Thread: 3500.00 bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

3500.00 bike?

Researching bikes and want to make sure Iím not missing one. If you had 3500.00, what full suspension aluminum 29er would you get and why? Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    What sort of riding do you want to do with it?

There a lots of options but something XC will suck at AM and vice versa.

what is on your shortlist at the moment?

WillWorkForTrail
    Depending on what sort of riding I was doing, a Trail Pistol or a Smash. If I was pointed downhill a lot and maybe didn't have to ride up a lot of hills, maybe a Sentinel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Trek Fuel EX8. Great reviews, great components, new geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol or Smash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I live in Colorado so Iíll have long uphills and crazy downhills. I demoed a TRek ex8 last week, loved it but I have a 2008 ex8 now, same exact color as the new one so Iíd like something different if possible.

Ideal for me is a good rear lock out shock so I can get up the mountain and then good downhill. The trek did climb great but still had some pedal bob but not near as bad as my 2008.

The other one I plan to demo this week is Rocky Mountain intense. Looking for other options though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Any of the 2018 Nukeproof Megas
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

Short-Change-Hero
    YT Jeffsy for sure...
    Whyte t-130 or s-150 if you want more travel
    Keep an eye out for the new Knolly 29er
    Niner Jet or Rip

But probably the two most capable in your price range are going to be the Jeffsy and the Fuel EX8.

mtbr member
    I live in Utah and ride similar terrain. I haven't used a lock out in probably 10 years. The current rear suspension designs are very good at allowing for efficient climbing while giving you suspension for rough terrain. If you just need it for fire road climbing, fine, but I think you should put a good rear lock out at the back of your priorities.

An additional consideration might be to determine if the rear will take a 2.6" tire. You may not want one now - or ever - but having the option might be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    YT Jeffsy seems like the best value for the $$, if they ever get a shipment of new ones...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Banshee Phantom or Prime

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    YT jeffsy is out of stock until march, and I cant demo easy and I wont buy with no demo so they are excluded.

Niner used to be the go to bike but it seems like no many people like them now?

Is Banshee a legit bike company?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Parks71 View Post
    YT jeffsy is out of stock until march, and I cant demo easy and I wont buy with no demo so they are excluded.

Niner used to be the go to bike but it seems like no many people like them now?

Is Banshee a legit bike company?
    Yeah the YT are popular so you have to keep on top of it. Keep an eye out for their demo days as they have their vans constantly wandering the US. Have talked to a few people that have demo'd them and they are well worth it. Riding buddy even went as far as to visit their offices (we live in Northern NV where they are based) on a weekly basis and was able to get one and loves it. Took a quick ride on that and the Capra and both are quite sick bikes.

Niner was the go to only because they were the forerunner in the 29er market when 29ers were still new aged. Now that everyone and their mother has a 29er of decent trail-worthiness they are not such a hot name. Doesn't mean their bikes are not worth while, still quite good from what I have heard as of recently.

Never seen or ridden a Banshee so can't comment but they are a legit bike company.

Others that you could look into as well since you are in CO and they are local companies..
    Durango Bike company - Blackjacke
    SpotBrand Bikes - Mayhem
    Those two will likely be out of your price range but I am one of those that would rather save up my extra pennies and ride my clunker a bit longer to support a local to me company than not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yeah the YT are popular so you have to keep on top of it. Keep an eye out for their demo days as they have their vans constantly wandering the US. Have talked to a few people that have demo'd them and they are well worth it. Riding buddy even went as far as to visit their offices (we live in Northern NV where they are based) on a weekly basis and was able to get one and loves it. Took a quick ride on that and the Capra and both are quite sick bikes.

Niner was the go to only because they were the forerunner in the 29er market when 29ers were still new aged. Now that everyone and their mother has a 29er of decent trail-worthiness they are not such a hot name. Doesn't mean their bikes are not worth while, still quite good from what I have heard as of recently.

Never seen or ridden a Banshee so can't comment but they are a legit bike company.

Others that you could look into as well since you are in CO and they are local companies..
    Durango Bike company - Blackjacke
    SpotBrand Bikes - Mayhem
    Those two will likely be out of your price range but I am one of those that would rather save up my extra pennies and ride my clunker a bit longer to support a local to me company than not.

Was just quoted 2500.00 for a brand new Trek EX-8 29er, for this price, I dont think anything can touch it, not even a Jeffsy. Take the deal right?

Short-Change-Hero
    Was just quoted 2500.00 for a brand new Trek EX-8 29er, for this price, I dont think anything can touch it, not even a Jeffsy. Take the deal right?
    New? Yeah that is definitely hard to beat. Take that and then if there is something that you feel you dont like invest that extra $1k into it.

Personally I would take it and dump the Rhythm fork (personal preference on FOX stuff) and maybe go with a lighter wheelset. Pretty good spec and especially at that price seeing as you are getting GX 12spd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Go to Bermuda for a nice long weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    New? Yeah that is definitely hard to beat. Take that and then if there is something that you feel you dont like invest that extra $1k into it.

Personally I would take it and dump the Rhythm fork (personal preference on FOX stuff) and maybe go with a lighter wheelset. Pretty good spec and especially at that price seeing as you are getting GX 12spd.

Interesting, when I bought my bike in 2008, Fox was the one to get. Rock Shox was not and I had 2 rock shox fail on me. Either way, as bad as I DIDNT want a Trek since I have had a trek for 10 years and this one is the exact same color, still going to look at that instinct although I doubt its worth 600-700 more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

3500.00 bike?

Wow...thatís about same price I paid for my 2017 ex8. Yeah, thatís a lot of bike for $2,500 brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    Wow...thatís about same price I paid for my 2017 ex8. Yeah, thatís a lot of bike for $2,500 brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It is a lot of bike, but man, same brand, same exact color as my 10 year old bike. I know I sound like a girl about the color but I didnt even like the color when I bought mine 10 years ago and now I get stuck with it again.

Short-Change-Hero
    Plasti-dip and some stickers to change things up. Or you could swap some parts out for things to make it a little different. For some reason I keep gravitating towards purple bikes. I blame it on my moms way of spiting me from up above telling she doesnít approve of me necessarily spending that much on a ďbikeĒ.. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Wow! Who quoted you that price? Iím interested in an ex8 too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The 2008 Fuel ex is a very different bike than a 2017/2018 Fuel ex. Name and color are about all they have in common.

I had a similar budget as you and went with the 2018 Fuel ex8. I looked at the YT Jeffsey too, but decided against it. From the info I gathered the YT would be better on the downhills, but the Trek would be better on the uphills. Both would do well at both though. The trails I normally ride are fairly tame so went with the Trek. That and since my previous bike was broken I didnít want to wait months with no bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Researching bikes and want to make sure Iím not missing one. If you had 3500.00, what full suspension aluminum 29er would you get and why? Thanks!
    Trek Fuel EX8 Plus.
    It will do nearly anything
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Plus over the 29er? Why?

> 55
    Aug 2014
    If you have not visited the YT site lately......change in distribution system (bummed for the zinks - http://reviews.mtbr.com/yt-industries-shuts-down-distributor-to-open-new-us-office)

does not solve the demo issue for you - trek might still be a better deal????

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/260

$2k for the basic capra as of a few days ago! (sorry you said 29er)

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

$2k for the basic 29er Jeffsy - looking at this bike myself and room for a few upgrades

Not sure how long that will last, but probably worth a serious look ($$$$) in my opinion.

Good Luck. A lot of good bikes out there to upgrade from your older trek.
    Last edited by gerryl; 12-05-2017 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd go for a Santa Cruz Tallboy AL in the R build for $3300 or pony up for $3900 for the same bike/build in carbon.

Why the Tallboy? Prob one of the best one bike quivers out there if you're just riding around trails (not doing gravity riding) and SC makes a very reliable bike with an outstanding warranty. I've owned a lot of full suspension bikes and my current SC is the best in terms of build quality, fit and finish and overall all go-out-and-ride-the-snot-out-of-it-and-not-worry-about-it factor.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'd go for a Santa Cruz Tallboy AL in the R build for $3300 or pony up for $3900 for the same bike/build in carbon.

Why the Tallboy? Prob one of the best one bike quivers out there if you're just riding around trails (not doing gravity riding) and SC makes a very reliable bike with an outstanding warranty. I've owned a lot of full suspension bikes and my current SC is the best in terms of build quality, fit and finish and overall all go-out-and-ride-the-snot-out-of-it-and-not-worry-about-it factor.

Yeah, Tallboy looks like itís worth a look. Climbing is important to me but Iím getting stuck on the eagle drive the trek has. Surprised the YT nor the Santa Cruz or the Rocky Mountain instinct have the eagle. Iím going Thursday to look and hopefully buy something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    If youíre looking for value for the money with $3500, I would absolutely not go for a low end carbon Santa Cruz. It comes with low end components found on bikes costing hundreds and hundreds less. If carbon and having the Santa Cruz name on your frame is the most important thing to you, then go for it. But for $3500, there are much better choices out there. But if you can get a mid-high end previous model year SC on sale within your budget, go for it. Great bikes. Just stupidly overpriced.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Another vote for fuel ex8

$3200

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, Tallboy looks like itís worth a look. Climbing is important to me but Iím getting stuck on the eagle drive the trek has. Surprised the YT nor the Santa Cruz or the Rocky Mountain instinct have the eagle. Iím going Thursday to look and hopefully buy something.
    I love my GX 1 x 11 and have heard mixed reviews of the new 12 speed Eagle. But if you're concerned about going up, you'll climb like a billy goat with the Eagle's 50t 12 speed cassette. I've also read glowing reviews of the Trek Fuel in general.

With the Tallboy, you'll pay a bit more but you're getting an incredibly well built bike that can be upgraded as much as you like. And, from my experience, you're also getting a bike that won't creak, clunk, flex or keep you going back to bike shop every week.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Tallboy comes with a gx 10x42 XD cassette and a 30 tooth raceface crank, so if you wanted to go eagle, you at least don't need to get a new freehub. Also you could throw a e.13 9-46 cassette on there and have an even wider gear range for less $. For what its worth, my lbs has Trek as the flagship brand and SC as a secondary brand and they are all going with SC Tallboys or Hightowers. I say ride them both if you can, they are both really good deals.

You might also look at the Devinci Degango 29er AL, which is a split pivot design similar to the Trek, there are some killer closouts on those. Colorado cyclist has a medium and large 29er carbon on closeout for $2800. .https://www.coloradocyclist.com/devi...-complete-bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nukeproof Mega 290 Pro Bike 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Gonna have to wait but they're the best deal still, the factory is 3600

mtbr member
    I live in Colorado so Iíll have long uphills and crazy downhills. I demoed a TRek ex8 last week, loved it but I have a 2008 ex8 now, same exact color as the new one so Iíd like something different if possible.

Ideal for me is a good rear lock out shock so I can get up the mountain and then good downhill. The trek did climb great but still had some pedal bob but not near as bad as my 2008.

The other one I plan to demo this week is Rocky Mountain intense. Looking for other options though!
    If you're in Colorado, then it would definitely be worth your while to visit Guerilla Gravity to demo a bike...and take a tour to see how they are handmade in your home state.

Guerrilla Gravity | Denver, Colorado, USA Mountain Bike Manufacturing
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

livin' the dream......
    I am in the same boat, with the same budget and it is coming down to the EX8 in 29. I looked at a TB, but did not like the NX spec on the higher of the 2 aluminum builds. The shop told me it would be $400 to pull the NX and add the GX Eagle.

I am ordering my EX8 in 29 tomorrow.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I am in the same boat, with the same budget and it is coming down to the EX8 in 29. I looked at a TB, but did not like the NX spec on the higher of the 2 aluminum builds. The shop told me it would be $400 to pull the NX and add the GX Eagle.

I am ordering my EX8 in 29 tomorrow.
    I made up my mind and got the EX8 last week. I could have got it for 2500.00 plus shipping but found someone local for 2710.00. Yeah I paid tax but I supported the local economy and have local support.

I love it, I donít think thereís a bike that can compete at that price and it rides great. Just love love love the eagle and the rear shock.

mtbr member
    If your in no hurry Canyon Spectral looks like it going to be a nice bike.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Surprised more havenít chimed in regarding the YT Jeffsy in this thread. The Fuel EX 8 is a great bike but based on the specs you get way more for your money with a Jeffsy.

mtbr member
    It isn't a 29er, but what about the new aluminum pivot mach 6?
    Heard good things about the new geo.

mtbr member
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouJerry View Post
    Surprised more havenít chimed in regarding the YT Jeffsy in this thread. The Fuel EX 8 is a great bike but based on the specs you get way more for your money with a Jeffsy.
    When I read about the horror stories about Jeffry taking 4 months to ship, I marked them off the list quick. More travel than I need and some say its not the greatest for climbing due to pedal bob. Climbing is very important to me. The aluminum version of the Jeffsy also doesn't have the eagle gearing system which was a bummer. Jeffsy has unpredictable customer support per reviews, in canada, its supposedly horrible and in EU, its good. They are switching everything over now to be direct so who knows what kind of support will be coming. The fork and the looks were the only thing better than the Trek IMO. I really like the rear shock and gears on the Trek.