32t or 34t in front for 1x10 ?? watcha running??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

32t or 34t in front for 1x10 ?? watcha running??

The rear would be a 12-36.

Running 1x9 now with a 32 front a 11-34 rear.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog
    The rear would be a 12-36.

Running 1x9 now with a 32 front a 11-34 rear.
    This is one that you should answer for yourself because every one will have a different Idea & it only ever comes down to how you ride,were you ride & how much power you have.

If you can push what you have but run out of top end go 34 & if you run out of gears for climbing stick with the 32

Edit if running a 1x 10 I would run 11-36 it gives you a wider gear range.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    ok cool

so shimano or sram???

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Depends what gear you can push

The larger the crank gear the smoother your power output will be. If you are running a 1x10 then you dont really have a bail-out gear to begin with so you are probably use to pushing a bigger gear. I would suggest a 38 crank and a 11x36 cassette.

Carbon & Ti rule
    ok cool

so shimano or sram???
    On most of my bikes I run the 10 speed sram but with XT cassette,They look better than the cheaper sram cassettes.

The 10 speed shimano set ups is much nicer IMO than the old shimano but I like the Sram stuff much better.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ok cool

so shimano or sram???

I prefer Sram. More precise shifting, less susceptability to malfunction, and lighter weight in general. Though you cannot beat the XT cassette! Absolutely the best value part in all of cycling!

Just remember: Running a 1X9 or 1X10 puts a lot of strain on the jockey pulley. You will pobably need to replace them every season. The symptom will be inconsistent shifting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i have chipped teeth off of two sram 971 cassettes using sram mech and shifters...though i am not sure shimano is any better

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    30T, 1x8 with 10s components on a Hope pro2 SS hub

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    This is one that you should answer for yourself because every one will have a different Idea & it only ever comes down to how you ride,were you ride & how much power you have.

If you can push what you have but run out of top end go 34 & if you run out of gears for climbing stick with the 32

Edit if running a 1x 10 I would run 11-36 it gives you a wider gear range.
    X2 and I prefer SRAM derailleur, shifters....cassette....whichever, and chain Shimano.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Running a Race Face 22; Middleburn ramped 30; The Path bash guard; NOS Race Face Turbine 5 arm, square taper crank; Shimano UN-72, sealed cartridge, BB; 11x34 XT cassette; Sram X-9 shifters; Shimano XT front derailleur; and finally a Sram X-9 mid-cage derailleur.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    34x36 will be basically the same as 32x34. Make the decision based on what you need more, speed or technical riding. Or just split the difference and get a 33.

mtbr member
    33t Rotor Q-ring. It is like 34t when you press down, 32t in dead points. Works.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ross313
    I prefer Sram. More precise shifting, less susceptability to malfunction, and lighter weight in general. Though you cannot beat the XT cassette! Absolutely the best value part in all of cycling!

Just remember: Running a 1X9 or 1X10 puts a lot of strain on the jockey pulley. You will pobably need to replace them every season. The symptom will be inconsistent shifting.
    Keep in mind Shimano went to a shifter/rear der. cable pull ratio very similar to Sram's when they went to 10 spd- the notion of "more precise shifting" is debatable and comes down to what you know
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I run a 11x34 cassette with 26/34 at crank no big ring,works great for me.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent R.
    i have chipped teeth off of two sram 971 cassettes using sram mech and shifters...though i am not sure shimano is any better

You need to stop shifting under full power, back off on the amount of pressure on the pedals when shifting gears, so they stop clunking when shifting. Your shifts should be very low power on the pedals, just spinning and silent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    my 1x9 setup is 34t front and 11-32 cassette. Figure I have 2-3 lighter gears then my singlespeed so I should be able to get up almost everything

Ride and Smile suckas
    34T Raceface up front on some XT cranks. 10 speed XTR med cage derail with a 11-36 XX cassette.
    I am running a 32T on my 1X9 with an 11-34 on the back on another bike. It feels like the 1X10 gives me more at both ends. The 10 speed shifter is smooth as silk too.

also the XX piece is very light and visually appealing!
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

Members who have read this thread: 0