels.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod173151

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    6'1" and you need to measure your actual inseam. Long legs means shorter torso and you can size down. Or the opposite with short legs.
    Take the bike outside and go into ditches and on the grass for your test ride.
    The reach on the Meridas is too short. You'd need a stupid long stem. You need an XXL 150. It has a better fork with rebound damping and metal bushings inside. But not air.

The Cubes also have stupid short reach plus long chainstays that make the bike turn slow.

I'd keep looking for more current slack head tube angle geo with longer reach and shorter chainstays.
    Like this one. Also has an air fork. And wide 29mm inner dimension rim wheels.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod173151
    Thanks for a reply mate. Not sure what youíre talking about with those short reach and long stems. Look, I used to ride a merida matts xc 300d 2010 26Ē xl but back in years frames were bigger and 29Ē not so common. Canít really test any bike on the grass. The shop is along the road and no grass around for kms.. Iím obviously calculating my next bike size according to what the manufacturer says and merida is 178-190 for large, 188-196 for xl.
    By the way, what about the cube talon 2 29er? Cube as well puts me in Large chart.

Sneaker man
    Depends where you are? Merida and Cube wouldn't be that common in the US, but then they arn't that common here in OZ either. There has to be more bike stores around, if there isn't a Giant store somewhere near you must be in the middle of nowhere (they seem to be more common that Maccas)...

stick in your location and have at it:
    https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/mo...most_expensive
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Do you have hills in Australia?

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Do you have hills in Australia?
    LOL, a few years ago we were driving from Sydney to the Blue Mountains... driving along, tum te tum... suddenly we were in the Blue Mountains...I'm thinking are these the foothills or something, nope the "Mountains".
    Went to the Snowy Mountains this year, that was some actual up, but nothing compared to real "Mountains".
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHash View Post
    Thanks for a reply mate. Not sure what youíre talking about with those short reach and long stems. Look, I used to ride a merida matts xc 300d 2010 26Ē xl but back in years frames were bigger and 29Ē not so common. Canít really test any bike on the grass. The shop is along the road and no grass around for kms.. Iím obviously calculating my next bike size according to what the manufacturer says and merida is 178-190 for large, 188-196 for xl.
    By the way, what about the cube talon 2 29er? Cube as well puts me in Large chart.
    Those bikes have geometry from years ago. Their recommendations are crap because everyone else has moved on. Reach is a measurement that helps show you how much cockpit space you have. Its how close you are to the bars. Those bikes give you less of that than most everything else. So you'll be crammed into the space with less ability to move around to shift your weight. You'll be uncomfortable on long rides without a 100mm+ stem to give you room. The stem holds the bars and fixes them to the fork steerer tube. 50mm or so is more the current norm.

Just walk away from those bikes. You can find better used.

You don't need grass. Ride a bike off the road over any bumpy terrain in your area. Stand on the pedals and move around to see how it handles. Ask shops about free demo days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Just walk away from those bikes. You can find better used.

Ok cool, thanks for the explanation. So how do I know what reach do I need? I mean how long does it need to be? That bike youíve linked from chainreaction is nice but Iíd have to pay $150 for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Depends where you are? Merida and Cube wouldn't be that common in the US, but then they arn't that common here in OZ either. There has to be more bike stores around, if there isn't a Giant store somewhere near you must be in the middle of nowhere (they seem to be more common that Maccas)...

stick in your location and have at it:
    https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/mo...most_expensive
    Yes thereís giant next to me. Will have a look at those. Have to look at geometry now for a longer reach

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Reach depends on your inseam. 460mm would be a low end to try out. You can test ride bikes out of your budget and use the geo to help determine what your size is.
    Saving a small amount to get a bike you'll replace pretty fast once you're riding costs more in the long run, im experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is there any formula or sort of? My inseam is 88cm

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not totally. Bikes with different geo ride and are aimed at different terrains and speeds.

34.6" inseam imo you're trending towards a bit shorter torso so less reach. That's an actual inseam not pants size.
    Demo events at trail sites are a good place to get a feel for bike size differences.
    When you look at the sizing for current popular bikes you can see what reach is listed for your dimensions.
    About 460 reach would be my low starting point. XC bikes generally get less reach than longer travel enduro models from the same manufacturer. Compare a Scott Spark 910 L with a 910 Ransom L. Plug your dimensions in. Look at the reach numbers.
    https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...icle=269755006
    https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...ansom-910-bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey mate also check out rotorburn which is a more localised mtb forum.

This ones great for large amounts of world wide info but rotorburn does Australia local better.

My advice would be look for a 2nd hand bike or perhaps one of the direct consumer model like bicycles online. Also remember that components can upgraded when replaced - the frame size and wheel size will be always as chosen.