Adjustable 100-120mm 29er Forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Adjustable 100-120mm 29er Forks

Hi there,

I have a Tallboy on the build, and am still making a choice on forks. My initial thoughts were to just go with a 100mm Reba XX with lockout, but now I am looking for something with a little more flexibility as a possibility.

What forks model/brand has adjustable travel 29er forks? I am looking at something like a 90-120mm (remote preferred).

mtbr member
    I have a Tallboy as well..... and was in the same delema.

I bought a 120mm FIT Terralogic based on the fact that if I want less travel I can just drop in a spacer... You can usually reduce the travel somehow, but rarely will a fork let you increase it...

BUT I will say this:

Even at 120mm I hit my pedals a lot more frequently than on my other bikes, I cannot imagine lowering the bike much more. I suppose if I were going to race it on a flatter non-technical course I might consider going down to 100mm... but as of 8 months of riding I do not feel the need.

Hope this helps.
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Bikebling has a Reba w/U-Turn (90-120) for $750.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Should you like a Fox, for 2011 they have the Talas F29 which features 95-120mm adjustable travel.

Its a two point adjust so you either have 95mm or 120mm of travel .

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_TALAS_29

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade
    I have a Tallboy as well..... and was in the same delema.

I bought a 120mm FIT Terralogic based on the fact that if I want less travel I can just drop in a spacer... You can usually reduce the travel somehow, but rarely will a fork let you increase it...

BUT I will say this:

Even at 120mm I hit my pedals a lot more frequently than on my other bikes, I cannot imagine lowering the bike much more. I suppose if I were going to race it on a flatter non-technical course I might consider going down to 100mm... but as of 8 months of riding I do not feel the need.

Hope this helps.
    +1. I've got a medium Tallboy with a 2011 120-95 Talas, and have never used the reduced travel setting off-road. Pedal strikes are a minor annoyance at 120, but I suspect they'd be frequent at 95. Bike steers great as is. The Talas with FIT and Kashima is a terrific fork, first Fox I've ever gotten full travel on, but I could have gone with the Float and saved $ and a little weight.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    over the years I've found that adjustable length forks dont get adjusted enought to make it worthwhile. You usually play around with the height for a couple of weeks untill you find your sweet spot and then they remain in that position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Have people noticed a decline in their climbing and general handling ability by going down the 120mm road? I love my climbing (however, I will be using 2x10 on this bike, so when climbs get really silly, I will be hiking up them anyway).

On the other hand however, I think that 120mm will give me some much needed confidence on descents. Descents would have to be my area that needs the largest improvement.

Another thing to think about is that I will be using this bike for Adventure racing. So coupled with a heavy pack, and very long times racing (24hrs+), the 120mm might give me some forgiveness on the trails when I start making some fatigue related mistakes.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by a.brasington
    Have people noticed a decline in their climbing and general handling ability by going down the 120mm road? I love my climbing (however, I will be using 2x10 on this bike, so when climbs get really silly, I will be hiking up them anyway).

On the other hand however, I think that 120mm will give me some much needed confidence on descents. Descents would have to be my area that needs the largest improvement.

Another thing to think about is that I will be using this bike for Adventure racing. So coupled with a heavy pack, and very long times racing (24hrs+), the 120mm might give me some forgiveness on the trails when I start making some fatigue related mistakes.
    raising the front end will slacken the head angle, and raise the BB the slacker HA will result is slower steering. I went to a 130mm on my old bike and hated the steering so much that I sold the fork and went back to 100mm. It depends on what the bike was designed for and what you like

mtbr member

tallboy fork

i have an xl tallboy with a fox 120. the steering does get wonky when the climbing gets really steep. the bike came with a 100 reba team i may go back to that. have had the bike for two months now and have never used the last inch of travel. everybody is different. if i had the choice i would have the adjustable fork. best of both worlds.
    good luck
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTILLER
    i have an xl tallboy with a fox 120. the steering does get wonky when the climbing gets really steep. the bike came with a 100 reba team i may go back to that. have had the bike for two months now and have never used the last inch of travel. everybody is different. if i had the choice i would have the adjustable fork. best of both worlds.
    good luck
    The Fox 120mm forks are usually capable of being internally reduced to 100mm or 80mm. I don't own one but have been researching and I THINK I'm correct. You might ask some of the more knowledgeable Fox owners on these here forums before you switch it out. That is, if you like the fork. By all means, switch back to the Reba if you like it better

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Correct on the Fox 120...spacers can take it down to 100 or 80. Not exactly a remote option...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTILLER
    i have an xl tallboy with a fox 120. the steering does get wonky when the climbing gets really steep.
    That's not my experience at all. My Tallboy with the fork set at 120 is the best technical climbing bike I've ever had, even on relatively long, super steep stuff when perched on the tip of the saddle. I do run a relatively long stem (110mm), which helps me stay forward and weight the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What size frame?

Quote Originally Posted by bde1024
    That's not my experience at all. My Tallboy with the fork set at 120 is the best technical climbing bike I've ever had, even on relatively long, super steep stuff when perched on the tip of the saddle. I do run a relatively long stem (110mm), which helps me stay forward and weight the front wheel.
    bde1024 what size is your frame and how tall are you? I have a medium frame, and at 5-9 tall, I border on the top edge of this frame size. I run a 110 mm stem, and like the climbing on my F29, 100mm Fox fork. Researching whether it would be better handling bike on a 120mm fork. Front does seem a little steep when on steep descents. What is experience with handling as well as climbing on Tallboy with 120mm fork? (vs. 100)
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kindacreeky
    bde1024 what size is your frame and how tall are you? I have a medium frame, and at 5-9 tall, I border on the top edge of this frame size. I run a 110 mm stem, and like the climbing on my F29, 100mm Fox fork. Researching whether it would be better handling bike on a 120mm fork. Front does seem a little steep when on steep descents. What is experience with handling as well as climbing on Tallboy with 120mm fork? (vs. 100)
    I'm also 5'9" with fairly normal proportions. I had a chance to try a friend's large Tallboy (with 120 mm fork) before buying this frame, and would probably have been OK with a large and shorter stem, but it didn't feel quite as nice as the medium. As I noted above, I love the handling and climbing of the medium Tallboy with the fork set at 120. I ride in CT, where the trails tend to be pretty twisty with lots of roots and rock gardens. I never felt the need to use the 95 setting on my talas, and also suspect that a lower bb would result in too many pedal strikes for my taste. Not sure if your fork can be set at 120, but if it can, I'd certainly give it a try. You can always put it back if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My present fork is fixed at 100mm

Thanks for the input. Nice to also hear from someone my same size that got this size frame.

I had read brief comments that the Tallboy handled better with the 120 fork than the 100. So I had been considering the a longer fork, then thought about the Talas 95/120. Been wanting to go to 15mm thru axle as well.

I ride near Nashville, Tennessee. Our trails here locally are pretty smooth with some roots and a some cobble. One trail is all rocks, but I don't ride it too much. Prefer the flow. My favorite (but less frequently ridden) trail is Raccoon Mtn near Chattanooga, and is a combination of fast flow, and smooth boulders. I have no doubt the 120 would be better there. The trails around Nashville, are tighter and twistier so the 100mm works well here.

I may get the Talas, but suspect that I might dial in the 120 and never change it. Only minor weight penalty.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

Members who have read this thread: 0