700 vs. 29- Mtbr.com

Thread: 700 vs. 29

Sep 2008

700 vs. 29

I just got my girlfriend to bring me some 29 tubes to Australia (not too available here yet) from the US and she bought back 700 instead. Does anyone know if these work alright? I assume they would as I have heard of people even using 26" tubes, any advantages or disadvantages using the 700?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A 700c tube is designed for a skinnier road tire abeit a 29" one. Don't know what size tire you are running. Your tube might work if they were designed for something close to what you want it for. Are the valves right?

mtbr member
    700c is 29" but what width?
    Sit and spin my ass...

Sep 2008
    I'm runnin 29 x 2.2 . . .

mtbr member

You are ok if

Quote Originally Posted by Waggers
    I'm runnin 29 x 2.2 . . .
    If the tubes she brought you are 700c 47-52 you are golden! use them and get some tire liners if you are riding the outback.
    where are you Adlaide? Melbourne? Perth? Sidney?

If your girl friend brought you the right tube, give her a present....

No worries mate!
    Sit and spin my ass...

\m/ \m/
    Go tubeless
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Did you know you could use 26" tubes in a 29er?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tell us what width tubes the 700c one are? are the 2.2 tires high volume? If the tubes are 700c x something over 40 you should at least give it a try.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggers
    I just got my girlfriend to bring me some 29 tubes to Australia (not too available here yet) from the US and she bought back 700 instead. Does anyone know if these work alright? I assume they would as I have heard of people even using 26" tubes, any advantages or disadvantages using the 700?
    The tube cross section is more important than the diameter. A 26 x 2.0 tube will work much better than a 700 x 38mm tube. Tube expand in diameter much more than cross section.
    This is a 26" tube
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Can someone tell me why they call road wheels 700c? Why not just describe them in terms of inches? My guess is it has something to do with the metric system. Is it a 70cm diameter?

Underskilled
    because they are 700mm across, the name 29" is more marketing BS, because if you put a mtb tyre on a 700c rim it is ~29"

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    because they are 700mm across, the name 29" is more marketing BS, because if you put a mtb tyre on a 700c rim it is ~29"
    Not only that but 29" is a horsh*t description because not all MTB tires on 700c rims end up at 29".
    "Do not touch the trim"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieBeotch
    Can someone tell me why they call road wheels 700c? Why not just describe them in terms of inches? My guess is it has something to do with the metric system. Is it a 70cm diameter?
    More than you really what to know: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you know if 23-25mm 700c latex tube will work with 2.25 tires?

Quote Originally Posted by s1ned
    Do you know if 23-25mm 700c latex tube will work with 2.25 tires?
    No! Latex tubes need to match the tire cross section much more so than butyl tubes. A 23mm butyl tube will not even be close to filling any 29" mtb tire.
    mtbtires.com

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    sheldon's page that shiggy linked to explains it all, but I wanted to point out that your assessment of 29" being "marketing" is just wrong.
    it doesn't seem like you understand the difference between nominal and actual size.
    700c wheels are no more often 700mm across than 29er wheels are 29" across. is 700c "marketing"? no, it's a nominal standard used to describe what can practically be a range of wheel diameters, just like 29".
    because there is a large variety in widths offered for the 29er platform, and also because two different tires marked "2.1" will rarely actually be 2.1" across or even the same, a nominal standard is required to describe the wheel size. mtb tires on 700c rims come out to a wheel (including tire) diameter of about 29" (as a matter of fact the schwalbe racing ralphs on my stan's 355s are almost exactly 29" from the floor to the top of the inflated tire). my 23mm road tires on 700c rims, on the other hand, make a wheel that is 686mm across. the 28mm tires on my 700c commuter make a different diameter wheel, and on and on. 29" was probably used for early big-wheeled mountain bikes because the nominal standard in use for mountain bikes at the time was 26".

mtbr member
    So it's my understanding the 700c rims and 29-er rims are the same diameter. But what makes it a 29" is the fat tires (like a 2.0+) to get you the outside diameter. Vs a 700c on a road bike is typically running a 23-28mm tire. Something like a 29x 1.0"

I just picked up a set of 700c x 32 cyclocross tires. So basically a 29 x 1.25" And got tubes that are more its size.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    My Redline Monocog 29er came with 700c 47-52 tubes to my surprise when I changed out to (29er specific) Slime Tubes
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Not only that but 29" is a horsh*t description because not all MTB tires on 700c rims end up at 29".
    then every nominal description of a wheel diameter (including 26", 700c, 27", 650b, etc.) is "horsh*t"
    what do you think would be better? i guess sticking to the standard rim measurements (e.g., 622/19) would be consistent for the rim only, but it gives no real-world(ish) indication of the actual wheel diameter with a tire on, which i think is why the whole nominal standard thing probably came about.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial Tone
    My Redline Monocog 29er came with 700c 47-52 tubes to my surprise when I changed out to (29er specific) Slime Tubes
    why is that surprising? the nominal standard for your rim is 700c, and 47-52 translates to 1.85"-2.0", thus making it a "29er specific" tube (the difference between 'road' and '29er' tubes is the width, and your tube clearly falls into the 29er category).

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    why is that surprising? the nominal standard for your rim is 700c, and 47-52 translates to 1.85"-2.0", thus making it a "29er specific" tube (the difference between 'road' and '29er' tubes is the width, and your tube clearly falls into the 29er category).
    Because I wasnt expecting a 700c tube when 29er specific tubes are widley available. Not to mention that the tires that came with the MC29er are WTB Exiwolf 2.3's--slightly larger than the 47-52 sizing.

I was referring to the original poster that if thats the size that was given to him, that it is OK.

I am aware with the similarities between the 700c and 29er. When I say '29er specific' I mean MTB tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    And the tires will say "700x52" (or close) on the sidewall, too.

The tubes are not a surprise at all.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dial Tone
    Because I wasnt expecting a 700c tube when 29er specific tubes are widley available. Not to mention that the tires that came with the MC29er are WTB Exiwolf 2.3's--slightly larger than the 47-52 sizing.

I was referring to the original poster that if thats the size that was given to him, that it is OK.

I am aware with the similarities between the 700c and 29er. When I say '29er specific' I mean MTB tubes.
    Your tubes ARE mtb/29er tubes. And if they are the same as the what was on my Monocog they also have a WTB logo stamped on them.

With inner tubes the only thing that makes them "road", "mtb" or "trekking" is their actual size. A tube for a 29x2.3 mtb tire is no different than one for a 700x60 trekking tire.
    mtbtires.com

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Yes, I believe it did have the WTB stamp on it.

To be clear, I WAS expecting at 29 x ?? stamping rather than the 700c. Maybe I should have said that earlier

ballbuster

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Did you know you could use 26" tubes in a 29er?
    you're better off with 26er tubes than 700c hybrid or road bike tubes. Bigger around the doughnut, which is harder to stretch than overall diameter.

Members who have read this thread: 0