6061 or 7005 aluminum?- Mtbr.com
    Get out of town!

6061 or 7005 aluminum?

I am looking at a Misfit Dissent and a Niner EMD 9 frame. Price is close enough on these to not be factor. I am curious if there is a noticable difference in the ride quality of these two frames? I have a Reba w/ a Maxle that I'm going to convert to 80mm and a tubeless set up. The bike will be run mostly as a SS. They both seem like good options for an affordable frame. Any thoughts on what would be the better option or is it splitting hairs? I would like to do some short track races on the bike but mainly it will be a second bike for having fun.

I have used a chain tensioner on another build and would do it again but the Misfit does seem to have an advantage there...
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Former Bike Wrench
    Ride quality will be determined by the design of the frame, not if it's 6061 or 7005.

Get out of town!
    Not trying to imply that the material used should be the sole determining factor (although if you look at Misfits website you could conclude it is a question worth posing). I would like to know if anyone has time on these bikes or could offer some food for thought on what they liked or did not like about either. Just shopping around and trying to get some feedback. Not really interested in having a debate. I know these posts aren't worth answering for many but if you have some time on either of these frames I would like to hear from you. I don't have the luxury of testing them out.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Then why a subject line mentioning the alloys, which are so close in properties as to silly as to why we needed both of them for bicycle frames in the first place ?? On paper the 6061 is simpler to weld, slightly lower density (about 2%), and resists salt-water corrosion better. 7005 is about 10% stronger, requires less post-weld steps to have usable strength (and thus is simpler to manufacture with), and is actually a cheaper alloy to produce.

The difference in aluminium alloy is going to make zero difference in the ride of the dissent or niner. In fact the brands could swap alloys and nobody outside of a lab with testing equipment could tell the difference unless you told them it'd been done.

Get out of town!
    So much is lost in translation on the internet. Like I said, I did not mean to imply...well you can read my previous post. My point was that it seems like splitting hairs in terms of ride quality, which you apparently agree with? SO, anyone have time on these frames that can offer feedback? A Dissent is a tough bike to find for a demo but it looks like a versatile bike at a good value.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Dissent comes in black and has slider. That's an easy choice if it were me.

Can't comment on the ride quality but both get good reviews so you're probably safe either way.

Members who have read this thread: 0