mtbr member

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta

I will be traveling the Funk La Ruta soon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

Reviewer/Tester
    Ohhh yeah...magic frame, I love those La Ruta's. Simple and sweet..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

Wheel on down the path

Quote Originally Posted by trail717

Some Stans to roll with, 900 grams rear, 800 grams front
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

beautiful frame!!!!!!!!!!!!

your size (height) - frame size pleeeezzzz!!

mtbr member
    What special damping, if any, needs to be done with the shock? Seems like the pulling force from the flexed stay would need to be compensated for...maybe running higher (slower) rebound???

Interesting bike. What does a similarly sized Leviathan or Smellsworth FS bike weigh?
    Last edited by Soupboy; 03-04-2007 at 02:09 PM.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Trail717,

Looks gorgeeeous, Daryl says I'll have mine by Easter. After seeing yours I can't wait. Got all the parts in the garage waiting to build it including a sweet pair of DT Swiss wheels from the magic hands of Mikesee at lacemine29.com. Have fun with the build and be sure and do a first ride report.

mtbr member

About a Medium

Quote Originally Posted by starre
    your size (height) - frame size pleeeezzzz!!
    I am 5’ 10”, 170lbs and have to use all my fingers and toes two times each + 10 to calc my age

Frame is custom, I spec’ed tube angles and lengths and Daryl made a few key suggestions. That said you could think of this frame as a Medium

Note: Daryl Funk can do up any size within the limits of the 29 wheel format, he made a comment to me that he feels the 29 wheel format allows for a very wide range of tube angles and lengths to achive the right size(s)
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

Rebound/Damping

Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    What special damping, if any, needs to be done with the shock? Seems like the pulling force from the flexed stay would need to be compensated for...maybe running higher (slower) rebound???

Interesting bike. What does a similarly sized Leviathan or Smellsworth FS bike weigh?
    I plan on carrying my shock/fork air pump on my first few rides, I will be tuning the fork and shock air pressures and adjusting the rebound setting. My goal is a “plush” feel for 6hr + rides, and then with a few added lbs of air a more classic “XC” feel for shorter rides

Will post my impressions, hoping to get in a long Moab/1st ride next week
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Cool. Best wishes with your new frame. I don't take it as the best for me, but it appears to be very compelling for smaller/lighter riders. Happy trails.

I plan on carrying my shock/fork air pump on my first few rides, I will be tuning the fork and shock air pressures and adjusting the rebound setting. My goal is a “plush” feel for 6hr + rides, and then with a few added lbs of air a more classic “XC” feel for shorter rides

Will post my impressions, hoping to get in a long Moab/1st ride next week
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

I know that feeling

Quote Originally Posted by surfk9
    Trail717,

Looks gorgeeeous, Daryl says I'll have mine by Easter. After seeing yours I can't wait. Got all the parts in the garage waiting to build it including a sweet pair of DT Swiss wheels from the magic hands of Mikesee at lacemine29.com. Have fun with the build and be sure and do a first ride report.
    This is sort of mean but just to make the wait seen longer
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

More Bits and Pieces

A Reba to smooth out the bumps, 3.90lbs un-cut
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

I am about avg

Cool. Best wishes with your new frame. I don't take it as the best for me, but it appears to be very compelling for smaller/lighter riders. Happy trails.

Thanks for the best wishes, I am really looking forward to that 1st ride

Like any frame/design this one is tilted in a certain direction, Endurance and XC in this case.

However I know from reading other Funk posts and talking to two Funk riders, both larger than me, that this particular RS design, dampened leaf spring, could deal with a much heavier rider than my 170 lbs
    How much heaver I would not know but Daryl did mention the availability of lighter/thinner and thicker/heaver down/top tubing to accommodate different needs
    ---------------
    me have blog

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Madre's medium Leviathan weighed 5.5lbs...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Trail717.
    That was mean, any more pictures of that frame and I won't feel so good about being in mainland Mexico surfing until Easter. I did notice snow in the background and down here its been in the 80s daily, which takes some of the pain of your taunts away. Get that build going, want to see the finished product. I'm going the Reba way also with the remote poploc. Works way well on my SS and like it better then the WB on my Asylum. PS got to count my fingers and toes three times to get to my age.

Samsonite Tester
    This is sort of mean but just to make the wait seen longer

What a smart HT to address the reba clunk.

Those welds are the nicest I've ever seen. Beautiful!
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member

Fork Clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    What a smart HT to address the reba clunk.

Those welds are the nicest I've ever seen. Beautiful!

Reba Clunk:
    Daryl and I discussed the Reba clearance issue up front and he basically said no problem, should have the fork installed soon and will see how it all fits, will post a picture with results when available.

Welds:
    I look at frame welds from a functional/strength point of view first and aesthetic view point second. I sort of feel that is exactly what this frame reflects

More welds & more snow:
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

Keep looking, more pitcures coming

Trail717.
    That was mean, any more pictures of that frame and I won't feel so good about being in mainland Mexico surfing until Easter. I did notice snow in the background and down here its been in the 80s daily, which takes some of the pain of your taunts away. Get that build going, want to see the finished product. I'm going the Reba way also with the remote poploc. Works way well on my SS and like it better then the WB on my Asylum. PS got to count my fingers and toes three times to get to my age.
    Ya well I am going to (hopefully) post a picture of the La Ruta on a sunny Moab trail next week just for you so take that!! PS, so surfing is a low impact sort of sport for older bones?
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Scweeeet! I love this. Just a curious question though - your head badge is a sticker? I saw a really cool engraved one a while back on tyhis forum - is that an extra?

Yeah, I think DF has the coolest headbadges around.

mtbr member

Crank set goes here

I will be slapping on my old XT crank set to get rolling but eventually want match my previous/standard 26er gear ratios, any suggestions for a mid to light weight 20/30/40 crank set??
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

Head Badge

Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Scweeeet! I love this. Just a curious question though - your head badge is a sticker? I saw a really cool engraved one a while back on tyhis forum - is that an extra?

Yeah, I think DF has the coolest headbadges around.
    Hum, engraved head badge? Not sure if there is an engraved one, can you find that picture, I looked at funk's web site, did not see it there??

However I want to see Daryl's head badge logo on a jersey soon, that would be sweet.
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Trail717,
    The pain, the pain, yes surfing is low impact, and warm water is good for the arthritis, and I don't have to keep pedaling over hill and dale but when I return I'll have my La Ruta and build it just in time for the Sea Otter Festival at Laguna Seca to show off in sunny California. So there take that!!!! By the way I'll be using new XTR cranks on mine but they are 22-32-44 don't know how that works out for a 29r gearing. I just go for the low and grunt alot!

mtbr member

Got to get back that 10%

Trail717,
    The pain, the pain, yes surfing is low impact, and warm water is good for the arthritis, and I don't have to keep pedaling over hill and dale but when I return I'll have my La Ruta and build it just in time for the Sea Otter Festival at Laguna Seca to show off in sunny California. So there take that!!!! By the way I'll be using new XTR cranks on mine but they are 22-32-44 don't know how that works out for a 29r gearing. I just go for the low and grunt alot!
    I guess you lose about 10% off each gear ratio, so your granny gear (22 by 34 on my 26er for me) is about 2 or 3 clicks higher on a 29er. About 5-6 hours into a ride the lack of my low gears becomes a problem for me on the high altitude grunt sections I deal with in Colorado (ya I know I am just a weak legged wimp but it is what it is). Also riding in a regular middle ring sort of feels like you are in the high ring, ya you can make it work but it seems you wind up using the low ring to much and almost never the high ring

Oh, I know Sea Otter is a great event but not really my cup of tea, you will have to do better than that

PS: Just learned the Offical Frame Weight per the digial bike scale at my LBS ( http://www.teamtelecycle.com/ ) is 4.21 lbs
    ---------------
    me have blog

mechmann_mtb
    nice bike!

i would be really nervous with the weld at the BB (leafspring)

what kind of warrantee does Funk offer with that frame? (i know, all frames fail eventually)

i think a frame like that would be nearly perfect for XC/Endurance for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like my eyes decieved me. Looking at this photo I now can see a sticker - looked like an engraved badge to me the first time....

I hope you bring this bike down to the Cochiti 100

mtbr member

Nervous Nellie

Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    nice bike!

i would be really nervous with the weld at the BB (leafspring)

what kind of warrantee does Funk offer with that frame? (i know, all frames fail eventually)

i think a frame like that would be nearly perfect for XC/Endurance for me.
    Warrantee?
    never even asked, ether Daryl deals with any problems or he dosent, from what I have seen he would do his best to resolve any frame issues related to manufacturing/design, no questions asked, note: you can repair Ti, within reason

When I first saw this design I to was a bit skeptical about the BB weld and stress at this point. So I did a rough seat of the pants calculation to determine the distance that the “end” of the leaf spring has to flex to produce 100 mm of rear axel travel. Its only about ½ inch, in reality it’s probably less because the tube section of the chain stays should also carry some of the flex needed to get 100mm of travel.
    So imagine clamping onto the end of the spring section with a big hefty pair of vise grips, one on each stay end (right were the chain stay tube is welded to the flat spring end) now flex the flat spring upwards, less than ½ inch, producing a slight bow shape, repeat over and over, can you envision how the weld should never see so much bending moment that it bends past it's point of fatigue?
    Any way this is not the first frame built with this design and all reports I have heard have been positive about this weld. That said I’m sure I will be a nervous nellie, closely watching that weld my fist few rides.
    Last edited by trail717; 03-06-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    It's probably not my place, but I'm very curious to see the actual engineering that went into that plate.

I can see it in the Silk Ti and Fango and I'm convinced, but here, I'm not so convinced.

Not a judgement or an indictment, just curious.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member

RS Design Engineering Details?

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    It's probably not my place, but I'm very curious to see the actual engineering that went into that plate.

I can see it in the Silk Ti and Fango and I'm convinced, but here, I'm not so convinced.

Not a judgement or an indictment, just curious.
    Of course I do not have any of the “actual” engineering data that Daryl may have used to develop this RS design. I do know that Daryl went through a couple of design trials/iterations but do not really know the details. Perhaps you might contact Daryl directly? http://www.funkcycles.com/

Obviously time and miles will answer MY questions, hopefully with an agreeable result as I has all done paid me money. At this point in time I am very confident and plan on using this frame in all-day and multi-day endurance events, time will tell if I am making a good choice.

Daryl Funk himself, my apologies for the lousy camera work
    ---------------
    me have blog

mechmann_mtb
    sorry if i came across wrong. as a mechanical engineer i have a pretty good idea what stresses and strains will look like in that structural member.

i doubt that the material will yield.

my question would be more about the fatigue life since this will be directly related to the level of stress/strain on the member.

with the stress concentration at the weld due to abrupt change in cross sectional moment of inertia and the weld/HAZ, it seems to me that the fatigue life might be relatively short. this could conceivably be alleviated by a gradual thickening of the material as it approaches the weld, which i cannot see in the pictures.

i still think that is a beautifully elegant design (as are most soft-tail/flex stay designs) for XC.

good luck with your frame, i hope it provides you with endless hours of enjoyment (or pain and suffering during endurance events)

Reviewer/Tester
    I had the same misgivings when I first saw a Funk la Ruta with the flexy Ti pivot, but apparently my fears have proven groundless, as owner / riders of this fine design will attest.

The Titanium is able to flex without failing for a very long time. How long? I don't know, but as Titanium is used in aircraft and space station technology, it seems that the chances of it breaking are very slim.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

Weld Fatigue Life

sorry if i came across wrong. as a mechanical engineer i have a pretty good idea what stresses and strains will look like in that structural member.

i doubt that the material will yield.

my question would be more about the fatigue life since this will be directly related to the level of stress/strain on the member.

with the stress concentration at the weld due to abrupt change in cross sectional moment of inertia and the weld/HAZ, it seems to me that the fatigue life might be relatively short. this could conceivably be alleviated by a gradual thickening of the material as it approaches the weld, which i cannot see in the pictures.

i still think that is a beautifully elegant design (as are most soft-tail/flex stay designs) for XC.

good luck with your frame, i hope it provides you with endless hours of enjoyment (or pain and suffering during endurance events)
    No you did not come across in the wrong way, not at all, thanks for your insight, good comments and questions. Seem like every thread about the La Ruta’s RS design brings similar questions.

I do not currently have access to a cad program with a stress analysis software package so have no rigorous/easy way to model the calculated stress at the welds, however by default I will be doing real world fatigue testing and am not really worried. Obviously I believe the current design to be more than robust enough to handle its designed propose. I do agree with your idea about using a “gradual thickening of the material as it approaches the weld to reduce the stress at the weld”. That would spread the stress over a larger area and increase the fatigue withstand at that point and would probably be a more “robust” design. I can think of several, possibly cheaper/easier, ways to achieve the same result.
    However the current design is what it is and I guess the way I looked at it was not where the highest stress point is located at but rather can that particular point, the weld in this case, successfully withstand the fatigue/cycles placed upon it? The amplitude of the up/down cycle is smaller than one might think from a casual look.

So far all the real world field data says the current design can handle the fatigue cycling paced upon it. But that said there are a limited number of frames with this design in use so barring a future controlled fatigue test only time will truly answer your concern.

I may be 100% out of school here but maybe Daryl just built up the design and then rode the heak out of it. Or maybe he used a cad program with stress analysis package to model his design, he does not just build bicycle frames and he has access to a very very very amazing adjacent facility, so who knows.

I do know that he has a bike partner, a hard core rider, who did some extensive real world test riding on the design, Also I know Jeff Carmody has been racing his La Ruta for a year and the other threads here at MTBR all indicate that weld fatigue has not been a problem (so far).

By the way, You are a ME, I be a ME (at least on paper), also when I briefly met Jeff Carmody at the start line of the Mas o Menos 100K ( I noticed his 26 er La Ruta Funk next to me and we chatted for about 1 whole min) and I am 98.5% sure he said he is also a ME. (See funk web site http://www.funkcycles.com/ for testimonial info on Jeff, he has been successfully racing this design for right at a full year)
    So my rigorous engineered conclusion indicates you too will soon be buying a La Ruta frame for some real world XC testing and evaluation?
    ---------------
    me have blog

mechmann_mtb
    hahahahaa...

i like the ME connection. it is a pretty frame! it will be a while before i can afford a new XC mtb, but this frame would be on my short list. thanks for your responses!

justin

mtbr member
    I'm a big boy and have been riding mine for over a year with no issues, it just works.

Jan 2007

Im Happy for Funk

If there is one thing for sure, is that Funk knows how to make a hell of a frame. I am glad that he is back in business. Enjoy your new ride!!!!

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2
    I'm a big boy and have been riding mine for over a year with no issues, it just works.
    Another bike out of the closet. You have got the sweetest bike fleet ever .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member

Work in Progress

Just got back in town and here are some build pictures Paul had for me.
    Hope to pick up rideable bike later today

1) Blank Canvas at Team Telecycle my LBS,

2) Reba Clearance

3) Tire Clearance, Resolutions F&R with tubes, Paul said he had to use tire levers and grunt to get them on

4) Front Derailleur Clearance
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

More

Just got back in town and here are some build pictures Paul had for me.
    Hope to pick up rideable bike later today

1) Blank Canvas at Team Telecycle my LBS,

2) Reba Clearance

3) Tire Clearance, Resolutions F&R with tubes, Paul said he had to use tire levers and grunt to get them on

4) Front Derailleur Clearance

5) Initial Build, minus future/new crank set, bars and grips

6) Current Build Weight
    5) Initial Build, minus future/new crank set, bars and grips

6) Current Build Weight
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

great build!

if i remember correctly, you were testing out a "lenz lev" a while back and then went "funk". i would greatly appreciate when you give your initial ride report any comparison to the "lev", especially climbing and out of the saddle bobbing. thanx and good luck with your beautiful ride!!

mtbr member

1st Climb

if i remember correctly, you were testing out a "lenz lev" a while back and then went "funk". i would greatly appreciate when you give your initial ride report any comparison to the "lev", especially climbing and out of the saddle bobbing. thanx and good luck with your beautiful ride!!
    To soon to tell much yet, hope to get in couple of hours on dirt tomorrow but:
    Just got back from a spin up a nice steep climb and a bit of dirt road, 1st impressions are little bob with shock in full open position, can not really feel it but you can look down and see a little movement. Zero bob in the pro-pedal position even when standing, dare I say felt like a HT. Oh and its going to be butter smooth over 4-8 inch high speed wash boards

Lenz Lev:
    This Funk has a similar HT angle, little shorter effective TT than the Lev I rode. I really like the simplicity of this Funk design and for various reasons I like Ti more than Aluminum. But basically I hope this bike handles like/as well as the Lev. The Funk will be set up a bit different than the Lev demo bike was so will be sort of hard to compare. That said I would recommend the Lev to anyone looking for a light fast XC 29er!!!!!!!!!!!

1st Ride, got everything nice and dirty
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

Ready to Ride

Paul (Team Telecycle) holding the La Ruta he just finished building up
    ---------------
    me have blog

Hairshirt Rider
    Paul (Team Telecycle) holding the La Ruta he just finished building up
    I just happened to be stop by when trail717 was picking up the complete bike. It is hawt!

Between this bike and my Niner the Thursday night ride will be 200% bigger in 2007.

mechmann_mtb
    NICE!

it seems a bit heavier than i expected. i guess the difference in weight between what i thought it would be and what it is, is due to the FD and triple. seems to me that with that build it still should be 1 lbs lighter

mtbr member

thanx!

thanx for your very first impressions of the funk. is this your first time on a Ti bike? is there a significant difference in ride characteristics between a full suspension Ti bike and a FS Al bike? does the FS Ti vs Al feel more noodley (not the lack of side to side stiffness in the rear that everyone was concerned about in Funk's design)? again thanx and enjoy your ride! (you must be in 7th heaven!)

mtbr member

Paul's Thursday night Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    I just happened to be stop by when trail717 was picking up the complete bike. It is hawt!

Between this bike and my Niner the Thursday night ride will be 200% bigger in 2007.
    To bad I will still be the last up and down all the climbs
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

25.5 is OK by me

NICE!

it seems a bit heavier than i expected. i guess the difference in weight between what i thought it would be and what it is, is due to the FD and triple. seems to me that with that build it still should be 1 lbs lighter
    I am very happy with the weight but to get it 1 lb lighter would be very doable

1) Steerer tube will probably be cut a bit shorter after I dial in my new position

2) Run Stans yellow tape and sealant (The Resolution tires fit very tight and I will be trying Stans soon, used it a lot on 26ers and like it)

3) Lighter Crank, I have an Extralite Crank set and rings, shaves close to ½ lb off the XT and shifts better, will be trying it later but first I want to get and play around with a 20 or 21 tooth chain ring on the XT crank set

4) Will probably run lighter tires for Leadville type events, might try a Fast Trak on the rear with a Front Resolution

5) Seat post could be lighter but I doubt I will go that route

6) Seat could be lighter, I am still looking for the perfect seat, might find a lighter one I like for long rides
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

Some Opinions

thanx for your very first impressions of the funk. is this your first time on a Ti bike? is there a significant difference in ride characteristics between a full suspension Ti bike and a FS Al bike? does the FS Ti vs Al feel more noodley (not the lack of side to side stiffness in the rear that everyone was concerned about in Funk's design)? again thanx and enjoy your ride! (you must be in 7th heaven!)
    My first impression of this particular Ti frame is that it doesn’t have a noodle anywhere in it, vs any other mountain bike I have ever ridden, that said it is way to soon to really make a firm conclusion

I have previously owned and liked bike frames in Steel, Aluminum and a Ti/Carbon

A couple of things I like about Ti:
    The “feel” of Ti over the little rocks and bumps that shake rattle and roll you at speed, Ti (steel also) seems to have a nice damping effect on these resonant frequencies vs Al (just my opinion)
    I also like the way Ti seems to resist dings and scratches, can be repaired and does not rust, again just my preferences/opinions.

I would not hesitate to own an Aluminum frame again but all things being equal my personal ranking, with out any consideration for cost, would go as follows

First – Ti
    Second by just a hair – Steel
    Close Third -- Aluminum
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

can't wait to hear more!

thanx for taking time and responding. looking forward to more feedback from your rides as it is more than interesting to get a first hand comparison of steel versus Al versus Ti in a full suspension bike.

mtbr member

Dialing it in (or trying to)

Hey this is area, (Pueblo Colo) is 1 hr drive from my snowy backyard so off I went for my first real La Ruta ride on ST

Few minor air and rebound adjustments and the La Ruta was rocking, felt so so good.

1) Neat trail
    2) Neat Bike (he he ) (oh note the o ring, getting full rear travel, very smooth feel)
    3) Just another day in Colorado

But then about 2 hours in to the ride…..ahhhh no, see next post
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member

Lets try SS for the return ride

Snapped the rear derailleur trying to ride through some waist high tumble weeds that had colleted on the trail (Can we all say Pilot Error, Dummy etc etc)

1) Humm this La Ruta makes a pretty good SS
    2) Optional rear derailleur storage compartment
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    trail717,

Thank you, thank you, your pictures and posts got me jonesing to get back to home in the US to get my frame and build my La Ruta. Got to wait though to give Daryl time to complete my frame. Yours looks good and even looks better with a little trail dust on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice frame.
    What I don't get: What's making the rear triangle stiff enough so that the seat stays don't move sideways from the seattube?
    The rear shock is the only thing that prevents such movement.
    F.e. If you grab the seattube with the left hand, and push against the top of the rear tire with the right hand, isn't there any movement?...
    Can a shock be that strong???

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just talked to Daryl to build me a new race weapon! Can't wait!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As long as the applied stress is lower than the value of the endurance limit, the weld has an infinite life. This is where Ti and steel have a distinct advantage over aluminum.

No you did not come across in the wrong way, not at all, thanks for your insight, good comments and questions. Seem like every thread about the La Ruta’s RS design brings similar questions.

I do not currently have access to a cad program with a stress analysis software package so have no rigorous/easy way to model the calculated stress at the welds, however by default I will be doing real world fatigue testing and am not really worried. Obviously I believe the current design to be more than robust enough to handle its designed propose. I do agree with your idea about using a “gradual thickening of the material as it approaches the weld to reduce the stress at the weld”. That would spread the stress over a larger area and increase the fatigue withstand at that point and would probably be a more “robust” design. I can think of several, possibly cheaper/easier, ways to achieve the same result.
    However the current design is what it is and I guess the way I looked at it was not where the highest stress point is located at but rather can that particular point, the weld in this case, successfully withstand the fatigue/cycles placed upon it? The amplitude of the up/down cycle is smaller than one might think from a casual look.

So far all the real world field data says the current design can handle the fatigue cycling paced upon it. But that said there are a limited number of frames with this design in use so barring a future controlled fatigue test only time will truly answer your concern.

I may be 100% out of school here but maybe Daryl just built up the design and then rode the heak out of it. Or maybe he used a cad program with stress analysis package to model his design, he does not just build bicycle frames and he has access to a very very very amazing adjacent facility, so who knows.

I do know that he has a bike partner, a hard core rider, who did some extensive real world test riding on the design, Also I know Jeff Carmody has been racing his La Ruta for a year and the other threads here at MTBR all indicate that weld fatigue has not been a problem (so far).

By the way, You are a ME, I be a ME (at least on paper), also when I briefly met Jeff Carmody at the start line of the Mas o Menos 100K ( I noticed his 26 er La Ruta Funk next to me and we chatted for about 1 whole min) and I am 98.5% sure he said he is also a ME. (See funk web site http://www.funkcycles.com/ for testimonial info on Jeff, he has been successfully racing this design for right at a full year)
    So my rigorous engineered conclusion indicates you too will soon be buying a La Ruta frame for some real world XC testing and evaluation?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth!
    I just talked to Daryl to build me a new race weapon! Can't wait!
    Thanks for bringing that beautiful bike back to memory. I remember watching this tread back in 2007....maybe it's time to start saving

When do you expect your frame to arrive?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just talked to Daryl yesterday about my needs and size, so hope to talk to him in a day or so about it again. Building a cross country race weapon 1x10.

mtbr member
    I just talked to Daryl yesterday about my needs and size, so hope to talk to him in a day or so about it again. Building a cross country race weapon 1x10.

Ooohh can't wait to see that, I have a SS La Ruta in mind at the moment!...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's in the works should be only a couple weeks!

mtbr member
    Hey Trail717, since this thread was revived from the locker, how bout an update on this bike? Do you still have it? Is it still working as original? How's the leaf joint holding up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Should be done this week! lets see if I can upload some pics he sent to me as it gets created. New over sized head tube (for a cane creek ZS 110) lets him use a bigger down tube. New lower tt with cross brace, and a new streamlined plate. I think I just soiled myself!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-lower-tt.jpg  

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-plate.jpg  

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005

Funk!

Just got mine today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-attachment-18.jpg  

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-attachment-19.jpg  

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-attachment-20.jpg  

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-attachment-21.jpg  

4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-attachment-23.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got mine today!
    Looks great, but how's the ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Hey Trail717, since this thread was revived from the locker, how bout an update on this bike? Do you still have it? Is it still working as original? How's the leaf joint holding up?
    time to put the objections to the leaf spring to bed once and for all……………..

wow this is old stuff, I sold the frame after my aborted 08 CTR attempt

see
    http://desertmountainride.blogspot.c...-11500-ft.html
    for the gory details

As far as the leaf spring there was never a problem with it in all the time I had the bike. I was not 100% satisfied with the tubing angles but I am the one that spec’ed them.

If you want much much more than a classic soft-tail but the light weight of a HT this is the best rear suspension option in existence imo.

The ONLY reason I did not pick a new La Ruta frame vs my current HT for my upcoming TDR attempt was I wanted to use ‘all’ the main triangle space for a large frame bag.

see
    http://desertmountaindivide.blogspot.com/
    for the current ride

look forward to "Truth!'s" ride reports
    ---------------
    me have blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Awsome welds...
    How's the ride?
    Especially interested in the stability in offcamber turns and if the backwheel is tracking the front wheel on grooves parallel to riding direction.
    This characteristic can also be tested riding on and off in a sharp angle on a sloping kerbstone, if the rear flexes, the tire will try to keep its own line.
    Compared with a hardtail and with same wheels and tire pressure could make it more obvious.
    Also systems with pivotpoint on the crankaxle and no link in the chain stay can suffer some pedal-kickback.
    Give the positive reviews I've read so far I might be to skeptical .

mtbr member
    May 2005

Funk Yeah!

Funk Yeah!
    I only have one hammerfest on her so far, but so far she is sweeeet! I have to monkey with the rp23 some. I don't notice any rear "wag" and I was pushing her to find her limits- which I didn't find yet. The suspension feels totally active- which I haven't had for a long time. I realize now that my Ti Titus 29er would pack up easily, not doing me any favors. The biggest thing I have noticed right away the unbelievable traction. Short 17.875 and with the sag in the shock keeps the rear wheel down (and still active) on the climbs- I was hitting all the steep climbs standing in 2 gears harder than I normally hit the hills with. Time to move up to a 34t in the front! I was hauln' arse! I turned the propedal off for one long down hill and didn't notice "much" rear tracking wag (i am looking for it, and her limits)- I am running a very fast rear tire Bonty 20.3 and its not the best in high speed corning. I was also able to out turn and cut hard in very techy switchbacks (Its unbelievable- feels like a 26"). We have really tight rooty rocky single track here in the north east and I was cleaning the trail with her- taking the tightest most aggressive lines and loving it! I must say we got the size (24.6 ett, 71hta) can't remember what we did the bb at- but with sag its PERFECT. Fits, and rides great! Didn't want to stop ridding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2 lbs FS Funk La Ruta-attachment-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just order a single speed version! Just have to raise the cash! LOVE my geared version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi Truth!
    You still loving this bike?
    Best
    M

mtbr member
    May 2005
    LOVE my race bike! Its a real weapon- this is my third cat 1 season I'm going to be racing on her- that's about 40+ races so far- and no looking back! Been a great "investment"! I'm trying to get Big D to build me a Classic Cruiser singlespeed, but we both have been distracted by other projects. I haven't been on her all winter (been hitting the fatbike hard) so its going to be really interesting to go from a 35lb monster with 1800 gram tires to a 22lb (est no scale) Ferrari ! First race April 1!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi again

Thanks for that. I'm looking for a special bike just for intermediate level XC. Not racing just a pleasure to ride. I like the look of this bike so will look to order one.

Best

M

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It is tight! Call and ask for Daryl or Dave, tell them I said YO! You can also give me a call to chat about her. Where you located? Riding is believing!
    Word!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've been in email contact with Dave. He is going to spec something up for me. I live in Wellington, New Zealand.
    best
    Murray

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Doesn't the new La Ruta have Isogrid carbon inserted into the downtube? Seems like a great way to stiffen the bike and allow for thinner tubes. Just wonder how its bonded and would it last.

Members who have read this thread: 0