3 year old Reba Race.... good deal, or pass it up?- Mtbr.com
    Bedwards Of The West

3 year old Reba Race.... good deal, or pass it up?

I'm shopping for my first 29er fork, for my first 29er build...so the learning curve is high.

I thought I remembered reading that the 09-10 Rebas have some serious improvements over the older models, but I came across what I assume is an 07...maybe an 06, used but maintained by a mechanic.

What are the pros and cons of the older models, aside from the fact that I have no idea how much this guy beat on it, etc etc. Overall condition is something I'm confident in assessing for myself. I'm more curious about overall performance of this particular fork.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, experience, and demands that I use the search feature. Any input will help.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Motion Control unit was improved in '09. New forks are also stiffer and have post mounts for the brake caliper.

Just how cheap is this used REBA? If this old fork is in good shape but still has the old style motion control unit you will eventually need to replace the unit (approx $80) because the old style will leak. Bushing replacement is also pricey so make sure those are in good shape (see RockShox website for how to check the bushings for play). I think you can find new ones for $300-400 on Ebay...so keep that in mind before pulling the trigger on the used fork that may or may not need some maintenance in the near future.
    Signature

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Thanks. Is there an easy way to tell if the motion control unit has been replaced, or do you have to take it apart? So the older ones are all International Standard brake mount? This is actually a tiny plus, because I already have that adapter for my Hayes caliper. A cheap thing to replace, but it's at least a convenience.

I could get it for $150. Seems like a great deal unless it has issues. I just don't want to buy a fork that everyone but me knows is a piece of crap.

mtbr member
    I'll try to find photos. The adjustment knob on the top of the unit is different.

If this guy has ever serviced it then he should let you take it out. All you have to do is use snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring, then take off the knob, and then put a socket to it to take it out (I believe it is a 22mm socket). New unit is about half the length of the reservoir and dark grey/black. Old unit is really long and light grey in color.

Problem is even though this guy is a mechanic he may have never serviced it. Many mechanics I have talked to have no idea how to service a fork. Most shops just send them out. Kind of a shame really...aside from bushing replacement servicing a fork is fairly simple.
    Signature

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Awesome, thanks for the info.

Bedwards Of The West
    double post..............

mtbr member
    Slight correction to my prior post. Below photos are of the motion control unit removed from the fork.

This is an old one:

New one looks like this:

Notice the shape of the knob on the new one above. This is a good indication that the fork has a newer unit.

Knob on the old unit looks like this (slightly different finish and shape):

If this guy's fork that you are looking at has a remote lockout then I am not sure what the knob should look like. Best bet is to have him yank the unit.
    Signature

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the old unit and never heard that I would have to replace it at some point. Is leaking inevitable, or just possible?

Anyways, I haven't ridden the newer Rebas more than briefly. They are a bit stiffer. I don't know how much different the damping is in practice when comparing units with the same style damper year to year (i.e., an older Race model compared with a newer one). I would say that for a light rider doing XC, the flex isn't too noticeable. I weigh 150 pounds and only notice it a little when hopping around, doing stoppies or whatever. During actual riding conditions I don't notice it. I'm also not used to long travel setups with thru axles either, so bear that in mind.

Then of course there's the newer offset, which might be the biggest difference to most people. I think the new offset is a bonus on most frames. However, if the old Race is in great condition I do not think I personally would pay an extra 250 dollars or more for slightly more "progressive" handling and better chassis stiffness.

Just my very limited 2 cents worth.

mtbr member
    08 and later models are much stiffer. I wouldn't consider an older one. My bike was transformed when I put an 08 on it.

Also, the 08 and later models have greater offest, which improves handling for modern frames.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    Motion Control unit was improved in '09.
    You sure about that? I know some of the higher end Rebas have the Black Box Motion control, but I think the regular motion control is the same design.

Also, replacing an older MoCo unit is $40-$45. I know, I just did so myself.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    I have the old unit and never heard that I would have to replace it at some point. Is leaking inevitable, or just possible?
    I've had the MoCo units in both my forks leak eventually, but in both cases it was a simple matter of replacing an o-ring. Dead simple if you know how to do maintenance in the first place. One unit is an `05, the other an `07, and neither have needed to be replaced due to leaking. One had to be replaced due to a problem with the floodgate knob after 2 years. I probably could have fixed it (I may still do so) but I got a new MoCo unit through my LBS for ~$40-45.

Your Best Friend
    IIRC the 08 model is lumped in with the "older" Rebas. The power bulge and newer offset wasn't introduced until 09.

jrm
    mtbr member

Umm

IMO

The 38mm offset could require use of a + type headset bearing race so theres no contact with the down tube. Also the 38mm offset made the front end squirelly. The forks flex (2 me) was the worst part. I ran a 9mm RWS and it "helped" but still the later reba offerings or a fox F29 are the way to go. Or maybe a nice rigid with a long SC length> maybe

Members who have read this thread: 0