mtbr member
    May 2008

Acceptable, cheap 29er?

While I typically buy high quality bikes, I now live in FL where trails are limited and bikes fall apart quickly here from the elements or get vandalized or stolen. So for my next bike I'm considering going ultra cheap.

I saw the Schwinn Taff or Boundary, and the Mongoose XR-PRO from Walmart. Reviews are mixed but for the limited amount of trail riding I do here, they look like they may fit my need for a cheap 29er.

Does anyone have an opinion on these or could recomend any others? I'd love to stay it the $200-300 range. I know that doesn't get much, but I'm going to be doing very limited riding on it and I don't want to spend a lot or bring any of my good bikes here.

Thanks!

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
    While I typically buy high quality bikes, I now live in FL where trails are limited and bikes fall apart quickly here from the elements or get vandalized or stolen. So for my next bike I'm considering going ultra cheap.

I saw the Schwinn Taff or Boundary, and the Mongoose XR-PRO from Walmart. Reviews are mixed but for the limited amount of trail riding I do here, they look like they may fit my need for a cheap 29er.

Does anyone have an opinion on these or could recomend any others? I'd love to stay it the $200-300 range. I know that doesn't get much, but I'm going to be doing very limited riding on it and I don't want to spend a lot or bring any of my good bikes here.

Thanks!
    Or you might do slightly better with a Bikes Direct 29er option. Shipping is included in the price. They have a Motobecane for $269 with Shimano and Suntour components.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...qMwQAvD_BwE#p1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    there are no new bikes that will hold up to any sort of trail riding in the price range. they stuff they sell at Walmart is utter junk. if you just want to go for the occasional spin around the block with the kids, dirt-cheap bikes like that would be fine. half of the problem with bikes that cheap is that they are not assembled by bike mechanics. big-box sporting goods stores usually don't pay attention to assembly quality, so hubs are out of adjustment, spokes are loose, derailleur hangers are bent.

however, the used market should have tons of good options for you in that price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    given the climate and vandal ..etc dangers.. you may want to look at keeping the bike (whatever you get inside..) there are various clever ways to wall mount ..etc a bike for inside storage..

back when I lived in Seattle I had some friends that intentionally really poorly repainted their pretty expensive nice bike frames to try to fool thieves into overlooking them. This yielded "mixed" results honestly..now a days you could probably do it with something like platidip that could be removed it you wanted I suppose?

I would agree with others that them Walmart bikes aren't going to cut it... for mtb.. for casual riding about maybe..

if you do get one and your mechanic skills aren't higher level.. you'll probably want to pay a local bike shop for set up / safety check.. as walmart bikes can be pretty badly assembled.

here is one cheap bike $420~ (27.5+ not 29er.. but ??) that has seen a number of pretty positive reviews from youtuber's (kevcentral, daily mtb rider ..etc)

Nishiki Colorado
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...nshkclrdcmpprf

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Why a "29er"? Do you want rigid, hardtail, or full sus? You could probably have some fun on a freestyle/bmx/cruiser type bike that may or may not be cheap and may or may not be attractive to thieves, but it probably wouldn't be a "29er," which is really not much of a description.

Also, other than sand, I'm not sure Florida is any worse than many other places, or really anyplace, as far as "the elements" or thieves. Every place has weather and terrain challenges that can be injurious to bikes. Hell, a lot of places have sand, too. Every place has thieves, too.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Or you might do slightly better with a Bikes Direct 29er option. Shipping is included in the price. They have a Motobecane for $269 with Shimano and Suntour components.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...qMwQAvD_BwE#p1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

slow
    I'd second the suggestion to check the used market, especially if you have some mechanical skills. If you take your time and shop carefully, you can get good quality for a low price on bikes that are no longer popular. I have less than $1k combined total in my 3 older high-end 29'er hardtails:
    2012 Niner AIR9 RDO with SID,
    2008 Jamis Dragon with Reba
    2008 Felt Nine with Reba

I still maintain them well and I'm careful about securing them, but if something was to happen to one of them it would certainly not mean financial ruin.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't absolutely need a 29er, but I'm pretty tall and of all my bikes the 29er always fit and rode the best for me. I wil be using this for a lot of street riding too, probably more street than trails overall, and the 29er tends to feel a lot more zippy. To be more specific, I live in Miami Beach, so I'm dealing with salt water, humidy, and people who can steal bikes in the blink of an eye.

The trails closest here are all man made and not very rocky. I don't take jumps or hammer the bike very hard. I've owned cheap bikes before out here. I know I'll have to replace the pedals and seat right away, as those generally break in the first hour of riding, but I usually swap those out even on an expensive bike anyway. Everything else usually holds up fairly well. Any major problems usually come from a poorly assembled bike, so that is probably reason enough not to get one assembled from Walmart. I was going to have it delivered, build it myself, then take it in for a professional tuneup after a few weeks of use.

I was also looking at Dicks, which Iíve purchased a cheap bike from before. It wasnít terrible, but got stolen within a month. They have a GT Aggressor, which gets pretty decent reviews. Itís not a 29er, but otherwise the price and features look good. One of my first bikes was a GT, and I always enjoyed riding it. Depending on the location of the Dicks it could be assembled by a skilled bike technician, or a high school kid whoís never touched a bike before. But if you happen to get a poorly assembled bike, you can keep bringing it back and they usually have a legit bike pro come in periodically to deal with bikes the staff canít handle. Iíve been checking used bikes, but itís hard to find my size all the time and the bikes I find are generally pretty overpriced IMHO. I looked at Bikes Direct but never knew whether those were good quality or not either.

mtbr member
    Dick's, Bikes Direct, and a few other sporting goods stores at least have decent bikes. Target, Walmart, Toy stores just carry junk that will waste your time and money. I can't help you with salt water, but look up some old Seth's Bike Hacks videos from when he lived in Florida.

you can get a bike stolen anywhere. the key is that 99% of the time, it's because you did something stupid with the bike like leaving it unattended outside of a store, leaving it in the back of a pickup truck or on a bike rack. most bikes are stolen because it was convenient to do so. if there are a dozen bikes locked up against a fence, the one that gets stolen will probably be the one with the flimsiest lock. don't do stupid things and you will be as unlikely to have a bike stole from you as anyone else.

wheel size has nothing to do with how a bike fits. I can see how extremely tall people (like over 6'6", giant sized) might benefit from proportional wheel size for a certain riding style, but the rest is about the frame size and how where it puts your weight relative to where the tires touch the ground.

how tall are you? some of us are pretty good at perusing Craigslist for deals. Pinkbike is another one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ebay and craigs list brother.....or look for a bike collective in your area

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Can't attest to any bbs bikes myself but if your looking for reviews for bbs bikes "big box store" google bigboxbikes and you'll find a forum that leads down that path. I live in pompano and will say being man made trails down here doesn't mean squat I would not take a bbs bike on anything we have besides a fire road.

Check out performance bike as they have a few models under 400 if not look on Facebook for south Florida mtb classifieds there's a few bikes on there at the moment.

Cycologist
    Fuji Nevada 29 1.9 Hardtail Bike 2018 for $324 from Chain Reaction seems like a good deal. Free shipping and they pay customs. Get an additional $10 off if you create an account. Performance has them for $399.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You can find 8+ year old 29er 3x9 Stumpjumpers or trek/gary fisher xcals for $500-$600 (bicycle blue book says $350-ish, -good luck with that!!), with a real good quality shock. Those are actual good quality bikes that don't weigh a lot, and are sometimes tubeless ready. I'd look for one of those.
    Like stated above consider rattlecanning it, but keep it locked up and don't leave it in unsafe places.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Fuji Nevada 29 1.9 Hardtail Bike 2018 for $324 from Chain Reaction seems like a good deal. Free shipping and they pay customs. Get an additional $10 off if you create an account. Performance has them for $399.
    That looks like a nice bike, nobody has my size though

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    You can find 8+ year old 29er 3x9 Stumpjumpers or trek/gary fisher xcals for $500-$600 (bicycle blue book says $350-ish, -good luck with that!!), with a real good quality shock. Those are actual good quality bikes that don't weigh a lot, and are sometimes tubeless ready. I'd look for one of those.
    Like stated above consider rattlecanning it, but keep it locked up and don't leave it in unsafe places.
    Been looking at used bikes for a while, doesn't seem like it's worth the effort though. Most of the nice bikes are in the $1k range. The ones in the $200-400 range are in rough shape. Also, I'm 6-4 so my frame size doesn't come up ofter either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cheap, simple, bullet proof, did I say cheap? Nashbar 29er single speed on sale for $209.99 with FREE shipping! A very decent bike. You'll have to go through all the bearing adjustments. Did I say bulletproof? Cost effective....... A real basic, no frills bike
    https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...n-bike-nb-ss29
    They are marked at $299 with a 30% off sale with free shipping. In sizes 15-17-19-21 That's $209 delivered to your door!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Unapomer View Post
    Cheap, simple, bullet proof, did I say cheap? Nashbar 29er single speed on sale for $209.99 with FREE shipping! A very decent bike. You'll have to go through all the bearing adjustments. Did I say bulletproof? Cost effective....... A real basic, no frills bike
    https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...n-bike-nb-ss29
    They are marked at $299 with a 30% off sale with free shipping. In sizes 15-17-19-21 That's $209 delivered to your door!
    Def a great price, but can't do single speed, or that color. Do people really buy single speed mountain bikes?? Thanks!

Bikesexual
    Def a great price, but can't do single speed, or that color. Do people really buy single speed mountain bikes?? Thanks!
    Here BD again, their bikes are fine for what you are describing.

Have to double check their build but they roll fine. I started on their 26 version, and I have their SS. Bars are narrow, and pedals will need to be replaced ($20 DMR flat pedals)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

slow
    A quick search for 29ers on the Boston Craigslist brings up little, but in surrounding communities there are a few options, if you don't mind a bit of a drive:
    2014 Scott Scale $300
    https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/...735086722.html
    2013 Trek Mamba $400
    https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/...746625233.html
    Specialized Hardrock $255
    https://worcester.craigslist.org/bik...732709879.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a GT Agressor from Dick's. For $299 I think it was a great deal for what it has. I don't think I'm going to have to swap out any parts at the start, everything looks and works pretty well so far. I talked the bike tech there before I bought it and he seemed really knowledgeable about bikes so I felt comfortable with him building and servicing the bike. He pulled a box out and build one on the spot for me and took it for a test ride.

Dicks offers a 3 year service plan for $49. That include 2 tuneups a year and they will fix any warranty issues or service issues for no charge. Most bike shops charge $60 just for 1 tune up, so I thought that was a great plan. And if the bike wasnít assembled properly I could have taken it back as many times as I wanted to have it done right.

The bike is pretty solid for the price point. Assembly was great. Rides nice, fits my size well. Haven't done any trail riding yet, so that will be the true test, but I'm pretty confident it will do well for the limited amount of riding I do here.

mtbr member
    Do people really buy single speed mountain bikes?? Thanks!
    I am about to blow your frigging mind!

https://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/