700c machines and their accoutrements- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

700c machines and their accoutrements

Read bottom line of press release. Wonder if 29" will be discussed or just road bikes...Sneak A Peek At The Jan. 1 BRAIN

DECEMBER 29, 2004 -- LAGUNA HILLS, CA (BRAIN)--The January issue of Bicycle Retailer and Industry News shipped today from the printer, filled with late-breaking stories. Watch your mailbox for the latest on stories like Specialized Snatching Mike McAndrews from Trek, Giant and BikeE Suing and Countersuing, and 2004: A Year in Review.

Also, the Jan. 1 edition focuses on the road, highlighting companies finding success with 700c machines and their accoutrements.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Harmonius Wrench

I'm betting- NO!

Almost assuredly it will all be pavement oriented. The only bright spot for the LBS in the last couple of years; that and the "Lance Factor", will be the topics du jour. I'd fall out of my chair if there is anything 29" wheel related in it. Maybe we should write them some letters to make sure the next issue DOES HAVE some 29er content! They seem to print about anything they get their hands on.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Recovering couch patato
    >Maybe we should write them some letters to make sure the next issue DOES HAVE
    >some 29er content! <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> They seem to print about anything they get their hands on.

Good idea Ted!
    Perhaps just one story, all ready to be copy/pasted into the mag would stand a good chance.
    About how it's start got delayed by lack of big-brand commitment, and only happened ('99 steel Nanoraptor) thanks to the weirdo that kept building 28" bikes, after years of belief and commitment for the goal. Now, more and more riders are joining the 29" world. 29" seems to work the market mostly top-down. People that are buying them, either alredy have (had) many bikes, or do serious investigating before buying something that's clearly off-standard, but still that's where their money goes.
    About how only Fisher (World) and Nishiki (Europe) are the only business really spending big heaps of their marketing budgets on promoting their 29" bikes in full-page, full-color ads, and still the movement is growing and is cloes to having 20 29"-specific tires that won't even fit a CX or Trekking bike.
    About how the odds of someone going back to 26" after trying 29" is much better than FS vs. Hardtail, Disc vs. Disc, STI vs. Rapidfire, etc. Customers seem to like their big bikes a lot, and spend their money only at shops that will take them seriously for that, and show willingness to special-order rare parts.
    How White Brothers seems to thrive from their decision years a go to totally like the 29" thing, and are always expanding their 29" fork line-up.
    How riders keep coming into the movement despite much scarser product selection, but that concept is important enough, riders just shop at their budget and ride that, with big grins.
    How some custom builders, the creme the la creme of world biking, are hardly doing 26" anymore, and some (like Matt Chester) aren't even taking 26" orders again, out of full conviction.
    How the movement is delighted with Fisher and Nishiki spreading the word, but it will survive even if they'd pull out, many riders haven't even ever ridden any of their bikes, and went to smaller brands right away.
    A few pictures of what's now popular in the scene : a Leviathan that even surprised the man that built it, a custom steel singlespeed (SS and 29" seem like partners in crime towarsds mainstreamdom, riders just dig it), a KM as the all-conquering underdog, and a Fisher Paragon as the current hardtail standard.
    And of course good pointers about how there's really money to be made with 29". As the concept really does seem to work, boosted from the riders rather than the market (au contraire de 31.8 stems/bars), and although not invented for the reason, could prove like a good way to convince 26" riders to buy a new 29" before the old one wears out.
    Definately a photoshop pic of the typical 29" big grin that drive so many 26" riders sick on the trails. "Those guys seem to have way more fun than us!". "And they get all the chicks!".

Volunteers? Ted? Brett?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Jezus, Cloxx, you need to lay off the expresso.

Ditto to everything you just said.
    FS: Everything

Moderator Moderator
    Ditto, Ditto.

Cloxx, you must type as fast as you can speak or somethin'!
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Recovering couch patato
    I wish I could type as fast I as I think, or at least get ideas translated into words before their gone. And be more secure about my English. It may be correct most of the time, but I feel I lack vocabulary to really get a message over. Hence the volunteer request. Bicycle retailer seems like a good place to send in a rose flavoured editorial/business update from/about our movement.
    Always an overload of ideas, the hard thing is to filter out the ones that are useless.

Espresso? I just had my first (kid size can) of Coca-Cola in weeks! (recovering addict).
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Read bottom line of press release. Wonder if 29" will be discussed or just road bikes...Sneak A Peek At The Jan. 1 BRAIN
    No such luck! Page 25 starts "Rockin' Road".....

Members who have read this thread: 0