Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    I've run a 29x2.1 Kenda Klaw with the Dimension fork...no problem.
    Thanks for the tip! But I'd like to run a Nevegal upfront for the cush and all weather traction.
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

One One Inbred 69er

16" On One Inbred
    29" On One Rigid Carbon Fork

Compressed inbred.JPG
    Don't let your failures go to your heart and your successes go to your head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinjp
    My Carver 96er, still dialing it in.
    Are you running singlespeed - without tensioner? Cant tell from photo but it looks sweet. I have a ti version with sliding dropouts so an easy thing for me to do.

32:16?
    My Bike Blog (with kitesurfing and cameras as well)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

About my carver

Yup its a single speed at the moment. The aluminum ones have an EBB, so there is a tensioner, just not a the hub. Gearing was 36:19, then i was going to do a 12 hour race, so i swapped it for 34:19 and some more aggressive tires. Tomorrow I have a hill climb so it will be a 34:21 , and I'll put the Raven tires back on. But any way, its fun I may eventually put gears on it too.

These are some great bikes, picked it up on a whim and am really enjoying it.

What handlebars and length stem are you using ? I am thinking of ditching the risers for flat bars and picking up a 110mm stem .

Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinjp
    What handlebars and length stem are you using ? I am thinking of ditching the risers for flat bars and picking up a 110mm stem .
    Paul
    Using a ritchey stem (reversed) and my old Carbon Easton EC90 bars which have a slight rise - would be better to have flat bars but I had these from old bike .... and I have on-one mary on my klein SS so no point having even more sh*t sitting in a box unused.
    My Bike Blog (with kitesurfing and cameras as well)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Finally got around to turning my litech mag frame into a 96er...Been in the back of my mind for awhile now after reading about them here. I just bought a new fs bike to replace it so I figured no better time than now to try it out. Built it up over the past few days. Was my first wheel build so took quite a long time. I also screwed up when I entered my info into the spoke calculator and ended up with spokes that were too long... I ended up lacing 4 cross instead of 3 cross and they seem all right but there isn't a ton of thread engagement on the non disc side. I think they'll work but I'm still trying to decide if I should tear them apart and buy some shorter or longer spokes and redo it.

I went for a quick spin around on it after I got it built up tonight and It felt great...I did notice it was a little hard to keep the front end on the ground when climbing but it felt so quick and fun to ride. I've been riding with suspension so long I don't think I realized how much power it steals even if it's just on the front end. Still trying to decide what I'm going to do with the drivetrain on it, it's still got the 3x9 on it but i'm thinking about going single speed or atleast 1x9 with it. We'll see.

Posted a pic of the tire clearance between a surly 1x1 and Intense exdc lite 2.25 tire too...seems like plenty but I know when I was thining of the conversion i was a bit nervous about these things figured it might be good for others to see who are thinking of trying a 96er
    Attached Images Attached Images

President
    Sit on my face & tell me that you love me ...

NSBIKES 69er:

The stems a little bit to short (50mm, should be 80 mm)
    Not westauwant, westauwant!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    One more 69er, from Brazil !!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

For some odd reason, inserting an image isn't working for me. But there is a Pic at this address if the image doesn't show.
    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DO8P7cQD3...h/IMG_2169.JPG

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodi2259
    Posted a pic of the tire clearance between a surly 1x1 and Intense exdc lite 2.25 tire too...seems like plenty
    very nice&good that you think to put such a photo (crearance between the Intense exdc lite 2.25 tire and surly 1x1).
    but... the picture is bad. please, can you put another one, where you can see the gap, the clearance between the two of them?
    and also, the distance in milimeters, if you can?
    THANKS!
    compassion for all beings

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Type1Rider
    Santa Cruz Chameleon with Surly 1x1 Fork.
    nice looking bike!
    i am interested in Surly 1x1 Fork too.
    what tire is there? how much clearance between tire and bottom-crown is left?
    THANKS!
    compassion for all beings

75% Mountain cycle

Freak Bike

I love this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-my-69er.jpg  

mtbr member
    I don't think that I already posted this? Apologies if I have......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-hummingbird-6.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-hummingbird-3.jpg  

President
    Not westauwant, westauwant!

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

My Trek TF 69er

I've had this bike since mid 2008 and love it. Recently I also bought a 2008 HiFi 29er frame and have been swapping the parts back and forth to see if I like the 29er thing better, but just built up the 69er again yesterday. The HiFi 29 frame is likely going back on eBay where I got it... partly because I think it's a bit too small for me (a medium), but also because I think that THIS 69er is better than THAT 29er. I may try a different 29er frame that fits better to level the playing field a bit... then give it another head to head competition with the 69er

My 69er is fully customized. The only remaining stock part (other than the frame of course) is the front derailleur. I replaced every part with something better/lighter and even had the fork serviced and tuned by Suspension Experts in NC and the rear shock PUSHed and added a high volume air can to make it seem like it has more travel.

96er/69er Picture Thread-69er.jpg
    I read that on the internet.

I'd rather be riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    I've had this bike since mid 2008 and love it. Recently I also bought a 2008 HiFi 29er frame and have been swapping the parts back and forth to see if I like the 29er thing better, but just built up the 69er again yesterday. The HiFi 29 frame is likely going back on eBay where I got it... partly because I think it's a bit too small for me (a medium), but also because I think that THIS 69er is better than THAT 29er. I may try a different 29er frame that fits better to level the playing field a bit... then give it another head to head competition with the 69er

My 69er is fully customized. The only remaining stock part (other than the frame of course) is the front derailleur. I replaced every part with something better/lighter and even had the fork serviced and tuned by Suspension Experts in NC and the rear shock PUSHed and added a high volume air can to make it seem like it has more travel.
    40hills... Thanks for the update . I often wonder if the benefits of a 29er would outweigh the performance of my TF69er. Your report is reassuring that my love of this bike is still justified.

I recently changed out the stock 110mm stem for a 70mm one and was pleased that the ride was even better! Seems even more aggressive and stable at the same time. I also went with the shock eye needle bearing kit from Real World Cycling for the rear shock. It was a huge change for my stock RP2. I am now running about 15-20 PSI more air in the rear shock due to the decrease in friction from the spacers/bushings. It took a while to dial it in, but now I am very pleased with the outcome.

I like the idea of the Pushed rear shock with the high volume air canister. Did it make a big difference in the suspension? What kind of changes did you ask Push for when you sent it in?

What kinds of changes did you make to the fork? I changed my fork oil to a lighter weight Maxima oil in an attempt to get full use of the travel, but still it never sees that last inch of travel. I am still pretty happy with the F29 though in most situations.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Yep, the 69er can definitely be ridden aggressively. This bike blows away my HiFi 29 on fast downhills, no question about it... believe it or not. The steeper head angle of the 29er combined with the flexy long chain stays on the rear triangle make the rear wander out of sync with the front IMHO. The 69er holds its line much better.

I haven't heard about the needle bearing kit... I'll have to look into that. In addition to the ordinary fork service, I had them replace the bushings and seals (with Enduro), and they installed an adjustable blow-off valve. They also somehow made it so it uses more of its travel.

For the rear shock, I simply asked them to make it softer because I'm fairly light weight. I added the high volume can later. It definitely settles into its travel on hops and drops for a longer time, but I'm not sure it really makes the small bumps any softer.

EDIT: the shock I had PUSHed is an RP23 I bought on eBay.

I'll let you know if I ever make the switch to 29er, and what frame I'm on. The 29er has a smoother ride which is somewhat enticing, but the handling of the 69er is even more enticing.
    I read that on the internet.

I'd rather be riding!
    Here is the link to the thread for the Needle Bearings. It's a great idea and worked well for the TF69er with the RP2, but as you will see in the thread there are people having some problems with the fit right now on some frames.

Yeah, the enticing part of the 29er is the larger rear wheel. Even with the full suspension you can still tell that the 26" wheel is taking a lot more of a beating than the front wheel. I really wish we could fit 650B wheels on the back. That would be the best. I keep trying to put the tallest tires I can find on the rear to balance things out a little more. Right now I am running a Schwalbe Fat Albert. That leaves only about 3/8" clearance at the top seat stay.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    @68point5,

I have the same fork on my Haro Werks SS now. I picked up two of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's a few photos of my Ellsworth Moment 69'er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-p1020184.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Just finished building it up

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Custom 69er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by furnissj
    I like the color of that frame, you can never tell when it's dirty

Addict
    Crappy picture but a really fun bike!

sketchiness abounds...
    Quote Originally Posted by RENCRN8
    Crappy picture but a really fun bike!

I love that fork, gorgeous - esp. for a double crown... rest of the bike is pretty sweet as well. Guess the industry took a step forward with that one and now has taken 2 steps back. I'll enjoy my Beasley for now and hope they get their head on straight when I'm ready for another purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Set this up last night. Can't wait to take it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-guss.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Early big wheel bikes designed by English pioneer Geoff Apps. The first is a 700c x 47 tired bike dating from 1981. and the second a 650b bike from 1983. Both use Nokia Hakkapeliitta snow tires from Finland.

http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/history/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-geoff-apps-his-700c-x-47-wheeled-cleland-prototype.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-dscn4502.jpg  

sketchiness abounds...
    Lovin' those pioneer bikes, Graham! Keep 'em comin'

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMorris
    Set this up last night. Can't wait to take it out.
    Looks sweet, what fork is that? whats the axle to crown? The guss is a suspension corrected frame right?
    Bianchi San Jose commute/town duties and fixie trail riding. Bianchi C.U.S.S for days I feel like riding a MTN bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdirtykid
    Looks sweet, what fork is that? whats the axle to crown? The guss is a suspension corrected frame right?
    Thanks!
    The fork came off of a MUSS....GUSS's younger, steel sibling (thanks for the fork, dixie whiskey!). I believe the A2C is 420. I can measure it if you like.
    The GUSS came with a Reba Team, set at 85mm..so I yeah, I guess you could say it's suspension corrected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I love this bike so much already...

Put this together yesterday.

American classic 29" wheel in a Surly instigator fork.

It makes life so easy I might have to buy a smaller cog!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-penny-farthing.jpg  

sketchiness abounds...
    Cool dog!

Like your Voodoo as well...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

04 Liquid

here my rig for Bluff Point

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    My Inbred, easy to swap between 26 and 29 with this fork.
    I like this one.. And the photo is awesome..

mtbr member

69er GT Peace

Heres my ride. Phoned LBS for 29er front wheel and the guy tried to talk me out of it.
    He said it would change geometry etc.
    So ordered from Wiggle arrived in a week( thanks guys) no questions asked.

I like it....I like it alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-gt-peace-003.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-gt-peace-001.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-gt-peace-005.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-120911-005.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-gt-peace-002.jpg  

Last edited by Loz2e; 10-20-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Update with pic.

responsible zombie owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Loz2e View Post
    Heres my ride. Phoned LBS for 29er front wheel and the guy tried to talk me out of it.
    He said it would change geometry etc.
    You'd think the point of an LBS is to sell bike stuff to people who want it... and the point of converting to 69er is to change the geo.

Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy View Post
    You'd think the point of an LBS is to sell bike stuff to people who want it... and the point of converting to 69er is to change the geo.

Enjoy your ride!
    I tried to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible on my 9Ber conversion (converted from a 26er). Am I doing it wrong?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMorris View Post
    I tried to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible on my 9Ber conversion (converted from a 26er). Am I doing it wrong?
    How close did you keep the geometry? My 26" frame was spec'd as a 70.5 head angle with an 80/100mm fork. Common axle/crown measurement on a 100mm 26" fork is 475ish. With the 26" wheel the ground/crown measurement comes out to around 805mm (31.70in). Now, my Reba 29er fork set to 80mm has a a/c of 490ish. Add the 29er wheel and ground/crown is about 860mm (33.85in).

Stock 805 and 29er 860. 55mm= around 3-4 degree slack. The 650b in the rear helps out about 1- 1.5 degrees. I am around 67 degrees head angle now. Also increased BB height about 1 inch. I have a mild case of wheel flop (very slight, but, its there) which makes the steering a bit twitchy on uphills. No more twitchy than my 71 degree HA bike though. Might help if i was using a G2 fork for increased offset to normalize the amount of trail.

After saying all that, i prefer to ride my B9er. Rollover, comfort, fun factor all +'s. Climbing stability is = to my 26. My next frame will probably be a 69er to correct the trail with a more correct head angle. Its fun testing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy View Post

Enjoy your ride!
    Thanks I am glad I persisted. The ride is more "forgiving" when it gets a little rough. I am not an extreme thrillseaker, I just like getting out there and enjoying the ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got my 29er front wheel today, tyres should be here in a day or two. Can't wait to get it built up!

Will be going on a Giant XTC Composite SS.

Some really great looking bikes here, That Singular and Rocky Mountain look great. Looking forward to seeing what changes it makes to the ride!

mtbr member
    Kona Explosif with Surly 1x1 fork the big wheel just barely fits but keeps the goe just right. I really like the way this thing handles the steep stuff.

Pic by evdog
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005

Carver 96er

Carver 96er, fun fun ride! Realized most of the bits for one were on hand. Be spending more time with this one this fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Carver 96er, fun fun ride! Realized most of the bits for one were on hand. Be spending more time with this one this fall.

Looks fast!

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Looks fast!
    Reasonably light as well, just under 23#
    Adrenaline junkie.
    2x "big c" and enjoying life.

mtbr member
    Nice color!

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by keene1 View Post
    Put this together yesterday.

American classic 29" wheel in a Surly instigator fork.

It makes life so easy I might have to buy a smaller cog!
    Nice. I am building up a voodoo hoodoo 1x9 and thing of makeing it a 69er. Please update how it rides.....

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member

GF Sugar 2

Last winters project.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    How close did you keep the geometry? My 26" frame was spec'd as a 70.5 head angle with an 80/100mm fork. Common axle/crown measurement on a 100mm 26" fork is 475ish. With the 26" wheel the ground/crown measurement comes out to around 805mm (31.70in). Now, my Reba 29er fork set to 80mm has a a/c of 490ish. Add the 29er wheel and ground/crown is about 860mm (33.85in).

Stock 805 and 29er 860. 55mm= around 3-4 degree slack. The 650b in the rear helps out about 1- 1.5 degrees. I am around 67 degrees head angle now. Also increased BB height about 1 inch. I have a mild case of wheel flop (very slight, but, its there) which makes the steering a bit twitchy on uphills. No more twitchy than my 71 degree HA bike though. Might help if i was using a G2 fork for increased offset to normalize the amount of trail.

After saying all that, i prefer to ride my B9er. Rollover, comfort, fun factor all +'s. Climbing stability is = to my 26. My next frame will probably be a 69er to correct the trail with a more correct head angle. Its fun testing.
    Sorry for the late reply....I think I kept the geometry pretty darn close.
    I followed the following formula: original fork a2c minus sag (if applicable) minus 31mm (difference in the radius of a 29er wheel vs a 26 wheel) = a2c of replacement fork. So, in my case it was: 458mm (85mm Reba Team)-11-31= 416mm. I purchased a Salsa Cromoto 26er fork with an a2c of 425mm..so the difference is 9mm plus probably a few extra mm from the 2.4 Maxxis Ardent tire I'm running. Folks usually say 20mm = 1 degree difference in HT angle and I would say I am under 20mm in additianl height. I haven't figured out how the smaller rear wheel (650B) affects the HT angle...
    I'm loving this set up. I can honestly say it performs better and, most importantly, is more fun than any other configuration I have run on this frame (26" wheels with suspension, rigid 26er, rigid 96er and rigid 650Ber)
    Sorry for the craptastic photo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-guss2.jpg  

Last edited by JudgeMorris; 11-18-2011 at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Finally I can post in this thread

Just built this into a 69er. Got to say i'm loving it! So fast!

13.11.2011 by Will - B, on Flickr

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by will.b View Post

What is the axle-to-crown length on your fork? 445mm?

I hope you zip-tied that front brake cable down... looks like trouble.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    What is the axle-to-crown length on your fork? 445mm?

I hope you zip-tied that front brake cable down... looks like trouble.
    They are 440mm Pace RC31.

Brake cabe has been tied down now lol.

mtbr member

Looks like I went the same route!! I never, ever thought I'd see another bike just like mine!

Since Giant uses descending numbers to describe ascending model levels, with zero being the highest...therefore I call it: Giant XtC 69er SS Composite -1.

Giant F1 69er SingleSpeed Composite -1 by billmania, on Flickr

Giant F1 69er SingleSpeed Composite -1 by billmania, on Flickr
    Last edited by billmania; 11-23-2011 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice Bill! Doesn't even look like a 69er!

Good gearing on that too!

mtbr member
    @ Will.b
    What a wonderful Bike!!

mtbr member
    Nice Bill! Doesn't even look like a 69er!

Good gearing on that too!
    thanks! Thats Michigan for you. Flat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Chiave - Thanks. certainly rides very well indeed!

Bill - Good point, still you must be in trouble if you find any hills

mtbr member
    We have pretty steep hills but they are generally short, so I just deal with it and rage out on the straights.
    People just drop their jaws when I pull up to the start line and they see this thing.

mtbr member

After a muddy 30 degree ride yesterday.....

No snow in Saratoga Springs = Extended riding season! I was glad to bundle up and get out for a ride!

Although my rear derailleur got crudded up and the pulleys froze about 3/4 through and at the farthest point from the car! By the time I got back, the pulley teeth were flat spotted from the chain grinding across them .

inbikewetrust
    Nov 2011
    Built from Corratec.
    Rolls fast and precise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Ragley Bagger 288 69er

The frame was designed around 15-170 fork.
    at first, it was built with a 55 zokes but than I wanted it to shed some weight and turn it to an aggressive SS so I swap the fork for a 120 manitou tower 20 axle, blunt rims on superstar hubs.
    from 15 k"g it became 12.5 k"g as pictured.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

pictures of course

Quote Originally Posted by Guyg View Post
    The frame was designed around 15-170 fork.
    at first, it was built with a 55 zokes but than I wanted it to shed some weight and turn it to an aggressive SS so I swap the fork for a 120 manitou tower 20 axle, blunt rims on superstar hubs.
    from 15 k"g it became 12.5 k"g as pictured.
    PIctures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-2011-12-19-09.01.55.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-2011-12-19-10.17.26.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-2011-12-19-09.02.17.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice Ragley!

75% Mountain cycle

got about a year on this carver

Have enjoyed this bike.... the 29" up front works very well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-img_20101220_171630.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any one riding a 09 or newer 96er Trek EX?

Trek/Tacoma
    Jan 2012

My Custom 69er

- Trek '10 Black/Tan 69er Frame
    - Fox F29 FIT RLC 80mm G2 Geometry (from ss GF superfly) (black)
    - Niner Flat Top 9 Handlebar (red)
    - Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Stem (black/gold)
    - Crank Brothers Iodine Grips (black)
    - Thompson Elite Setback Seatpost (black)
    - WTB Shadow Seat (black/yellow/red)
    - Schimano Saint SS Crank (black/gold)
    - Niner 32/17 tooth cogs
    - Chris King Headset (black)
    - Sram Avid Elixer CR Brakes 160mm (Red/Black)
    - Stans custom 29/26 Arch Rims (black/gold nipples)
    - Stans Raven 29/26 (2.4,2.2) and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 with Schwalbe 26 Fat Albert Rear (Both 2.5) (All tubeless)
    - VP Platform Pedals (red)
    - Bontrager spacers (carbon fiber)
    - Bontrager seatpost (black)
    - Bontrager water bottle holder (red orange)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-69er.jpg  

Last edited by hoov1168k; 01-16-2012 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Very Very nice,

I have will start a build thread soon for my 96e. 2011 EX 9.9

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by inbikewetrust View Post
    Built from Corratec.
    Rolls fast and precise.

Is that a bar holding a reflector attached to the qr on the fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Is that a bar holding a reflector attached to the qr on the fork?
    That's a Reelight; it's a magnet-dynamo light.

inbikewetrust
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
    That's a Reelight; it's a magnet-dynamo light.

You're right !
    My company distributes Rellight magnet lights, so I must use them in races.
    Looks freaky, but efficient !

facebook.com/ReelightBaltic

Battery and cable free

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

As promised

96er/69er Picture Thread-resizedimage_1330807096160.jpg

So far so good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi this is my first post. I enjoyed looking at all these nice bikes! I wanted to post a picture of my bike but I'm unable to because of the 10 post requirement. Is there a way around that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elinat View Post
    Hi this is my first post. I enjoyed looking at all these nice bikes! I wanted to post a picture of my bike but I'm unable to because of the 10 post requirement. Is there a way around that?
    Post 8 more times! And Welcome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My Moots Gristle...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

... and if we just ... Nice Gristle

I wanted that bike so bad, but then the right frame came on ebay at the right time and I made the Trek into one bad 96er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey hilltop crew really nice setup. Just wondering how it handles. Thinking of goin 96er myself

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sk84free View Post
    Hey hilltop crew really nice setup. Just wondering how it handles. Thinking of goin 96er myself
    Not sure how it handles yet on the trail, however this warm spell might get me on it Saturday or Sunday. I do have a stock trek ex and the wheelbase of the 96er is a half inch shorter and it seems to steer quicker. BikeCAD said that they should steer similarly when i go to a G2 offset fork, lower travel from 120mm to 95mm and steepen the head angle by 2 degrees. time will tell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-resizedimage_1331757502945.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm pretty stoked to have these three all built up at once. The Moots Gristle was a singlespeed but from now on will stay a geared bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    I'm pretty stoked to have these three all built up at once. The Moots Gristle was a singlespeed but from now on will stay a geared bike.

That Moots needs a Maverick too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    That Moots needs a Maverick too!
    I wish I have the spare fork for it but the geometry would get really screwed up. Even that 100mm Reba is goofing up the geometry. It works best with the rigid WB fork that I have or the 80mm Reba.

That might be why I didn't like the Moots as my SS race bike. The Trek with the Maverick fork and Joplin drop post is so much more fun!

inbikewetrust
    Nov 2011
    After a hard race ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post

I just put about 40 offroad miles on my 96er, and it Rocks. The huge front wheel tames the things i have to hit, and plants like it has cleats in the corners. The short rear end makes ripping through trees and switchback fun.

mtbr member
    May 2010

My 69er conversion

Here's my Jamis Dragon 69er conversion. Photo taken after a muddy ride.

96er/69er Picture Thread-dragon69er.jpg

mtbr member
    It's a Spec. Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1338248944027.jpg  

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    I thought I posted this earlier, but here was my attempt:

'02 or '03 Trek frame, made for a 3" fork ($20 on ebay), 445mm rigid fork on the front. It really didn't come together that well. The front end was too slacked out and didn't handle well, and that aluminum frame was STIFF, much too stiff to be enjoyable to ride.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just rebuilt my old kona blast.

Only the frame remains the same.

CAN'T POST PICS YET
    Last edited by gavinda; 06-04-2012 at 02:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Double monkey post
    Last edited by gavinda; 06-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yogiprophet,

Digging up an old post. I was curious if you ever had the chance to try the prophet with 29er front and 650b rear? How did you like the ride? Any pictures of that set up? Any positive or negative issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

96er/69er AlienHunterCunninghamSupercrown

Hello all-

I repurposed my Earth Day recycled bike "RASKAL" from last year, I enjoyed riding it for the past year with 26" wheels, but I wanted to build something new and different from any other build I've done before. I decided to go with a 1x9 drivetrain and build it up as a 69'er/96'er (26" wheel in the rear with a 29" wheel in the front). I recently picked up a 700c/29'er fillet brazed "Supercrown" fork made by Rick Hunter from Hunter Cycles... it's without a doubt the sweetest bike component I've ever owned!!! Rick is a super cool guy, a one man operation, that builds custom one-off bikes to your specific needs. So, I wanted to run the Supercrown with a disc brake on the front with a 1x9 drivetrain. I started this build on Earth Day this year by tearing down RASKAL and that began the long process of gathering parts... what you see pictured in the product of all that effort and time. I did the paint myself, I was inspired by what I've seen from Otis Guy and Sacha White from Vanilla Bikes. I'm really pleased with the final outcome, hitting the trails on this bike is easily the most fun I've ever had on a bike!

Full specs on the build:

Frame / Size / Year:
    Nishiki Cunningham Alien / medium / 1989
    Handlebars / Stem:
    Titec Bontrager titanium / Thomson Elite / OURY Waffles
    Fork / Headset:
    Rick Hunter fillet brazed Supercrown / Cane Creek
    Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
    Custom / REAL / WTB Race 29 / 29" Bontrager Race Lite Pro 2.2
    Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
    Custom / AC / Mavic Extreme / 26" Tomac Nevegal 2.2 tire
    Crankset / Bottom Bracket:
    Shimano XTR modified spider singlespeed / Shimano XTR
    Saddle / Seat Post:
    Specialized Body Geometry Pro Ti / Salsa SHAFT
    Pedals / Chain:
    Time ATAC / Winwood "Decksters" / Shimano
    Shifters / Derailleurs:
    Dura Ace 9 speed / PAUL Thumbie / Shimano XTR
    Brakes / Brake Levers:
    PAUL Neo-Retro canti w/ Hunter NUGZ (rear) / Avid BB7 203mm disc (front) / AC CNC brake booster / PAUL Cross levers
    Gearing / Chainring / Misc.:
    Shimano XTR 9 speed 11t-34t / Salsa 32 / MRP bashguard

Here is a link to Rick Hunter's site, slick eye candy and beautiful welding for sure!

Hunter Cycles

Happy trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-alienhunterlg1.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-alienhunterlg2.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-alienhunterlg3.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-alienhunterlg4.jpg  

96er/69er Picture Thread-alienhunterlg5.jpg  

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 08-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This is my '08 Hardrock, just converted. Took it out for the first time this weekend. I love the ride, rolls much faster than the old 26x26 setup. The fork is a Surly. I only converted the front to disc: Avid 185mm BB7. I don't think I would go back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Couldn't agree more...

Quote Originally Posted by BoostFab View Post
    This is my '08 Hardrock, just converted. Took it out for the first time this weekend. I love the ride, rolls much faster than the old 26x26 setup. The fork is a Surly. I only converted the front to disc: Avid 185mm BB7. I don't think I would go back...

Hey BoostFab,

I like how your build turned out! I ran the same WTB 29 hoop and BB7 mech. disc brake on my conversion, great quality without blowing up your wallet!

I couldn't agree with you more about the ride quality of a 96er/69er over a traditional 26" wheel set up, it feels much quicker and seems to roll over everything with ease. I rode a 29er for a few months but I didn't like how the rear wheel didn't hook up in the corners and technical sections like the 26" wheel I was so accustomed to riding. This set up solved everything beautifully! Like you, I don't think I'll ever go back the a 26" or 29" bike... this bike is so much fun!!!

Happy trails!

-D-

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just realised i never came back and posted, well here it is on a rare sunny british morning.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinda View Post
    Just realised i never came back and posted, well here it is on a rare sunny british morning.
    That front wheel looks like a 36er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lol, tiny bit of perspective going on. I find it hard to take great bike pics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
    Hey BoostFab,

I like how your build turned out! I ran the same WTB 29 hoop and BB7 mech. disc brake on my conversion, great quality without blowing up your wallet!

I couldn't agree with you more about the ride quality of a 96er/69er over a traditional 26" wheel set up, it feels much quicker and seems to roll over everything with ease. I rode a 29er for a few months but I didn't like how the rear wheel didn't hook up in the corners and technical sections like the 26" wheel I was so accustomed to riding. This set up solved everything beautifully! Like you, I don't think I'll ever go back the a 26" or 29" bike... this bike is so much fun!!!

Happy trails!

-D-
    @NEO
    You got a nice setup. I like the BB7 brakes very much, especially pairing up with the Avid Speed levers for braking modulation. I also rode a 29er for a bit and decided to try out the 96er---now finding myself riding faster on this setup. The standing geometry isn't too different with the rigid fork. It's kind of a unique feeling that I'm the only one around here (that I know of) running this setup. I will most like converting my Kona full sussy to a 96er too, but with an 60mm or 80mm sus. fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Heard that before...

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    That front wheel looks like a 36er.
    I got that comment about mine too... it wasn't so extreme with the Bonty tire but when I switched to the Geax, it really looked huge. I'll try to remember to post an updated pic with the Geax tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96er/69er Picture Thread-alienhunterlg1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That idea of making a 96er out of your full suspension Kona sounds like great one! It seems that it would climb well and descend like a champ! If you go for it, please take pics, I'd like to see those build shots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just skimmed through some other pics and the trick of my massive wheel seems to be directly related to my 5mm clearance between tyre and fork, you can see my wheel is nearly level with the headset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ great picture.

btw, I converted my 96'er to Gorilla (ghetto) tubeless, was so easy. true test on how well it hold up will be this weekend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38