9mm thru axle QR- Mtbr.com
    the mountian is within
    Nov 2004

9mm thru axle QR

I see lots of this years 29 forks are standard QR.So a 9mm thru axle QR will work if you have the hub for it.So.....
    (1)will the thru axle make a big stiffness change?
    (2)are there any affordable 9mm thru hubs?
    (3)10mm thru axle rear-same questions.

I have not for some reason seen many of either-just some Spec.fronts on Stumjumpers-didnt get a good testing-but that was in the low country SC.Now im in the Wv mountians-and its 10degrees,snow,ice,blah,blah,blah-time for building dream bikes......

Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    there is no 9mm thru axle - its just a standard QR. pretty much all 100mm hubs will work with a 9mm QR.

thru axle's for the front are only available in 20mm and now the new 15mm
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Former Bike Wrench
    Specialized/Ritchey had the Skraxle...which was a 9mm through axle QR

Not sure anyone is doing this anymore

I had a couple of wheelsets with these and it made quite a difference...at least on those old 28mm legged forks

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    DT does,but it is $$$$
    im holding hope for a cheaper one-and yes,i checked Hope already-rear 10mm front naw.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    there is no 9mm thru axle - its just a standard QR. pretty much all 100mm hubs will work with a 9mm QR.

Ahhh...are you suuure?

A standard QR is 5mm. Very few front hubs will work with a 9mm QR.

The 9mm from DT Swiss (and I imagine the Specy stuff is DT Swiss) is definitely a step up from a 5mm QR. It may not be a true thru axle, but it is gotta be stiffer than normal stuff.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Former Bike Wrench
    100% sure...the hub had no "axle"...just as a 20mm hub has no "axle"

The 9mm quick release was the axle, hence the name SKeweR AXLE...Skraxle

Former Bike Wrench
    Try E-bay for some Specialized front hubs, they used the Skraxle quite a bit on their bikes...both rim brake and disc

They called them "Stout" hubs

mtbr member
    DT Swiss currently makes them; they call it the RWS. See their page here

They also make a version that resembles a normal QR skewer (5mm axle). You still have the advantage of their tightening mechanism but lose the extra stiffness of the larger axle. See here

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Yep,we do the skinny RWS-it works-but i want fatties!
    No ebay-i have a shop-wont get into it about mailorder...
    This sounds like a thing that some Hub company should look at-a nice 80mm Reba with almost thru axle stiff-nice stuff!

mtbr member
    Do a search, this has been discussed before. DT Swiss sells 9mm thru bolt skewers for front wheels. They work with a standard dropout, but require a special hub (or hub modification ). Obviously, DT Swiss makes compatible hubs, and there are others. Hadley hubs can be converted with a kit. I am not sure what other options are available. I already have a Hope Pro 2 front hub, and Hope does not have endcaps to convert to the 9mm standard, so I made my own. Basically you just have to drill the endcaps open to 9mm to fit the skewer. I added the springs and collar to keep the skewer centered while mounting the wheel. Couple of pictures below. Use the search function, this has been discussed before!

Here is the skewer: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16375

DT Swiss hub: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=734

Hadley adapter: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=735
    Attached Images Attached Images

heckler
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino

d'oh! not quite correct - but i'm not the only one to point this out!

just converted my DT Swiss 240's hubs to the 9mm system on my sultan - only one ride in, but i did slightly notice an increase in stiffness - but very impressed by the system, so i just bought the 10mm rear version as well

warning - its not cheap.... hub adaptors where about 24 for each wheel, and the DT RWS are about 42 each - do the math
    Mythic Spitfire/Lynskey 29er/Orange 5/Turner Sultan/Cotic Soul/Brodie Ti Holeshot/GF Ferrous/Cotic Roadrat

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Hmm-i missed the Hadley.
    Ok real life examples of "is it alot better"?
    And how about the 10mm rear-does it stiff a flexy one up?

bikeny-the special hope caps-nice!

mtbr member
    i wonder if a bolt-on hub like this would work? If those bolts are 9mm you might be able to run the RWS through this hub

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you can find one Ritchey makes a wcs 28h disc hub that uses a 9mm axle.

mtbr member
    To the OP, yes if it's a pressed in bearing type hub they will usually accpet a 9/10mm solid type skewer like the DT RWS and YES it does make a big difference in steering feel and fork stiffness. As BikeNY showed with the Hope, I did similar and run the DT RWS 9mm on my Reba - I haven't done his fancy self centering setup yet though , HOPE currently offers 5mm and 20mm end caps for the front and 5mm, 10mm, 12mm end caps for the rear; they will actually be offering the 9mm end cap sometime in the very near future - they may already be available.

Yes, SpecialED uses the DT RWS 9mm on the front of the Stumpy 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Ahhh...are you suuure?

A standard QR is 5mm. Very few front hubs will work with a 9mm QR.

The 9mm from DT Swiss (and I imagine the Specy stuff is DT Swiss) is definitely a step up from a 5mm QR. It may not be a true thru axle, but it is gotta be stiffer than normal stuff.
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    A cheaper (and probably stiffer than a RWS) option is converting your hub to a bolt on. That's what I'm going to do with my XT front hub... The downside is that you have to use a wrench to take your wheel on or off... And carry a wrench with out. Which isn't that bad.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    100% sure...the hub had no "axle"...just as a 20mm hub has no "axle"

The 9mm quick release was the axle, hence the name SKeweR AXLE...Skraxle
    You are correct, but I was not quoting you...if you were answering me with the 100% sure part.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny

Where did you find the springs and collar? My wife has that DT skewer on her bike, but she hates it b/c it is not self centering.

Former Bike Wrench
    I did this on my Kona Stinky as having a QR hub on a 150mm fork and a 8" rotor was a little un-nerving.

Worked great, XT Hub with a heat treated solid axle...but of course, had to carry a 15mm box wrench with me.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of doing this on a Sun Disc Jockey hub. Did you just go to the hardware store and buy a 9mm bolt and some nuts? Is it really that simple? If so, that would rule. I think the solid 9mm axle up front would stiffen things up a bit over my current QR setup.

Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    I'm thinking of doing this on a Sun Disc Jockey hub. Did you just go to the hardware store and buy a 9mm bolt and some nuts? Is it really that simple? If so, that would rule. I think the solid 9mm axle up front would stiffen things up a bit over my current QR setup.

Thanks.
    No. You need to get a threaded axle for your hub. Most Shimano hubs are easy as solid threaded axles are readily available.

I have no clue what will work in your hub.

And the correct term for the 9mm QR of the main discussion is through BOLT, not through AXLE.

A through axle is threaded into and/or clamped by the fork (or frame). The axle is not included with the hub. Comes with the fork (or frame).

A through bolt fits in "standard" type dropouts and the axle clamps to the fork (or frame).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    OK...I thought the hardware store seemed "iffy".

So, if I can determine that my front hub is compatible, I will need a 9mm through bolt. The bolt will act as the axle essentially, and the bolt will have threads on the end so as to tighten it in the fork's dropouts. In essence, it would attach to the fork much the same way some singlespeed ear hubs do...via the fixing bolts on the end of the axle.

I think I am following now.

My guess is that my hub will work. It is fairly simple in design...two removable end caps, one cartiridge bearing on each side, and the hollow axle through which the skewer goes. As long as I can remove the current hollow axle, I'm thinking that I'll be able to replace it with a longer, solid, threaded axle. Sound accurate?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    OK...I thought the hardware store seemed "iffy".

So, if I can determine that my front hub is compatible, I will need a 9mm through bolt. The bolt will act as the axle essentially, and the bolt will have threads on the end so as to tighten it in the fork's dropouts. In essence, it would attach to the fork much the same way some singlespeed ear hubs do...via the fixing bolts on the end of the axle.

I think I am following now.

My guess is that my hub will work. It is fairly simple in design...two removable end caps, one cartiridge bearing on each side, and the hollow axle through which the skewer goes. As long as I can remove the current hollow axle, I'm thinking that I'll be able to replace it with a longer, solid, threaded axle. Sound accurate?

Thanks!
    If the hollow axle's ID is large enough you may only need to drill out the end caps to 9mm to fit a through bolt.

A Yakima rack fork mount 9mm skewer may work
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the ideas.

When I looked at the hub internals, I noticed that the ED of the hollow axle is about 9mm (as best as my eye could tell in relation to the 5mm QR shaft). I think the ID of the hollow axle is 5mm, to accommodate the QR skewer. The end caps fit around the ED of the hollow axle...so that would be great in that I would not have to do any drilling or modifying of the end caps. The ends caps tighten on to the exterior of the hollow axle. For reference: http://www.sun-ringle.com/contentpages/mtb/hubs/xc.php5. Strange that the Disc Jockey hubs are listed as having a 10mm hollow axle. That is inconsistent with everything I've ever read about front hubs...hmmm.

From my estimation, I think I just need to find a solid, 9mm ED axle, that is long enough to fit in the fork's dropouts with room to spare for threads/bolts.

Single Speed Junkie
    http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/HadleyF9mmAxle.htm
    Is where I found a thru bolt axle. Converting the hubs was really easy as well. Now the front end feels a bit more solid so much so I picked up a second axle and converted another bike. Sure it is not a 20mm or even close, but a major step forward over a standard QR.

If you in NM I would be more than happy to put the end caps on the lathe machining it out for a 9mm axle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    anybody knoes if the DT Swiss 240s conversion kit works as well with Bonty x-lite hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It does. The Race Lite uses a DT Onyx and does not work without some significant modification. Race X Lite wheels do use the 240 hub and will work with the conversion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    The Race Lite uses a DT Onyx and does not work without some significant modification.
    And the Onyx do look remarkably similar to the Specialized Stout hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    It does. The Race Lite uses a DT Onyx and does not work without some significant modification. Race X Lite wheels do use the 240 hub and will work with the conversion.
    Any idea if this works on the Bonti Rhythm wheelsets, specifically the Comp version?

Thanks in advance for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a wheel built up with this system at home.

I'm positive it's a Novatec hub, I'll check when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheeler
    Any idea if this works on the Bonti Rhythm wheelsets, specifically the Comp version?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Does not. The Comps use a Formula made hub.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK
    And the Onyx do look remarkably similar to the Specialized Stout hubs
    Specialized has been using the Skaxle (a 9mm axle/QR skewer "through bolt") in the Stout hubs for many years. The design started at Ritchey when Specialized and Ritchey had a co-op agreement.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Does not. The Comps use a Formula made hub.
    That's what I figured. *sigh*

Thanks anyway for the prompt response!

mtbr member

It is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz
    Hmm-i missed the Hadley.
    Ok real life examples of "is it alot better"?
    And how about the 10mm rear-does it stiff a flexy one up?

bikeny-the special hope caps-nice!
    I have Hadleys 9mm front, 10mm rear and DT swiss RWS sqewers and it works wornders to stiffen the 5 spot. I wanted a light stiff 5inch fork so the Revelation with a 9mm TA was a heck of a lot beter option than the PIKE 20mm....
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Has anybody converted the Novatec 711 front hub to accomodate 9mm thru bolt?
    Thanks.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainerhq View Post
    Has anybody converted the Novatec 711 front hub to accomodate 9mm thru bolt?
    Thanks.
    GRAVE DIGGER

Did you ever figure out a way to make this work? Currently considering drilling out my end caps to fix a thru axle/9/10mm skewer

Members who have read this thread: 27