mtbr member
    Aug 2008

3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti. Anyone else broken one or more?

1st Ridgeline 29 SL - 815 miles, cracked.

2nd Ridgeline 29 VF - 3,370 miles, cracked.

3rd M290 (Ridgeline geometry) 1,257 miles, cracked.

4th ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sounds like u should give up on Lynskey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    What is the time frame that you are riding these given miles in? If you are riding that many miles in a fairly short period of time then fatigue may happen quicker. Also, could be your particular riding style vs. the frame/brand. If you ride a bike that is meant more for XC like a DH/AM bike then of course it is going to break. So are you riding as the designer intended the bike to be ridden (or in this case the frame)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    @ Vic-20

I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    These are all XC bikes and ridden as such. None were abused or misused.

I don't see how time is a factor, nor should it be.

mtbr member
    mmcclusk2 cracking where on the frame? Welds or tubes? And are they addressing by adding gussets or using straight gauge ti tubing instead of lightweight butted. Heat treated?
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclusk2 View Post
    4th ??
    I have.
    Sounded like you were going for round 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    What is the time frame that you are riding these given miles in? If you are riding that many miles in a fairly short period of time then fatigue may happen quicker. Also, could be your particular riding style vs. the frame/brand. If you ride a bike that is meant more for XC like a DH/AM bike then of course it is going to break. So are you riding as the designer intended the bike to be ridden (or in this case the frame)?
    Fatigue doesn't happen on Ti frames. Exceeding the stress/elastic limit will cause a Ti frame to fail just like an aluminum one. It's either failing because of understress failure, which means it was being used within the design criteria and had a flaw for whatever reason(not always manufacturer) or over stress, being used past it's intended design criteria.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    3 strikes and you're out. I'd find a different frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

What is your height, weight and inseam lenght?
    And what is the size of the frame?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Fatigue doesn't happen on Ti frames. Exceeding the stress/elastic limit will cause a Ti frame to fail just like an aluminum one. It's either failing because of understress failure, which means it was being used within the design criteria and had a flaw for whatever reason(not always manufacturer) or over stress, being used past it's intended design criteria.
    Ok I wasn't sure if Ti fatigued differently than aluminum would or how drastically. I was wondering too that if significant mileage was put on in a very short period of time (have family friends that are racers and will do 100+ mile rides every other weekend with shorter rides almost everyday in-between) if that would influence the fatigue statistics. Sounds like it may have been a bad batch of Ti tubing? As Ti is not cheap I am sure Lynskey would want to make it right but I would probably go with a different company (Moots maybe) and sell of the replacement frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by metrotuned View Post
    mmcclusk2 cracking where on the frame? Welds or tubes? And are they addressing by adding gussets or using straight gauge ti tubing instead of lightweight butted. Heat treated?
    I'm going to guess around the headtube or chainstay. Probably headtube. I know someone else who is on their 3rd frame. I sold mine (it was a road bike) after the repair of the first crack (tube split about 2 inches up the chainstay on mine).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok I wasn't sure if Ti fatigued differently than aluminum would or how drastically. I was wondering too that if significant mileage was put on in a very short period of time (have family friends that are racers and will do 100+ mile rides every other weekend with shorter rides almost everyday in-between) if that would influence the fatigue statistics. Sounds like it may have been a bad batch of Ti tubing? As Ti is not cheap I am sure Lynskey would want to make it right but I would probably go with a different company (Moots maybe) and sell of the replacement frame.
    Yep, no effect, because titanium doesn't fatigue. Whether this is an advantage is really not clear, as many aluminum frames last a long time and at least on paper, it's unlikely anyone will ever put as many "cycles" on them as required for a fatigue failure. Most failures are due to overstress, a design imperfection, or corrosion/damage, actual fatigue would be one of the rarest IMO, usually it's premature failure of a section or part, and Titanium is just as susceptible as anything else in this case.
    Last edited by Jayem; 02-04-2015 at 09:13 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Trail Ninja
    Can only suspect contaminated welds (example), weakness in the heat affected zones, etc. without pics. Low grade tubing from less reputable suppliers is also something that can be suspected. Don't expect Steve Potts level workmanship from Lynskey. I've seen custom builders criticize high production Ti fabs when they see pics (ex. factory tour) of the heat-related damage to tubes (ex. oxidization), saying that the damage reduces the life of the bike, and I caught a reply to the criticism implying that the bike will be disposed of well before that happens and that their generous warranty will cover it in case it does fail. I've questioned the "Ti is forever" saying ever since... well, maybe with exceptions like Eriksen and Potts. I know I'm not surprised to hear of your issues, as cutting corners with the welding process leads to such bummer stories. They're trying to weld up many bikes quickly, with nice-looking weld beads, and I bet a bit of oxidization is acceptable to them considering the process they use to achieve their production quota. They can just easily remove the evidence in the frame finishing stage, but it doesn't remove the problem. Contamination = very bad.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 02-05-2015 at 12:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Some gnar pals of mine still ride 20+yo merlin extralights. I secretly hate them a lilittle

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This time it was on the weld where they put in the aluminum seat post insert.

2nd one was the bottom of the seat tube, not on weld.

All mountain bikes.

HA! Lynskey doesn't use butted tubes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbvx67 View Post
    How much do you weigh?
    150-160 lbs depending on time of year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well,I certianly don't think that is the problem then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I had a cracked chain stay on my road bike, took forever for them to fix and terrible communication. Then I had some creaking coming from the seat tube and realized the aluminum insert was too small. They didn't want to believe me or the shop owner (a long time and successful litespeed dealer). They tried to blame it on the thomson post being under sized. Sh!t happens, but it's how you handle your sh!t that counts. If I have any other issues, I am getting rid of the bike. Just hoping it will hold up a couple of years so I can save for something else.

mtbr member
    Hello, you can put pictures of cracks ? Thanks , I just broke a Kona Raijin ( Lynskey ) greetings and thanks .

transmitter~receiver
    Yep, no effect, because titanium doesn't fatigue
    Just because this thread got dug and I missed it the first time, titanium fatigues just like any metal. It has relatively good fatigue performance, but it definitely does fatigue.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Samumalaga View Post
    Hello, you can put pictures of cracks ? Thanks , I just broke a Kona Raijin ( Lynskey ) greetings and thanks .
    Can you post pictures of your Raijin cracks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I still want to be cautious , you will have the photos.

mtbr member

Trail Junkie
    I've had my Pro29 SL since 2012, and I've pushed it through the ringer...6hr race the first weekend I had it.

It's been flawless. I weigh 175-180lb 5'8 on a size small.

That said, I know 1 person that willingly bought a Lynskey that had a small crack at the chainstay driveside plate.

Another had a crack at the rear dropout, and then again in the same place after it was fixed.

Both of these were the Ridgeline models or M290..so there may be a difference in the quality of the work from their low-tier, mid-tier and top-tier frames.

I could be wrong, but isn't the Raijin also on the same tier as the Ridgeline?
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

my body breaks the falls
    Only one (so far) for me, but I'm bummed anyway. This is a Lynskey built Salsa El mar.
    Have a friend who will be fixing it up with a gusset since I'm not the original owner.

3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti.  Anyone else broken one or more?-img_2768.jpg
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

my body breaks the falls
    I pick it up next weekend. Turned out pretty well from the pictures... the crack was welded and a gusset added.

Materials acquired
    3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti.  Anyone else broken one or more?-img_0549.jpg

Tacked into place
    3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti.  Anyone else broken one or more?-img_0551.jpg

And done
    3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti.  Anyone else broken one or more?-img_0566.jpg
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Only one (so far) for me, but I'm bummed anyway. This is a Lynskey built Salsa El mar.
    Have a friend who will be fixing it up with a gusset since I'm not the original owner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2768.JPG 
Views:	1479 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1005987
    Your frame is not guaranteed?

Turns right to go left
    1st Ridgeline 29 SL - 815 miles, cracked.

2nd Ridgeline 29 VF - 3,370 miles, cracked.

3rd M290 (Ridgeline geometry) 1,257 miles, cracked.

4th ??

Please provide pictures.

mtbr member
    Did you slam it on a boulder or are Lynskey engineers that bad?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I pick it up next weekend. Turned out pretty well from the pictures... the crack was welded and a gusset added.

Materials acquired

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	1007614

Tacked into place

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG 
Views:	608 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1007615

And done

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG 
Views:	781 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	1007616
    Congratulation, good job…….

TRANCER

Materials acquired

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	1007614

Tacked into place

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG 
Views:	608 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1007615

And done

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG 
Views:	781 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	1007616
    Man! How much weight did your frame gain due to that darn gusset?

LoL jk

Great job getting that fixed. Even looks cool.
    Ride

mtbr member
    just going off of testimontials... motobecane make more durable frames than lynskey... no doubt..

mtbr member
    I have 2 ti bikes.. and if I ever break a frame, Ill be thinking about steel...

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    just going off of testimontials... motobecane make more durable frames than lynskey... no doubt..
    This is a moronic conclusion.

Trail Junkie
    I don't know what to make of all this.
    I've had my Lynskey Pro29 SL for about 4years with no problems.
    I also use the EVNE clamp setback post with a significant amount of seatpost
    sticking out...more so than Biohazard's picture where he's reenforced the seat tube. I'm also 185lb sometimes more, so no featherweight.

Now admittedly, I treat my saddle like a saddle meaning my ass isn't glued to it, and I do ride SS most of the time so I am standing a lot, and run my saddle flat rather than nose-up (pictured).

Even still, the additional leverage created by a setback post should be more.

I have a really hard time believing that Motobecane frames are stronger. I know they have good sales, but I've seen 1-2 compared to the 30-40 in a fairly large MTB community here.

I also believe that Motobecanes serve a different market than Lynskey. Lynskey's market is catered to the enthusiast/racer high end market....where the owners tend to ride a lot and put a significant amount of miles on their bikes. Where Motobecane gives you that little slice of titanium heaven but a more conceivable price for the amateur rider that wants a race capable bike. This isn't to say the Motobecane can't be raced, but the racers that invest into their bikes tend to go in the no-compromise direction.

This is obviously my opinion, and of course you can disagree, but I'm just calling it how I see it as an owner, but also someone that has helped others through bike purchasing decisions and suggesting the Motobecane route based on their ambitions.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I don't know what to make of all this.
    I've had my Lynskey Pro29 SL for about 4years with no problems.
    I also use the EVNE clamp setback post with a significant amount of seatpost
    sticking out...more so than Biohazard's picture where he's reenforced the seat tube. I'm also 185lb sometimes more, so no featherweight.

Now admittedly, I treat my saddle like a saddle meaning my ass isn't glued to it, and I do ride SS most of the time so I am standing a lot, and run my saddle flat rather than nose-up (pictured).

Even still, the additional leverage created by a setback post should be more.

I have a really hard time believing that Motobecane frames are stronger. I know they have good sales, but I've seen 1-2 compared to the 30-40 in a fairly large MTB community here.

I also believe that Motobecanes serve a different market than Lynskey. Lynskey's market is catered to the enthusiast/racer high end market....where the owners tend to ride a lot and put a significant amount of miles on their bikes. Where Motobecane gives you that little slice of titanium heaven but a more conceivable price for the amateur rider that wants a race capable bike. This isn't to say the Motobecane can't be raced, but the racers that invest into their bikes tend to go in the no-compromise direction.

This is obviously my opinion, and of course you can disagree, but I'm just calling it how I see it as an owner, but also someone that has helped others through bike purchasing decisions and suggesting the Motobecane route based on their ambitions.
    As an outside observer with a longstanding interest in buying a Ti hardtail, I definitely get the sense that Lynskey is opting out of the "high-end" market. Their pricing is very good, and they make well-priced frames for other people, but it's hard to imagine they can compete with the quality of a truly high-end Ti builder like Moots or some of the all custom shops with their current pricing.

Trail Junkie
    hillharman - Actually Lynskey Performance works a bit different than Indy Fab, Moots, Form and the other customs where they build to order.

Lynskey Performance does "product runs" to make the process more efficient. They will do a product run of medium Pro29s, then a product run of larges, then XL. Then move onto another model. Sometimes they have the frame you're looking for in stock, sometimes it takes a couple months for when the do and complete the next product run.

Now they do offer custom for an upcost, those are made to order.

So their approach is really more like a mass-production manufacturing model than build to order.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    hillharman - Actually Lynskey Performance works a bit different than Indy Fab, Moots, Form and the other customs where they build to order.

Lynskey Performance does "product runs" to make the process more efficient. They will do a product run of medium Pro29s, then a product run of larges, then XL. Then move onto another model. Sometimes they have the frame you're looking for in stock, sometimes it takes a couple months for when the do and complete the next product run.

So their approach is really more like a mass-production manufacturing model than build to order.
    ^^^^

This.......plus just the sheer volume they produce brings down the cost.

As a previous owner of STEEL, Alum ,Scandium and Ti hard tails.....I am sticking with carbon

mtbr member
    Just get my frame Lynskey factory, I hope
    it's a good job and not sloppy. Four months of waiting
    for this.
    Follow me on instagram please, morfeo78 thanks.
    3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti.  Anyone else broken one or more?-uploadfromtaptalk1447057714324.jpg

Enviado desde un sansun con lápiz

mtbr member

Oh, they're like Gunnar is to Waterford then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samumalaga View Post
    Your frame is not guaranteed?
    my el mar cracked at the exact same spot. even the crack looks similar with that little dip in the center…

It's with Lynskey now, not sure yet what'll happen...

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex(K) View Post
    my el mar cracked at the exact same spot. even the crack looks similar with that little dip in the center…

It's with Lynskey now, not sure yet what'll happen...
    So Salsa isn't handling the warranty of their Lynskey built El Mar?

I owned one of those years ago and one of the reasons I got an El Mar instead of just buying Lynskey direct was that I figured I had a better chance of a hassle-free warranty experience with Salsa.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just because this thread got dug and I missed it the first time, titanium fatigues just like any metal. It has relatively good fatigue performance, but it definitely does fatigue.
    Fatigue limit vs life (endurance). Below a certain criteria, certain alloys have an almost indefinite life as far as cycles, different enough than aluminum to be deemed "indefinite".

Cracks that have been shown in this thread are absolutely not massive overload failures (which are rare with any bike), they are the result of stress-risers or under-designed junctions, where an overload happens on a microscopic scale, starts a crack that propagates with each cycle.

If all of the junctures and structures in the frame were able to hold up to the intended fatigue limit, we wouldn't have any cracks. The formation of cracks shows they are not.

transmitter~receiver
    Fatigue limit vs life (endurance). Below a certain criteria, certain alloys have an almost indefinite life as far as cycles, different enough than aluminum to be deemed "indefinite".

Cracks that have been shown in this thread are absolutely not massive overload failures (which are rare with any bike), they are the result of stress-risers or under-designed junctions, where an overload happens on a microscopic scale, starts a crack that propagates with each cycle.

If all of the junctures and structures in the frame were able to hold up to the intended fatigue limit, we wouldn't have any cracks. The formation of cracks shows they are not.
    The copy-and-paste warrior strikes again...
    I can't even tell what your point is, and some of what you are saying is nonsensical (e.g., hold up to he fatigue limit).
    It's been a while, but IIRC you said titanium doesn't fatigue, which is, of course, horsesh!t, like much of what you post.

mtbr member
    Salsa told my LBS to send it to Lynsey to have a look. We'll see what happens. "Technically" I am dealing with Salsa.

Ahhh the pain....
    OK...so kinda old thread but figured I'd toss in my experience.... Broke my 2010 Lynskey Ridgeline for the 6th time this week (yes, 6TH!). Generally same place (where the seat stays meet the BB shell). Seems each fix lasts about 6-8 months.
    Done with it and all Lynskey designed/manufactured products.
    btw, I'm 160 lbs, single speeder, and generally ride aggressive.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Aerospace-grade, US sourced titanium is very scarce, these days. I would not doubt Lynskey sneaked across the big pond for their ti....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Elitest thrill junkie
    The copy-and-paste warrior strikes again...
    I can't even tell what your point is, and some of what you are saying is nonsensical (e.g., hold up to he fatigue limit).
    It's been a while, but IIRC you said titanium doesn't fatigue, which is, of course, horsesh!t, like much of what you post.
    Old thread, but now I actually will cut-n-paste for you, since this seems like a difficult concept:

Fatigue limit, endurance limit, and fatigue strength are all expressions used to describe a property of materials: the amplitude (or range) of cyclic stress that can be applied to the material without causing fatigue failure.[1] Ferrous alloys and titanium alloys[2] have a distinct limit, an amplitude below which there appears to be no number of cycles that will cause failure. Other structural metals such as aluminium and copper do not have a distinct limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes. In these cases, a number of cycles (usually 107) is chosen to represent the fatigue life of the material.
    Below the limit, titanium can take what is essentially an unlimited number of cycles. Overload it, and it will fail, either on a massive scale, or locally on a small scale. If it fails on a small scale, it'll propagate with each cycle, and you'll get the classic titanium cracked frame. This is either due to a flaw, under-designed part, or simple overload, although most overloads are easy to detect and result in massive failure, often bent or sheared tubes.

Ahhh the pain....
    Truly believe that vintage of Ridgelines had a design flaw in that the chain stays were angled in until they almost touched at the point of being welded to the BB shell(68mm shell). That provided a point where the lateral compliance was low and hence all the bending during standing pedaling occurred there. The newer designs used a 73mm shell with a plate stay on the drive side. That stifffened up that part such that there was no significant discontinuity in lateral stiffness. Now was the tubing cheap and thus have inferior fatigue properties? Sure and combine that with a guy like me who rides it hard and often and you have a "perfect storm" of sorts....high load, lots of cycles, low than average matl props, and weak design....no wonder it has broken 6x at the same place. Done with it...hanging it on the wall for artwork now.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Done with it...hanging it on the wall for artwork now.
    What's next? Optimus?
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    ...nvm...

Want to vent?
    I'll chime in...Friend broke 2 and now I broke one - a ridgeline SS. New frame, had 12 total singlespeed rides on it. Cracked at the downtube/headtube.
    I'm guessing they are using some poor titanium or a dirty work environment. Sure you can get lucky but I would not recommend these frames, there is a reason these are usually cheap and I rolled the dice and lost. And I am coming from a 2001 litespeed that wouldn't quit.
    Pretty disappointed. TN titanium is going downhill fast...or not. Buyer beware.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is Lynskey still making crap?
    I am buying A gravel bike and I am talking to two different dealers. Both dealers say Lynskey tubes are much heavier and lower quality versus most of the others. Both dealers are pushing me towards Litespeed gravel bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1 View Post
    Is Lynskey still making crap?
    I am buying A gravel bike and I am talking to two different dealers. Both dealers say Lynskey tubes are much heavier and lower quality versus most of the others. Both dealers are pushing me towards Litespeed gravel bikes.
    In my view they never did. I researched this topic as throughly as I could before I ordered a Pro 29 DI2 XT 2x. I started by asking actual owners mostly in person about their bikes, Lynskey, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Moots and a few others. Because my sample was small, I will not bad mouth anyone’s bike. I read and watched failures on the web. Talked to dealers but they turned out to be the worst source as they are very biased. Here is what I believe to be true. All frames builders have failures. Some due to being improperly built or designed, designed limits exceeded for were crashed. Now builders are not responsible for crashes or course. Nor are failures due to design limits being exceeded. I personally seen several trail riders jump in front of me and break their frames. So mostly it comes down improperly built or designed frames that we are talking about. Now Lynskey has been building frames longer than some of you have been alive. They were working with metal before Litespeed. So they fully understand the material and like all builders, their designs are constantly improving. I have read about Moots and Lynskey frame failures. What we do not know is how they broke it. If I break a Trek Procaliber frame, it will cost me 2,500 dollars to replace if it was my fault, 80% of that 2,500 if I crash the frame and nothing if it is Trek’s fault. So guess what many folks claim happened to their frame. Just riding along and then............my frame broke. So when I read about these failure on line, be very skeptical.
    So I buy the Pro 29 and it turned out to be the most comfortable, fast and smoothest ride ever out of 24 bikes so far. Brushed Finish with etched graphics and no paint to chip. Cleans up so easily. Got about 800 miles on her and she looks mavious. Went with the Pro due to the claimed added stiffness. First pedal stroke and you are smiling with the get up and go feeling. And sooooo smooth. So in the end, I deceided to get the bike I wanted and Lynskey’s lifetime warranty. I did discover a rather wide range of satisfaction from the builder if a frame did break. Lynskey was a top contender of customer service where one builder did not do so well. Again, small sample so no names. I was concerned at one time about Lynskey customer service based on some posts I read. I looked into some of these as best I could. Some complain of defective components which is not Lynskey’s deal. Others complain of minor stuff that seemed trivial. I am very pleased with the bike and all the circumstances around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've never seen a ti framed bike without a crack. I have no idea why people love them so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree that SRAM faulty brakes is NOT a Lynskey fault.
    I think the guy with the Linskey that has the faulty SRAM brakes has his anger miss placed and needs to deal with it through the SRAM the component manufacture, and not trash LYNSKEY.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Haha that is good humor.

mtbr member
    3rd Cracked Lynskey Ti.  Anyone else broken one or more?-29104b80-654e-4b51-ba6c-0251ed0ab866.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I've never seen a ti framed bike without a crack. I have no idea why people love them so much.
    Own one and you will understand. Look at my bike and you will see no cracks. Then you can no longer make that claim.

mtbr member
    My dealer told me Lynskey no longer builds their own frames so buy this Trek. So wrong!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Look at my bike and you will see no cracks.
    We get it. You are happy with the frame. But cracked lynskeys have been a fairly frequent topic on here since I've been around.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I just picked up a Motobecane Titanium. It has a excellent ride. It feels so right, light flickable and quality. It feels lighter than than it is. Titanium is a different ride all together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Name:	29104B80-654E-4B51-BA6C-0251ED0AB866.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	1200804

Own one and you will understand. Look at my bike and you will see no cracks. Then you can no longer make that claim.
    Yet....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    History of titanium 101. In the 60's drag racers and motorcycle riders started to experiment with titanium. The military/aerospace industry were the biggest users. There were even a few bicycles that tried them. Now of course it was pure titanium and I know nothing of today's alloys. The bikes were a failure because riding one was like riding a dead frame. Ti had zero Youngs Modulus. Take a ball of it and drop it on an anvil, zero bounce. The design just swapped the material without looking at design. Todays bikes make sure the frame has little flex and it was the flexing that cause the frames to fail after a number of hours of use. The drag racers and motocycle groups outlawed Ti because it failed without detectable warnings because Ti fails inside out. Steel had magna flux, aluminum has zyglo, Ti went from full strength to failure with no warning. NHRA today realized TI was necessary to make the Top Fuel work so they use it again, they just count the number of runs and replace often enough to anticipate and prevent failure. When the failure rate went up, the number of runs was lowered. Ultimately they decided to shorten the ¼ mile to 1000 feet. Much of the competition world is obviously going carbon fiber to avoid what would be a traditional titanium use. I wish I knew more about the material Lynskey uses but from the pictures of the cracks, it looks more like the welding material than the tubing.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yep, seen lots of broken ti frames.
    I broke my Blacksheep twice.
    Now I have an On One Inbred and a Nordest Bardino (both steel).
    Surprisingly the Taiwanese made truss fork in my On One has lasted twice as long as my Blacksheep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Yet....
    Yet is so true as it is with everything. Homer Simpson famous quote at the end of his movie...”Best kiss ever....so far”. All is good until it is isn’t! That said, you can break just about anything if you try or it is a piece of junk. Spend your money and take your chances. New material is on the way. Graphene will change our lives is very many ways....
    Last edited by Pedalon2018; 05-29-2018 at 03:46 AM.

it took 5 years, and a shit ton of miles, for my RIdgeline to crack the first time (top tube at head tube). Only 2 years (and plenty more hard miles) to crack the second time(seat tube at top tube). Just got it back from #2. Hoping that is it.

BTW,
    I know a couple of guys who have had their Seven Ti frames break multiple times. At least the Lynskey was way cheaper.

mtbr member
    How did the Lynskey Folks respond to your issues? They have always treated me fairly.

How did the Lynskey Folks respond to your issues? They have always treated me fairly.
    They have fixed the issue both times. However, it takes a good long while - at least a couple of weeks for the repair, plus shipping time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    They have fixed the issue both times. However, it takes a good long while - at least a couple of weeks for the repair, plus shipping time.
    I could deal with that. Not too bad. I always have something else to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ti cracks, not worth the trouble, makes great yard or wall art.

If you must have a steel like bike, get steel.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Ti cracks, not worth the trouble, makes great yard or wall art.

If you must have a steel like bike, get steel.
    Steel cracks from even the best builders and I am sure you understand that. You can read about it here on this Forum. Pay your money and take your chances. Titanium will not rust and rides way better than steel. I know cause almost half of the 24 bikes I have owned were steel. But no more as I am high on Ti!

Steel cracks from even the best builders and I am sure you understand that. You can read about it here on this Forum. Pay your money and take your chances. Titanium will not rust and rides way better than steel. I know cause almost half of the 24 bikes I have owned were steel. But no more as I am high on Ti!
    Agree.

I've broken ti, steel, and aluminum frames - and i'm no heavyweight (about 160lbs). Haven't had a carbon frame until recently, so we'll see how that goes.

I do still love riding my Lynskey - despite the issues.

mtbr member
    The only bike frame I have every had crack on me was steel. (aluminum and carbon no). However the steel bike was repaired and it is still going. If I replaced it I would do Ti, but not a Lynskey. Of course one major factor in that is that I can't get that steel tubing in bike frame any longer.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have 3 litespeeds 2 from when Lynskey owned the company. I was in a huge crash in a race that broke me and my OBED. Litespeed fixed the frame, NO charge!
    The crash was caused due to faulty Avid brakes coming apart. On a long fast descent and a huge tree across the trail, not realizing my rear brake had failed I waited too long to brake and almost became a paraplegic. It was a very high impact collision with a immovable object. I also had put a ton of miles on the OBED because at the time it was my only bike and I was racing all over the mid atlantic at the time.
    In my opinion any bike would have exploded or failed in the same crash.
    My OBED cracked a little at the down tube head tube weld.
    I now also I have a Litespeed GRAVEL and I love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I also have a 2016 9.8 Trek REMEDY 29 (carbon) that I like a lot and it has been good to this point.
    I can pedal when ever I want, unlike a lot of bikes today (since 2017)with the long low slack geometry that causes the rider to constantly smash the pedals into EVERYTHING.