Advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Advice

mtbr member

Advice

Hello all, new to the forum and have a basic question I expect ya'll get all the time.

But here goes;

I am 48 (6'5", 38 inch inseam - so the 29ers really fit me well with a 21 inch frame), used to ride a lot (15 years ago), I have a 10 year old Stumpjumper and want to get something new and get back into riding, mainly for fitness (no I did not turn into a couch potato, but need something to get me back in tip top shape).

Want to move up to a much newer bike, 29er and am considering an SS setup for both simplicity and to make me work a bit harder than I will with a fully geared bike.

There is a local shop with a Trek GF Rig for $1,469 (regulated price on 2011 models - same everywhere here). I really did not want to spend that much (hoping for sub $1,000) but I know myself and I will be swapping out components pretty quickly on a sub $1,000 bike.

I really like the look and setup of the Rig, but know you guys live on these bikes and will give me good input.

I have built (back in the day) bikes from the frame up, but really do not want to do that now. Just want a good bike that will last and get me back into riding.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    buy it & ride

mtbr member
    So I guess that is a thumbs up on this bike?

Any other suggestions or is it best in class for this price range?

poser Administrator
    there are a goodly amount of ready to ride single speeds but ultimately you will need to find a dealer that carries them. Haro, Redline, Raleigh to name a few all have nicely regarded singlespeed that come equipped nicely for a good price, in the range you are looking for.

As others mentioned the Rig is also highly regarded and Trek/Gary Fisher is a standup kinda company if you have any problems, so try one, if you like it buy it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Since i double posted I will also say that I ride a single speed Salsa El Mariachi as my only bike. I love the work out, I love the simplicity and I love the new take it gives me on old trails. That said I also keep around an x9 shifter, cable and derailleur to swap on when I feel like getting geared for trips to the mountains or whatever. That is a nice option to keep in mind when buying a single speed, although many, Rig included I think, can swap the drive drop out for one with a hanger on it and you can then run a full length housing shifter and derailleur for some 1x9 action.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 04-08-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Enthusiast
    I'm 49, but not so tall as you. I like the Fisher geometry. I will also echo earlier statements that Fisher (Trek, really) is a standup brand. Fisher has done a lot to push 29ers into the mainstream.

On the single-speed issue, I bought one last year and ride it some. I've discovered that I work my upper body much more due to the fair bit of standing and pulling on the bars that I have to do to get up the hills. I'm not selling my geared bike, but I do like the closer-to-full-body workout that I get from the singlespeed. Plus, there is the sheer simplicity of just hopping on the bike and going.

mtbr member
    I would def spend the extra $300-$400 now. Your'ge going to regret it in the long run if you try to save it. It will cost you way more to upgrade down the road. Plus you'll enjoy riding the bike now and not haveing to swap out parts. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jonathan, that is exactly what I wanted to hear about the SS. Aside from the greatness of the simplicity, it seems that it will work your body much harder (which us older guys need). Give me a low gear and I will use it - I am lazy!

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger on a Trek Rig this afternoon. Pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the help folks.

Now if I can just slip it past the wife....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a 2010 Rig. Fantastic bike, you will love it. Same size and age as yourself. I found I needed to get wider bars with 30 mm riser. This put the bars the same height as the seat for me, easier on my old back and less weight on the front. Wider resulted in less effort on the climbs. I also went to a rigid carbon fork, takes the bike to another level yet. Go fully rigid! Now you have some upgrades to slip past the wife as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0